Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You can't quit Star Citizen. You'll immediately crash.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

all that salt's gonna melt the butthurt snowflakes

SALT LEVEL:

GALACTIC

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my bad, thought he said RtV

It's not as if they have 15 of these weekly Q&A streams with "______ the 'Verse" for the name.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

XK posted:

Didn't they just say a week or two ago they were going to be changing operations to focus on consistent regular updates to demonstrate progress? Then they missed the very next update, and now this. :lol:
I don't know about that, but shitizens certainly have been touting "almost daily updates" as a sign that everything is perfectly fine! Save those posts for use later, salty commandos!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Around the 'Verse is the pre-recorded show where they talk about nothing. It happens on Thursdays.

Reverse the 'Verse is the live show where they talk about nothing about complain about backers asking them questions about the game. It happens on Fridays.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hitler Bunker Scene.

This x1000

It must be true, they have to be scrambling. Why else would CR stand over the programmers with a whip now?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A Neurotic Jew posted:

my bad, thought he said RtV

Yeah, you somewhat scared me. While the past few days have been a great laughfest the CIG machine needs to keep cranking out the laugh content. Thank god for the subscribers that fund these IMDB productions.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

He's too busy writing code to come talk to us.

Chris Roberts describing a sequence diagram he spent 8 hours on

http://i.imgur.com/6bX4fdG.gifv

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Around the 'Verse is the pre-recorded show where they talk about nothing. It happens on Thursdays.

Reverse the 'Verse is the live show where they talk about nothing about complain about backers asking them questions about the game. It happens on Fridays.

Reverse the Verse is actually way more interesting, or at least has been lately, because inevitably cracks in the facade slip through and they can't be edited out.

Around the Verse has been particularly boring because they have no more content to show so you get 20 minute features on changing the color scheme of a ship model that won't even be hanger ready in 6 months or whatever.

I also think they intentionally let little bombs slip on RtV that they don't mention on AtV because more people watch AtV. Like the unmelt tokens at the end of the RtV yesterday. They tuck negative information away in the thick fog of media they put out.

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

This?

I tried deleting elements with the browser's developer mode; it appears the grid is dynamically overlayed.

One more promise delivered on!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Reverse the Verse is actually way more interesting, or at least has been lately, because inevitably cracks in the facade slip through and they can't be edited out.

Around the Verse has been particularly boring because they have no more content to show so you get 20 minute features on changing the color scheme of a ship model that won't even be hanger ready in 6 months or whatever.

You've got to hand it to them. They attracted the perfect customer-base. They can just endlessly delight them with details of procedurally generated drink machines and they will lap it up.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

D_Smart posted:

Of course it helps that the level of humor is so pervasive that the common man will have a hard time deciding whether or not that spaghetti sauce recipe is somehow telling you it's laced with arsenic - because who looks at an SA recipe and decides to go cook it? With a straight face? Without somehow wondering if it's poison. I mean, nothing as innocent as that, slides by without someone thinking twice about it. And when you have to sift through pages and pages of recipes, you become self-aware, hardly noticing that, just few pages back, someone was doing an effort post about the suicidal tendencies of people spending thousands on JPEG ships.

Looks like you've never posted in Something Offal. Goon recipes are amongst the finest in all the land.

AP posted:

They couldn't refund 1 person in 10 even if they wanted to, most of the money has already been spent. I'd be surprised if they had more than 10-15 million left.

Even so, I didn't expect to see the wheels fall off the comedy bus so soon in 2016.

I just discovered this comedy train and already its slowly chugging to a stop :negative:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

mrking posted:

Looks like you've never posted in Something Offal. Goon recipes are amongst the finest in all the land.

I just discovered this comedy train and already its slowly chugging to a stop :negative:

Fret not commando. This train is nuclear, and it is just warming up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

One more promise delivered on!

Yep, every day they are checking off items from the kickstarter days. This game/abortion/tech demo is glorious.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Thronde posted:

Fret not commando. This train is nuclear, and it is just warming up.

Chris Roberts' latest movie Blowparper.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AP posted:

What could Very Very Bad be?

Cutting ships

If "cutting ships" were to be announced, that would be the death knell for SC. It would mean nothing is safe from the chopping block and, depending on the ship, it would likely cause an exodus of whales. If Chris announced that the Idris was too complicated to use in the PU and couldn't fit within the instance, they'd lose almost all the support from their major whales who wanted multi-crew.

quote:

Introducing a subscription for the PU

This would buy them time, but it's also going against their promise that it would be F2P. Then again, they already have a subscription in place for some of the whales.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hope this is what backers are basically going to get

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

mrking posted:

who said anything about stopping? you shut your filthy mouth

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I also think they intentionally let little bombs slip on RtV that they don't mention on AtV because more people watch AtV. Like the unmelt tokens at the end of the RtV yesterday. They tuck negative information away in the thick fog of media they put out.

