Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Earthbound is one of the most charming and unique games I have ever had the pleasure of let’s playing. It is bursting at the seams with personality and humor and I can’t believe I waited so long to sit down and play this gem. In an era where most RPGs were about far away fantastical lands, Earthbound is refreshingly down to earth and earnest in its satire.

Development on Earthbound (AKA Mother 2) began shortly after the release of Mother in Japan in 1989 by a combined team of Ape Inc. (who would later become Creatures, the dev team behind Pokémon) and HAL Laboratories (who most people would know as the developers of Super Smash Brothers). These two developers were comprised of a different team than the developers of the original Mother. To say the game had a troubled development would be an understatement, as it took over five years to complete with many developers working nights and weekends. The game was reportedly almost cancelled several times. According to director and writer, Shigesato Itoi, the project’s problems were solved when programmer (and future president of Nintendo) Satoru Iwata joined the team.

Itoi used a technique he dubbed "reckless wildness" to develop Earthbound, which basically means that anything was on the table. He wanted to encourage his developers to come up with news ways of portraying ideas in a video game medium. He recognized that they were developing a game and not what he called "big scenario scripts". He wanted the players to have an emotional reaction while playing the game. Music composer Hip Tanaka was a huge contributor to how well Earthbound pulled this off. Sound design is so often underlooked when evaluating why a game succeeds or fails, and I feel like it’s worth mentioning how well the soundtrack pulls the whole experience together. The fight music isn’t just standard uptempo fare, it’s discordant and it makes you feel uneasy. Almost like you’re an 11 year old kid who got thrown into a situation that was way over his head. There are so many instances where the sound design plays perfect with the visuals and the gameplay, but I don’t want to talk about it too much here for risk of spoilers, but we will be pointing out several of these as we go.

Mother 2 was released in August 1994 in Japan and localization on the North American release began. The original Mother was never released in NA and for fear of confusion about what it was a sequel to, the name was changed to Earthbound. Dan Owsen of Nintendo of America began translation but was moved to another project after having completed about 10% of the translation. Still, he is credited with coming up with some of the more memorable phrases, such as “say fuzzy pickles”. Marcus Lindblom took over localization duties and was faced with a rather interesting challenge, as he had to translate a game that was essentially "an outsider's view of the U.S." to American audiences. He was given an immense amount of freedom from Nintendo to do so and introduced many Western culture references to the dialogue, including Bugs Bunny, Benny Hill, and Spinal Tap.

Unfortunately despite the labor of love that localizing Earthbound became for Lindblom, Earthbound released to a lackluster reception in the US. This was largely due to a poor marketing campaign that revolved around the tagline “this game stinks’. Nintendo released awful smelling stratch n’ sniff stickers of the game to tie into the marketing campaign. In the end, despite spending $2 million in marketing, the game sold only around 140,000 copies in NA, compared to nearly twice that in Japan. I must admit that I didn’t even know Earthbound existed until Ness was a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Because of the poor sales and the decline of the Super Nintendo, Mother 2 did not see a European release until the global Virtual Console release on the WiiU. Nintendo also elected not to release Mother 3 outside of Japan, a decision which has yet to be rectified. Fortunately Earthbound has gained a comparatively massive following in the decade since its release and many critics today laud it as a wonderfully crafted RPG. Not only has Nintendo released Earthbound on the Virtual Console, but they also just recently released the original Mother (called Earthbound Beginnings in the US) on the Virtual Console as well.

