Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Romes128 posted:

Mocap is done. All the actors are working on other things (except sandi lol)

No clarification needed, no one here thinks "Sandi!" when they hear "actors."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

okay, time for everyone in the thread to reveal which CIG employee they are, this has been a fun 'forums criticism simulation' exercise,

Guys it was me, Ben Lesnike, the whole time!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
OK here's my official guess (until my next official guess), cobbled together from all the evidence, actions, money, players involved, and statements made:

SQ42 will be the only product CIG releases, and every other aspect of the project is going to be scrapped. PU, Arena Commander, social module, hangar - all of it.

This will be spun in the exact same way Chris spun the cancellation of Star Marine. They will go on record stating that the new (and much more awesome) tech being used in SQ42 will , with some tweaking, become the new foundation of the PU and everything else they promised.

Let's see how close I get.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

By the way, whoever was Derek, you did an amazing job!!! See me after

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Scruffpuff posted:

OK here's my official guess (until my next official guess), cobbled together from all the evidence, actions, money, players involved, and statements made:

SQ42 will be the only product CIG releases, and every other aspect of the project is going to be scrapped. PU, Arena Commander, social module, hangar - all of it.

This will be spun in the exact same way Chris spun the cancellation of Star Marine. They will go on record stating that the new (and much more awesome) tech being used in SQ42 will , with some tweaking, become the new foundation of the PU and everything else they promised.

Let's see how close I get.

You've given them too much credit. SQ42 never leaves the cryengine editor.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Happy Sisyphus posted:

okay, time for everyone in the thread to reveal which CIG employee they are, this has been a fun 'forums criticism simulation' exercise,

I AM SMARTACUS!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

A story where D Smart is the hero, what a time to be alive.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Sandweed posted:

He's not the hero we wanted but maybe the one we deserve?

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
TWO WEEKS!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gilganixon posted:

I've been wondering just one thing, why are you doing this here? Don't get me wrong, I think this whole thing's fantastic and I've gained a huge amount of respect for you but you haven't always got along with the goonpile. What changed to make you want to bring this here and not to any other pit of the internet full of equally depraved monsters who would just as cheerfully watch SC burn down?

I get asked that a lot. And the answer remains the same.

Unlike other forums (which I don't visit anymore because I don't like being harassed amid the noise) where this farce is taking center stage, the fact that SA is self-policed, not a hug box, is critical to the decimation of information. You goof, someone's going to rip you a new one. On the spot. You excel, someone's going to notice it, and say something. Here, you get to take the hits and misses in stride.

Of course it helps that the level of humor is so pervasive that the common man will have a hard time deciding whether or not that spaghetti sauce recipe is somehow telling you it's laced with arsenic - because who looks at an SA recipe and decides to go cook it? With a straight face? Without somehow wondering if it's poison. I mean, nothing as innocent as that, slides by without someone thinking twice about it. And when you have to sift through pages and pages of recipes, you become self-aware, hardly noticing that, just few pages back, someone was doing an effort post about the suicidal tendencies of people spending thousands on JPEG ships.

The SA forums have always - to me - been that closet at your old house.

You grow up, but still have the memories. Then once in awhile, you drive by to see how the house is doing.

Then one day the new owners happen to be home. You knock on the door to say hi.

They greet you, and ask you in.

Then promptly knock you out, and toss you in the closet, just for shits 'n giggles.

And go make tea. And offer you some. As if nothing happened.

You're sitting there, still slightly stunned - drinking tea. And wondering just how hosed up the new residents are. Just like the old ones.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Happy Sisyphus posted:

im the hot chick with the big boobies holding the laptop around a bunch of loser nerds playing tabletop game

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

find starcitizen/ -name '*' -exec cat {} \; > oneliner.lol
tr -d '\n' < oneliner.lol

took me like two minutes to understand that joke
totally worth it though

...how 'bout you stop bashing Chris's life's work

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

D_Smart posted:

The SA forums have always - to me - been that closet at your old house.

You grow up, but still have the memories. Then once in awhile, you drive by to see how the house is doing.

Then one day the new owners happen to be home. You knock on the door to say hi.

They greet you, and ask you in.

Then promptly knock you out, and toss you in the closet, just for shits 'n giggles.

And go make tea. And offer you some. As if nothing happened.

You're sitting there, still slightly stunned - drinking tea. And wondering just how hosed up the new residents are. Just like the old ones.

this is the weirdest goddamn analogy about any online community i've ever read in my life and i question whether you may have suffered a previous life of abuse

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Iridium posted:

this is the weirdest goddamn analogy about any online community i've ever read in my life and i question whether you may have suffered a previous life of abuse

same

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
:allears: Derek, that is the best explanation of SA possible.

Tea?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

took me like two minutes to understand that joke
totally worth it though

...how 'bout you stop bashing Chris's life's work

rofl :)

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Iridium posted:

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Resonates with me.

E: vvv I think that might be the fifth stimpire.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

Imagine, just imagine for a moment... after the cataclysmic collapse of this all, D_Smart taking over as new god_emperor of CIG, renames it SIG, and produces a halfway usable game out of it.
Just imagine the self-loathing of the whales who will find themselves forced to play this game out of sunk-cost-fallacy induced shame.

Isnt it beautiful?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Imagine, just imagine for a moment... after the cataclysmic collapse of this all, D_Smart taking over as new god_emperor of CIG, renames it SIG, and produces a halfway usable game out of it.
Just imagine the self-loathing of the whales who will find themselves forced to play this game out of sunk-cost-fallacy induced shame.

Isnt it beautiful?

It wouldn't be the first time he salvaged a failed project and made something halfway usable out of it. Except I think the last time taught him a valuable lesson about inheriting technical debt.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
It's amazing and horrible to me that the focus of their ire is still on a backer they banned from their forums making them look ridiculous. Beer didn't even have to try, and even now he's continuing to own them without even having to do anything. They're jumping up on their expensive tables and waving their arms around over something their idiot backers don't even believe is real. It's just unfathomable to me that they'd look away from all these people, their backers actually stirring to be angry and going "Nah it's fine let's ignore them."

It's just as Beer said earlier. Trust is not something you can easily get back once you've started to lose it. Blind faith is near impossible to regain once you've violated that trust, and it's all self-inflicted wounding at this point.

Kakarot posted:

I better move my money from Star Citizen to Lego :tinfoil:

Invest in the karma for Chris cause it's gonna be underfoot someday :unsmigghh:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Problem is that a LOT of people are VERY upset about how the development and company are going, but can't say/do anything about it.

And those people are talking among themselves, not knowing who is talking to others (friends, family, industry contacts, media) outside of the enclave that is CIG/RSI.

They KNOW that this game has zero chance of being completed; and that when it all goes to poo poo, it's going to be a huge poo poo stain on their resumes, their rep and stuff they can't even talk about on the record (outside of a lawsuit in which they will be compelled to talk) because talking anon leaves a lot of room for people to make light of their plight.

Unfortunately for CIG/RSI execs (Chris, Erin, Sandi, Ortwin, Simon), there is only so much that they can keep a lid on, due to the fact that other people HAVE to be privy of certain company ops and decisions.

ps: I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.

Worst of all? Their actions have made it such that outside of a very small group of people, most are happy to spill the beans. Why? Because of how they are being treated, how the company is handling the project, and the direction that the project is going in.

It is an amazing thing when you are privy to insider (being an employee, contractor or whatever) information, while seeing the public facing bullshit the company is peddling. Anyone with a sliver of conscience is going to remember all those things; while keeping their head down and pulling a pay check for as long as possible.

And when you run a project in which 500+ people have been a part of it at some point or another and been made privy to dodgy things, now you have a problem with leaks. People WILL talk. People ARE talking. And it's about to get a whole lot worse.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I just realized that Roberts is just using the same scam that Mel Brooks had in "The Producers": Get more investor money than you could ever truly need for a production, make that production flop in the cheapest way possible, pocket the money since every investor counts it as a loss for the production being bad. Except with all the dumb decisions made, this will actually flop.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

thank mr spaceship

This thread. Holy poo poo. The brown sea in revolt, an insider posting in the thread, Derek with his hand on a trigger. :f5: :f5: :f5:

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Haha I fuckin love that analogy, then again I've been here on and off for ugh 13 years. I like dark tea unsweetened please!

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

It wouldn't be the first time he salvaged a failed project and made something halfway usable out of it. Except I think the last time taught him a valuable lesson about inheriting technical debt.

"failed project" doesnt play in the same league as this. It doesnt play the same game, and it does so on a different planet.
He is the arch-enemy of the people who would then have to decide to either play HIS game, or not play their dream come true at all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Rhubarb94 posted:

Derek I really hope you randomly add and subtract numbers whenever you say things like that, they may be playing office guess who and narrowing down the possible names. Loose lips sink ships.

Don't reply here confirmation by feeding the ducks usual time, brown bread means yes white bread means I'm off my diet.

Yup. Those are hypothetical numbers to give an idea of the predicament I'm in, related to my sources. And it's one of the major things holding up my much delayed Dec blog. :(

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I just realized that Roberts is just using the same scam that Mel Brooks had in "The Producers": Get more investor money than you could ever truly need for a production, make that production flop in the cheapest way possible, pocket the money since every investor counts it as a loss for the production being bad. Except with all the dumb decisions made, this will actually flop.

STARRING BEN LESNICK AS

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Wow, I expected poo poo to hit the fan but not this soon obviously. I think Derek is right and it will be a miracle if they last until December 2016. It is only January and they have already been starting to teeter in the eyes of their mentally retarded fans. To us, the garbage dump is on fire, has grown to epic proportions and is going to ignite the methane from the rot that has been going on for years. The tell alls from what happened will be legend. It makes me, like others, want to pen something about it.

I do think that someone will end up in jail or at least pennieless. Like Chris being in a refrigerator box doing hand gestures to no one on the street. You simply cannot take 100 million of people's money, use it on poo poo that they did not give it to you for and simply expect the government not to notice. Videogame or not. Kickstarters have already been punished for doing so. The FTC will go after them for it.

Someone mentioned the guys doing Battletech and they have already taken subtle digs at Roberts. Elite doesn't bother because its very existence is a dig at him, with Roberts copying their every move.

As for what is the worst, there are a couple of things I can think of.

- The baby PU is done. It will never get improved or go beyond what it is. When they considered it a large chunk finished, they meant it.

- More motion capture re-shoots with expensive actors.

- Elite will release a character creator soon and now Roberts wants one.

- Squadron 42 will no longer have gameplay and is just a movie or will be akin to a telltale game

- Focusing on cosmetics for sale that Chris is micro managing

- The game is going free to play with microtransactions

- They are planning to flee to a non extradition country

- Something so frivolous and stupid that I cannot even imagine it. Cargo stacking, drink mini game, a tourism ship with movies, scrapping and redoing a lot of ships, the 37 clothing lines, adding eating and drinking and making GBS threads.

And at the end of the day, people will realize Derek Smart was right all along. I cannot imagine how much that will burn some people.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

D_Smart posted:

the common man will have a hard time deciding whether or not that spaghetti sauce recipe is somehow telling you it's laced with arsenic - because who looks at an SA recipe and decides to go cook it? With a straight face? Without somehow wondering if it's poison

loving GWS, I loving knew it :mad:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Gillian Anderson will put this on her resume.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Isnt it beautiful?

It would be best if he did the voice acting and face for all ships computers and station mission/trade consoles, also mo-cap him in as the flight instructor.

Force the whales to follow orders from Derek or fail every mission.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Skellybones posted:

I wonder if Gillian Anderson will put this on her resume.

This whole project was part of the viral marketing for the X-Files relaunch.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

EightAce posted:

- I know what they are currently concentrating on , it is simply unbelievable . I cant say what it is for obvious reasons but it is up there with the farming module. talk about fiddling while Rome burns .....

In my head, the thing you're referring to here is the 10 hours of SQ42 cutscenes. It's the stupidest thing I can imagine concentrating on, and fits perfectly with fiddling. That said, I know somehow they will surprise me and it will be something even more stupid.

In my darkest fantasies, I'm picturing SQ42 being released as an FMV/QTE game. Then, that's it, nothing more is ever released, none of the existing releases are ever upgraded or improved again, the whole operation just goes belly-up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Scruffpuff posted:

This, but with the star citizen jpeg

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

I do think that someone will end up in jail or at least pennieless. Like Chris being in a refrigerator box doing hand gestures to no one on the street. You simply cannot take 100 million of people's money, use it on poo poo that they did not give it to you for and simply expect the government not to notice. Videogame or not. Kickstarters have already been punished for doing so. The FTC will go after them for it.

i do have to wonder about this. going by their recent refund refusal emails it seems they are angling for donations aspect of crowdfunding, or was that just the true believers saying that? i cant even tell the difference anymore.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

I literally thought this earlier.

She's the FBI agent involved.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.

Is the Fed agent Dana Scully?

e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rhubarb94 posted:

It would be best if he did the voice acting and face for all ships computers and station mission/trade consoles, also mo-cap him in as the flight instructor.

Force the whales to follow orders from Derek or fail every mission.

Just Derek's voice going LANDING GEAR UP CONTACT CONTACT CONTACT forever and ever.

• Locked thread