You're right, Reverse the 'Verse is definitely more interesting from the perspective of watching the insanity. Hell just think about yesterday and how bored Ben looked while Sean Tracy talked about awesome technical stuff. That episode actually made me appreciate Jared a little better. He's a blatant puppet who has no problem lying to people's faces if that's what Sandi tells him to do, but at least he does a decent job interviewing people and handling questions. It makes Ben even more unnecessary.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Polish Avenger posted:

You've got to hand it to them. They attracted the perfect customer-base. They can just endlessly delight them with details of procedurally generated drink machines and they will lap it up.

I would love to know the true story of the drink machine/entertainment rack write up for the Starliner.

Had to have been a troll by some employee that didn't give a gently caress and at their wits end. Handed it in, expected to be shitcanned but then was probably rewarded for his efforts.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Every Star Citizen video has like five of these guys.

TheNorthHawk 1 month ago
+Listening Point I'll put this in perspective for you. Grand Theft Auto V was a game that had a remarkably fast development, because it ran on a AAA budget of 137 million dollars (This figure did NOT include marketing costs, it was all put into the game itself, just like Star Citizen's money) and ran on a proprietary engine. Its development began in 2008. Its first iteration was released in 2013, on the Xbox 360, and PS3. It wasn't terribly impressive on those old consoles, but what was that count? Five years.

Star Citizen has been in development for three years - Well, more like two, because development began in December 2012. It takes a lot of time to create a good game, and the amount they've got on the table right now for their backers to play? It's phenomenal by industry standards. Don't take my word for it - Ask anyone in the business. Every day, we can see the evidence of the hard work CiG is doing on the game.

Allegations of their misappropriation of money have no supporting evidence whatsoever. The journalist who wrote the Escapist article that started those rumours was a personal friend of one Derek Smart, a mentally unstable hack who's been doing his best to damage Star Citizen in an attempt to revitalize his own awful game, Line of Defense - a game that's been in development for five years, has never had more than 111 players online at a time, and charges its backers exorbitant amounts of money for content that doesn't work, and probably never will.

Star Citizen, on the other hand, is managing their funding brilliantly. Mark my words: This game will get made, no matter what anyone tries to do to stop it. They've got all the right people working on it, from Sandi Gardiner, their head of Marketing, to Ben Lesnick, their various heads of departments, and of course, Chris Roberts himself.

Will the game be any good? That's the bit that remains to be seen. I'm hopeful, but I really don't know. You don't know, either.

Still, I'd suggest you do your homework. Running your mouth without it just makes you look the fool.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Yeah, they will be skippable. Here is a demonstartaion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPdX8M8LO8Q

(I've wasted like 20 mins of my life on this)

Ole Carl laughs in his casket

ether
May 20, 2001

Gonna go with this prediction for the silly new target.. For SQ42 there needs to be more/new mocap because the current data lacks fidelity, but of a kind the current setup cant provide, time for a new mocap studio.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I bet at least one thing in sq42 has been reworked as a homage to something in ep7

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: All The Right People

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Young Freud posted:

If "cutting ships" were to be announced, that would be the death knell for SC. It would mean nothing is safe from the chopping block and, depending on the ship, it would likely cause an exodus of whales. If Chris announced that the Idris was too complicated to use in the PU and couldn't fit within the instance, they'd lose almost all the support from their major whales who wanted multi-crew.

Yes, cutting ships really would signal the end. They can drag things on as much as they'd like, but the second people get refunds for things like the Idris or Javelin then it's all over. Starships are the lifeblood of Star Citizen, they're what keeps people motivated and excited even as the rest of the game falls apart. Frankly I think they made a huge mistake in not continuing to show commercials, especially as the quality of the commercials steadily decreased (the Mustang and Cutlass commercials are poo poo compared to the Hornet and Freelancer). The commercials would have been a great way to show the progress of the game, revealing new features and maintaining high levels of enthusiasm. Instead we get lovely livestreams that they can't even put into high quality (seriously they should be embarrassed that the Morrow tour isn't in high res). Either way nuking their core content is the worst thing they could do... but I think they'll have to. There's just way too much engineering debt.

Seriously, just look at how much loving work they have to do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ether posted:

Gonna go with this prediction for the silly new target.. For SQ42 there needs to be more/new mocap because the current data lacks fidelity, but of a kind the current setup cant provide, time for a new mocap studio.

The mocap did look like poo poo during the few seconds they showed in one video where they were on the bridge and some Vanduul kingship was out there.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would love to know the true story of the drink machine/entertainment rack write up for the Starliner.

Had to have been a troll by some employee that didn't give a gently caress and at their wits end. Handed it in, expected to be shitcanned but then was probably rewarded for his efforts.

Not just 'some employee', pretty sure all the mini-game ideas and role pipeline planning came from top employee Tony Zurovec who is another Roberts crony and probably as useful as Erin Roberts.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Every Star Citizen video has like five of these guys.

TheNorthHawk 1 month ago
+Listening Point I'll put this in perspective for you. Grand Theft Auto V was a game that had a remarkably fast development, because it ran on a AAA budget of 137 million dollars (This figure did NOT include marketing costs, it was all put into the game itself, just like Star Citizen's money) and ran on a proprietary engine. Its development began in 2008. Its first iteration was released in 2013, on the Xbox 360, and PS3. It wasn't terribly impressive on those old consoles, but what was that count? Five years.
Haha that guy is delusional. GTA V looked so good on the 360 and PS3 that waiting for the PC version sucked.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile in Elite...

It never ceases to amaze me that you can fly to every one of those stars.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yes, cutting ships really would signal the end. They can drag things on as much as they'd like, but the second people get refunds for things like the Idris or Javelin then it's all over. Starships are the lifeblood of Star Citizen, they're what keeps people motivated and excited even as the rest of the game falls apart. Frankly I think they made a huge mistake in not continuing to show commercials, especially as the quality of the commercials steadily decreased (the Mustang and Cutlass commercials are poo poo compared to the Hornet and Freelancer). The commercials would have been a great way to show the progress of the game, revealing new features and maintaining high levels of enthusiasm. Instead we get lovely livestreams that they can't even put into high quality (seriously they should be embarrassed that the Morrow tour isn't in high res). Either way nuking their core content is the worst thing they could do... but I think they'll have to. There's just way too much engineering debt.

Seriously, just look at how much loving work they have to do.

I always thought the commercials were a good tool for new artists to work on their talents and have fun, get them integrated into the "pipeline", and develop skills of working with a wide array of different departments to get something out the door. In other words, a valuable training tool.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What's the story behind commando?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Meanwhile in Elite...

It never ceases to amaze me that you can fly to every one of those stars.
I keep meaning to pick up New Horizons and get back into the game, but the latest Diablo 3 patch and season has sucked me back in so hard that I can barely do daily stuff in WoW.

And now I'm trying really hard not to buy The Witness and get sucked into that too...

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Booblord Zagats posted:

gently caress it, I'm gonna mess around in Elite some more when I get home today. I'm gonna make myself like it and thank whatever kind god let me sell my pledge on the grey market at a profit

Join the Diamond frogs and explore the shallow width with like-minded idiots. if nothing else it gives you an aim.

100% of MMOs suck if you're alone or just trying to find pubbies that aren't either insane, criminal or criminally insane. Check out the PGS thread.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
"Endgame" wise:

I just want that one guy who went without groceries to spend more on star citizen to look back and go "drat... I... need to re-examine some poo poo." Or any of the whales. Though, I'm sure they're so deep in sunken cost fallacy that they will blame everyone. Excepting themselves.

I'd be pretty cool with Chris, Sandi, and Ben spending some time in Club Fed; The US government has spent too much time locking people up for pot but not for white collar fraud/misappropriation. It'll never happen, though one imagines their careers are burned. Hopefully they didn't sink any innocent careers on the way out.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 28, 2016

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

spacetoaster posted:

So people are bailing on CIG so much that they have a derogatory "Leavers" name for them? LOL

Those darn leavers!

He might as well have said "TRAITOR!" like in that one star war movie.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

What's the story behind commando?

Peter Gabriel thought it sounded funny to say that, as opposed to 'commander' which is the go-to sci-fi nickname for player characters.

Repeat ad nauseum, or until RSI mods deem it as a 'hateful word'.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:laffo:

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

If the rumors are to believed and there is basically no content at all besides a Crysis tech-demo for Squadron 42, then what is the deal with all the cutscenes being filmed? Like why was that a priority over an actual game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

what is the deal with all the cutscenes being filmed? Like why was that a priority over an actual game?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/

e: take that in context with Sandi really wanting to be an actress, not in charge of a game studio, as well. And if you're C-Ro, you're trying to hold onto that terrible person of a life partner. Without money, he'd have to pay to be intimate with anyone under 350 lbs.

e2: well I'd speculate that he may be indirectly paying for what he gets now. This, a promise at a back door into a career as an actress, may well be what she sees in him. It's either that, or she thinks he's a genius as a con artist and digs that.

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread