Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CommonShore posted:

Brazen bull.

Good idea, we can stick all the bankers in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Advertising 101.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

I feel like it's necessary to watch with David Mitchell's narration to get the full effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3qPM8BLdE

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Kitsch! posted:

I feel like it's necessary to watch with David Mitchell's narration to get the full effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3qPM8BLdE

TBF, David Mitchell's narration makes everything better.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
So at first we took screenshots of video and captioned them. Now that absolutely ridiculous trend has gotten to the point where we turn those pictures in to full length WEBM's without audio. Reminds me of watching my grandmother lose her sense of self and dignity through Alzheimers.

I Am Crake has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Jan 28, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eh I figure we've got to get sound any time now and I'm hoping for the period where that flies under the radar of the filesharing police.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Eh I figure we've got to get sound any time now and I'm hoping for the period where that flies under the radar of the filesharing police.

But a ton of them (the still-image ones) are from talkshows, british panel shows or sketch shows - all of which are widely available on YouTube. I don't think the BBC is very aggressive in taking down their material online and the talkshow ones are uploaded by the shows' official YouTube channel.

I mean, I get it when it's a clip from a movie or something that's not available for free, but half the time that's not the case.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
With imgur it's a ~*community*~ thing, exactly like you'd find on 9gag or whatever. Some of the people there get all their information from browsing imgur (or reddit) and so they appreciate someone going to all the effort of captioning 5 second looping gifs of videos that they could just watch online for free.

The dumb move in marketing is the absolutely awful community imgur has spawned and encourages.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
sometimes I use the internet in a situation where listening to audio isn't practical so having captioned screencaps etc instead is a practical solution to that problem but I guess my life wouldn't be all that materially impacted if everybody stopped doing it and started linking to youtubes instead so whatever, care about it if you want to I guess

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

I Am Crake posted:

I don't think the BBC is very aggressive in taking down their material online
Then you haven't tried to watch QI :cry:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Then you haven't tried to watch QI :cry:

It really depends on what program you're trying to watch online. Doctor Who is pretty heavily policed on Youtube, and QI can be hard to find at times, but older stuff like Mitchell and Webb is fine.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Cleretic posted:

It really depends on what program you're trying to watch online. Doctor Who is pretty heavily policed on Youtube, and QI can be hard to find at times, but older stuff like Mitchell and Webb is fine.

All of Mitchell and Webb is free on Hulu anyway.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I find BBC is usually pretty slow about catching stuff on DailyMotion myself.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Jeep has some ads out where a spouse comes home one day and has purchased a Jeep, comes in and is just "I bought a Jeep!" and the other spouse is all "Oh good!" or at least "Well that's nice."

If my wife came home and announced she'd bought a loving Jeep I'd hit the goddamn roof, and she'd do the same if I did too.
It reeks of that rich entitlement advertising that the Christmas Lexus ads do - We're so rich we can afford to just go out and buy a $50,000 car on a whim - surprise! We now own a Jeep!

I'd have to be a multi-millionare before I would even consider dropping that much cash on anything without talking it over with my partner first.

princecoo has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Feb 1, 2016

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
That reminds me of the ads some car company came out with around Black Friday, where someone's unloading presents from their car and their neighbor says something like "Oh, so you got up at 4am to chase deals all day and saved $500? Well I saved $2000 and got home in time for lunch!" -- talking about the new car they just bought.

What's the point of that? Yeah, that's a good deal if you're buying a car, but that has nothing to do with what the other person did, which was buying a ton of Christmas presents for multiple people. So why'd they bring it up? Did they just want to brag about their new car? Are they gloating about being alone in the world? Do they want the other person to feel bad for going out of their way to get stuff for their family?

That neighbor's an rear end in a top hat, basically.

Also car ads are dumb.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

princecoo posted:

Jeep has some ads out where a spouse comes home one day and has purchased a Jeep, comes in and is just "I bought a Jeep!" and the other spouse is all "Oh good!" or at least "Well that's nice."

