Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dapper Dan posted:

- The baby PU is done. It will never get improved or go beyond what it is. When they considered it a large chunk finished, they meant it.

- Squadron 42 will no longer have gameplay and is just a movie or will be akin to a telltale game

And at the end of the day, people will realize Derek Smart was right all along. I cannot imagine how much that will burn some people.

That's pretty much what i'm thinking. Except i think they've made a boo boo with that Squadron 42 and it's not going to resemble what they have marketed it to be.

also the PU in it's current form is what you see is what you get cause they're isn't any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Dapper Dan posted:

I do think that someone will end up in jail or at least pennieless. Like Chris being in a refrigerator box doing hand gestures to no one on the street. You simply cannot take 100 million of people's money, use it on poo poo that they did not give it to you for and simply expect the government not to notice. Videogame or not. Kickstarters have already been punished for doing so. The FTC will go after them for it.

We're talking about the United States and white collar crime. People gave someone money on the internet of their own free will, and were promised things --- but not in a way that CIG, etc would be held responsible to. Crowdfunding and all. Especially now that they've labelled this a final release.

Call me cynical, but I doubt there will be jail or homelessness. He might have to take a lovely job from one of his industry friends, but I bet he even keeps the McMansion he bought (allegedly) on jpeg money. He'll just be a joke, but not as big of a joke as the backers. He'll lose the wife, though. She seems to be in it for the money.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

fuctifino posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
ps: I have a third meeting with the Feds on Feb 3rd, and another with State officials on Feb 17th. That is all.
:five: :f5: :five:

Quite a number of people don't realize just how serious I am taking all this. I'm not doing it for shits 'n giggles; or because I don't have better things with my time and money, but to spend it on legal bills, investigations, research etc.

And the latest thing to irk me (because I know a lot more than what has been public), is the Illfonic situation and how RSI/CIG have pretty much thrown them under the bus over SM since last year. And if you've heard my rants about how they are treating some of the people still working on this project, then you already have a pretty good idea what my motivation for all this is. Outside of the fact that they drew first blood.

Since no private person is going to be able to sue them over Star Citizen without going through arbitration, even though there is a very slim chance that it can be tossed out of arbitration and into court (State or Federal), I have been hoping (yeah, I know right?) that they'd sue me by now because that gets around the entire arbitration conundrum and gets the ball running. But they know that ANY lawsuit for ANY reason that arises out of this farce, makes it open season on everything - including Star Citizen which is the reason for all this. My attorney already put them on notice in one of his letters (which I made public) for that specific reason.

And since I have no intentions (at this time) of suing Chris or CIG/RSI over his defamatory diatribe (in his response to The Escapist), since that's just going to be a waste of time given how long it would take to slog through that and get to the Star Citizen part, I am left with no choice but to do precisely what I said I would do: get the State and Fed authorities involved so that THEY can go take a look and determine what's best for the consumer. After all, that's precisely what the FTC (a Fed agency) is for.

And since I haven't and wont' do ANYTHING illegal, they simply can't hurt me in any way, shape or form (Chris knows this, and has said on the record that "I have nothing to lose". He's right) over this, given the fact that 1) I'm not making poo poo up on a whim 2) most of what I've stated as opinion and/or hyperbole is not legally actionable 3) any action they bring, and which we get tossed is a win for me and very - very - bad for them, they have no choice but to weather the storm until they either deliver or fold.

Chris's commentary over the SM debacle should be notable to anyone who read his Escapist diatribe and understood the tone, premise and hubris within.

They've been playing a very bad game of "Derek Smart" poker with me. And losing. And I don't even play poker.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Agrajag posted:

i do have to wonder about this. going by their recent refund refusal emails it seems they are angling for donations aspect of crowdfunding, or was that just the true believers saying that? i cant even tell the difference anymore.

I think that will be hard to prove and anybody could see they intentionally misled people on that fact. I mean, unless they are making Star Citizen a religion or something, where you can just pray for a game and it might or might not be delivered by your lord and savior Christ Roberts

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Next X-Files episode covers a cult that spirited away 107 million united states dollars.