Videos:
================

Episode 01 - Ness Ketchum

Episode 02 - Eating Socks

Episode 03 - Giant Step

Episode 04 - Fuzzy Pickles

Episode 05 - New Age Retro Hippie

Episode 06 - Fuzzy Pickles

Episode 07 - Happy Happy

Episode 08 - Lilliput

Episode 09 - Zombie Town

Episode 10 - Tessie

Episode 11 - Zombie Haircut

Episode 12 - Saturn Valley

Episode 13 - Milky Well

Episode 14 - Fourside

Episode 15 - Mole Cave

Episode 16 - The Third Strongest

Episode 17 - Moonside

Episode 18 - Too Many Monkeys

Episode 19 - Runaway Choppers

Episode 20 - Fresh Sock Smell

Episode 21 - Dad Phone Man

Episode 22 - Bumpin Kraken

Episode 23 - Sneaky Hieroglyphs

Episode 24 - HNNNGGGG

Episode 25 - Vindication

Episode 26 - Lethal-Asp Hieroglyphs

Episode 27 - Come Play With Us

Episode 28 - Yellow Submarine

Episode 29 - Deep Darkness

Episode 30 - Kidnapping

Episode 31 - Stonehenge

Episode 32 - Starman Super

Episode 33 - The Great Escape

Episode 34 - Overcoming Shyness

Episode 35 - Dinosaur Land

Episode 36 - Smaaaash

Episode 37 - Analysis Mode Engage

Episode 38 - Unleash Your Potential

Episode 39 - Taking Back Onett

Episode 40 - The Fight With Giygas

Episode 41 - Going Home (Epilogue)

================

The Story So Far...
================

One of the wonderful things about Earthbound is that, even though it’s a sequel, the player does not need to have played Mother at all. The setup is simple: Many years ago the evil Giygas attacked Earth and was repelled by a hero, but he was not destroyed. Now he returns and seeks to destroy all that you hold dear...

================

Characters:
================

The Heroes

Ness (AKA Alden, as we named him) is the protagonist of Earthbound. Being that you can not only name Ness, but he has no explicit dialogue other than the options you pick, it’s kind of hard to nail down a personality for him. He kinda falls into that blank slate protagonist area, where the player can insert themselves into his shoes.

Paula (AKA Jacky) is the first party member we get to recruit. Other than the fact that we have seen her character art and named her we have no idea who she is right now, so I will leave this blank until we get later in the story.

Jeff (AKA Alex) is our third recruit. Once again we have no idea who he is or what he’s up to, so he shall remain a mystery.

Poo, (AKA Droo) is our fourth and possibly most mysterious of mystery recruits, whose deeds shall remain nameless. For now.

Ness’ dad plays an important role in the game, despite being a phone. He deposits money into your bank account and acts as a save point throughout the game.

Ness’ mother plays a very important role in the story. She is a constant in Ness’ life, someone he can always turn to for a nice hot <your favorite food> and some motherly advice. Whenever Ness is feeling homesick he only needs to call his mom and hear her voice to feel better. There’s a reason these games are called “Mother”, but we’ll get more into that later.

The Villains

Giygas is the main villain of Earthbound, returning to reprise his role from Mother. At the end of Mother the player (a young boy named Ninten) manages to drive off Giygas, but Giygas is not destroyed. Now he returns to Earth and begins corrupting everything around him.

One of the most iconic villains of the series, Starman is featured on the box art of the North American version as well as in the Smash Run mode of Super Smash Bros for 3DS. His design is heavily based off of the robot Gort from the classic sci fi movie “The Day the Earth Stood Still”. At this point Starman has done little aside from travel back in time and try to kill us, but we can only assume his evil has just begun…

Pokey is a dick. There’s just no other way to say it. He’s self centered, egotistical, and a coward. Pokey was a trash human being before Giygas showed up and guess what? It’s all downhill from here. His brother Picky ain’t so bad though.

Seeing as this is an RPG and not only are there dozens of enemies but it seems like everything in the entire world wants to kill you we’re just going to say Giygas is the big bad and everything is his fault. Which is actually pretty accurate, as Giygas’ presence causes people to become corrupted and evil. When you defeat enemies you’re not killing them so much as you are snapping them out of their Giygas induced daydreaming.

--------------------------------------------------------

Below are some scans of the Earthbound preview that ran in an old issue of Nintendo Power, courtesy of Y-Hat. Thanks again, dude!

Y-Hat posted:

As promised, here are the NINTENDO POWER PREVIEW SCANS!!!!! This is what got me interested in Earthbound. It's as charming as the game itself.

This was the cover of Nintendo Power Volume 70. Right below where the Chicago Bulls and (original) Charlotte Hornets mascot are tipping off is the section where the Earthbound preview ran. Epic Center was the dedicated RPG section of Nintendo Power, and it debuted in this very issue. They ended up running it inconsistently. Side note: I didn't keep this in good condition, so it obscures the "2" that comes after the first look at "Star Fox." That ended up being canceled. The Virtual Boy probably should have been canceled. Spoiler alert: Donkey Kong Country ended up winning Best Game in the 1994 Nintendo Power awards.

The preview hooks you right off the bat. "The Geek" is Giygas, and as I said before, it's probably because its Japanese name is "Giyg." Also, there are no living kitchen implements in the final version.

The format of the rest of the preview is in a spoof off the National Inquirer. Already, it's a hell of a lot better than the ad campaign that came out outside of Nintendo Power. Also, here is where you learn that Ness is 13.

Part one of the party and friends preview. Dodgeball, obviously, did not make the cut. And if you look closely, Ness's PSI Special is named "Drill." That's one of the default names you can choose for your favorite thing. Pretty badass. There's also a cute nod to Link and Zelda.

I didn't do as good of a job of scanning this page, but the screenshot with the Bad Buffalo shows that Jeff fired "five Pencil Rockets." That became the Big Bottle Rocket in the end. The name "Threek" became the more pleasant sounding "Threed," although it's probably a better name thematically considering that zombies overrun the town. The Inquirer calls him "Pu," but the screenshots show him off as "Poo." And they mixed up Apple Kid with Maxwell Labs, who ends up making the Bad Key Machine (your "best skeleton key in the world.") Oh, and the Ghost of Starman was originally Starman's Ancestor.

Nothing much to elaborate on here. "Escargo Express" is referred to by the actual spelling of "escargot." The end result probably makes for a better delivery pun.

There is no pie to be had in Earthbound, and they don't elaborate on what the "blobs" are made out of.

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 01 - Ness Ketchum

Hey guys, and welcome to my let’s play of Earthbound! I’m super excited to kick this guy off, but first things first I’d like to thank my good buddies Alden (A440V), Alex, and Jackie for pitching in on this one. Also I’d like to note here that this is decidedly not going to be a speed run, we’re going to take more of a “stop and smell the roses” approach. That doesn’t necessarily mean showcasing 100% of the game’s content, but we are going to be stopping and talking to lots of people, even ones who are not at all relevant or necessary to the plot.

Without further ado, I present to you: episode 1 of Earthbound! I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed recording it.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 02 - Eating Socks

It's time to get to the first big town, Onett! Being our first destination it's also home to our first boss: Frankie. Frankie can be challenging for a couple reasons. First off, he's our first boss so players might not be expecting the spike in battle difficulty, especially if you don't bring enough heal items and go in straight from fighting the Sharks in the arcade. There's also another boss fight directly after Frankie with no time to heal in between, which can be bad if you blow all your items and PP on the first fight. As long as you heal up and bring at least a couple hamburgers you should be fine. Just make sure to keep an eye on your HP.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
I am enjoying the Lp so far.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
I'm enjoying seeing/hearing other people going through the game for the first time and experiencing the weirdness.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

JEBOman posted:

I am enjoying the Lp so far.

Testikles posted:

I'm enjoying seeing/hearing other people going through the game for the first time and experiencing the weirdness.

Thanks! I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 03 - Giant Step

Having rid the arcade of Sharks, mayor B.H. Pirkle is more than happy to handover the key to the shed so we can get to Giant Step! This marks our first of the 8 soundstone memories and I have to say it’s quite a nice little tune.

Also we encounter our second boss, the Titanic Ant. Much like the regular ants you have to fight along the way, he doesn’t like fighting alone. He can also drain your PP, so it can be advantageous to open with some PSI moves and make the most of it while you’ve got it. Pack plenty of healing items because that also means you can’t rely on having Life Up.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 04 - Fuzzy Pickles

We're back to Onett for a quick stop before we can head to Twoson. We have to tackle the infamous police fight before the road to Twoson is opened to us. Supposedly hypnosis can affect these cops, but we didn't exactly have great luck with that strategy. If you find yourself having trouble with this fight it might not be a bad idea to level up a few times and come back to it. If we manage to defeat this deadly gauntlet we can travel to Twoson, which has wonderful music. The astute may recognize it as the music I've been using during the ending card. I haven't mentioned this before, but quick shoutout to Alden (A440V) for writing that sweet sweet Twoson cover for us!

we also encounter the mushroom status for the first time, which if you are near the Twoson hospital and can take advantage of the guy who buys them off your head for $50 is not that terrible. If you are anywhere else it's a huge pain, as there are extremely few options to get rid of the mushroom status.

