Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Furia posted:

I've only found out about this disaster yesterday and I know that this would be very, very good.

Not that it would help any, but still.

It wouldn't be a disaster for the game's development at all, but it would be glorious drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

D_Smart posted:

It's not. It's pretty damning stuff known only to less than five people; three of whom are at the top. Which leaves very little wiggle room to protect sources. Still trying to figure out a way around it. It's very - very - bad.

Quit dick teasing goddammit. The blue balls are killing me, and V's tired of me whining about my crotch hurting from all the excitement. You're killing me, smalls.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So… how leaky is CIG at the top end if 1/4 is leaking to Derek and EightAce is also privy to horrible details (and the sources aren't one and the same)?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EightAce posted:

- A couple of very public faces have left CIG UK right under everyone's noses. This may be out there already . You will know who if you check ATV and all that bollocks and then see who doesn't appear anymore. Not actual game developers just CS monkeys but significant none the less. The old adage poo poo rolls down hill is never so true when you are involved with CIG ... B4TBG email exchange is still causing fallout ... and all the wrong people are getting blamed

Patrick is gone, isn't he?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Let's speculate as to what each team members final words will be to the public before they leave.

Chris : You fuckers have pushed me too far, you want the fuckin' game? YOU WANT IT?! Fine! take it!

sandi : With how massively successful and well organized everything was (on my end) I want to take this opportunity to tell you some great news...I'M GOING ON HOLIDAY, I know I know you were all probably thinking I needed a break with all the hard work I was putting in, well I had a long think and decided it was time for a short holiday.
So i'm off to Hawaii for the next five years, don't worry i'll have a good place to stay, very affordable, a 15 room mansion by the beach, Gillian's invited it's gonna be great, oh did I not mention? Gillian Anderson, yeah we're best buds, this one time she said.......

Ben : *huuuuuurk*

hoboboy: I got myself a place under the underpass, got my brown bag and some rags, there wasn't much left at the offices cause chris burned it all to the ground...-sigh-

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

But funny too right? Assuming you don't have any money in this and don't work there.

It all depends on if you're a Goon or not. Goons find the fun in all the most hosed up situations. On cue.

They all know that anyone who has anything to share, will most likely come to me. So that makes it a bit difficult to protect sources. Which is precisely why I stayed out of The Escapist thing, though I got accused of being the source (it's false), instead of a bunch of people going TE and explaining their story.

At the end of the day, everyone will be vindicated and this farce - when it collapses (it will - there is no question about this) - will go down in videogame history.

Chris Roberts will be finished. For good this time, as there is no coming back from this level of screw-up.

Sandi Gardiner will go back to being an insufferable nobody.

Ortwin Freyermuth will most likely be disbarred depending on who (private citizens or Feds) goes after them.

Though, from what I know - and which they know I know - I still expect someone to do jail time.

I am going to say this again, there is absolutely NO version of this whereby they get away with $100M+ of public (not private investors) money.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Patrick is gone, isn't he?

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/profile/pixelpicker

He was active on the forums yesterday and his citizen profile is still there. Mike is the same.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

What could Very Very Bad be?

Cutting ships
Introducing a subscription for the PU
Sandi Gardiner leaving
Cutting back to one solar system
Cutting alien races
Moving SQ42 release to 2017
Limits on fish tank sizes
Only 1 alien language
The only pets are going to be cats
Cutting missions from SQ42
Cutting combat from ship boarding, you can board but you need a boarding pass
Change of Engine
Cutting the Professional-quality feature-length “Behind the Scenes of Star Citizen” documentary film.
Cutting Facial Capture System
No Space Plant
Xbox One.

None of the above. The game is never - ever - getting finished; so speculating on what could be cut, is pointless, as that could apply to everything that's not already in.

ps: Remember back when I said all effort was on SQ42? And EightAce pretty much just confirmed it. It's worse than that.

Let me put it this way, on a scale of 1 to its-gone-to-poo poo, where 1 is the on-going SM debacle, what I'm sitting on is at its-all-gone-to-poo poo-in-a-basket level

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 28, 2016

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

D_Smart posted:

I disagree. As a systems level engineer who has built massive games from the ground up, I can sum it all up to one word: CryEngine.

Other than that, yes, you are right. Star Citizen could be made - by the very same engineers there right now - if they built a custom engine for it. I outlined this in my now famous Interstellar Citizens blog.

I wasn't considering the choice of engine part of The Dream, but I suppose that's where audiences are at nowadays. But yeah, the insane limitations imposed by the incompetent management makes otherwise implementable ideas, well, pathological. And while I don't doubt that the engineers could build any system they were asked to build, I doubt there's a man alive that could wrangle them all, have them all building all these insanely stupid and diverse systems together in a cohesive manner, before the company fell apart.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I hope the big thing is something about Feds/IRS getting involved, because as soon as that happens it would be like a signal shot for journalists and publications to properly start reporting about this mess.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, I guess this will play out like any other bank/corporation gently caress-up. Management gets their wrists slapped and goes home, where they have their beds made for them because of the high salary and generous bonuses they allowed themselves in the years before. CIG might also "auction off" the entire RH furniture and that will then be bought for a pitiful sum by either Sandy or a strawman for a fraction of its worth, which means the Roberts condo will be furnished exquisitely as well.