Also,

quote:

Any company that hasn't got its workforce constantly working, is losing money.
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6300061/#Comment_6300061

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

D_Smart posted:

It's not. It's pretty damning stuff known only to less than five people; three of whom are at the top. Which leaves very little wiggle room to protect sources. Still trying to figure out a way around it. It's very - very - bad.

Haven't you, by saying that, already done the damage? Now it's evident that one of 5 people talked to you.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Making it Rain posted:

also the PU in it's current form is what you see is what you get cause they're isn't any more.

i called that poo poo when they put out the DogFighting module thing and everyone said that they would expand on it.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Amen.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

D_Smart posted:

And since I have no intentions (at this time) of suing Chris or CIG/RSI over his defamatory diatribe (in his response to The Escapist), since that's just going to be a waste of time given how long it would take to slog through that and get to the Star Citizen part, I am left with no choice but to do precisely what I said I would do: get the State and Fed authorities involved so that THEY can go take a look and determine what's best for the consumer. After all, that's precisely what the FTC (a Fed agency) is for.

Ouch, given out government's general attitude -- better to support seedy businesses than general consumers -- this kinda makes me afeared. Can you not sue them over the actual project now that they've refunded you?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

fuctifino posted:

It's from a couple of days ago, but made me lol

lol DRAMA...CIG gave scam a new synonym its DRAMA

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Thirsty Dog posted:

Dear thread, I was on the tube in London a few days ago and snapped a photo under the guise of admiring some awesome eyebrows. Can you confirm that the weird guy on the left is actually wearing a star citizen patch on his coat?

nah that's a UK clothing line, forgot the name

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jon Do posted:

We're talking about the United States and white collar crime. People gave someone money on the internet of their own free will, and were promised things --- but not in a way that CIG, etc would be held responsible to. Crowdfunding and all. Especially now that they've labelled this a final release.

Call me cynical, but I doubt there will be jail or homelessness. He might have to take a lovely job from one of his industry friends, but I bet he even keeps the McMansion he bought (allegedly) on jpeg money. He'll just be a joke, but not as big of a joke as the backers. He'll lose the wife, though. She seems to be in it for the money.

Oh, the backers will be mocked until the end of time. I don't think many of them actually play video-games though. It was a bunch of autists that didn't touch games since their childhood and had no idea what went into making a game and just trusted Roberts.

As for Roberts, I think his name will be poison. I don't think anyone is willing to risk having his name on a project ever again after this one, friend or not. And no publisher is going to touch him when he basically insulted and berated them. As well as blowing the biggest crowdfunding campaign in history. They might buy him a beer though for absolutely destroying the confidence in any future endeavors, making gamers much more likely to buy from them.

Making it Rain posted:

That's pretty much what i'm thinking. Except i think they've made a boo boo with that Squadron 42 and it's not going to resemble what they have marketed it to be.

Yeah, SQ42 is hosed. I don't think they are going to implement gameplay to get it out and just have it be a walking simulator/movie, at least for the first part and they will go 'gameplay coming soon!' And yup, I believe that about the PU because Roberts never gave a gently caress about it in the first place because he is a oval office and doesn't care about the people who gave him money

D_Smart posted:

Outside of the fact that they drew first blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVqOgklHhF0

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

D_Smart posted:

Worst of all? Their actions have made it such that outside of a very small group of people, most are happy to spill the beans. Why? Because of how they are being treated, how the company is handling the project, and the direction that the project is going in.

It is an amazing thing when you are privy to insider (being an employee, contractor or whatever) information, while seeing the public facing bullshit the company is peddling. Anyone with a sliver of conscience is going to remember all those things; while keeping their head down and pulling a pay check for as long as possible.

And when you run a project in which 500+ people have been a part of it at some point or another and been made privy to dodgy things, now you have a problem with leaks. People WILL talk. People ARE talking. And it's about to get a whole lot worse.

two weeks.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sarsapariller posted:

Haven't you, by saying that, already done the damage? Now it's evident that one of 5 people talked to you.

If you assume the information is important and it is, then those five people are important to the project and they can't just up and fire one of them or interrogate them. They are already having trouble keeping staff as it is.

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

EminusSleepus posted:

lol DRAMA...CIG gave scam a new synonym its DRAMA

"leavers"...? Really? Competent HR departments worldwide just doubled over in pain.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Feb 3rd und 17th.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

It's not your fault whatever happens. The reddit folks are crazy and can't help themselves, collecting spaceships is an addiction for some and they are protecting their dealer. I liked the shiny spaceships too, I just pulled myself together after a few months when stuff started to seem fishy. It's not even entirely their fault they're so crazy, they've been encouraged all along the line.

No, it's all Chris's fault. Every bit of it. It's his program, his dream, his vision, his failure. He's the face of this monstrosity and I sincerely hope that his failures hound him for the rest of his life. Everything else, from Ben's incredible incompetence to Sandi's predatory marketing "genius", stems from him and his constant inability to deliver. The man does not care. Even now, with his community royally pissed off because he was dumb enough to admit how little he gives a poo poo about them, he's sitting in his reality distortion field assuming everything is fine. It's the Hitler bunker video all over again. I spent years contributing in an honest and earnest manner, providing thoughtful feedback on everything from the toxicity of the community to level design of ships. None of it matters because Chris Roberts is a fraud, a self-entitled embarrassment of a human being who surrounds himself with sycophants and culls anyone who dares question his nonexistent talents. He took the greatest opportunity ever given to a game developer, a blank check to build the game of his dreams, and squandered it. He has ruined lives, tarnished careers, uprooted families, wasted millions, and years later hasn't learned a single loving thing. I hope he spends the rest of his life as a punch line.

Anyone who works at Cloud Imperium Games and is reading this: Get Out Now. Please. You are quickly nearing the point where your affiliation with this clusterfuck is going to harm your career. The people who have left before you talk about how they are treated as refugees within the greater game dev community. That may not happen for much longer. This company will not fail gracefully. Look at 38 Studios and how those workers simply stop getting paid one day. That is your future, if CIG doesn't lay you off first. Look at your game. Really, truly, honestly look at the entirety of your project and what you are really delivering compared to what was promised. Is this a project that's on track? Is this a company that's well managed and has a viable delivery strategy? You know it's not. Get out.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

D_Smart posted:

They've been playing a very bad game of "Derek Smart" poker with me. And losing. And I don't even play poker.

That explains the Uno cards

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Skellybones posted:

That sounds like something a publisher would say.

The funny thing about the "publishers are EVIL!!!" narrative is that CIG is acting exactly like a publisher would and nothing like a game developer.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

fuctifino posted:

It's from a couple of days ago, but made me lol

That comment by Ben enrages me more than it should. "Manufactured internet drama." Motherfucker, guy left his job. That's a real-life event, not "internet." And how is it "manufactured?" What does that even mean? And what internet drama? People are asking about a guy leaving his job, and Ben lets slip that he spends all his time reading this forum and trying to stay ahead of the curve by referring to the real-life impact of someone leaving a job as "manufactured internet drama." What a prick.

Ben, say "Wing Commander" again, you fat rear end in a top hat. Say it. Say "Wing Commander". I wanna hear you loving say it. Cram it in sideways like you did during the last broadcast. We wanna hear it.

Such disrespect and disregard is boiling my blood.

I mad, bro.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

EightAce, I'm glad you're OK man. Please don't risk your job by spilling juicy bits of gossip to us.

PS Does she sorta move like a bird? With her head all darting around and poo poo?
Is Lesnick as intolerable as he seems? Apologies if you are Lesnick.

Hey EightAce. Don't sign an NDA. If you have all kinds of juicy bits to share with us I'm sure goons could donate to your patreon to support your writing of said expose.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Agrajag posted:

i do have to wonder about this. going by their recent refund refusal emails it seems they are angling for donations aspect of crowdfunding, or was that just the true believers saying that? i cant even tell the difference anymore.

This option is completely sunk through their own actions. Think of all the ship "sales" they've had. You can melt ships for specific monetary value in credits and exchange the resulting credits for other ships of a specific value. They've sold gift cards with value denominated in currency, exchangeable for ships with defined prices. They've charged VAT for ship purchases.

Any argument what-so-ever about the backer money being donations is a non-starter, full stop. It wouldn't pass preliminary arguments in any legal action.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No, it's all Chris's fault. Every bit of it. It's his program, his dream, his vision, his failure. He's the face of this monstrosity and I sincerely hope that his failures hound him for the rest of his life. Everything else, from Ben's incredible incompetence to Sandi's predatory marketing "genius", stems from him and his constant inability to deliver. The man does not care. Even now, with his community royally pissed off because he was dumb enough to admit how little he gives a poo poo about them, he's sitting in his reality distortion field assuming everything is fine. It's the Hitler bunker video all over again. I spent years contributing in an honest and earnest manner, providing thoughtful feedback on everything from the toxicity of the community to level design of ships. None of it matters because Chris Roberts is a fraud, a self-entitled embarrassment of a human being who surrounds himself with sycophants and culls anyone who dares question his nonexistent talents. He took the greatest opportunity ever given to a game developer, a blank check to build the game of his dreams, and squandered it. He has ruined lives, tarnished careers, uprooted families, wasted millions, and years later hasn't learned a single loving thing. I hope he spends the rest of his life as a punch line.

Anyone who works at Cloud Imperium Games and is reading this: Get Out Now. Please. You are quickly nearing the point where your affiliation with this clusterfuck is going to harm your career. The people who have left before you talk about how they are treated as refugees within the greater game dev community. That may not happen for much longer. This company will not fail gracefully. Look at 38 Studios and how those workers simply stop getting paid one day. That is your future, if CIG doesn't lay you off first. Look at your game. Really, truly, honestly look at the entirety of your project and what you are really delivering compared to what was promised. Is this a project that's on track? Is this a company that's well managed and has a viable delivery strategy? You know it's not. Get out.

I wish I had a plane so I could drop this post a leaflets over Santa Monica, Austin and Manchester

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

I get asked that a lot. And the answer remains the same.

Unlike other forums (which I don't visit anymore because I don't like being harassed amid the noise) where this farce is taking center stage, the fact that SA is self-policed, not a hug box, is critical to the decimation of information. You goof, someone's going to rip you a new one. On the spot. You excel, someone's going to notice it, and say something. Here, you get to take the hits and misses in stride.

Of course it helps that the level of humor is so pervasive that the common man will have a hard time deciding whether or not that spaghetti sauce recipe is somehow telling you it's laced with arsenic - because who looks at an SA recipe and decides to go cook it? With a straight face? Without somehow wondering if it's poison. I mean, nothing as innocent as that, slides by without someone thinking twice about it. And when you have to sift through pages and pages of recipes, you become self-aware, hardly noticing that, just few pages back, someone was doing an effort post about the suicidal tendencies of people spending thousands on JPEG ships.

The SA forums have always - to me - been that closet at your old house.

You grow up, but still have the memories. Then once in awhile, you drive by to see how the house is doing.

Then one day the new owners happen to be home. You knock on the door to say hi.

They greet you, and ask you in.

Then promptly knock you out, and toss you in the closet, just for shits 'n giggles.

And go make tea. And offer you some. As if nothing happened.

You're sitting there, still slightly stunned - drinking tea. And wondering just how hosed up the new residents are. Just like the old ones.

:eyepop:
Trump/Smart 2016 :911:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:drat: :master: :drat:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
Weird, /r/dereksmart is pretty silent about this...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's amazing and horrible to me that the focus of their ire is still on a backer they banned from their forums making them look ridiculous. Beer didn't even have to try, and even now he's continuing to own them without even having to do anything. They're jumping up on their expensive tables and waving their arms around over something their idiot backers don't even believe is real. It's just unfathomable to me that they'd look away from all these people, their backers actually stirring to be angry and going "Nah it's fine let's ignore them."

It's just as Beer said earlier. Trust is not something you can easily get back once you've started to lose it. Blind faith is near impossible to regain once you've violated that trust, and it's all self-inflicted wounding at this point.

It makes perfect sense when you look at them as a bunch of self-entitled narcissists who only care about something when it personally affects them.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

drat dude, you sound p mad. buttsalt assmad much? hahaha

anywa :agreed:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

Do you see a killing blow anytime soon, metaphorically speaking? Basically, I'm talking about a point at which the damage you can do is enough to topple the whole thing and your moles inside will be safe from reprisal because it will be dead.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

D_Smart posted:

None of the above. The game is never - ever - getting finished; so speculating on what could be cut, is pointless, as that could apply to everything that's not already in.

ps: Remember back when I said all effort was on SQ42? And EightAce pretty much just confirmed it. It's worse than that.

Let me put it this way, on a scale of 1 to its-gone-to-poo poo, where 1 is the on-going SM debacle, what I'm sitting on is at its-all-gone-to-poo poo-in-a-basket level

They are going to re-shoot the Motion capture.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

The funny thing about the "publishers are EVIL!!!" narrative is that CIG is acting exactly like a publisher would and nothing like a game developer.

Well yeah, to be a developer they'd have to make a game, or something.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
You guys are all full of poo poo. Star Citizen is fine and coming along nicely, and whilst it may not be perfect, I have full confidence in that it will turn out to be a very good game. Don't believe all the BS that you read here.

BTW, does anyone want to buy account?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

1500 posted:

They are going to re-shoot the Motion capture.

No way the actors are on board with that - they got their checks and they've moved on. I stand by my prediction - EVERYTHING except SQ42 is going to be scrapped, and Chris will tell everyone that SQ42 is the new foundation for the PU. Except it won't get that far.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I also can't see how anyone is like 'don't fault the whales or large, almost-whale backers'... hell even just the regular backers contributed to this mess.

Alarm bells went off in my head the FIRST time I heard about Star Citizen. "So...people can pay thousands of dollars to have an advantage that will eventually never be sold again?"

Tupac was right, we need to teach a class on scams in public schools.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

Apart from the Star Marine drama, the buggy mess of 2.1.1 and the incredible list of unfilled promises there's no real proof this is going to end anytime soon. I don't know what Derek knows to judge what effect it will have but the reddit Citizens don't trust him at all.

They'll be reading though and maybe quietly starting to consider selling their ships.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Scruffpuff posted:

That comment by Ben enrages me more than it should. "Manufactured internet drama." Motherfucker, guy left his job. That's a real-life event, not "internet." And how is it "manufactured?" What does that even mean? And what internet drama? People are asking about a guy leaving his job, and Ben lets slip that he spends all his time reading this forum and trying to stay ahead of the curve by referring to the real-life impact of someone leaving a job as "manufactured internet drama." What a prick.

Ben, say "Wing Commander" again, you fat rear end in a top hat. Say it. Say "Wing Commander". I wanna hear you loving say it. Cram it in sideways like you did during the last broadcast. We wanna hear it.

Such disrespect and disregard is boiling my blood.

I mad, bro.

loving ben, what a sycophantic tool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Friendly Tumour posted:

drat dude, you sound p mad. buttsalt assmad much? hahaha

anywa :agreed:

I am a butthurt special snowflake entirely made of salt.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Iglocska posted:

They are all crying onto their keyboards as they type their desperate "why don't you love me" refund requests. If they hadn't banned all the sane people we could have given them advice on dealing with CIG's staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://redd.it/425coh

LTI limited ships going for below cost considering he's paying paypal fees.

• Locked thread