Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

I would probably be annoyed about the older games being slow too but it's been such a long time since I played them that I can't remember.

It does help that these days it's easier to get past the slowness in the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Countblanc posted:

That's basically the most damning thing for a video game period though

12 has a good soundtrack, has a cool universe, and the story is kinda interesting/intricate

production quality wise, for its time, i'd say it's pretty impressive

it's almost like a telltale game based on what i just said

General Morden fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 29, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
12 was all about hunts and exploration and good VA played through a tincan with a string. If you weren't into those, there wasn't a lot to enjoy. That said, my expectations for the series were low at that point so it was a pleasant surprise to me. My expectations were just as low when 13 came out and it was a forgettable disappointment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah the License Board was kind of meh. A shame, but it's not a big deal. But to set up characters who fight enemies entirely devoid of player input takes a lot of active effort, so I don't feel the game should be blamed for that aspect of its design. And again, in the harder boss battles and mob rushes, the automated attack system allowed me to basically coordinate six-man groups on my own, swapping people out and doing things three-at-a-time of course. It just eliminates the need to repetetively press attack and instead gives me more strategic opportunities.

It really wasn't a big effort. FFXII (and the entire franchise as I've said before) isn't a very complex game. You have very limited options, even compared to the franchise as a whole, and so setting up an effective automated combat system is very simple. FFXIII boiled it down to "Attack, Magic, Buff, Debuff, Heal and Defend" and that kind of sums it up. FFXII doesn't even really meaningfully have the last one. That's not terrible on its own but when you're setting up the gambits it stands out more than most. (And I wouldn't mind that if FFXII's combat system wasn't super slow.)

I also never had any real need to use more than three dudes since (especially in the original version) they were all basically interchangeable except base stats. IJS helps with this a little but still not enough to demand party variation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, even in IZJS, you can easily build a party that can tackle everything making the other 3 just extra people in case I guess? It doesn't help that the combat in FF12 never really gets particularly complex. The system isn't super deep (there's no sensible steal gambit, for instance) and there aren't any bosses that take advantage of the automation and efficiencies it can provide. That said, for being the first of its kind on consoles it's not half bad, and if it had been expanded on it'd be really quite enjoyable.

It's still better in every way than FF3 DS or such but most of the game is managing the non-difficulty and lengthy amount of time it takes to go through places. Seriously, I think 12 has by far the worst dungeons in the series, they're visually uninteresting and repetitive to fill up the space needed for the combat engine.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 29, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I played without gambits and it was just a fun real-time version of classic FF gameplay.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I played without gambits and it was just a fun real-time version of classic FF gameplay.

plz dont troll

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I've been replaying VII now that it's on PS4, I haven't played it in a few years, and there's a plot thread that's really bugging me. I just got all the Huge Materia back from Shinra, which they were going to use to blow up Meteor, and I'm not entirely sure why I did that. Shinra, for all their faults, is legitimately trying to not have the world destroyed then, and the best explanation as to why I'm doing this is Cloud saying "We don't want Shinra using it to blow up Meteor, we want to use it to beat Sephiroth", which we don't know can even stop Meteor in and of itself. Granted, I'm sure it wouldn't have worked, but I don't know what the whole point of it was.

I am loving the hell out of the speed x3 option. I didn't even know about the "click R3 to refill health and your limit meter" feature until halfway through the game. It may be one of the cheesier things I've ever seen in a game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TL posted:

I've been replaying VII now that it's on PS4, I haven't played it in a few years, and there's a plot thread that's really bugging me. I just got all the Huge Materia back from Shinra, which they were going to use to blow up Meteor, and I'm not entirely sure why I did that. Shinra, for all their faults, is legitimately trying to not have the world destroyed then, and the best explanation as to why I'm doing this is Cloud saying "We don't want Shinra using it to blow up Meteor, we want to use it to beat Sephiroth", which we don't know can even stop Meteor in and of itself. Granted, I'm sure it wouldn't have worked, but I don't know what the whole point of it was.

I am loving the hell out of the speed x3 option. I didn't even know about the "click R3 to refill health and your limit meter" feature until halfway through the game. It may be one of the cheesier things I've ever seen in a game.
It gets lost in the jumble since you can gently caress up and not get any huge materia at all, but I think the idea was supposed to be Bugenhagen used the knowledge condensed in them to figure out the key to the hidden temple at the Ancient's capital.

Besides on a more fundamental level, its kind of hosed up to launch a bunch of condensed souls into space to try and blow up a rock.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

zedprime posted:

It gets lost in the jumble since you can gently caress up and not get any huge materia at all, but I think the idea was supposed to be Bugenhagen used the knowledge condensed in them to figure out the key to the hidden temple at the Ancient's capital.

Besides on a more fundamental level, its kind of hosed up to launch a bunch of condensed souls into space to try and blow up a rock.

Eh, I can see that, but I've spent twenty hours at this point sticking those condensed souls into swords and guns in order to hit monsters with lightning. Materia seems to just be a means to an end in that world, despite the spiritual significance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TL posted:

The long and short of it is basically that Shinra is going to do a lot of shady stuff to get it and there's not really a significant chance it will work, it's just Shinra trying to do SOMETHING because they know they're otherwise hosed.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tangential, FF7 has the best OST because it has 3 songs named, in part, "Shinra Explodes!".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TL posted:

It's a giant waste of resources, basically. You can use that stuff to get Bahamut ZERO or Master Materia, why waste it on a plan that has virtually no chance of working?

But yes, that is one of the weaker parts of FFVII's plot. It really does feel like "only WE can save the world, gently caress you guys." It's kind of ironic since it will be Shinra who takes down Sephiroth's barrier.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Whenever I'm losing a battle in FF12 and I have to run away, I then have to run around in circles as my MP slowly builds up and the characters cast cure on each other. I must be doing something wrong because the game can't actually expect you to do that. Someone wouldn't possibly have thought that was a good idea. Would they?

General Morden posted:

12 has a good soundtrack, has a cool universe, and the story is kinda interesting/intricate

production quality wise, for its time, i'd say it's pretty impressive

it's almost like a telltale game based on what i just said

I've been playing FF12 for 13 hours. Still patiently waiting for the story to get interesting. Or to think it has a cool universe. So far it's just a lot of sand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

plz dont troll
It's way more fun. It's all about fast strategy and timing. You can see some of FF13's roots in it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I've been playing FF12 for 13 hours. Still patiently waiting for the story to get interesting. Or to think it has a cool universe. So far it's just a lot of sand.

When you head for the Ozmone Plain, that's when it gets good .It was for me, anyway.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Whenever I'm losing a battle in FF12 and I have to run away, I then have to run around in circles as my MP slowly builds up and the characters cast cure on each other. I must be doing something wrong because the game can't actually expect you to do that. Someone wouldn't possibly have thought that was a good idea. Would they?
It is almost as if you are playing a roguelike.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I love FF12 but it has one of the worst beginning sections I've seen in a game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Help Im Alive posted:

I worship Naoto, does that count

This is a couple hours ago but this is a superior opinion. Chie is too mainstream and Rise is a slut, Naoto best girl.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
So I've been chuggin' around in Final Fantasy Explorers, and it actually is pretty fun. Always felt a little overwhelmed by the monster hunter games, so getting baby's first monster hunter with a neat final fantasy skin is pretty nice.

My main problem currently comes from the circle pad pro. Is there a way to change the functionality of the ZR and ZL buttons? There doesn't seem to be a control option, and in the options menu there seems to only be the "turn on/off circle pad pro" option. I've got kinda big hands, so using the pad and still needing to use that natural L and the new R button is really uncomfortable and I'd rather use the Z's for them. And besides, why the hell do the Z buttons just dash? It's crazy useless, B works perfectly fine for that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

TL posted:

Shinra had to put in a lot of effort to clear out Via Infinito ok

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Or it could be like other FF games and not regenerate at all? Drink some ethers. Hit some monsters, take some damage. With licenses all these things regenerate MP. Totally running out of MP is usually only a problem when you're trying to use quickenings to kill monsters way over your level. Granted, separating MP and mist charges for quickenings/summons was one of the better IZJS changes.

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is true. They front-loaded the game with all the desert and sandy areas, so the environments feel really repetitive and beige for a long time.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Crisis Core chat:

I kinda get the battle system. It seems simple enough. Except the slots. Do I just level up randomly? The gently caress is up with that?

Also, I beat the first Wutai story mission, should I assume I should tackle as many side missions as possible before going with Tseng to meet Genesis's parents? I found that walking around and talking to people unlocks stuff. I'm now part of a Genesis fan club for some reason! It's fun and Zack is cool.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Crisis Core chat:

I kinda get the battle system. It seems simple enough. Except the slots. Do I just level up randomly? The gently caress is up with that?

If i recall correctly, there is a background xp counter that keeps track of when you 'should' level up. If you haven't gotten enough xp, the level up slots can't show up.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Idk for sure but I heard you're guaranteed a level after a certain point and slots get you earlier levels if you're lucky.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Crisis Core chat:

Also, I beat the first Wutai story mission, should I assume I should tackle as many side missions as possible before going with Tseng to meet Genesis's parents? I found that walking around and talking to people unlocks stuff. I'm now part of a Genesis fan club for some reason! It's fun and Zack is cool.

the slots are literally rigged and not random at all, so dont worry about that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Crisis Core chat:

You have an invisible EXP bar and when it hits max you will gain a level no matter what. Literally the only thing the slots can do with your level is randomly get you a level a little early

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

Like Baldur's Gate 2 and skipping the first tutorial dungeon, FF12 needs a patch that lets you skip the entire first town tutorial. Just start you outside town with all the loot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Sunning posted:

It was Hiroshi Minagawa who was brought in to split director duties with Hiroyuki Ito. Akitoshi Kawazu was the producer of the game. According to interviews by FFXII staff, Kawazu was the one who turned the game into a shippable product. The major problems with the game's development, such as miscommunication between teams or feature creep, were a structural issue than the fault of any one individual. Kawazu basically spent the last six months of development getting the teams working together and axing content/features that weren't working out.
You're right, I got that mixed up for some reason (mainly because I'm a moron). :downs:

The obtuse crap like the Zodiac Spear does seem like the kind of thing he would be all over, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So with FFIX Steam coming, I was wondering something. Stealing - what is worth the hassle and what isn't? I stole everything from every boss but I can't remember exactly what was great and what wasn't.

I thought stealing was worth the extra effort most of the time but the Holy Lance from Ark is a "must" in my view. It was a huge upgrade for Freya and you can't get it for a good, long while.

Meanwhile, the Four Chaos Guardians have only poo poo from what I can recall. It was kind of disappointing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

So with FFIX Steam coming, I was wondering something. Stealing - what is worth the hassle and what isn't? I stole everything from every boss but I can't remember exactly what was great and what wasn't.

I thought stealing was worth the extra effort most of the time but the Holy Lance from Ark is a "must" in my view. It was a huge upgrade for Freya and you can't get it for a good, long while.

Meanwhile, the Four Chaos Guardians have only poo poo from what I can recall. It was kind of disappointing.

Most bosses are worth stealing from. The exceptions are the rare steals from Beatrix and that fucker "Hilgigars" :downs:

I think if you're diligent with Chocobo Hot and Cold, you can dig open a crack the first time you get to the western continent and get Freya's ultimate spear before you even fight Ark.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

NikkolasKing posted:

Stealing is worthwhile throughout the game, honestly, since once you get Thievery, you can do max damage pretty early in the game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Final Fantasy IX is probably the best Final Fantasy game in the series.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
+1 for Explorers being surprisingly slightly-above-mediocre. Reminds me much more of PSO than Monster Hunter. My biggest complaints are that the trash mobs are, at least thus far, completely laughable (everything explodes in one or two hits) and that it would have really benefited from AI/bot guests. The gameplay is set up to be very MMO-esque, with clear tank/buffer/healer/dps roles, but the ability system is pretty interesting.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Naw, if not for the NES era it would be the worst.

Edit: Well also ff11 I guess.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 29, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No, it definitely is.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Failboattootoot posted:

Naw, if not for the NES era it would be the worst.

Edit: Well also ff11 I guess.

You have bad opinions and you should feel bad.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

8-Bit Scholar posted:

A-loving-men. It's everything I want in a FF game.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

8-Bit Scholar posted:

i like final fantasy V myself.

IX is good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Countblanc posted:

That's basically the most damning thing for a video game period though

Developed by Ubisoft actually wins this.