Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kinda sad that they have obviously spent so much money on their facilities etc and are having these kind of problems. Wouldn't like a CFO or someone step and and say "uh hey guys we can make do just fine with a room full of Ikea desks here instead of a $20,000 table"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

That Works posted:

Kinda sad that they have obviously spent so much money on their facilities etc and are having these kind of problems. Wouldn't like a CFO or someone step and and say "uh hey guys we can make do just fine with a room full of Ikea desks here instead of a $20,000 table"

CFOs ruin dreams

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ledenko posted:

When this steaming shitpile collapses in on itself, is it actually going to make gaming history or is it just going to be a footnote? Who is honestly going to be suprised apart from the die hard whales?

Sadly, yes.

When it inevitably does it'll taint the whole crowdfunding system. People are going to look back with doubt at the accountability provided by the system.

Someone mentioned earlier that those who stood to lose the most are the little people that participated in this, that they'll get slapped on the wrist and everyone else will pay the bill. But it won't be just the people that lost their money there: it'll be every other indie developer that has an idea they need money for.

I mean, at least from far away Chris & co. seem like experienced developers and producers and such. If they couldn't make it with a huge budget, how will an indie developer without experience make it with 100,000th of the budget SC had, even if the scope is much smaller?

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AP posted:

If it was 100 million and people losing $60 each, it would be the worst gaming disaster ever, the worst crowd funding disaster ever. On a scale with bitcoin that nobody cares about apart from insane nerds.

It's not $60 though, some are in for $20k or $30k, it's TV movie level stuff.

Exactly. Even if it just turns out to be another case of Crobber promising too much and mismanaging a project and there's nothing dodgy going, it's noteworthy simply because it's been crowd funded to the tune $100m+ by selling spaceship jpegs for thousands.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

You gonna make the best game ever you need the best office ever.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It doesn't take much of a stretch to realize how much most of the rank-and-file workers must loathe upper management by now. They have already had loads of people leave 'senior' and 'executive' positions, which are likely the ones that most directly have to deal with Roberts and his constantly changing vision. I mean, just imagine you are an industry professional trying to get a real game created and you see Roberts go in front of all his fans and promise hunting birds on procedurally generated planets (or whatever). Everything about it is just ridiculous. I can't even imagine the hell of working for the CIG CS department under Sandi.

I can't even imagine how toxic the work environment is by now, and I suspect that is even in comparison to some of the horror stories we've heard like rockstar Australia and such. Turnover is toxic. A sense that you can not speak your mind is toxic. The idea that the task or vision in front of you is demonstratively impossible and you will eventually be punished for not achieving it? gently caress.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Dogstoyevsky posted:

God I really want to read the postmortem book on this. I want, nay, need more than some Kotaku article.

E: Can you embed gifs in a book yet, this is actually super important to the ~fidelity~ of the Star Citizen story.

Goons have to do it. It's up to us (Gorf).

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

What could Very Very Bad be?

Cutting ships
Introducing a subscription for the PU
Sandi Gardiner leaving
Cutting back to one solar system
Cutting alien races
Moving SQ42 release to 2017
Limits on fish tank sizes
Only 1 alien language
The only pets are going to be cats
Cutting missions from SQ42
Cutting combat from ship boarding, you can board but you need a boarding pass
Change of Engine
Cutting the Professional-quality feature-length “Behind the Scenes of Star Citizen” documentary film.
Cutting Facial Capture System
No Space Plant
Xbox One.

Derek Smart Was Right

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dogstoyevsky posted:

God I really want to read the postmortem book on this. I want, nay, need more than some Kotaku article.

E: Can you embed gifs in a book yet, this is actually super important to the ~fidelity~ of the Star Citizen story.

Btter still, just make a book with buttons you can press to make sounds.

#1 : PAAAAARP (obviously)

#2 I am a shrewd business woman

#3 I am not a crook

#4 LET ME loving FINISH!

#5 ah did naht have sexual relations with that woman (chris about sandi)

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Furia posted:

Sadly, yes.

