Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Did it really? I just installed version 44, and lost YouTube Center, the only unsigned add-on I had. It's still listed as enabled, but Firefox seemingly doesn't load it anymore. xpinstall.signatures.required is set to false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's something else between YTC and 44, but nobody is sure what and the developer has been incommunicado for a couple of weeks. The Greasemonkey version still works, apparently.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Yeah, I'd highly recommend dropping the YTC addon and moving to the userscript instead.

Install this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/
And then this script: https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Upgrading to 44 nuked every cookie that Firefox had. Not the end of the world by any means, but weird.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Talking about fonts, is there a consensus on the optimal sans font for reading web pages?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Upgrading to 44 made Firefox switch between not loading pages/loading pages randomly on boot and making Flash really crash-happy. Anyone else experienced the same and found a permanent solution?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mike12345 posted:

Talking about fonts, is there a consensus on the optimal sans font for reading web pages?

I really like Corbel sometimes. Doesn't work for every site though.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

mike12345 posted:

I get a weird kind of flickering now watching embedded videos, youtube & non youtube. Is my gpu acting up? I don't know what's going on. (using 64 bit ff)

I was using 44 beta, so I switched back to 43 stable and it disappeared. Now it upgraded to 44 & the flickering is back. Disabling hardware accleration has no effect, it's really annoying.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Browser stopped displaying images from http sources if site is https. Some sites can't be used without https so I see tons of dead images in pages. Browser had a feature (some kind of shield icon in address bar) to fix the issue but the devs removed it apparently.

Is there some addon or setting to fix the problem? Security is not a concern, I just want the sites to work like usual. They work with Chrome and other browsers. Thanks in advance!

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Ihmemies posted:

Browser stopped displaying images from http sources if site is https. Some sites can't be used without https so I see tons of dead images in pages. Browser had a feature (some kind of shield icon in address bar) to fix the issue but the devs removed it apparently.

Is there some addon or setting to fix the problem? Security is not a concern, I just want the sites to work like usual. They work with Chrome and other browsers. Thanks in advance!

Security is always a concern! But it's still there for me on 44

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else been experiencing a lot of hangs and crashes with 45b1 the last day or so? Flash has been crashing virtually every time it loads, and every so often Firefox stops loading pages and throws a stackhash_0a9e error when it closes, leaving behind processes running. I had to move back to the release channel because not even safe mode was helping.

Edit: gently caress, nevermind, it's happening with 44 now too.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 29, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Check about :config for the value of security.mixed_content.block_display_content

Bieeardo posted:

Has anyone else been experiencing a lot of hangs and crashes with 45b1 the last day or so? Flash has been crashing virtually every time it loads, and every so often Firefox stops loading pages and throws a stackhash_0a9e error when it closes, leaving behind processes running. I had to move back to the release channel because not even safe mode was helping.

Edit: gently caress, nevermind, it's happening with 44 now too.

What flash version are you using? I've had a lot of flash-related issues lately with 20.0.0.286 (the latest). It might be worth considering a test downgrade to Flash 18 ESR: https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_18_plugin.exe to see if that helps.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That's a good question. I'm usually prompt with updates, so it's probably the most recent version. I'll check that out when I get a chance tomorrow; I've been running memtest86 and a bootable virus scanner today, just to make sure nothing really bad is afoot.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Firefox suddenly stopped remembering my tabs from a previous session. Instead it opens the default Firefox homepage. I can restore the previous window through history and all the settings seem to be correct: remember tabs, don't delete history when closing the browser. I'm also using the latest version (44.0). This is very annoying since I usually have 10+ tabs open at all times as a reading list of sorts and a couple of pinned tabs. Anyone have any ideas?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Flash was up to date, so I uninstalled that. Still crashing on launch.

I've since tested with disused and new profiles, and they work, so it looks like an issue with the old profile I've had kicking around forever. I wouldn't be surprised if something fell over when I installed the Youtube Center script the other day.

Thanks for the suggestions here and the SALR thread, astral. You've been a huge help.

Edit: Apparently this is a going, if mild, concern: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1243765

A helpful person at Mozilla support pointed that bug out to me, and suggested I try installing a fresh 64-bit version of the client. I did so, and it seems to be working fine even after opening and closing the browser a handful of times. So, fingers crossed.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 30, 2016

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Havana Affair posted:

Firefox suddenly stopped remembering my tabs from a previous session. Instead it opens the default Firefox homepage. I can restore the previous window through history and all the settings seem to be correct: remember tabs, don't delete history when closing the browser. I'm also using the latest version (44.0). This is very annoying since I usually have 10+ tabs open at all times as a reading list of sorts and a couple of pinned tabs. Anyone have any ideas?

If the settings are correct (the important one is the "When Firefox starts" in the general tab) the only time this happens for me is if I accidentally have multiple Firefox windows open and close the window I care about before a debug console or other window/dialog. I actually keep the setting on that warns me if I'm about to close multiple tabs to stop me from making this mistake - if I ever see the warning, it means I've screwed up and I can click Cancel.

Bieeardo posted:

Flash was up to date, so I uninstalled that. Still crashing on launch.

I've since tested with disused and new profiles, and they work, so it looks like an issue with the old profile I've had kicking around forever. I wouldn't be surprised if something fell over when I installed the Youtube Center script the other day.

Thanks for the suggestions here and the SALR thread, astral. You've been a huge help.

You're welcome! Glad you were able to get it working.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

astral posted:

If the settings are correct (the important one is the "When Firefox starts" in the general tab) the only time this happens for me is if I accidentally have multiple Firefox windows open and close the window I care about before a debug console or other window/dialog. I actually keep the setting on that warns me if I'm about to close multiple tabs to stop me from making this mistake - if I ever see the warning, it means I've screwed up and I can click Cancel.

Thanks! After a reboot I got the "this is embarassing..." screen and everything seems to be working fine now. :iiam:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Anyone have any ideas on why Vines (and only Vines) won't play on firefox? Every other type of video and media works fine, but on all my FF installs (all my home computers, my work computer), Vine just sits there with the little loading circle in the middle forever. If I open the same link in any other browser it works fine. These are the extensions I have installed:
Greasmonkey (though it's disabled because ZDR obsoleted the last userscript I used with it with twitter embedding)
NoScript (though on Vine I set it to Enable All This Page to no effect).
Snap Links Plus
SALastread
uBlock

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It's most likely NoScript, try disabling it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure the proper way to watch vines is on your phone, curled up on a bed or couch, and some form of intoxicated.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Alereon posted:

It's most likely NoScript, try disabling it.

Isn't NoScript objectively bad these days? It's certainly not the best option for script management now that uMatrix is a thing.

v v v Origin. uBlock Origin. Regular uBlock has pretty much been left to wither while its maintainer tries to make money off of iOS content blockers.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 2, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Isn't NoScript objectively bad these days? It's certainly not the best option for script management now that uMatrix is a thing.
I don't know if I'd call it "objectively bad", but I'd recommend uBlock for most users. For people who do want additional blocking control at a cost of breaking more stuff than uBlock alone, uMatrix is a better option than NoScript.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Alereon posted:

I don't know if I'd call it "objectively bad", but I'd recommend uBlock for most users. For people who do want additional blocking control at a cost of breaking more stuff than uBlock alone, uMatrix is a better option than NoScript.

I use uMatrix on my desktop where I do more mission-critical things that necessitate keeping things locked down, but it's way too much of a pita to janitor on all of my devices.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
NoScript is definitely getting more fiddly as more and more of the web moves to CDNs and other systems that aren't just whitelisting the main site that you are viewing. But for anyone that does 95% of their browsing on the same websites all the time it still has a way lower initial barrier to entry than umatrix.

Anyways I have zero issues with noscript and vine after whitelisting the TLD. Personally I'd look at the video / html5 video part of firefox rather than the javascript part for that issue.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

HTML5 and Web apps mean that huge amounts of things depend on JavaScript, and with Google and JQuery and other things providing essentially external design and function libraries, third-party scripting and stylesheets are not something you can block and expect a functional... well, Web. If you can't be judicious with uMatrix I don't think I could recommend NoScript to you either.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sir Unimaginative posted:

a functional... well, Web
highly overrated i m h o

Noscript has a far easier UI for trial-and-error discovery of what bits a site needs to operate. The default behavior of blacklisting everything isn't great for anyone who wants things to just work rather than having to click stuff every time they look at a new site. But making it work is as easy as temp allowing all if you have no patience. I really don't feel like delving into umatrix if that's a thing the programmer of ublock considers for advanced users only.

What I'm saying is works for me. But I've been using 2 browsers for years just to avoid flash and other "rich web" bullshit for years and years now so I'm just an internet luddite.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I promise that it's not noscript causing the issue anyway. I had everything allowed on Vine, and even just disabled the extension to test with no joy. I'm guessing it's some dumb html5 thing in about:config. I'll have to trial and error it I guess.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Well, the most recent update (which hadn't prompted me to install for some reason) fixed my vine issue for no reason I can discern.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The forums recently changed over to default HTTPS, and some userscripts have broken as a result. If a Firefox userscript you've been using stops working, consider poking around and seeing if changing http://forums.somethingawful.com/ to https://forums.somethingawful.com/ in it makes it work again

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is anyone else using FindBar tweak on Firefox 46 Developer Edition with e10s on? Search as you Type isn't working for me.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/02/04/update-on-2016-firefox-release-schedule/
Firefox is changing from a 6-week fixed release schedule to a 6-8 week variable release schedule, where releases come every 5-8 weeks.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Maybe now they won't have to do hotfix releases within days of the major release as often anymore.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Geemer posted:

Maybe now they won't have to do hotfix releases within days of the major release as often anymore.

I really, really doubt that there will be much of an effect based on that. What does an extra week or two give you when you have the ability to leave something only on Beta/Alpha branches for as long as it takes to fix? Think about how long e10s has been around on alphas; it's clear that the processes allow you to keep from releasing stuff for as long as it takes to get it ready. People just don't bother to do that and land insufficiently-tested code that gets pushed to release.

