Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

TTerrible posted:

Am I understanding this unmelt token thing properly?

The original plan was that stor credit could be used, then there was a miscommunication and turbulent implemented it incorrectly so that only cash could be used. Ben promised a fix was in the works and now people get one use unmelt tokens?

Does anyon have the screenshot of bens promises?

That is a load of bull crap cause if you can unmelt one ship you can unmelt all of them. Money grab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Star Citizen : [deleted] a hour ago

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

spacetoaster posted:

It finally happened! AND IT'S ALL OUR FAULT!!

I feel horrible! And all of YOU should too!!

BTW thanks to the guy who gave me the background.

This is way too short and well written for Roberts. You should have put something in about being annoyed that the citizens didn't buy more spaceships.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

This is everything wrong with early release

"pay to test the game"

like, CIG is demanding these people, who forked over money, get to work

holy poo poo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Lime Tonics posted:

spot the differences in these two .jpgs
My, how things have changed

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Madcosby posted:

"pay to test the game"

holy poo poo

i enjoy the tone he had with treating them as employees

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

did this motherfucker just congratulate himself on having a "gamer wife"

did i read that right?!
I believe they were congratulating the original poster of the thread.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
That guy.

That guy not only has managed to convince himself that those socially awkward moments he spent over christmas with his relatives convicning them to play SC was something that is going to happen, he plans to do it on a ship... that does not exist yet.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

trucutru posted:

You know, I have been posting in reddit for a bit thanks to all this stuff and Jesus Christ! does their upvote/downvote system ever suck. You cannot have a discussion with anybody because the other side is just hammering on the downvote button (I do the same thing obviously, ahahaha) as fast as they can. Sometimes I refresh my comment after five seconds and it is already at zero points, after which it doesn't move anymore because nobody else cares about the current conversation, it's just the other dude being extremely salty about disagreeing over the most uninteresting stuff.

And god have mercy of your soul if you try to be funny because that.doesn't.compute *beep* *boop*

I have a gamer hand.

The Reddit voting system doesn't work for discussions except on relatively small subreddits. Even without downvotes any intelligent discussion can easily get buried by someone posting a pun or snarky comment early on.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Madcosby posted:

"pay to test the game"

holy poo poo

The natives are getting restless

Are you a smug?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 29, 2016

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

BeefThief posted:

It is perfectly normal in games development, and really all business, that paying customers awaiting the delivery of their goods are told they will receive their product "when it's ready" or that "people always give me poo poo when I give dates so I'm not going to."

Kickstarters aren't customers though, they're investors.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Hundreds of employees in a $107 million dollar company formed to make a space ship flying and shooting game. Lack the manpower to test space ship flying and shooting.

Guess they bring in dozens of temps and tell them to act excited when journalists visit.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

trucutru posted:

Lol...'Who the gently caress are you?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-HiZZ41zHY

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

moush posted:

Don't investors get a return though in actual money and not just jpegs?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

moush posted:

Being a kickstarter investor is a lot like getting a Docterate in religious studies, you may have the DR in front of your name but you cannot perscribe poo poo.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chin posted:

Hundreds of employees in a $107 million dollar company formed to make a space ship flying and shooting game. Lack the manpower to test space ship flying and shooting.

Guess they bring in dozens of temps and tell them to act excited when journalists visit.

the best defence on reddit so far is "CIG are doing the best they can".

yes, yes they are. and it sucks.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

AP posted:

Did you see that? Over $2k he's selling, eating paypal fee and offered to knock another 5% off and he's far from the only one, lots of upgraded LTI P-72 ships, so basically people were buying the lti p72 for $20 or whatever it was sold for, then melting their account locked ships and upgrading them so they had giftable/LTI ships to sell for less than cost.

Paying $20 in chunks each time they want to get their money out, just to be able to get most of it out.

I'm in this boat. Sort of. Got two up, only slightly above cost. I should break even. But I'm not nearly into it as far as this guy is.

Also, I called this. Will get my quote later.

e:

Junk Puncher posted:

Also, I've been sort of keeping tabs on the grey market, and prices are dropping. Some listings claim "Under Cost." IDK if that's RSI cost or grey market cost at a loss.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay for them, right? Lots of defenders over at Reddit, but their market speaks too.

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 29, 2016

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Does ben lesnick seriously wear that necklace thing everywhere? I assumed it was just for the shows. Major cwc vibes.
This is perfect. the bitter disbelief at the idea of people playing the game like a game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42u7k7/as_a_new_comer_to_the_community_the_tech_here_is/

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Saint Drogo posted:

Does ben lesnick seriously wear that necklace thing everywhere? I assumed it was just for the shows. Major cwc vibes.

The worst part is that it's not even from the Wing Commander games, which are supposed to actually be good, it's from the movie. I think Croberts hired him because he's the only person in the world who liked it

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.

spacetoaster posted:

Does playing MWO with goons while drinking vodka count?

Of course not, because I'm fairly certain Lord Chris Roberts hasn't played a game in decades.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i am a smug, ama

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pain is really pleasure

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

trucutru posted:

Are you a smug?

dont worry starkiller, not playing AC doesn't seem to be a problem for the majority of the backers

cuz apparently it sucks

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Eonwe posted:

pain is really pleasure
Please don't say that. You might summon the Stimpire author.

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

That's him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Iglocska posted:

Wait, you can turn money tied up in something non-giftable giftable if you upgrade a giftable LTI ship?

If you melt a ship you get store credit. But ships bought w/ store credit can't be sent as a gift to other players.

Buy a ship with cash. Melt for store credit.
Later, buy a cheaper ship for cash, use store credit to put upgrades on that ship.
Gift that ship.

Ex:
Buy assship.jpeg for $500 real money (can be gifted).
Buttship.jpeg comes out, and you want it but can't afford it.
Melt assship.jpeg for $500 store credit.
Buy buttship.jpeg for $500 store credit (can't be gifted).
Read DSmart thread.
:frogout:
You now have $500 in the game that you can't get refunded, and your buttship.jpeg is account bound.
melt buttship.jpeg for $500 store credit.
Buy 2x cockship.jpeg for $40 real money (can be gifted).
Apply $250 worth of upgrades with store credit to turn cockship.jpeg into dickship.jpeg (can still be gifted).
Sell 2x dickship.jpeg on grey market (get money through PP, send as gift on RSI website)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress it lads, this thread has hooked me. Im in for every hilarious, ridiculous car crash-esk moment of this whole farce.

I don't know what will eventually happen, but I will be laughing all the way.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 29, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Junk Puncher posted:

If you melt a ship you get store credit. But ships bought w/ store credit can't be sent as a gift to other players.

Buy a ship with cash. Melt for store credit.
Later, buy a cheaper ship for cash, use store credit to put upgrades on that ship.
Gift that ship.

Ex:
Buy assship.jpeg for $500 real money (can be gifted).
Buttship.jpeg comes out, and you want it but can't afford it.
Melt assship.jpeg for $500 store credit.
Buy buttship.jpeg for $500 store credit (can't be gifted).
Read DSmart thread.
:frogout:
You now have $500 in the game that you can't get refunded, and your buttship.jpeg is account bound.
melt buttship.jpeg for $500 store credit.
Buy 2x cockship.jpeg for $40 real money (can be gifted).
Apply $250 worth of upgrades with store credit to turn cockship.jpeg into dickship.jpeg (can still be gifted).
Sell 2x dickship.jpeg on grey market (get money through PP, send as gift on RSI website)

i dont know what youre trying to say here but im sure its some kind of insult to my mom. gently caress you commando

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

in a dusty old thread on the forums they watched
the collapse of the faithful on reddit
and as denial began, they stood tall to a man
or at least five in the case of ben lesnick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WL5MX1Co8

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen isn't pay-to-win. It's pay-to-live.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

trucutru posted:

Are you a smug?

The fourth stimpire actually punishes people by making them play Arena Commander.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its pay to live

and with my first investment i want to become

a space hobo

Staircase
Jun 6, 2011

trucutru posted:

"They need more people to play their game mode"

It's boring and broken, nobody wants to

"If you don't like it then don't play it"

ok

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Which is also cool because it's helped provide incentive for both companies to roll out mechs that haven't been seen since Harmony Gold started suing the bejeezus out of anybody who tried to use them in the early nineties. And because the MWO art guy (Alex Iglesias) is incredibly talented, and all of his giant stompy robots look pretty incredible. Especially compared to some of the older Battletech art (I understand the nostalgia value, but come on, that poo poo's goofy as gently caress).

I actually prefer Matt Plog's work as a matter of pure art design, though it's frankly impossible to beat FD's level of mechanical detail. And by god CGL wants the rest of its artists to try, or at least try to keep up. That said Plog's been the face of the BT TROs for years now and in my opinion the guy who produced the best `Mech, vehicle, and battle armor illustrations in TRO3145 and 3150. Plog's designs tend to be cleaner and with more confidently expressed forms and silhouettes. That and I like how he's not afraid to indulge in some 80's-style mecha whimsy. He's more obviously inspired by Japanese illustrators and they hit all the right notes for me.

His deviantart page isn't as immediately impressive at a glance however, so I'll link to his Sarna gallery instead.

And have some samples:

Put in SC thread terms, I think FD's MWO work looks better in a garage (and a lot of it is PGI's art direction because you'll see him crank out sketches that look more imaginative than what actually goes into the game), but I think Plog's designs are better for building a universe around.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 29, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

trucutru posted:

Are you a smug?

To be fair, the star citizen subreddit is the first place I'd think to look for tools.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Will there be g-forces inside my crate as I wait to jump out and rape the reckless pilot who thought he could save a few gallons of fuel by skimming the edge of the Stimpire?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

" For the privilege of giving Chris our money, we are entitled to nothing. He is obligated to give us nothing."

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/42va94/can_we_just_clear_this_up_once_and_for_all_people/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will never stop laughing until I scream at the phrase "privileged to give Chris our money." They know that the privilege is HIS, right? Privilege is something positive, not a negative. Not having money is a negative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Jason Sextro posted: