Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

neogeo0823 posted:

That's probably what it is. We have LOTS of random disconnects with our server and we have no clue why. It's hosted on Akliz, and the server usually just reports that the client lost connection. It happens with everyone regardless of physical location, and sometimes seems to happen worse than others. I'm debating getting rid of the Morpheus mod anyway, since we have never ever gotten enough people to sleep in a bed to make it morning, and most people have just learned to deal with it.

You're just not on when it happens. We make mornings by sleeping together lots of times. Even with 7 people on. You see someone asking in chat if we can make it day, and people go to bed. Ez as pie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Johnny Joestar posted:

was twilight forest even finished. last i remember it's like 99% done as far as the 'questline' goes and is missing a final thing. despite that it's amazing in any case.

I don't Twilight Forest is ever "done" -- the guy who makes it just adds stuff to the quest line every so often.

Last time I played it, there were quite a few different things to do. It's worth a look at every couple of months or so, if you're into that sort of thing.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

was twilight forest even finished. last i remember it's like 99% done as far as the 'questline' goes and is missing a final thing. despite that it's amazing in any case.

As far as I know there's no "done" point. The author just adds stuff occasionally. Sometimes features get put into releases when they're in a half-baked state, which may give the impression that there's some last steps to do before it's "finished".

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i had the impression that the giant castle in the thorns was supposed to be the final goal. last i played i got to that point and it was empty.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Johnny Joestar posted:

i had the impression that the giant castle in the thorns was supposed to be the final goal. last i played i got to that point and it was empty.

there is stuff after the thorns now

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Datasmurf posted:

You're just not on when it happens. We make mornings by sleeping together lots of times. Even with 7 people on. You see someone asking in chat if we can make it day, and people go to bed. Ez as pie.

Yeah, I think I changed it so that Morpheus will make it day when there's 1% of the server sleeping, so it'll basically always do it now. Lemme know in the thread if it does that now.

I would still really love to know what's causing the disconnects for everyone though.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Datasmurf posted:

You're just not on when it happens. We make mornings by sleeping together lots of times. Even with 7 people on.

I just had to point out how crazy this reads if the reader has zero context.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Magres posted:

I now understand why people hate Railcraft. I don't mind all the machines and stuff, I kinda like intricate industrial processes.

No, it's the fact that when I had to restart my world from a backup (power flickered), my world data didn't save the fact that my steam boiler was already full of water. Which means when my pump added a bit of water to it, the thing violently exploded, destroying a (thankfully unimportant) part of my base. It's such an eye-rolling design decision that isn't defensible by "MUH REALISM" because those aren't conditions that'd cause a steam explosion.

None of the damage is anything I couldn't readily repair with a little creative mode action, but holy crap it's just such bad design

lmao that's amazing.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's nothing strange about 7 people sleeping together in a ritual to bring about the morning

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Magmarashi posted:

There's nothing strange about 7 people sleeping together in a ritual to bring about the morning

"Dear Townsend Public Grade School library staff

It has come to my attention that you have begun carrying an "updated" version of Wake Up, Sun!. I feel like this version may not be appropriate for children."

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Did I stumble into Night Vale or something?

Oh uh, you know what's embarrassing? First time I played Blightfall I missed the door on top of the obsidian tower. Really happy I don't need to make my own altar now. There any other similar things I might have missed? Did find the glacier one and plan to do all the infusion stuff there in the middle of nowhere.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Somebody started a Let's Play of BFSR on YouTube, so my wife finally saw what I was doing all this time. She didn't realize I had this whole quest book thing crammed full of puns.

The first monster the guy sees is a baby skeleton. My wife was like, "Are all the monsters babies too?!" :3:

...no, they are not, and I think that might be an oversight.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Somebody started a Let's Play of BFSR on YouTube, so my wife finally saw what I was doing all this time. She didn't realize I had this whole quest book thing crammed full of puns.

The first monster the guy sees is a baby skeleton. My wife was like, "Are all the monsters babies too?!" :3:

...no, they are not, and I think that might be an oversight.

Dont you dare, The baby zombie can go through 1x1 holes,

on that note I am playing TPPI2 on a server that uses towny to prevent block breaking but allows chest opening to allow raiding
so my base mate and I tried to work out how to stop people coming into our base uninvited.
First we had a 1x1 tunnel that also had a malises doors sliding trapdoor and we both killed a chicken to get its morph
Then we had the baby zombie attack (blood moon is turned on)

So now we have slab floor with a 1/2 slab ventilation system with multiple entries in and out of the base.

And we made a linking book from mystcraft and killed it - so now we can morph into the book which has a 1/2 block height so we can go in and out as books

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

TheresaJayne posted:

And we made a linking book from mystcraft and killed it - so now we can morph into the book which has a 1/2 block height so we can go in and out as books

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

TheresaJayne posted:

Dont you dare, The baby zombie can go through 1x1 holes,
Who is making a 1x1 unprotected hole? Isn't that where trap doors come into play if you're into that kind of thing?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Carpet

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It's super, super lategame tech in Regrowth (like you have to get a Primordial Pearl - which requires being at late game Blood Magic and endgame Thaumcraft, as well as kill the Gaia Guardian), but Millenaire is an extremely cool mod. You deploy a village and it's like an age of empires or dwarf fortress town, we have like ~10 NPCs that run around and actually do stuff. I just watched one quarry a bunch of cobblestone to build himself a house.

Only worry is that it's probably murder on a bigger server if you have like hundreds of NPCs loaded and doing things across a ton of towns, but it's still really, really cool.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Millenaire is still around? Last time I saw it I remember little European towns and Mayans with corn being pretty much it. It was definitely murder on singleplayer back then so it's probably just as bad bad for servers now.

Anyone have experience setting up Minetweak with Agricraft? I'd like to have mutations handle literally every non-vanilla plant in my pack, and I'm noticing a few places where it might help to add new plants or recipes to cover things.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

You know it, babe. ;)

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Millenare is still around, still awesome, and still hell on servers. I'm sure it's like the oldest mod that never skipped a version now.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The last version of Millenaire I saw for 1.7.10 was horribly buggy when using the villages made in world gen, but apparently the ones made by players are fine. But yeah, it's god loving awful on server resources.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Rocko, it actually just occurred to me while catching up with the thread that the BFSR world I was using was called "Father," because the hexxit world I was playing was "Son," And the blightfall world was "Holy Spirit." Not for any particular reason! But seeing you talk about lots of dads playing your game, it reminded me. :3:

Unfortunately, I'm a 19 year old girl, and not particularly good dad material.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Beekeeping and You posted:

Rocko, it actually just occurred to me while catching up with the thread that the BFSR world I was using was called "Father," because the hexxit world I was playing was "Son," And the blightfall world was "Holy Spirit." Not for any particular reason! But seeing you talk about lots of dads playing your game, it reminded me. :3:

Unfortunately, I'm a 19 year old girl, and not particularly good dad material.

Now you must be put in the Dad Bar. "I named one of my worlds 'Father' and randomly got beamed into the Dad Bar! Am I allowed to even be drinking alcohol?" TheresaJayne is lonely.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

Didn't Magical Crops screw over all vanilla crops already in world with its new rewrite? I seem to remember that being a thing for some reason. If so, does it still do this?

That's why we didn't upgrade to it, besides it not even being on-par feature-wise with the current "beta". The new version also invalidates all existing vanilla seeds that are in your world, for ~reasons~.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Does anyone know how to measure the tick performance of TD ducts? I'm trying to do a comparison with Opis/Sampler with other power transport options (mainly GC cable because the GC dev thinks his cables are superior somehow)?

I do notice that when using sealed GC wiring, the power supplier's timing is a lot higher than one using say, Cryo fluxducts.

lolmer posted:

That's why we didn't upgrade to it, besides it not even being on-par feature-wise with the current "beta". The new version also invalidates all existing vanilla seeds that are in your world, for ~reasons~.

Good thing I didn't upgrade to the new version then, the only issue I've seen with the old one is that the platinum seed recipe is hosed and I'm a noob with Minetweaker and have no idea how to fix that poo poo.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Now you must be put in the Dad Bar. "I named one of my worlds 'Father' and randomly got beamed into the Dad Bar! Am I allowed to even be drinking alcohol?" TheresaJayne is lonely.

\o/ The girls are coming out, soon we will outnumber you guys...

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
So are there any decent 1.8 packs that don't require the technic launcher? Technic doesn't draw right in any GNOME environment it seems which is just super rad. It's almost enough to make me want to write a CLI utility to download their packs if that's even possible.

FTB Unstable has some significant omissions like Aura Cascade and Botania and just seems overall mediocre.

I've made my own packs before but I'm really not into that pain.

Edit: anyone know how to dig into technic platform URLs without their launcher? A plain browser gets 401ed. I know solder packs are an entire can of worms but simple zip packs should be possible to grab somehow.

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 28, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So I thought I'd share my Adventures With Thaumcraft 5. I've not futzed with golems yet, but I have hosed with auras. :unsmigghh:

Said loving with the aura to fix my taint! :haw:

Its a magical totem that draws in aura. Crystal's flavour the pull (with balance shards being all 6 primals and tainted shards just being Vitium) to whatever you need.