About the only thing I think this will fix is compatibility updates for new OSes. If Microsoft releases a significant update to Windows, Mozilla can push the Firefox release dates around to align with that. Oh, and it'll fix the "everyone's on Christmas break" problem.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 7, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I switched from FF to Chrome in like 2013. I think I want to switch back because Chrome is just becoming a piece of un-user friendly poo poo. They lock down all the options and extensions can hardly do anything for you, not to mention the store to get extensions has almost no search ability and is 99% literal garbage if not outright adware.

My main question is what will happen in current FF if I have say, 1000-1500 tabs at once over 2 or 3 windows. I've finangled Chrome into doing *ok* with something like that mostly by using an extension that shuts down inactive tabs until you reclick them but it still ends up using 95%+ of my 7gb of ram until I get a crash every couple hours. Will it handle it better?

Also any way to import saved usernames/password stuff from Chrome?

And also also is there anything comparable to the built in Chrome dev tools? Most of it is above my head but I find myself diddling with it quite frequently, either out of fun curiosity, or to get around the aforementioned options lock-downs and get right to the meat of it to be able to download a (badly, I'm too dumb to figure out the kinds of videos that send a bunch of little bits scrambled up that I can't remember the name for right now) protected video for example.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 13, 2016

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I do ~500 tabs across two windows in FF, and I can't even imagine trying to get that to work in Chrome. When FF starts up it doesn't load tabs until you open them, though I'm not sure if Chrome still opens every tab or not. I've got a similar add-on that suspends inactive tabs.

When I first open firefox (two gmail tabs, SA bookmarks, feedly tab, plus whatever random tab I had open last) it uses 700MB-1GB of RAM. If I do heavy browsing, i.e. opening and closing a lot of tabs or watching a lot of youtube, Firefox will keep climbing in memory usage and eventually once it hits around 2.5GB or so it'll start to get noticeably choppier. Once it gets into that state it won't recover and I find myself restarting Firefox (actual crashes are very rare after switching to 64bit Firefox) at least every other week, more if I push it hard.

Firefox still does everything in one process, but e10s (multiple processes) is coming to the release branch "soon" and you can get a development version that should be mostly stable. That, plus a few other tweaks you should be very comfortable doing as a power user, should address a lot of the choppiness I see with my heavy usage. You've got more tabs but I believe Firefox should still be able to handle it.

Firefox will be much, much better at managing those tabs though. I use tab groups but you might look into tree style tabs.

For dev tools you'll probably want Firebug, I don't have a high opinion of Firefox's built in tools. There are addons that have no trouble with DASH videos, at least from the major video sites.

I'm not aware of any tools to import Chrome passwords to Firefox but I think it can still be done if you're comfortable mucking around with an exported CSV file. I don't know if that still works though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Desuwa posted:

I do ~500 tabs across two windows in FF

you know you can reopen tabs after you close them right? theyre called urls

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

buttcoinbrony posted:

you know you can reopen tabs after you close them right? theyre called urls

Hey now, URLs are hard to remember.
It's not there's an option to make bookmarks or something.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

drunken officeparty posted:

My main question is what will happen in current FF if I have say, 1000-1500 tabs at once over 2 or 3 windows. I've finangled Chrome into doing *ok* with something like that mostly by using an extension that shuts down inactive tabs until you reclick them but it still ends up using 95%+ of my 7gb of ram until I get a crash every couple hours. Will it handle it better?

You can always run a several Firefox processes at the same time and reduce the load on single process. If you want to go extreme you can even create separate themed FF installs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm not 100% sure but I would guess that Chrome is loading links I click in new tabs before I switch to the tab so it will be ready for me. Which normally would be fine, but when I get to the state of a bunch of tabs it fucks with things. Notably that becomes a problem with videos and stuff that will autoplay which become lost in the wild tundra of the (unscrolling, if you have more than ~30 you can't get to the end without any extensions) tab bar. But then my suspender will kick in after 5 minutes and suspend it, which would also normally be fine except the multi-processing of Chrome is loving useless now because everything becomes grouped up under this unofficial, unoptimized extension into one process that while it takes less RAM than not having it it still will get overcooked after a point. And OH loving YEAH the extension to find a tab in a group of 30 because Chrome won't let you scroll the tab bar? Suspending fucks with that too because it turns all urls into chrome://randombullshit so good luck being able to search for a url you fucker

I mean this is all secondary to my main complaints really. I normally never go above 50 except for once a month I will get to 1000-1500 for a week before getting pissed off and just bookmarking everything into a folder and hitting the big red abort button. But now good luck trying to search the bookmarks because Hey I'm Chrome and will tell you the url (see above) and that's it. No date opened, views, anything. Same thing with History. It's like they are trying to child proof everything. Like there's no way to mess with the right click menu either. gently caress off are you telling me I can't see a simple image properties anymore google

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I mean, it's pretty much optimised for the 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of users who don't expect good performance with 1000+ tabs open, I guess.

You don't have a use-case for that many tabs; stop convincing yourself you do and do something sane instead, and the problem will vanish.