CR may be out of a job forever but I don't see jail time for any of them. They'll do some sort of deal (like pay all money the owe the government or some poo poo) and the shafted one is the little guy as usual. Even though the "little guy" should not pay upwards of 1k for a computer game in the first place... so they deserve what they get.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

D_Smart posted:

None of the above. The game is never - ever - getting finished; so speculating on what could be cut, is pointless, as that could apply to everything that's not already in.

ps: Remember back when I said all effort was on SQ42? And EightAce pretty much just confirmed it. It's worse than that.

Let me put it this way, on a scale of 1 to its-gone-to-poo poo, where 1 is the on-going SM debacle, what I'm sitting on is at [bits-all-gone-to-poo poo-in-a-basket[/b] level

I've been wondering just one thing, why are you doing this here? Don't get me wrong, I think this whole thing's fantastic and I've gained a huge amount of respect for you but you haven't always got along with the goonpile. What changed to make you want to bring this here and not to any other pit of the internet full of equally depraved monsters who would just as cheerfully watch SC burn down?

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Let me put it this way, on a scale of 1 to its-gone-to-poo poo, where 1 is the on-going SM debacle, what I'm sitting on is at [bits-all-gone-to-poo poo-in-a-basket[/b] level

Ooh, ooh, is it like the Molyneaux/Godus thing where it turns out all backers funds have been used to make an IAP-heavy iPad game of SQ42? :allears:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

None of the above.

I think Sandi Gardiner will quickly exit if it becomes obvious the good times are coming to an end.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tippis posted:

So… how leaky is CIG at the top end if 1/4 is leaking to Derek and EightAce is also privy to horrible details (and the sources aren't one and the same)?

Problem is that a LOT of people are VERY upset about how the development and company are going, but can't say/do anything about it.

And those people are talking among themselves, not knowing who is talking to others (friends, family, industry contacts, media) outside of the enclave that is CIG/RSI.

They KNOW that this game has zero chance of being completed; and that when it all goes to poo poo, it's going to be a huge poo poo stain on their resumes, their rep and stuff they can't even talk about on the record (outside of a lawsuit in which they will be compelled to talk) because talking anon leaves a lot of room for people to make light of their plight.

Unfortunately for CIG/RSI execs (Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ortwin, Simon), there is only so much that they can keep a lid on, due to the fact that other people HAVE to be privy of certain company ops and decisions.

ps: I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

D_Smart posted:

ps: I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.

:shittypop:

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

bumbles posted:

I am erect

This is my constant state.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

They had that Gillian Anderson / X-Files sale I think.

nope it was the Xi'An Khartu ninja move sale

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

D_Smart posted:

Problem is that a LOT of people are VERY upset about how the development and company are going, but can't say/do anything about it.

And those people are talking among themselves, not knowing who is talking to others (friends, family, industry contacts, media) outside of the enclave that is CIG/RSI.

They KNOW that this game has zero chance of being completed; and that when it all goes to poo poo, it's going to be a huge poo poo stain on their resumes, their rep and stuff they can't even talk about on the record (outside of a lawsuit in which they will be compelled to talk) because talking anon leaves a lot of room for people to make light of their plight.

Unfortunately for CIG/RSI execs (Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ortwin, Simon), there is only so much that they can keep a lid on, due to the fact that other people HAVE to be privy of certain company ops and decisions.

Wowwwwww

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

He was active on the forums yesterday and his citizen profile is still there. Mike is the same.

Thanks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Sandi Gardiner leaving

But this is good, not bad? :v:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen :Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.
:captainpop: :chanpop::yarg: :gary:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

D_Smart posted:

:vince:

:frogon:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

It's not your fault whatever happens. The reddit folks are crazy and can't help themselves, collecting spaceships is an addiction for some and they are protecting their dealer. I liked the shiny spaceships too, I just pulled myself together after a few months when stuff started to seem fishy. It's not even entirely their fault they're so crazy, they've been encouraged all along the line.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
There's potential for some yet-untapped comedy gold if some of this information is coming from a high-profile source. Aside from the obvious jokes about it being Chris, Sandi, or Ben, etc. - the truth is that to be getting away with leaking this amount of data from a company expending incredible energy trying to prevent exactly that, and not get caught yet, you have to know what you're doing. What you're saying, who you say it to, where you choose to talk, when you choose to talk; it all leaves a trail, unless you're very thorough. The very fact that the people are still getting away with it tells me that it won't be anyone we expect.

Honestly I think it's not one person, but just a whole mess of people in the middle. You can be a mid-level developer and still get wind of what's going on in meetings you weren't involved in - that is how offices work. The only thing that captures my interest is the statement by EightAce that if he leaked too much more, it would be "obvious" who is leaking it. If this is not misdirection, then we're going to have a hell of a good time here when and if that name gets revealed.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Gilganixon posted:

I've been wondering just one thing, why are you doing this here? Don't get me wrong, I think this whole thing's fantastic and I've gained a huge amount of respect for you but you haven't always got along with the goonpile. What changed to make you want to bring this here and not to any other pit of the internet full of equally depraved monsters who would just as cheerfully watch SC burn down?

An audience to Bask in His Greatness?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

AP posted:

poo poo don't tell me its Token the Money guy who is gone

edit: oh CIG UK..nvm

Tullius
Dec 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Keep going I'm nearly there

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

D_Smart posted:

:five: :f5: :five:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

EminusSleepus posted:

poo poo don't tell me its Token the Money guy who is gone

edit: oh CIG UK..nvm

Disaster. Who will Sandi roll out whenever she needs to prove she's not racist?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

D_Smart posted:

It's not. It's pretty damning stuff known only to less than five people; three of whom are at the top. Which leaves very little wiggle room to protect sources. Still trying to figure out a way around it. It's very - very - bad.

Derek I really hope you randomly add and subtract numbers whenever you say things like that, they may be playing office guess who and narrowing down the possible names. Loose lips sink ships.

Don't reply here confirmation by feeding the ducks usual time, brown bread means yes white bread means I'm off my diet.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
When this steaming shitpile collapses in on itself, is it actually going to make gaming history or is it just going to be a footnote? Who is honestly going to be suprised apart from the die hard whales?

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Tullius posted:

Keep going I'm nearly there

Ugh, tell me... tell me..... you're going to run it by legal, ohhhhh&hhhdgehdhrhdjdjf

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

It'd be interesting to hear what someone like Brian Fargo or Jordan Weisman thinks about CRI and SC. I'm assuming neither are going to needlessly burn a bridge until they know 100% that Roberts has hit pariah status, but I have to imagine they're particularly annoyed and worried about how likely it is that SC's failure will significantly impact their abilitity to fund their games/studios going forward.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
My personal bet is that it's straight-up evidence of a financial meltdown. Whether embezzlement or a leak of the level of salary/dividend payments being shelled out to the senior management...or even just a huge unpaid tax or rent bill. That's the only thing I can think of that would be known to so few. Surely any big technical problems would be known to the team that raised them?

Bootcha's remarks have included a lot of oblique references to dubious people hanging around the Croberts Duo, and Ortwin looks stunningly dubious. I'd trust this lot as far I could throw them.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Ledenko posted:

When this steaming shitpile collapses in on itself, is it actually going to make gaming history or is it just going to be a footnote? Who is honestly going to be suprised apart from the die hard whales?

If it was 100 million and people losing $60 each, it would be the worst gaming disaster ever, the worst crowd funding disaster ever. On a scale with bitcoin that nobody cares about apart from insane nerds.

It's not $60 though, some are in for $20k or $30k, it's TV movie level stuff.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ledenko posted:

Maybe not directly gaming history (aside from the way people like to talk about thousands of Atari ET cartridges being buried in the desert), but this does have a high chance to cripple the concept of crowd funding for a long time.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Scruffpuff posted:

There's potential for some yet-untapped comedy gold if some of this information is coming from a high-profile source. Aside from the obvious jokes about it being Chris, Sandi, or Ben, etc. - the truth is that to be getting away with leaking this amount of data from a company expending incredible energy trying to prevent exactly that, and not get caught yet, you have to know what you're doing. What you're saying, who you say it to, where you choose to talk, when you choose to talk; it all leaves a trail, unless you're very thorough. The very fact that the people are still getting away with it tells me that it won't be anyone we expect.

Honestly I think it's not one person, but just a whole mess of people in the middle. You can be a mid-level developer and still get wind of what's going on in meetings you weren't involved in - that is how offices work. The only thing that captures my interest is the statement by EightAce that if he leaked too much more, it would be "obvious" who is leaking it. If this is not misdirection, then we're going to have a hell of a good time here when and if that name gets revealed.

It doesn't take much of a stretch to realize how much most of the rank-and-file workers must loathe upper management by now. They have already had loads of people leave 'senior' and 'executive' positions, which are likely the ones that most directly have to deal with Roberts and his constantly changing vision. I mean, just imagine you are an industry professional trying to get a real game created and you see Roberts go in front of all his fans and promise hunting birds on procedurally generated planets (or whatever). Everything about it is just ridiculous. I can't even imagine the hell of working for the CIG CS department under Sandi.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can't believe how stupid, petty, greedy and short-sighted these dipshits running the show are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
God I really want to read the postmortem book on this. I want, nay, need more than some Kotaku article.

E: Can you embed gifs in a book yet, this is actually super important to the ~fidelity~ of the Star Citizen story.

• Locked thread