If my wife came home and announced she'd bought a loving Jeep I'd hit the goddamn roof, and she'd do the same if I did too.
It reeks of that rich entitlement advertising that the Christmas Lexus ads do - We're so rich we can afford to just go out and buy a $50,000 car on a whim - surprise! We now own a Jeep!

I'd have to be a multi-millionare before I would even consider dropping that much cash on anything without talking it over with my partner first.

You're supposed to assume they went out specifically that day to buy a car, and they're coming home to announce they went with a Jeep.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

kizudarake posted:

You're supposed to assume they went out specifically that day to buy a car, and they're coming home to announce they went with a Jeep.

Even so, it's a big financial decision. Playing it so flippantly makes it appear like the people who did just buy a Jeep are entitled and wealthy to the point of excess.

I mean, my wife and I do pretty well for ourselves, but even if I was going out to buy a runabout car for like $10,000 and had a couple to choose from, I'd still be on the phone to my wife talking that poo poo over, assuming she didn't come with me in the first place. Nobody just goes "today i will buy a car" and have their partner go "eh, whatever, okay" unless they have so much money that it doesn't matter what car they get.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Parasol Prophet posted:

Also car ads are dumb.

What I'm getting from this is that the reason so many car ads involve driving down conspicuously empty roads is because the people that inhabit the Car Ad Universe are assholes.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Cleretic posted:

What I'm getting from this is that the reason so many car ads involve driving down conspicuously empty roads is because the people that inhabit the Car Ad Universe are assholes.

Conspicuously empty roads and/or Downtown Los Angeles.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cleretic posted:

Or the recent GM ads that had 'Eminence Front' playing as it talked about why driving a Yukon in New York city is being a real man.
Assholes and unable to parse lyrics.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My favorite recent car commercial for the new Audi plug-in hybrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOy3zjdYweI

Because screeching through a residential area in your electric pocket rocket is the way to show that hippy Prius guy.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

KakerMix posted:

Or the recent GM ads that had 'Eminence Front' playing as it talked about why driving a Yukon in New York city is being a real man.
Assholes and unable to parse lyrics.

Most people don't parse lyrics beyond just getting the jist of the chorus and ad people know this.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Commercials have a long history of poor music choices. Whenever Baby Got Back pops up, chances are something went horribly wrong in the making of your commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5X4TSbGreA

Krispy Kareem posted:

Because screeching through a residential area in your electric pocket rocket is the way to show that hippy Prius guy.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lagomorphic posted:

Most people don't parse lyrics beyond just getting the jist of the chorus and ad people know this.
Yeah. It's all about the 'feel' of the song - nobody cares about the meaning of the lyrics outside of the few people laughing about how the ad for baby wipes has a song about cocaine.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

ad for baby wipes has a song about cocaine.

Is this a thing

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

FutonForensic posted:

Is this a thing
In an infinite universe, everything not impossible is true.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

These days it's more likely that the marketing committees intentionally pick songs with incongruous themes anyway, because it means people will share the ad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

swims posted:

Damon Bruce Bay Area sports talk radio guy just had a segment about this ad about 45 min ago.

We're being watched...

Nah there's like an ouroboros for popular content on the internet-- Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, Reddit, Tumblr, and many more portals of which SA is relatively tiny. There are weirdos paid to trawl these sites for anything remotely interesting to put on local news, Buzzfeed, radio, and the like.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
All About that Bass in a diaper ad

Yes, butts, cute, I get it. But it makes me think of babies pooping so deeply and robustly that they create a subsonic soundwave

plorrrrhrhhrhrrhhhppp

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

lol what how did that woman gently caress up collecting eggs so badly?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I bet that Audi ad will be very effective, especially if their market research has shown that the first wave of adopters is past and they need to carve out a new market among the hip and edgy - which would certainly align with what I see on a daily basis.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

I saw an ad for some show about an adult bachelor and a young teenager being friends right after the superbowl (it wasn't 2015, it might have been 2014 or 2013) and the song they used was that one direction song "you don't know you're beautiful"

Now I don't know if theres some hidden deep lyrics in one direction songs but it for sure seemed like the wrong one to use

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

My Lovely Horse posted:

These days it's more likely that the marketing committees intentionally pick songs with incongruous themes anyway, because it means people will share the ad.

It would hardly be surprising considering people's tendency to immediately and without question share anything remotely divisive or controversial on social media.

THIS PETITION IS BULL$H!T!!!11! KANYE SHOULD BE ALOWED TO COVER BOWIES SONGS!!!11! LIKE IF YOU AGREE, IGNORE IF YOUR NOT A TRUE BOWIE FANN!!!!111!one

Then again, the average consumer isn't really paying much attention to songs' meanings when they appear in advertising. How many new products and services were shown to to tune of Imagine Dragons' "Radioactive?" The time of the "new age" in the song is a war-torn post-apocalyptic wasteland devastated by nuclear and chemical weaponry--hardly a suitable setting for the launch of a new smartphone app--but nobody cared. Most people probably went "Hey, I like that song. Cool." and went about their days.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

walrusman posted:

I bet that Audi ad will be very effective, especially if their market research has shown that the first wave of adopters is past and they need to carve out a new market among the hip and edgy - which would certainly align with what I see on a daily basis.

It's like the 'hippies who buy hybrids'' market is now saturated and they're going for the 'people who could care less about hybrids but want to gently caress with hippies/gently caress hippies' demographic. Because that's what I see when I watch that commercial. rear end in a top hat Audi guy is going to totally have sex with bicycle helmet lady while Prius guy cries in his Toyota.

But then gas prices plummeted and rear end in a top hat Audi drivers are just going to buy diesel gasoline cars.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I basically think Audi drivers are huge cockholes anyway (and I live in Germany, so we have a bunch more!), so that ad only confirmed to me that they're working their tried and true core demographic.

"We made an electric car because everyone does it and it would be stupid to skimp on research, but don't worry - you can STILL be an rear end in a top hat about it!"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Car companies looked at Tesla and realized that electric is the new hotness for rich idiots who want to imagine they're saving the planet through capitalism

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Reminder there's a huge swathe of Model Es sold on the idea that it has the perfect acceleration and braking profile to drive like an rear end in a top hat.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

I basically think Audi drivers are huge cockholes anyway (and I live in Germany, so we have a bunch more!), so that ad only confirmed to me that they're working their tried and true core demographic.

"We made an electric car because everyone does it and it would be stupid to skimp on research, but don't worry - you can STILL be an rear end in a top hat about it!"

I call it the Audi algorithm (also works for BMWs)

'The newer the Audi, the more of a wanker the driver will be'

It drops off after about 8 years when the cars get older and they are not driven by psychopathic Patrick Bateman wannabes.

I also had two people very dear to me killed by Audis in accidents in the last 10 years so I am a little biased.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 17:54 on Feb 2, 2016

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Yay it's VALENTINES!!!

God drat this country makes me hate all celebrations and holidays.

Anyway, don't really watch TV or movies, but I do listen to free Pandora, and let me tell you, Shane Co. has got some diamonds for your whooooo-er of a girlfriend/wife. One add is a chick getting miffed at lingerie as a gift, so naturally, you dumb idiot, diamonds! The other add is a girl telling her boyfriend, explicitly "we're not going all the way" without something better than hockey tickets, which he thought was a great V-day gift.

How about no gifts ever? You dumb people don't deserve to be loved.

Glad me and the bf don't do this poo poo.

ETA: WWED? (What would Enrique do?)

Bast Relief has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Feb 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Bast Relief posted:

Yay it's VALENTINES!!!

God drat this country makes me hate all celebrations and holidays.

Anyway, don't really watch TV or movies, but I do listen to free Pandora, and let me tell you, Shane Co. has got some diamonds for your whooooo-er of a girlfriend/wife. One add is a chick getting miffed at lingerie as a gift, so naturally, you dumb idiot, diamonds! The other add is a girl telling her boyfriend, explicitly "we're not going all the way" without something better than hockey tickets, which he thought was a great V-day gift.

How about no gifts ever? You dumb people don't deserve to be loved.

Glad me and the bf don't do this poo poo.

ETA: WWED? (What would Enrique do?)

I don't know how I can so completely agree with a post yet be completely and utterly irritated by the person posting it.