Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lime Tonics posted:

http://screenrant.com/star-citizen-marine-update-2016/

lol, also doing a quick google search on star citizen is a bunch of other "game" sites saying buy the game now!!!11!!11111, just sort by date newest.

Looks like someone is calling in favors to stop the bleeding.

I love how even the puffball pieces toss in a "can ANYTHING meet this level of hype" jab at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

now what the gently caress is this about

also £15m is more like $20m

I guess that's the overall price tag invested in their UK Shop that qualified for the tax giveaways that the UK Gov offers to the game industry if they decide to domicile there, and it also explains why Foundry 42 can't afford the same fancy tables as over at Sandi's Hollywood career workshop.

Edit: Someone relate these figures to all other locations and summarize the figures.

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 28, 2016

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

CrazyLoon posted:

I saw it back when they announced: "Nonono, it's actually a trilogy and you just paid for the first part!", but now they're pushing it to the point of absurdity lol. Bestest marketing woman evah!

You know, I heard she's been that ever since she was a young girl.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
does f42 really have 160 employees? and all of them working on loving sq42?

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Actually the MWO folks are involved in the HBS game. They're providing the mech assets. That's right, most of the asset generation for MW is already done.

This is correct. We have a cross licensing deal with HBS to allow them to use our mech art assets.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

Just going to leave this here so you can ponder the fuckeries within

Cloud Imperium Games invests £15 million in its UK studio

They just took $16.5M out of the US corp and put in Chris's brother's studio, Foundry 42, which is developing SQ42

Now this is probably all on paper, as it's probably unlikely that they have kind of cash to take out of the US and transfer to the UK.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

FrankieGoes posted:

You know, I heard she's been that ever since she was a young girl.

Without a shadow of a doubt

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Number19 posted:

This is correct. We have a cross licensing deal with HBS to allow them to use our mech art assets.

Love me some Marauder action :)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

blueberrysmith posted:

"arranging meetings with important public officials at HMRC and the British Film Institute (BFI) regarding whether a multi-million pound performance capture shoot would qualify for UK video games tax relief"

Master stroke. :gary:
"Cloud Imperium has invested around £15 million in its UK business so far. Having started out with one floor of an office building, in 2015 the company took on a second floor and is already planning to expand to a third."

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

- If you're going to use AAA actors in performance capture, why force their bodies to all be the same size? Gillian Anderson is 5'3". Mark Hamill is 5'9". Mark Strong is 6'2".

What else are you going to do if you are going for seamless integration? I would guess you either build mock sets for everything and capture every motion the character is ever going to make or you have this problem.

Imagine 10 hours of cutscenes where every movement of every limb of every character has to be continually tweaked and refined to make it look right. Only the original data is worse than you would expect because CR insisted you can just copy paste mocap data between completely different actors. So you only have proper data for the big scenes he wanted to play director in.

The I want to make a game that's actually a movie might be the most ambitious idea of them all.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Now this is probably all on paper, as it's probably unlikely that they have kind of cash to take out of the US and transfer to the UK.

They can fit $20m of their product in one single-stamp envelope

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

sorla78 posted:

Love me some Marauder action :)

I like the new Marauder model. Alex did a great job capturing the spirit of the original mech while bringing it up to date. He's done a great job with every mech we have so far really.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Number19 posted:

You guys are getting more and more awesome by the minute.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Didn't anybody at any point stop and say 'but Chris Roberts is a loving idiot'?
Could have saved a lot of hassle imo

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

List of all Star Citizen related entities

1) Cloud Imperium Games Corp, West Hollywood, CA
2) Cloud Imperium Games LLC, West Hollywood, CA
3) Cloud Imperium Services, LLC West Hollywood, CA
4) Cloud Imperium Games LLC, Santa Monica, CA
5) Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, West Hollywood, CA
6) Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, Austin, TX
7) Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, UK
8) Foundry 42 Limited, UK
9) Foundry 42, Germany
10) Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, West Hollywood, CA
11) Gemini 42 Productions LLC, Santa Monica, CA
12) Roberts Space Industries Corp, West Hollywood, CA
13) Roberts Space Industries International Limited, UK
14) Twin Brothers Production Inc, West Hollywood, CA
15) Twin Bros, Germany

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AtV still not up :saddowns:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This guy brings up some good points about preserving maximum immersion at all times, he really puts into words most people feelings regarding fun, having fun and the parameters in which we can safely have fun without breaking said immersion

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314842/reduce-the-4-wall-breaking-references

In no way do I want to kill this man in his sleep

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

AtV still not up :saddowns:

Good

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

peter gabriel posted:

This guy brings up some good points about preserving maximum immersion at all times, he really puts into words most people feelings regarding fun, having fun and the parameters in which we can safely have fun without breaking said immersion

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/314842/reduce-the-4-wall-breaking-references

In no way do I want to kill this man in his sleep

I voted yes, sounded serious enough.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

You'll have to do this weeks episode commando pgabz

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AtV delayed indefinitely?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

stinch posted:

What else are you going to do if you are going for seamless integration? I would guess you either build mock sets for everything and capture every motion the character is ever going to make or you have this problem.

Imagine 10 hours of cutscenes where every movement of every limb of every character has to be continually tweaked and refined to make it look right. Only the original data is worse than you would expect because CR insisted you can just copy paste mocap data between completely different actors. So you only have proper data for the big scenes he wanted to play director in.

The I want to make a game that's actually a movie might be the most ambitious idea of them all.

You hire a bunch of performance capture artists who are all the same size, have them do whatever motions are necessary, and then slap on the heads of the actors. Or better yet you skip the head poo poo entirely and just use their voices, since nobody gives a poo poo that Gary Oldman is playing Gary Oldman. In that Space Marine interview Mark Strong had it perfectly; when you're forced to exclusively use your voice to convey something because you can't use your face or anything else it means the voice work has to be incredibly powerful to be effective. Captain Titus was an immensely awesome character and a huge portion of that was conveyed through his voice.

What was the first thing everybody made fun of in the Bishop speech? How lovely the voice work was. I suspect the rest of SQ42 will be no better.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Fractured Space was mentioned a few thousand pages back. I don't know if its any good, but its free to download and keep forever until monday

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Does the 15 hours of gameplay include cutscenes?

I loving bet it does.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

You'll have to do this weeks episode commando pgabz

On it

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I want to share an amazing thing with you: http://www.twitch.tv/skillz1333_st

Stumbled on this guy by accident a ways back...

This streamer is a completely unapologetic PIRATE in SC. He griefs like mad, paid the minimum and steals the most expensive ships... gives tips on how to gank ships with glitches and then laughs about it and his wanton destruction of everything while salty tearbears yell at him... this is my new favorite streamer of all time. All citizens can do is stand beside him and shoot meaninglessly as he rams their precious ship into things.

It's like a ride along with Pablo Escobar... it is just pure FUN.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

How The Best Saleswoman in the World™ deals with claims of engaging in deceptive sales practices...

quote:

"I could go to Las Vegas and drop $3000 a night on table service... Horses are horses... I could go to the racetrack, or disneyland and drop $300. And you can't go back to Disneyland and claim "I rode that train ride and it sucked!" (and get a refund)."
How The Best Saleswoman in the World deals with customers who spent more than they could afford on spaceships...

This was nearly two years ago. Who knows how much better The Best Saleswoman in the World is at dealing with challenges now!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Just going to leave this here so you can ponder the fuckeries within

Cloud Imperium Games invests £15 million in its UK studio

They just took $16.5M out of the US corp and put in Chris's brother's studio, Foundry 42, which is developing SQ42

Some of this is via the tax credits which I reported last year as part of my Interstellar Pirates blog (the one covering the Gizmondo connection). Search for: credits

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Chalks posted:

Does the 15 hours of gameplay include cutscenes?

I loving bet it does.

This guy thinks cutscenes do qualify as gameplay, Chris R was a fan.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Colostomy Bag posted:

We already have this week's AtV. It's just a way to communicate with our community and you HAVE COMMUNICATION right now!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42rsq8/about_star_marine_serious/czfaz19

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think it was recorded yesterday

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ZenMaster posted:

I want to share an amazing thing with you: http://www.twitch.tv/skillz1333_st

Stumbled on this guy by accident a ways back...

This streamer is a completely unapologetic PIRATE in SC. He griefs like mad, paid the minimum and steals the most expensive ships... gives tips on how to gank ships with glitches and then laughs about it and his wanton destruction of everything while salty tearbears yell at him... this is my new favorite streamer of all time. All citizens can do is stand beside him and shoot meaninglessly as he rams their precious ship into things.

It's like a ride along with Pablo Escobar... it is just pure FUN.

favourited

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Pgabz adventures in the 'Universe are some of the best content the thread has produced imo

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Lime Tonics posted:

Even though Squadron 42 is released as a final product, players will also here have to be patient: “The one player campaign in Squadron 42 is played out in five chapters, with around 15 hours of content in each chapter. Each chapter will be like a game in it self, and when all the chapters are released Squadron 42 will contain over 70 hours of content.” - ERIN ROBERTS

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/5323399/#Comment_5323399

Backers get the first 2 chapters for free, after that who knows how much they gonna charge.

The scam continues.

I remember the free combos from some OTHER Kickstarter initiative and now that will never happen either.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Guy : do you think they're entitled cause they've spent money and they think they have a say?

sandi : mm yeah well to me it's a matter of perspective

You cannot make this poo poo up, also ALSO WTF IS UP WITH THAT PICTURE?!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You hire a bunch of performance capture artists who are all the same size, have them do whatever motions are necessary, and then slap on the heads of the actors. Or better yet you skip the head poo poo entirely and just use their voices, since nobody gives a poo poo that Gary Oldman is playing Gary Oldman. In that Space Marine interview Mark Strong had it perfectly; when you're forced to exclusively use your voice to convey something because you can't use your face or anything else it means the voice work has to be incredibly powerful to be effective. Captain Titus was an immensely awesome character and a huge portion of that was conveyed through his voice.

What was the first thing everybody made fun of in the Bishop speech? How lovely the voice work was. I suspect the rest of SQ42 will be no better.

It'll be a ten hour Morrow tour

only with less gameplay

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Solomonic posted:

Pgabz adventures in the 'Universe are some of the best content the thread has produced imo

I dunno man 'see you in the hearse' is well up there :lol:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

"Cloud Imperium has invested around £15 million in its UK business so far. Having started out with one floor of an office building, in 2015 the company took on a second floor and is already planning to expand to a third."

So they're throwing a bunch of cash at the game nobody's wants. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Now it's 15 hours of loving content?

Let's go over the history of Squadron 42:

In the beginning, Squadron 42 was to be a standalone game. Then a stretch goal came along with a mission pack called "Behind Enemy Lines". At some point SQ42 was described as this epic thing with 50 hours of gameplay. Then last year it was split into three episodes, with the first episode having around 20 hours of gameplay and people with the mission pack getting the second episode. Then in October it became an open world concept that CIG still hasn't explained. Now it's five episodes of 15 hours each.

That has ALL been nerfed. More soon.

• Locked thread