Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

mrking posted:

what are your opinions on :smug: :smuggo: :smugdog:?????

Do you wear pants?????

What is a smug????

This is great, now Croberts doesn't have to spend 36 hours straight writing the farewell letter when this game crashes.

I would prefer a 2 hour movie I can go to watch and make fun of with other people than a 5 episode game where each episode costs $40 and contains 5 hours of cutscenes and 1 hour of gameplay. Actually that makes me wonder, did CRoberts film all the cutscenes with this AAA stars or is he going to need to get them back in the MOCAP studio when they start working on SQ42 Episode 2?

Someone promise to get all of the Sandi cut scenes in S42 over to me and I will make something glorious (if it comes out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if - as eightace said - they havent even got a single playable campaign mission ready for SQ42, surely they are going to have to do additional motion capture sessions.

every time i think even remotely halfway about this as a project in development i start grinning internally at what an utter catastrophic disaster it is. and the best is yet to come! what a great year to be alive and also not have money invested in star citizen

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 29, 2016

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
By far the most unbelievable thing posted so far in this thread is that somehow MWO is kind of fun to play now.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

alf_pogs posted:

if - as eightace said - they havent even got a single playable campaign mission ready for SQ42, surely they are going to have to do additional motion capture sessions.

I have this nagging feeling that the grand finale of this adventure will be that they're unable to properly utilize the motion capture material that they've already captured. Either by something being off with the models or it simply not fitting when they attempt to adapt it into the actual game which they haven't made yet.

I don't know much about much. But I feel like you're asking for trouble when you do a bunch of motion capture work and then try to build a game around it. Unless everything they shot is seriously just going to be FMV videos like in the old days through the filter of animation.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Avalanche posted:

Assuming Ben lives on the west side of LA, how the gently caress is he so loving fat? How the gently caress is he getting fatter? Santa Monica/west side is so affluent you can sometimes find bums with gym memberships to Equinox gyms. Even if you just walk outside for 10min and look at people, you start feeling like you need to go to the gym or run or loving do something immediately.

People have been saying Ben's more natural on AtV than Sandy, but he's not really. After scanning through a few videos of this for gifables you'll see how he's got a very limited set of emotes mostly involving waving hands and flapping arms, and it's probably his entire exercise at this point.

Didn't Ben get his hands exclusively on some assets when Origin kicked the bucket? Then sat on them and distributed them to those chosen by him?
Imagine CIG folds and Chris gives Ben this big stack of hard drives with jpges and poo poo, and then Ben becomes the head priest and starts showing a few pictures and 20 seconds of video once a year. All to keep the dream going till CR comes back so that everyone is ready.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

DigitalMocking posted:

By far the most unbelievable thing posted so far in this thread is that somehow MWO is kind of fun to play now.

It's a crazy time we live in. Up is down and blue is a number. But it's true. MWO is actually fun and good. Except the new map. gently caress the new map.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Thronde posted:

It's a crazy time we live in. Up is down and blue is a number. But it's true. MWO is actually fun and good. Except the new map. gently caress the new map.

Stockholm syndrome is a hell of a thing

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

every time i think even remotely halfway about this as a project in development i start grinning internally at what an utter catastrophic disaster it is. and the best is yet to come! what a great year to be alive and also not have money invested in star citizen

I wondered about this too.

Presumably they won't be able to afford to drag the likes of Oldman, Serkis, Anderson, Hamill etc back into the studio to do more scenes so I guess as SQ42 plays out it will be populated by increasingly generic Sandi-calibre unknown ex-CSI Miami actors. I'm half expecting to see Michael Biehn pop up.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I wondered about this too.

Presumably they won't be able to afford to drag the likes of Oldman, Serkis, Anderson, Hamill etc back into the studio to do more scenes so I guess as SQ42 plays out it will be populated by increasingly generic Sandi-calibre unknown ex-CSI Miami actors. I'm half expecting to see Michael Biehn pop up.
They scrap all the body mocap and the entire S42 will be Dragon Quest slimes wearing animated masks of actors.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Supreme Leader Roberts cannot fail, he can only be failed--if the backers had really deserved a Thousand Year Space Sim, they would not have been so weak.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Darkpriest667 posted:

How the hell are you more ignored than I am?

I think I have about ten or so ignores myself. I'd ignore you, but every time I look at your fedora, I feel good about myself.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

You know who else was stationed in Santa Monica and had a sister studio overseas who they farmed out all of the major programming to?

Stellar Studios who made Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

Think about it.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

jesus christ, you know how I am spamming them with bogus support tickets? I kid you not, they actually replied to a few of them and after a back and forth I actually got them to give me a Javelin hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

how much are they selling for on Reddit? I wanna sell it for half as much just to tank prices

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SeldomSeen posted:

This thread has inspired me. I got a rescue cat so I can read this thread while petting him and laughing my rear end off.

Good to know I'm not the only one feeling uncomfortably catless as a result of the thread. Maybe when SC judgement day happens I'll adopt a cat to celebrate

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

grimcreaper posted:

I wonder what Linus thinks about the current Star Citizen stuff going on.

They have some money in it. They have two Star Citizen posters up!

I also uncovered a conspiracy!

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

hey pgabz

you know the 'freelancer' the big new metallic ship with the horrible bunker cockpit?

you can glitch through the floor to steal it.

get behind the loading ramp and crouch down with ctrl, then you can walk through/under the ship up to the cockpit, and you clip up inside of it and can get into the captain's chair before anyone else has a chance.

The thing I like about developers that take their time to do things right is all the nice touches they can add, these hidden Easter eggs really add to the long term appeal of the game.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

ZenMaster posted:

You know who else was stationed in Santa Monica and had a sister studio overseas who they farmed out all of the major programming to?

Think about it.

how does the current PU stack up to that game in terms of quality, anyway?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Supreme Leader Roberts cannot fail, he can only be failed--if the backers had really deserved a Thousand Year Space Sim, they would not have been so weak.

Are there any "Hitler finds out" videos revolving Star Citizen or Derek Smart? At the airport so can't really check right now.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

ZenMaster posted:

Think about it.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

Think about it.
pre:
                        |    Big Rigs   |   Star Citizen
No AI                   |       X       |        X
Big cargo haulers       |       X       |        X
Wonky physics           |       X       |        X
Bad collision detection |       X       |        X
Persistence             |               |
Faster than light travel|       X       |        X
Holy poo poo!

Iglocska fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jan 29, 2016

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly there's no guarantee that a squig brain wouldn't improve me.

Not when your the bloody driver!

All that asides, the use of b the 'verse as a term is very loving jarring. Way to rip off Firefly Cig.

Just because you can't provide on your own 'content' does not make ok to steal others.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Iglocska posted:

pre:
Holy poo poo!
The speed limits are different.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
He's the angry video game nerd.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

The speed limits are different.

True, you can keep accelerating without any artificial limitation in Big Rigs. Is Big Rigs a better space sim than Star Citizen?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hitler Bunker Scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2OAC2hFTE ?

Also

Xaerael posted:

Lesnick is some kind of bizarre Ouroboros living in an impossible world where even though he can't touch his toes, he's constantly has his foot in his mouth.
HOLY poo poo.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 29, 2016

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Avalanche posted:

Assuming Ben lives on the west side of LA, how the gently caress is he so loving fat? How the gently caress is he getting fatter? Santa Monica/west side is so affluent you can sometimes find bums with gym memberships to Equinox gyms. Even if you just walk outside for 10min and look at people, you start feeling like you need to go to the gym or run or loving do something immediately.

No joke he is probably under a lot of stress at work and is eating his emotions to help cope with that. Also a lot of people are not properly educated on how to feed themselves and don't know how to dig themselves out of the hole they are in, or where to look ask for help if they are actually in trouble. Ben if you're reading this go see a doctor and have an open discussion about your weight and what simple steps you can take to correct your path before it becomes too late.

I still don't know why Sandi is such a bitch though.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Iglocska posted:

pre:
Holy poo poo!

you forgot they both have faster-than-light travel

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

you forgot they both have faster-than-light travel

Updated!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ZenMaster posted:

Think about it.

I really love how Star Citizen has stayed true to Big Rigs and is truly Big Rigs in Space.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nemo2342 posted:

Part of me wants to put you on ignore, so that you can continue to climb the ranks. But then I'd miss your spinny elephant and your amusing shitposts, so I don't.

How can anyone with a heart ignore Eonwe? :allears: That'd be like ignoring pgabz. A world without dancing cats and spinning elephants isn't a world I want to live in.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i look forward to citizens blaming the collapse on everything but the breakdown in project management

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 29, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Remember back when you thought buying 4 spaceships at $600 each was a good way to make money? That was a bit before you decided to buy 2 other spaceships at $350 each.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Haha, genius.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSq8ZBdSxNU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

phosdex posted:

how will Robber actually get his movie distributed? you pretty much need one of the big hollywood studios to back you right unless you're just shooting for z-list status?

Hey, z-list would be an upgrade for Crobber.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

SelenicMartian posted:

Didn't Ben get his hands exclusively on some assets when Origin kicked the bucket? Then sat on them and distributed them to those chosen by him?
Yeah he managed to get the source code and some assets off things like Wing Commander from ex-Origin employees.
The pick and choose wankery came from two competing Privateer fan remakes where he decided one team over the other deserved the original 3D files for the station backgrounds.
He used his exclusive holder of the source to lord over WCNews and he was pretty reviled well before SC got going.

quote:

Assuming Ben lives on the west side of LA, how the gently caress is he so loving fat? How the gently caress is he getting fatter?
If you go by his social media accounts, a healthy dose of depression and subsequent stress eating for the dopamine thrill.
As the mood at CIG has gotten worse and worse no doubt seeing people get fired or Sandi push through the ranks to explode at someone hasn't helped one bit.

Not to mention the sheer dissatisfaction of finally working with your idol only to find out he's nowhere the visionary you'd hope he'd be, a bad and lazy communicator and so distant that he has his decisions overridden by his wife without him knowing. (No surprise if that actually happened.)
Plus having to bear the ire of others as critical staff get fired while you can sit on a sofa and stream your junk food addiction while watching Star Wars weighs on his concious.

Mo-crap
Mo-cap isn't new to games - but it's still used sparingly as it's tough to manage. Most games only really use it under controlled circumstances, like a cutscene over player driven animation, as it presents more variables than you really would want and requires a tight ship to use effectively.

This is where your RnD before starting is crucial in setting out your rules and regulations to get a smooth pipeline. One small fuckup in a multi-asset hand-over environment really wastes everyone's time. And claiming "well it's not my job" isn't a valid answer. The bad quality seen so far is indicative that no one is communicating with each other to help fix problems and no one knows what to do.

I can easily see how Mo-cap can cause endless nightmares as the CryEngine documentation pretty much paints it as a dark art, especially in the cleanup phase where they warn you, repeatedly, that hours of work will be lost if something goes wrong.

They also say one mo-cap format does not fit all so if CIG are using multiple production houses at some point they would possibly have had been forced to reshoot owing to translation issues from different capture systems refusing to play nice.

Mo-cap is really really fiddily - most animators use it for reference over hand animation as it captures all of the subtleties that are hard to match by hand.
Compare it to keyframe animation where you set points of motion across a timeline and the computer calculates the tween. Easy to change as you can simply move that one keyframe.

Mocap records continuously so every frame is a keyframe.
If you need to change something you are in for a ton of wrangling and messing about as you can't simply delete a bad frame - the system will try and tween to compensate and given one keyframe is a ton of variables.

It's also much more taxing to play back as that's 24 frames of data a second the game engine has to consider - try syncing that over a server.

To break it down a bit more; you record a motion then attach it to a model's skeleton. The model and skeleton have to be designed in accordance to the mo-cap data for a smooth fit.
So does your solider have enough polys to bend an arm without tearing for instance, will adding a mocap where the character does jumping jacks mean you have to then remodel and re-rig to fix this issue? Can the skeleton be articulated enough to accept a wide range of movement data or does it need more points for something not included in the default rig?

In any setup you have to manually pin the mo-cap data to the skeleton, this is where major flaws can present itself as an incorrect assignment on the wrong part can mean the mocap data rotates the wrong thing.

It's why I suspect the lip synch looks so bad on the Paaarpman speech as the in-game head cannot support the same level of polygon fidelity as recorded by a capture system meant for a motion picture, so they were forced to rip out a bunch of points and made him look like a robot with a stroke.

Another factor to keep in mind (especially with FPS games) in a smooth transition between various sub-animations of limbs - say running while aiming and so on. If these sequences have a drastic shift in coordinates then things will get messy or choppy if keyframes are too sudden.

Have a look at the dodgy Star Marine teaser video of the cover animation. You'll see something wasn't setup right and the arm movement is causing the elbow pad to rotate as the model comes in and out of character.

Oh and I haven't mentioned match moving the mocap characters to move properly in the game environments.
I wonder if they forget to convert imperial to metric when working across studios.

Beyond that you have secondary animations, props and clothing to deal with - most things like guns can just be stuck onto the hand but items like helmets being put on usually require lots of chicanery and additional custom animations that have to slot in over the top of a mocap animation that have to synch and not look out of place.

tl;dr - SQ42's dev team are so in the deep purely from having to deal with mocap alone they are barely going to have anything on time.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Of course it's nonsense, but how can cro have his movie without mocap? As it stands, SC is full of capably made art assets that only work well as static objects because *someone* won't compromise.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Avalanche posted:

Ben, if you're reading this, please check out the YLLS forums. They have some pretty sound weightlifting advice.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

That's him, in the folding chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer