Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
It's me, I'm the guy that took a week off work to go to the coast play this dumb game, nice to meet ya :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ziji posted:

Going to love downloading XCOM 2 on 200kb/s max internet in the desert

Hug me, my third world desert brother!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
this is going to be a glorious standard for PC games for years to come :xcom:

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just finished Enemy Within savescumming, I want XCOM2 to be a new beginning where I can play like a real human being.

I would turn on Ironman because I want to have losing be part of my learning curve and also legitimately see the game over screen, but I am worried about stability issues with a new game.

Plenty of people have beaten launch EU and EW on Iron Man no problems. If the game bugs out save and reload, if that doesn't fix it then just remember :xcom: and sometimes war isn't fair!

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I might not even have enough disk space for this game, hmm...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

New thread for this game a full week before it's out?

Hm....

Just how many of you are reviewers with review codes? (I know ImpAtom probably has one...)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Misandu posted:

Plenty of people have beaten launch EU and EW on Iron Man no problems. If the game bugs out save and reload, if that doesn't fix it then just remember :xcom: and sometimes war isn't fair!
People who've played the series starting from EU don't know how good they've got it

They've never had to experience turn 1 blaster bombs inside of the Skyranger and save corruption shortly after

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

gently caress yesssss get HYPE

can't wait to bomb some AY-LEE-INS

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Soho Joe posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that took a week off work to go to the coast play this dumb game, nice to meet ya :tipshat:

Record your playthrough I so can watch you play :(

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Liquid Penguins posted:

Take me down to the xcom city where the grass is green and the snakes have tittay

This made me laugh far too hard.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

People who've played the series starting from EU don't know how good they've got it

They've never had to experience turn 1 blaster bombs inside of the Skyranger and save corruption shortly after

Well that goes without saying! The first time I played original X-COM was the PS1 port without an instruction manual, so I didn't even know what half the buttons on the bottom of the screen did. Still had a great time with it.

I would love to see an XCOM 94 style mod, where your soldiers are all just generic grunts and get most of their stats/abilities from gear that you unlock. Might be cool to combine that with the Advanced Warfare School to still give them a chance to develop special abilities as they level up, or even more advanced mods where a soldier's experience and rank are totally separate. Maybe instead of sending Rookies to the Guerrilla Warfare School you send experienced troops to turn their acquired levels into chances to develop class abilities.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just finished Enemy Within savescumming, I want XCOM2 to be a new beginning where I can play like a real human being.

I would turn on Ironman because I want to have losing be part of my learning curve and also legitimately see the game over screen, but I am worried about stability issues with a new game.

Then Bronzeman it. Geoscape: Save at the start of each month, use that if you outright loose or your game gets corrupt. In-mission: Save at the start of each mission, you cant restart unless your entire squad dies. Don't run your dudes to get killed "because Jenny "C'mon & Slam" Ronaldson died", play it as it falls down.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Ground floor baby. Too bad I have a rugby match on the 6th, thats gonna really mess up my intended hermitage to xcom mountain. Pretty pumped for this, looks like it will be a real winner.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Excelsiortothemax posted:

This made me laugh far too hard.

I have to admit, it is a good thing to suss out all snaketits pervs ITT.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

It should have been dogs.

Not gonna lie, having a dog maul the gently caress out of a sectoid would be hilarious.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Firaxis devs are streaming XCOM 2.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
That's a gently caress tonne of chrysalids.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ZearothK posted:

I am sad that the game will be released the same week my classes start.

I intend to take next Friday off to play this

That is the first time in a very long time I have taken off work for the sake of a video game

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
XCOM2 is all I need out of life and I may never be seen again once it comes out

Furthermore, gently caress Thin Men

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I saw this yesterday and thought of this thread:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The new 'lids are super scary. :stare:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh neat you can target some objects in the environment and they can put status effects on enemies. Blowing up that propane tank shredded that chrysalis's armor.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

fspades posted:

The new 'lids are super scary. :stare:

To those not watching, the devs just had a soldier run up to a corner, revealed a chryssalid, and it ran over to the soldier and stabbed him on its reveal move.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Bremen posted:

To those not watching, the devs just had a soldier run up to a corner, revealed a chryssalid, and it ran over to the soldier and stabbed him on its reveal move.

He said they can dash and attack on the same turn now.

ClassH fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 28, 2016

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

ClassH posted:

Hahah yes...no more kiting chryssalids and: "Oh good, they used up their first move getting to within a few steps away from that soldier. Now they'll just move once more and not do poo poo." Rules of Nature apply to them now, same as blade-wielding folks and gawd will that be something to factor in now.

I imagine this will also finally make them actually useful in multiplayer, unlike in EU.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Speedball posted:

New thread for this game a full week before it's out?

But Not Tonight posted:

gently caress yesssss get HYPE

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Bremen posted:

Oh god nooooooooooooooooooo

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CrazyLoon posted:

Hahah yes...no more kiting chryssalids and: "Oh good, they used up their first move getting to within a few steps away from that soldier. Now they'll just move once more and not do poo poo." Rules of Nature apply to them now, same as blade-wielding folks and gawd will that be something to factor in now.

I imagine this will also finally make them actually useful in multiplayer, unlike in EU.

So, multiplayer's going to be bugged again?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think this was on impossible, but still gently caress a doodle do.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I only caught the last 5 minutes but apparently they'll release some information about preloading soon.

I hope they unlock the character creator early.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

ClassH posted:

hahaha gently caress this gently caress THIS why jake whyyy

all of my people are gonna get lidded, jesus christ

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

RandallODim posted:

RULES OF ZERG RUSH

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

RandallODim posted:

To be fair, 'dash then attack' is something all melee attackers can do. Your ranger can do it. ADVENT Stun Lancers can do it.

... Presumably Muton Berserkers can, too. Oh god.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The overwatch came didn't seem to work as it did before. Did they turn it off? When someone ran into overwatches, things just hung for a while until someone off screen started shooting.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

RandallODim posted:

It's like they had a big list of optimal strategies for each enemy in the last game and their own goal when designing the new aliens was to gently caress those strategies up

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what happened

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ClassH posted:

That seems wildly overpowered unless they do less damage now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Grapplejack posted:

That seems wildly overpowered unless they do less damage now.

apparently they both do this and have less health

they compensate by breeding faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Did this happen to anyone else?