Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Thank you Blue Wher and Broenheim!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I am also writing about the school newspaper, which is called The Story.

That is the name of the school newspaper.

Ceighk
May 27, 2013

No Hospital Gang, boy
You know that shit a case close
Want him dead, bust his head
All I do is say, "Go"
Drop a opp, drop a thot
Eeny-meeny-miny-mo
gently caress it, in, and hit me with some drama

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I'll take both a stereotype and some drama.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Ironic Twist posted:

Week CLXXXII:

Judges
Ironic Twist
Sitting Here
curlingiron

oh hey that's cool i guess, good thing u guys are putting a lot work in as judges trying to help everyone out its just uhhhh

Ironic Twist posted:

THUNDERDOME WEEK CLXXX: Maybe I’m A Maze

Judges:
me
Sitting Here
curlingiron

huh

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/critcounts.php?week=180

HUH

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Judges:
Grizzled Patriarch
SurreptitiousMuffin
c7ty1

but it's alright, youre just following the time honored tradition of being lazy poo poo judges

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/critcounts.php?week=179

i guess the judges had new year resolutions to be loving garbage. great work so far guys.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In the interest of being part of the solution (cuz I know full well how time can get away from judges):

I am offering three critiques this week. Any T-dome story from 2016 (or hell, December 2015 too) is fair game. Claim them while the getting's good. Reciprocation is appreciated, but not required. A link to the story you want critted is also appreciated (and required).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also, I'm in. Hit me with some drama and a stereotype.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:siren: have some more TD audio :siren:

First up, we recapped week 175: Speels of Magic. This was a difficult week to judge, because the judges had wildly different opinions about the submissions. Can time and distance possibly begin to heal the wounds suffered while judging? Find out in this very special* recap. We had some slight technical difficulties at the end, but eeehhhhhhhhh who cares.

The Recap

The archive link if you want to follow along.

*Note: recap not very, or special

Actually, the really special recap I have for you is week 176: Florida Man and/or Woman. You all know what you did. And I'm still mad about it.

Florida week was interesting in that it didn't receive and dishonorable mentions but...that's mainly because the judges were reluctant to issue a billion DMs right before Christmas. The judges, unlike you heartless bastards who wrote for week 176, have consciences. So we took a different approach to Florida week for the recap: we decided to do some dramatic readings of the more memorable stories from that week, along with commentary.

The recap

The archive link

And finally, here is the audio from the livecrits from week 180!

The Livecrits

I realize audio-only is kind of a mess, but it's something to tide you over while the judges catch up with written crits. I'm thinking about making livecrits a more semi-regular thing (with whoever wants to participate, within reason) that's detached from judging, based on feedback I've received from talking with goons. I think that might make everyone happy?? We're still probably going to do them this week, because honestly it's a fun way to judge. Mainly, I don't want people to think anyone has any intent to replace any aspect of judging with the whole "live" shtick. It's just something we like doing! So I hope at least some of you get something helpful from it.

Thank you to Kaishai, Curlingiron, Djeser, and Ironic Twist, as well as all the people who listen to these. Like, it's kind of ridiculous, but really fun, and if nothing else we learn a lot while picking apart your stories. So seriously, thanks.

The other recaps:

Kaishai posted:

Thunderdome Recaps

pre:
Episode								Recappers

Week 156:  LET'S GET hosed UP ON LOVE				Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, and Djeser
Week 157:  BOW BEFORE THE BUZZSAW OF PROGRESS			Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 158:  LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, and Djeser
Week 159:  SINNERS ORGY						Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 160:  Spin the wheel!					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 161:  Negative Exponents					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 36:  Polishing Turds -- A retrospective special!		Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, Kaishai, and The Saddest Rhino
Week 162:  The best of the worst and the worst of the best	Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, Kaishai, and The Saddest Rhino
Week 163:  YOUR STUPID poo poo BELONGS IN A MUSEUM			Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, and Kaishai
Week 164:  I Shouldn't Have Eaten That Souvlaki			Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, and Kaishai
Week 165:  Back to School					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 166:  Comings and Goings					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 167:  Black Sunshine					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 168:  She Stole My Wallet and My Heart			Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 169:  Thunderdome o' Bedlam				Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 170:  Cities & Kaiju					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai
Week 171:  The Honorable THUNDERDOME CLXXI			Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, and Kaishai
Week 172:  Thunderdome Startup					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, and Kaishai
Week 173:  Pilgrim's Progress					Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, and Kaishai
Week 174:  Ladles and Jellyspoons				Sitting Here, Ironic Twist, Djeser, and Kaishai

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Ceighk posted:

gently caress it, in, and hit me with some drama

So like uh, the weird kid thinks you're really cute.

Thranguy posted:

I'll take both a stereotype and some drama.

Stereotype: Drama nerd

Drama: I regret to inform you that, unless you improve your GPA, you won't be allowed to participate in any extracurricular activities.

docbeard posted:

Also, I'm in. Hit me with some drama and a stereotype.

Stereotype: The snitch

Drama: Gross, someone peed in your bag of chips!!! (IRL drama courtesy of another goon, who can take credit if they want)

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Broenheim posted:

oh hey that's cool i guess, good thing u guys are putting a lot work in as judges trying to help everyone out its just uhhhh

huh

HUH

but it's alright, youre just following the time honored tradition of being lazy poo poo judges

i guess the judges had new year resolutions to be loving garbage. great work so far guys.

that reminds me, SaddestRhino still owes me his noir week crits from a year ago

where are the loving crits rhino

WHERE ARE THEY

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

*puts hand on bro's head 2 keep him at arm's length*

*watches bro punch the air with his babby kitten fists*

*waits for bro to tucker out*

:3:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Broenheim posted:

calls sh out for being a little poo poo

Sitting Here posted:

posts links to things she's already done and was too lazy to link earlier

Sitting Here posted:

tries to sass me like it wasnt because i had to call her out so she would JUST POST loving LINKS

lol

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

:glomp:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Posting crits is good and should be done.

"But Seafood," you might say, "You forget to post crits all the time."

I do, and that makes me a loser, but it doesn't make me wrong.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Post the crits.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
the only crits in this thread are a bunch of hypo-crits

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Your ratio of bluster:actual accomplishments is strong, kemo sabe

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

sounds like somebody has a hankering for a brawl

Boaz-Jachim
Sep 20, 2015

CANERE CORAM LEONE

Sitting Here posted:

Stereotype: member of the student government

Drama: Ummmmmmmmmm so I guess your best friend said some really lovely stuff behind your back.

since we're collaborating or whatever, the student government is run as a military dictatorship.

sure they're a bit draconian but they've got free pizza for lunch for all Party members

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

brawlstory

Axe to Grind
Words: 635

Luther swung his heavy axe at the doomed man’s neck.

And missed.

The crowd murmured, confused. A clean execution was one thing, and a messy kill was interesting - but a miss, that was something new. None of them could remember a miss of the axe in the current headsman’s long tenure.

Luther tugged on his executioner's hood, his axe still stuck in the stage.

“I’m sorry, sir,” he called, looking up to the balcony where the prince sat. “It’s my wrists. They just haven’t been the same, of late…” Luther trailed off, squeezing exaggeratedly at his wrists. It wasn’t a complete lie, but the executioner figured he probably had at least a few years left in him before retirement.

The crowd turned on the headsman at once. Wrists lightly bruised or shattered in a million pieces, they came for an execution. More than one of the peasants close to the stage pointed out just what a sham Luther was, all while others readied their tomatoes. From behind his mask, Luther winced at both the bloodthirst of most of his audience and just how quick on the uptake some of them were.

From his balcony, the prince called for silence.

“Very well. As reward for your many years of service, loyal headsman, I grant you your rest early, for this day--”

A day without blood spilled for a careless system. A tiny victory, at best, but one Luther could live with.

“--and for the rest of your days. You may live your life as a normal citizen once more.”

Luther’s head jerked up - realizing that his plan had worked a little too well. “Sire, I don’t--”

“Bring your son here by noon tomorrow so he may begin learning his duties as your replacement.”

---

Luther kissed his son goodnight, locked the door tight, and set out on his grisly task.

Getting in the palace dungeons was easy enough. He knew almost every guard, several of the hidden passages and was often seen at the dungeons. Unlike his father, Luther believed a man should get the chance to see his executioner face-to-face before their fatal meeting.

The first few were easy enough: a rapist, a father turned murderer of his own children and a minor noble found guilty of treason. All asleep.

Luther didn’t hesitate in slitting their throats. Dying sighs and blood splattering on his clothing gave him no pause, used to both as he was.

He came to the last prisoner slated for execution, and recognized him as the man from the previous day. The skinny, rag wearing man slept, curled in a ball, as far away from the door as possible. Full collection of taxes was never going to be possible, but the collectors occasionally dragged in a few peasants to be made example of.

The sickly peasant opened his eyes as Luther towered over him. Luther froze, flickering lantern light illuminating his blood streaked knife.

How many had Luther killed in his over thirty years of executions?

The tax-dodger died that night without Luther ever learning his name-the guard on duty hadn’t even bothered to write it down.

---

That brief, pitiful gaze stayed with him for the final five years of his life. Even after countless nights of his quiet murders, never caught, Luther went to his grave remembering the knife dragging across the man’s neck. In reality, the peasant was found dead the following morning without a scratch.

Eventually, his crimes and desperate attempts to save his son’s innocence caught up with him. Luther’s confession to a priest of his deeds, in an attempt to redeem himself, was the first of his two last requests.

The second was for a bag, so as not to see the look in his son’s eyes as he dropped the axe on his father.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
As agreed upon in IRC:

God Of Muffins Poetry Brawl

God Over Djinn, SurreptitiousMuffin:

Write me a poem that has to do with sound. You cannot use the word “sound”.

1000 words, due Sunday February 7th, 2359 PST.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

Broenheim posted:

huh

HUH

Or maybe the website is loving LYING THE BASTARD

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.

You're correct that I haven't tallied Week 181 yet, but since Broenheim wasn't pointing to Week 181, that's not terribly relevant!

Kaishai fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 28, 2016

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh, and for whatever nods to a shared universe that happen, my story will also prominently feature the school nurse.

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I am thinking about using the school counselor in some way, shape, or form. Anybody get any plans to use this role?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Broenheim posted:

huh

HUH

this post is legit as gently caress.

here's a :toxx: to do full crits (judgeburps and a few line by lines) for the last two weeks I judged, by, ooooh... 8 feb 2359 pst

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 7, 2016

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Pantothenate posted:

You can't fail hard unless you try hard.

Just to reiterate (since that was at the bottom of the page, and like right next to the critiques post from last week), I'm asking for a clique and drama, because thinking is hard and this is the closest I'll get to you writing this bastard for me.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Pantothenate posted:

Just to reiterate (since that was at the bottom of the page, and like right next to the critiques post from last week), I'm asking for a clique and drama, because thinking is hard and this is the closest I'll get to you writing this bastard for me.

Stereotype: WORST PERSON EVER aka one of the inexplicably popular kids.

Drama: An embarrassing selfie

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Gosh guys, you gotta get more mature, because the school has a major problem with dick graffiti :ohdear:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

that's art u racist gently caress

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Bleusman posted:

Gosh guys, you gotta get more mature, because the school has a major problem with dick graffiti :ohdear:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

You're going to the principal's office mr.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
mr. rex, you shouldnt be vandalizing the school but it was p. lol so youre cool by me, just tell ms. here that i gave you detention or something but you dont have to go

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

docbeard posted:

I am offering three critiques this week. Any T-dome story from 2016 (or hell, December 2015 too) is fair game. Claim them while the getting's good. Reciprocation is appreciated, but not required. A link to the story you want critted is also appreciated (and required).

So did anyone want any crits or what

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'll take one. You pick.

And take the crits you nonces it's why we're here.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

docbeard posted:

http://writocracy.com/thunderdome/brawls.php?story=367 ok please

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

docbeard posted:

Can you be a peach and crit my dwarven epic? Thanks.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Broenheim posted:

mr. rex, you shouldnt be vandalizing the school but it was p. lol so youre cool by me, just tell ms. here that i gave you detention or something but you dont have to go

ah, thank you, sir! you're a legend, sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:swoon:

• Locked thread