Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why are you printing anything in the first place

poor life decisions itt (IN THIS THREAD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Soricidus posted:

it just seems weird that the entire history of applicaitons recently has basically been "how can we increase vertical space, how can we get rid of menu bars and push tabs into the title bar" and then along comes gnome and is all "nope you're going to have a blank and useless inch of nothingness at the top of every window forever and you're going to like it dammit"

Hmmm maybe this happened because every screen is now a 16-or-higher:9 horizontal line instead of a sane 16:10 or 4:3 or 3:2 rectangle.

Gnome 3: the UI for Surface Pro.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Marzzle posted:

but seriously i can't really conceive of how people write something spread across a few modules and still remember what each method/object etc accept as parameters and their return types. i know people must do it and i pretty regularly write (and screw up) python stuff in text editors but java seems like it would be some next level frustration.

how do you keep track of a lot of stuff on a regular editor?

ctags

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WipM3SAYqK4

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Marzzle posted:

unbuntu is actually pretty bad so now you are making some positive life changes by considering other distros

like kicking your heroin habit to get on suboxone

you've got it backwards. Ubuntu Is the suboxxone for Linux addiction. then once you're clean you switch to osx

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Installed KDE. what the gently caress is going on with the icons in this tool bar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

Installed KDE. what the gently caress is going on with the icons in this tool bar

lol my icons on emacs are different from the open pane and way different than my thunar. i love theme hell.

really want to do a rice like those /g/ anime rice kids but with john cena or something. really can't be arsed to do that much theme work for a laff

imagine putting this much work into your cli themes
http://i.imgur.com/b6vOHT0.png

b0red fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 28, 2016

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Barnyard Protein posted:

wait are you using emacs as a web browser wtf is wrong with you

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

wait are you using emacs as a web browser wtf is wrong with you

i assure you there is a lot wrong with me but i'm not quite that far-gone, no

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the more ppl customize they linux the less useful work they do w/ it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Barnyard Protein posted:

lol if your .emacs doesn't disable the toolbar, menubar, and startup page as the first thing it does

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Soricidus posted:

lol if your .emacs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
emacs is good

the emacs toolbar is bad

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

lol if you emacs

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
pfft my .vimrc file is to die for

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Barnyard Protein posted:

code:
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(menu-bar-mode -1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)
(tool-bar-mode -1)
(setq tty-menu-open-use-tmm t)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Barnyard Protein posted:

ahahahaha

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
itt we learn: different linux things don't play nice with each other

choosing OSes: pick one from not poo poo, customisable, compatible

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

vim

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use a combination of Sublime/Gedit/nano/vim/Pycharm/PHPStorm/Eclipse-cdt.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

wait do people actually use desktop environments? i thought that was a myth

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

turns out one of my professors worked down the hall from stallman at some point, i asked him if he ever wore shoes then

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

code:

(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(menu-bar-mode -1)
(scroll-bar-mode -1)
(tool-bar-mode -1)
(setq tty-menu-open-use-tmm t)

scroll bar's ok, it's a handy visual reference to location in file

belongs on the left though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Soricidus posted:

scroll bar's ok, it's a handy visual reference to location in file

belongs on the left though

if i have to scroll down on your class it's too long!!

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

if you commit anything that wraps in my 80x24 terminal I swear to god

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
gnome 3 has crashed on me 3x and kde hard locked up my work laptop today. those events, plus the ugh.pdf's effect on my easily influenced mind have me wanting to go back to win7. ... next year

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Barnyard Protein posted:

gnome 3 has crashed on me 3x and kde hard locked up my work laptop today. those events, plus the ugh.pdf's effect on my easily influenced mind have me wanting to go back to win7. ... next year

just give in to the tiling wm.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol if you don't use fvwm. :smug:

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

b0red posted:

lol my icons on emacs are different from the open pane and way different than my thunar. i love theme hell.

really want to do a rice like those /g/ anime rice kids but with john cena or something. really can't be arsed to do that much theme work for a laff

imagine putting this much work into your cli themes
http://i.imgur.com/b6vOHT0.png

If you are "theming" your cli more than just changing text colors than you should just use a gui.

I feel that if linux on the desktop is ultimately a cli then that's a fitting end to this effort.

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 29, 2016

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Barnyard Protein posted:

This next question is important. What distribution is it running?

I had gnome 3 under ubuntu 14.04 on a home desktop and for a month, gnome-shell would hang at least once or twice. The debugger said it was spinning in some gl library provided by nouveau dri or something.

Switched to Fedora cinnamon and it's been rosy ever since.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

celeron 300a posted:

If you are "theming" your cli more than just changing text colors than you should just use a gui.

I feel that if linux on the desktop is ultimately a cli then that's a fitting end to this effort.

I couldn't imagine the amount of time spent trying to make a decent color scheme/entire theme with hex codes. I apply Molokai to literally everything. if someone hasn't built a Molokai theme for it. it's not themed.

Linux on the desktop at its best is just some terminals/emacs and a web browser.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

celeron 300a posted:

This next question is important. What distribution is it running?

I had gnome 3 under ubuntu 14.04 on a home desktop and for a month, gnome-shell would hang at least once or twice. The debugger said it was spinning in some gl library provided by nouveau dri or something.

Switched to Fedora cinnamon and it's been rosy ever since.

fedora 23 on a lenovo t450s. its pretty good, all in all. the gnome restarts are the first and only problem i've had.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my ubuntu gnome has owned and been insanely stable cept for 2 bugs:

- for some patch thats gone now but for a while audacity would hardlock me compy sometimes.

- printer is hosed to hell now and needs cups restart nonstop basically every print job and sometimes it cant be rezzed and needs reboot or printer remove/readd

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
2016 year of Linux on the desktop: Don't use Ubuntu.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

2016 year of Linux on the desktop: Don't use

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i like ubuntu kuz its got so many ppl its the default / top option for dl software and faqs and stuff. also ppl on ubuntu (like me) are basic n00bs who cant handle the tough stuff so they make it ez and hopefully work good. but this printer bull poo poo is pissin me off. i aint got time to janitor the freaing printer nonstop. it can make my job rly slow. i print scripts (sides) and contracts and poo poo every fkin day.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

i like ubuntu kuz its got so many ppl its the default / top option for dl software and faqs and stuff. also ppl on ubuntu (like me) are basic n00bs who cant handle the tough stuff so they make it ez and hopefully work good. but this printer bull poo poo is pissin me off. i aint got time to janitor the freaing printer nonstop. it can make my job rly slow. i print scripts (sides) and contracts and poo poo every fkin day.

Use Fedora. It's almost as easy and not horrible.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Use Fedora. It's almost as easy and not horrible.

im going to blast into fedora soon and its going to be epic. im also going to try to plug the external hd at work into the router for some epic file xfer. never did that b4 so im p drat hype. but i dont have time to cripple me ol compy till next week or something. fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

im going to blast into fedora soon and its going to be epic. im also going to try to plug the external hd at work into the router for some epic file xfer. never did that b4 so im p drat hype. but i dont have time to cripple me ol compy till next week or something. fail.

It's already crippled with Ubuntu on it.