When it inevitably does it'll taint the whole crowdfunding system. People are going to look back with doubt at the accountability provided by the system.

Someone mentioned earlier that those who stood to lose the most are the little people that participated in this, that they'll get slapped on the wrist and everyone else will pay the bill. But it won't be just the people that lost their money there: it'll be every other indie developer that has an idea they need money for.

I mean, at least from far away Chris & co. seem like experienced developers and producers and such. If they couldn't make it with a huge budget, how will an indie developer without experience make it with 100,000th of the budget SC had, even if the scope is much smaller?

It's probably going to have a lot to do with how media reports it - "We saw it coming" vs "Greatest crowdsourcing flop ever" sort of thing. Or they'll blame us.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I kind of don't want Star Citizen to collapse, I would miss all my wonderful thread friends.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This place is going to be awesome when the game falls. Pages of goon schadenfreude derived laughter interspersed with new regs coming in and telling us how we destroyed the game and ruined everything.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

D_Smart posted:

None of the above. The game is never - ever - getting finished; so speculating on what could be cut, is pointless, as that could apply to everything that's not already in.

ps: Remember back when I said all effort was on SQ42? And EightAce pretty much just confirmed it. It's worse than that.

Let me put it this way, on a scale of 1 to its-gone-to-poo poo, where 1 is the on-going SM debacle, what I'm sitting on is at [bits-all-gone-to-poo poo-in-a-basket[/b] level
Let me guess: What EightAce said about there being no playable missions yet is true because they're working on all the cutscenes before even bothering to make the game? Like CRobbers is literally making his mocap movie and there's no Squadron 42 game?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

If you take 1000 monkeys and 1000 computers, one of them will, given enough time, code a stable PU.
You would need immortal monkeys of course, thats the problem.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
EightAce stay safe. I hope G0rf is safe too.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Thoughts? I think it ties in with all the secretive poo poo, I wonder who deepthroat will be?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If you take 1000 monkeys and 1000 computers, one of them will, given enough time, code a stable PU.
You would need immortal monkeys of course, thats the problem.

I would take an unstable PU with 1000 monkeys running around in it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

That Works posted:

Well you have a problem if your CFO has to step in on something like that. Procuring office furniture and supplies is a very easy skill to hire for. Like, to me it'd take CFO involvement (or some senior sponsor) to not get cheap office furniture.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Well you have a problem if your CFO has to step in on something like that. Procuring office furniture and supplies is a very easy skill to hire for. Like, to me it'd take CFO involvement (or some senior sponsor) to not get cheap office furniture.

I guess, just wasn't sure of the scale of that for a company of this size. Still, who the gently caress was in charge of buying big ticket stuff like that and was there just no voice of reason? I mean you want to have some nice things for your webcast lounge or whatever, I understand that, but everything we've seen seems to be covered in wasteful opulence compared to most functional organizations. Was there ever a person who had the responsibility to say "we aren't going to get paid if we keep dumping money on this crap."

I say this as someone working for a research institute that just canned their CFO because we had a long period of unchecked spending on cosmetic things at the institute followed shortly after by having to cut some staff.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

That sounds like something a publisher would say.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

That Works posted:

Procedural monkeys are yet to be confirmed. Wait for the next 10ftc.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

That's a stretch goal.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

It's not. It's pretty damning stuff known only to less than five people; three of whom are at the top. Which leaves very little wiggle room to protect sources. Still trying to figure out a way around it. It's very - very - bad.

Encrypt it, post it, release the key after the fact. Don't gently caress the encryption key this time.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Dear thread, I was on the tube in London a few days ago and snapped a photo under the guise of admiring some awesome eyebrows. Can you confirm that the weird guy on the left is actually wearing a star citizen patch on his coat?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

Encrypt it, post it, release the key after the fact. Don't gently caress the encryption key this time.

Or, submit a ticket so Star Citizen CS asking if you can release it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's from a couple of days ago, but made me lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tippis posted:

The hollywood dramatisation will be the only place to experience the far more fun narrative, and if/when it crashes, I'm sure someone somewhere will start hatching ideas on how to make it work…

at best a made for tv movie

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

chaosbreather posted:

I wasn't considering the choice of engine part of The Dream, but I suppose that's where audiences are at nowadays. But yeah, the insane limitations imposed by the incompetent management makes otherwise implementable ideas, well, pathological. And while I don't doubt that the engineers could build any system they were asked to build, I doubt there's a man alive that could wrangle them all, have them all building all these insanely stupid and diverse systems together in a cohesive manner, before the company fell apart.

Excellent point. Which is precisely why I keep saying that the project's problems are down to two things:

1) Chris Roberts

2) CryEngine

The Sandi connection (which includes her sycophants Ben, Lando et al) is largely inconsequential since she has nothing to do with design and/or engineering.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

fuctifino posted:

It's from a couple of days ago, but made me lol

Sure ben tell that to sandi, loving fat prick.... >:[

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Like they have a legit cfo that doesn't bend to Croberts will...

And isn't complicit in whatever's happening now.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

D_Smart posted:

The Sandi connection (which includes her sycophants Ben...

now now, Ben isn't her sycophant, per se

he's just in awe that she's getting CR's D

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Ash1138 posted:

Let me guess: What EightAce said about there being no playable missions yet is true because they're working on all the cutscenes before even bothering to make the game? Like CRobbers is literally making his mocap movie and there's no Squadron 42 game?

Maybe the mocap data doesn't work with CryEngine? :allears:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ash1138 posted:

This is basically what I guessed. MORE MOCAP SESSIONS! Do they have a professional video editing studio yet? If not, that'll be going in too!

MeLKoR posted:

Seconding this.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Hopper posted:

I dunno, I guess this will play out like any other bank/corporation gently caress-up. Management gets their wrists slapped and goes home, where they have their beds made for them because of the high salary and generous bonuses they allowed themselves in the years before. CIG might also "auction off" the entire RH furniture and that will then be bought for a pitiful sum by either Sandy or a strawman for a fraction of its worth, which means the Roberts condo will be furnished exquisitely as well.

CR may be out of a job forever but I don't see jail time for any of them. They'll do some sort of deal (like pay all money the owe the government or some poo poo) and the shafted one is the little guy as usual. Even though the "little guy" should not pay upwards of 1k for a computer game in the first place... so they deserve what they get.

Money laundering = jail time

Wire fraud = jail time <--- you would be surprised how easy it is for the Feds to nail people under this statute and for the most simple things (e.g. wiring ill-gotten gains from one account to the other)

SEC violations = jail time

Tax evasion = jail time <--- FATCA is a real thing. Trust me, with my international holdings, it's been a filing nightmare these past few years

There are a million other things which, if they are in fact guilty (I am not saying that they are, since there is currently no actual evidence of that available), they could all be nailed for, given the amount of money involved, the media spectacle etc.

Trust me, collapse is imminent because there is no way they can do the things they're doing, and get away with it.

Anyone who things the SM debacle was all there is to it, is in for a rude awakening. Two weeks.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

e.g: encrypt it, don't hash it - or if you hash it make sure you're not hashing a few common english words so that rainbow tables can be used.
Password protected zip with a single text file in it and a long passphrase is perfect.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

This is basically what I guessed. MORE MOCAP SESSIONS! Do they have a professional video editing studio yet? If not, that'll be going in too!

Seconding this.

Mocap is done. All the actors are working on other things (except sandi lol)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Reading what's happening to CIG now is like reading the most cringeworthy elements of the post-mortem for both 3D Realms and Ion Storm Dallas. You've got Romero's insistence on overly-expensive facilities and lack of coherent vision and Broussard's scope creep and visceral addiction to reworking nearly-complete elements.

At this stage it would almost be a step forward to scrap everything, license the COBRA game engine, and start from scratch after actually hammering out a reasonable and immutable scope.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Anybody placing bets on the odds that Sandi divorces Chris after the money train is gone and he is disgraced for life? I'm thinking like three months, tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Derek how much do you think cr and other higher ups are making GBS threads their pants right now? Are they aware that all this is happening?

• Locked thread