It requires shards to run, but shards are pretty easy to come by now, apart from tainted! :argh:

Just started:

One shard's worth:

Note the full squares are flat, thus empty of Vitium, and the slight bump off center from the crystal being the totem's hotspot. The Silverwoods can come with pure nodes, that slowly burn off Vitium at the sometimes cost of its own health, if it ever hits 0, the pure node is destroyed.

When I found that out, I planted a few more on my roof. I'm an enviromentally friendly thaumaturge. :downs:

Alright, lets take a tour.

My "magical urn" that feeds the crops! :haw:

Front door, this was a roguelike dungeon that i took over, the basement stuff in the link below is what i hollowed out as a result.

Alchemy Lab.

Golem press & Infernal furnace. You put a hopper where the old item grate used to be, makes it real neat and tidy. Bet it murders servers tho! :arghfist:

Buncha candles under the altar.

Theres a shitton more in here of the base itself.

Moving on! So, needed taint shards... hey, lets huck an entire inventory's worth of netherrack into a crucible on a faraway island, What could possibly go wrong?!

Kids, this is how Blightfall got started. :stare:

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
We're gonna have our purple Tiberium substitute yet!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Way to gently caress up the environment for your own gain, jerk :mad:

I should get on with my own TC5 game, I think I stopped when I had to go on another iron/gold hunt and went awww gently caress it

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Ciaphas posted:

Way to gently caress up the environment for your own gain, jerk :mad:

I should get on with my own TC5 game, I think I stopped when I had to go on another iron/gold hunt and went awww gently caress it

ProjectE is helping me with that, just using its transmutation table to offset resources.

I also turned up the spawning of ore to be greater, and start at 128 (like coal) for all kinds. Its really nice now that its baseline. :)

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

rear end-Haggis posted:

We're gonna have our purple Tiberium substitute yet!

You require more pylons minerals.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Any good/recommended server backup tools for 1.7.10 modpacks?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Fruit Chewy posted:

FTB Unstable has some significant omissions like Aura Cascade and Botania and just seems overall mediocre.

It looks like they added those two to the modpack recently.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

Any good/recommended server backup tools for 1.7.10 modpacks?

The aptly named "Server tools - backup" mod. It does what it says and has options.

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/servertools-backup

http://servertools.info/#!pages/modules/core.md

You need "core" to run it. The other servertools mods are good too.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Golems are loving rad now. Pathfindings abit derpy, Seals are abit confusing to work with but I got it... mostly. Who cares, warbots! Warbots with a jet boot! :awesomelon:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Wolves hunt in pack, Master!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

TAINT ILL LIKES ICE AND FIRE

also, what's the verdict on new thaumcraft? is it less of a chore to actually play with now?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Johnny Joestar posted:

TAINT ILL LIKES ICE AND FIRE

also, what's the verdict on new thaumcraft? is it less of a chore to actually play with now?

Research is improved, its no Thaumcraft 2 (that system was dumb for its own reasons) but its much better overall.
Aura's significantly better then Thaum 3, feels more like you start with a soft CV system from the word go and work on making it better.
Golems and Seals are rad, if alittle confusing at first.
Alchemy and its "lossy" nature is mildly frustrating but plays into a low level of dread as you watch the taint in your local aura rise, which adds a level of urgency to learn how to be better at thaumaturgy.
Insanity is still here, learn to love it.
Nothing significant was lost. For example; You still need to go COMPLETELY MAD and visit EXOTIC LOCATIONS. Speaking of, the mind dungeons now have cracks in them that leak the outside in, smothering all light and causing a howling sound. Its awesome.
:siren: GRAPPLING HOOK FOCUS is the coolest poo poo for getting around! :siren:
Wand Autocasters means you can build Tesla coils and show the world who's in charge. :science:

Overall, I would say the frustration level is significantly reduced, with some of it shuffled onto alchemy instead of research. A net loss in tedious busywork but your days of making magic happen with the crucible and it having no consequences are over.

E: The same applies to jars of essentia, as venting them into the aura is not something you want to do anymore. On the other hand, building vast storage vaults of essentia jar's is amusing in its own way. Magical toxic runoff vault! :haw:

E2: Oh and the scanner is instant now, no more clicky buildup time.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really want to play around with TC5 but there aren't any good packs I've been able to find and I don't have the time to put the work in myself. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on whatever build Direwolf20 is using in his serverplay series because it has the new Tinkers and stuff as well, but I haven't been able to find it.