I know we've encountered him before, but in honor of today's episode title I'd like to point out how much I love the fuzzy pickles guy. Every time he shows up it just puts a smile on my face.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
Is the reason we knew to beat The Sharks and get the key for the shack because we were supposed to talk to everyone and discover a locked shack to which the mayor has a key? Or did I miss someone telling us to go to Giant Step?

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

JEBOman posted:

Is the reason we knew to beat The Sharks and get the key for the shack because we were supposed to talk to everyone and discover a locked shack to which the mayor has a key? Or did I miss someone telling us to go to Giant Step?

In the first episode Buzz Buzz tells us that the first sanctuary location is a place called "Giant Step" near Onett.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Also, I think the mayor will say something about how much trouble the Sharks are giving him if you talk to him before beating them up.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 05 - New Age Retro Hippie

The enemy design in this game is great. You can really see the influence of Itoi’s “nothing is off the table” mentality of game design here, because there’s a really wide range. You get sci-fi themed robots, small woodland creatures, walking plants, and just regular everyday people. Some of the enemy types, like the new age retro hippie or the drunken party guy, really ground the game in reality. They give you a sense that this world really isn’t too different from our own. Then they throw in the sci fi aliens and exploding trees and let you know that this is still a fantastical video game world with psychic powers, so we’re gonna have some fun.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ceraph posted:

The enemy design in this game is great. You can really see the influence of Itoi’s “nothing is off the table” mentality of game design here, because there’s a really wide range. You get sci-fi themed robots, small woodland creatures, walking plants, and just regular everyday people. Some of the enemy types, like the new age retro hippie or the drunken party guy, really ground the game in reality. They give you a sense that this world really isn’t too different from our own. Then they throw in the sci fi aliens and exploding trees and let you know that this is still a fantastical video game world with psychic powers, so we’re gonna have some fun.
Yeah, the contemporary setting in Earthbound is nice, and you don't see it in too many RPGs (beyond Pokemon, which as you've noted comes from the same people).

Earthbound is a neat-looking game that I've seen a lot of (through reading other LPs and stuff) and perhaps one day I'll get a WiiU and get it for Virtual Console. In the meantime, things like this are fun to watch :).

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
Just a tip since it came up in the fourth video: calling Ness's mom doesn't stop him from becoming homesick, it just cures it once it happens. (The condition pops up randomly once you hit a certain level.) So you can call her as much as you want, it won't cause you to miss anything!

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Alien Arcana posted:

Just a tip since it came up in the fourth video: calling Ness's mom doesn't stop him from becoming homesick, it just cures it once it happens. (The condition pops up randomly once you hit a certain level.) So you can call her as much as you want, it won't cause you to miss anything!

Oh okay, that's good to know. Thanks!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Peaceful Rest Valley if I recall is another brick wall for players. It's where the game really takes off the kid gloves and because you're alone in your party, it makes things more hectic. I never had much trouble with the Capt. Strong fight, but this always bogged me down way back then.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

An Earthbound LP? Fine by me, it's my favorite game of all time. I've been a big fan since it was released in 1995. Now it's on Virtual Console, and it's been such a success that it even outsold an NES game that was being sold for 30 cents around the time of its re-release. They even officially released Mother 1 (Earthbound Beginnings) on VC for the first time outside of Japan just last year, and Reggie Fils-Aime said that he hasn't ruled out an official translation of Mother 3 in the future if people keep buying both games. In fact, a couple of unofficial sources have said that they will be releasing Mother 3 later this year.

With all that being said, it's easy to forget that there was once a time where it felt like Nintendo simply didn't give a poo poo about the game to ever give it another time in the sun. The speculation was that there was so much borrowed licensed music (by the way, this game has one of the best soundtracks on the SNES) that there would be a flood of copyright lawsuits if they ever brought it back. It turns out that for the longest time, Nintendo of Japan simply had no idea that Earthbound had this cult following in America. It was a long 18 years for them to acknowledge its fans, but it was worth the wait. Most indie RPGs have been inspired by Earthbound, including Undertale.

Sorry for the raving. I just love this game.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Testikles posted:

Peaceful Rest Valley if I recall is another brick wall for players. It's where the game really takes off the kid gloves and because you're alone in your party, it makes things more hectic. I never had much trouble with the Capt. Strong fight, but this always bogged me down way back then.

Peaceful Rest Valley will mess you up and not think twice about it. Like you said we still only have one party member, we have to deal with enemies that can poison you give you the sniffles, and it's also a really long trek.

Y-Hat posted:

In fact, a couple of unofficial sources have said that they will be releasing Mother 3 later this year. ...

Sorry for the raving. I just love this game.

Rave all you want! Earthbound is a wonderful game and more people should know about it. I would be all over Mother 3 if it came out in the west. Maybe I should go buy some more copies of Earthbound on the VC just to be sure...

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 6, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The strategy guide that came with the game said that there was another use for condiments, although I never managed to make it work. It seems that certain items, when used in combat, will consume the condiment but not consume the item itself, letting you use the item more than once. This isn't a big deal for most items, but a particular rare stat-increasing item would be a really good one to duplicate...

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think it has to do with the bottom items in the inventory.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ceraph posted:

Rave all you want! Earthbound is a wonderful game and more people should know about it. I would be all over Mother 3 if it came out in the west. Maybe I should go buy some more copies of Earthbound on the VC just to be sure...
Reggie Fils-Aime more or less said last year that buying this and EB Beginnings is the best way of ensuring Mother 3 (which will almost certainly be renamed) makes a Western release, so that would be wise. I know Beginnings has all the problems that go with being an NES RPG, but it's still worth buying just to be completely sure. Plus, it's better than other NES RPGs. For me, there are only three or four real troublesome areas, and the challenge for two of them can be mitigated somewhat with the Bread Crumbs.

Edit: There are so many cool little facts about the making of this game that I'll probably provide links to, but Iwata's involvement was one of my favorite tidbits. Specifically, I think he helped put them a year ahead of schedule in fixing it up the problems that Nintendo faced.

Edit 2: I didn't know that pop culture reference to the Mr. Baseball Cap. There's a lot of them in Earthbound, especially Beatles ones. In Mother 2, you have the option of naming Ness "John," Paula "Yoko," Jeff "Paul," and Poo "George." Naturally, Ringo is one of the names you can give your dog.

Edit 3: The Sharks don't strike me as blackfaced so much as they do amateur gimp suit S&M types.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

It's time to make it through Peaceful Rest Valley! This part is particularly difficult for a number of reasons. The first offender is the Territorial Oak enemies. If you make the mistake of killing them while other enemies are still alive the resulting explosion will probably kill you. There are lots of enemies here that can give you the sniffles and Magnet you. All of this combined with the fact that we still only have one party member makes this a bit of a marathon.

Getting through Peaceful Rest Valley gets us to Happy Happy Village, which is creepy as hell. This is another instance where the music plays a very important role in setting the mood for a location. The overly friendly people and very uniform coloring of everything are off putting in and of themselves, but with the music as soon as you set foot in Happy Happy Village you know something isn't right here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Isn't one good reason to do Lilliput Steps with Paula in the party that she can use it as an opportunity to gain experience?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Ceraph posted:

It's time to make it through Peaceful Rest Valley! This part is particularly difficult for a number of reasons. The first offender is the Territorial Oak enemies. If you make the mistake of killing them while other enemies are still alive the resulting explosion will probably kill you. There are lots of enemies here that can give you the sniffles and Magnet you. All of this combined with the fact that we still only have one party member makes this a bit of a marathon.

Getting through Peaceful Rest Valley gets us to Happy Happy Village, which is creepy as hell. This is another instance where the music plays a very important role in setting the mood for a location. The overly friendly people and very uniform coloring of everything are off putting in and of themselves, but with the music as soon as you set foot in Happy Happy Village you know something isn't right here.

Fuzzy Pickles

e: also they probably got rid of HH because Heil Hitler

Weird BIAS fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 8, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Paul.Power posted:

Isn't one good reason to do Lilliput Steps with Paula in the party that she can use it as an opportunity to gain experience?

That's why she comes with a Teddy Bear - it's meant to take the hits while she gains a few levels and becomes able to survive on her own. And she definitely makes the boss (and the cave itself) MUCH easier.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Paul.Power posted:

Nidoking posted:

That's why she comes with a Teddy Bear - it's meant to take the hits while she gains a few levels and becomes able to survive on her own. And she definitely makes the boss (and the cave itself) MUCH easier.

There are a number of reasons why doing Lilliput Steps without Paula is a bad idea, this is more just out of curiosity to see if it's even possible.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.
I'm the mole that spent the entire battle sizing up the situation and confusing itself.

Also, fun tip for today: Brainshock actually inflicts "feeling strange" (i.e. confusion). But, due to the way Earthbound handles resistances, it will never work on you at this point in the game. Which: thank goodness. The trees are bad enough already.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 07 - Happy Happy

It’s time to finish up at Happy Happy Village and show Mr. Carpainter what for. In order to do so though we have to pick up the Franklin Badge, which some of you may recognize from Super Smash Bros. Supposedly it is named the “Franklin Badge” because it was used by Benjamin Franklin while he was experimenting with electricity. It's ridiculously useful and reflects all lightning based attacks.

We also pick up Paula / Jacky as our second party member! As Nidoking pointed out she comes with a teddy bear, which is extremely useful in getting her experience without having her die. She is also a PSI powerhouse and will be dealing a crapton of damage.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I usually go ahead and grind here if necessary to get Flash Alpha because it's really effective on moles. The higher levels of Flash can even kill boss moles outright, if you get lucky.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Flash Alpha only inflicts crying (which is far less effective on enemies than it is on your party members) and feeling strange (harder to measure effectiveness with enemies because it makes them hit any target, but it feels less effective). I've never used that level of Flash for that reason. In fact, there are quite a few PSI powers in this game that I never use on the average playthrough. Hypnosis is far more effective if you use it on an enemy in a group that's weak to it while you fight the rest of the party, but in one-enemy battles, it's kinda useless.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 08 - Lilliput

Alright, guys, it's time for Mondo Mole round 2! As Nidoking mentioned, you can get Flash alpha before fighting the Mondo Mole, which actually helped us a lot in this fight. We also managed to paralyze him, so between those two things he was just a mess during this fight. We also get to see PSI Thunder in action, which has a very low hit chance but does a lot of damage when it hits him.

We get another piece of the soundstone melody for beating Mondo Mole, and even though we've only heard 2 bits so far I really like it. It's so pleasant and vaguely nostalgic.

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 11, 2016

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 09 - Zombie Town

It's time to catch the Blues Brothers Runaway Five concert! In the Japanese version, The Runaway Five are actually in matching black suits even closer to the Blues Brothers, but the colors were changed due to copyright concerns for Western release. The music is still unmistakably lifted from the Blues Brothers, though. I love The Runaway Five and this is not the last we'll see of them.

In exchange for helping out The Runaway Five they give us a ride through the ghost infested tunnel straight into the heart of zombie town itself, Threed! The music in Threed is so creepy. That combined with the really dark purple color scheme lets you know immediately that you're in for some creepy stuff.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
True story. On my first play through of the game I forgot about Mondo Mole and another upcoming boss until later in the game. I came back severely overpowered and basically one-shot him.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Testikles posted:

True story. On my first play through of the game I forgot about Mondo Mole and another upcoming boss until later in the game. I came back severely overpowered and basically one-shot him.
That's not an uncommon experience with Mondo Mole. You're stuck in Threed until you solve its zombie problem, so if you go there before getting the Lilliput Steps melody, you'll have to come back later when you're too strong for the enemies in there.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

Y-Hat posted:

Reggie Fils-Aime more or less said last year that buying this and EB Beginnings is the best way of ensuring Mother 3 (which will almost certainly be renamed) makes a Western release,

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-04-mother-3-will-finally-get-western-release-report

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

I try not to put too much stock into rumors, but it seems like Mother 3 coming to the west is pretty likely at this point and it's hard not to get excited.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I already posted a link to a different source backing up the rumor. I know it's not gonna be official until we see Nintendo confirm it, but they won't do that until a day before it's actually released. That's what they did with Earthbound Beginnings in the form of a YouTube video.

A few things about the LP (I'm completely caught up as of this last edit):

1. The line where Paula says "if you didn't come, I'd have to bust out of here" was changed from the Japanese version. There, she says, "If you didn't come, I would have started to cry." :smith:
2. What I've done in more recent playthroughs of Earthbound is withdraw money to buy things, buy the things that I need to, then deposit all of my remaining money except for a few bucks. That way, a game over hardly wipes out any of your money.
3. You're better off fighting the Insane Cultists instead of running away from them. They're far weaker than the Peaceful Rest Valley enemies, their paint attacks do pitiful damage if you've got the Hard Hat equipped, and their reinforcements aren't nearly as devastating as the Black Antoids and Skate Punks earlier in the game. Plus, they give a good amount of experience. Fighting three of them will give you over 1000 exp.
4. Battle Against a Strange Enemy (the music that plays when you fight Coil Snake, Mr. Batty, and many other enemies) is supposedly based off of a Prince song.
5. If my old issues of Nintendo Power are correct (and they probably are since they were the official Nintendo magazine), Ness and pals are 13, not 11. Smash Bros. does make him sound 11, though.

And yes, "Pokey" is the same as "Porky." The reason why he's Pokey in Earthbound is because of a translation error.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 14, 2016

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Y-Hat posted:

I already posted a link to a different source backing up the rumor. I know it's not gonna be official until we see Nintendo confirm it, but they won't do that until a day before it's actually released. That's what they did with Earthbound Beginnings in the form of a YouTube video.

A few things about the LP (I'm completely caught up as of this last edit):

1. The line where Paula says "if you didn't come, I'd have to bust out of here" was changed from the Japanese version. There, she says, "If you didn't come, I would have started to cry." :smith:
2. What I've done in more recent playthroughs of Earthbound is withdraw money to buy things, buy the things that I need to, then deposit all of my remaining money except for a few bucks. That way, a game over hardly wipes out any of your money.
3. You're better off fighting the Insane Cultists instead of running away from them. They're far weaker than the Peaceful Rest Valley enemies, their paint attacks do pitiful damage if you've got the Hard Hat equipped, and their reinforcements aren't nearly as devastating as the Black Antoids and Skate Punks earlier in the game. Plus, they give a good amount of experience. Fighting three of them will give you over 1000 exp.
4. Battle Against a Strange Enemy (the music that plays when you fight Coil Snake, Mr. Batty, and many other enemies) is supposedly based off of a Prince song.
5. If my old issues of Nintendo Power are correct (and they probably are since they were the official Nintendo magazine), Ness and pals are 13, not 11. Smash Bros. does make him sound 11, though.

And yes, "Pokey" is the same as "Porky." The reason why he's Pokey in Earthbound is because of a translation error.

Thanks for continuing to be a great source of Earthbound knowledge! I love seeing all the little things that got changed during localization. Also the Earthbound wiki says that Ness' age is 13, so I'm sure you are correct in that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There was an incredible article I read about all the weird little touches that the translator (Marcus Lindblom) put into the English-language version of Earthbound. I don't think either of these are the one that I read, but there are a lot of cool facts in them. The translation is more or less a ton of executive decisions on his part, like the iron pencils and erasers. When you get the Picnic Lunch, there's another thing that he changed in the item description.

http://kotaku.com/the-man-who-wrote-earthbound-1188669175
http://www.wired.com/2013/07/marcus-lindblom-earthbound/

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

i love this game but I do feel after they made Ness each character feels a little less developed in terms of abilities and role.

• Locked thread