Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

GTI Autobahn gets leather. It's pretty nice.

GTI Premium gets leather. The only way to not have leather is the base model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

fyodor posted:

Please post your recommendations for a sun screen that isn't bullshit. Thanks in advance.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fyodor posted:

Please post your recommendations for a sun screen that isn't bullshit. Thanks in advance.

I just bought whatever was at O'Reillys. It's the kind that's 2 pieces with a springy wire frame and they fold up into a small circle.

Handled South Texas parking lots well enough, and hasn't started to flake or fall apart yet, after a bit over 1 year.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I really like the blue color of the RS, but I'd likely get a grey one if I was dumb enough to actually order one.

As far as daily driving goes, I don't have any real problem daily driving the Focus ST every day with a 52 mile one-way rush hour commute, and from what I've read the RS wouldn't be any worse, the reviews say that it's a very nice daily driver. Of course if the Recaro's don't fit you, then yea, it might suck.

My biggest issue with it would be the 19" wheels that will probably make that rubber ridiculously expensive.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fyodor posted:

Make one out of Reflectix or order one made for your car?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was honestly thinking someone may have invented something better than foil over cardboard panels by the year 2016.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well if you know of something that works better at reflecting the sun than foil you should patent that poo poo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was thinking foil over memory foam because everybody is using memory foam in their products.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The focus RS blue is an amazing color

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

fyodor posted:

I was thinking foil over memory foam because everybody is using memory foam in their products.

Mine are a flat gray synthetic fabric. No foil here. Foil probably does better but these fit in the seat back pocket when folded.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

AvesPKS posted:

Test drove a V6 Camaro recently. The rear sight lines are bad. When I mentioned this to the sales manager he said when he takes one out, he just makes sure he's ahead of everybody. Winning strategy.

Yeah, it's hard to see out of. New one has Blind spot sensors and backup cameras. I think it will be OK. But no doubt, the greenhouse is like a visor.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

AvesPKS posted:

Test drove a V6 Camaro recently. The rear sight lines are bad. When I mentioned this to the sales manager he said when he takes one out, he just makes sure he's ahead of everybody. Winning strategy.

Firsta rule of Italian driving: What'sa behind me is not important.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Just about every sports coupe now has terrible rear visibly due to increased roll over requirements from IIHS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Riven posted:

GTI Premium gets leather. The only way to not have leather is the base model.

Previous generations had "leatherette" which is complete bullshit. It's the main reason I bought a TDI Golf instead of the Sportwagen.

Also, 19" tires aren't really that expensive, since there are so many vehicles with them now. I think my 235/35/19 DWS were under 200 per tire.

Ya, just looked, there are tires from 150 on up. The DWS is only 189.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 27, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
And here I purposely bought a base model for the cloth seats.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

And here I purposely bought a base model for the cloth seats.

As an Arizona person, I get pissed off when they won't let me get cloth seats in the higher trim levels. The reason I have a ST2 package Focus is because of that bullshit. Leather seats in the Arizona summer are brutal.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
$189 a tire plus shipping, tax, mount, and balance added on is expensive. I got kumho le's for $320 shipped to my house and $40 for install. 225/40-18

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Locator posted:

As an Arizona person, I get pissed off when they won't let me get cloth seats in the higher trim levels. The reason I have a ST2 package Focus is because of that bullshit. Leather seats in the Arizona summer are brutal.

ST2 is partial leather is it not? :smug:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

fyodor posted:

ST2 is partial leather is it not? :smug:

It is, but the important bits (butt and back) are all cloth. Only the bolsters and head rest are leather.

If there was an option that got the Recaro's in all cloth, I'd have checked that loving box.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've had leather in Florida and it's not too bad if you mitigate the heat the best you can. High quality tint, a sun shield and vent visors are a must down here, it's the only way to keep the car at reasonable temps if it's sitting in the sun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

leica posted:

I've had leather in Florida

I think we've all gone through that "experimentation" phase in our lives. No big deal.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

fyodor posted:

I think we've all gone through that "experimentation" phase in our lives. No big deal.

:wink:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Heated all cloth with serious bolsters is the best seat type.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I ordered the RS in black because the blue would just get me pulled over a bunch. I also don't like it as much as the blue they used to announce the car which Ford keeps under wraps only for concepts. I was kind of annoyed at being limited to 4 colors for the car but whatever.

Edit: Got the build date for my RS its Feb 4th and I am hype as gently caress!!!!!!!

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 28, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Christobevii3 posted:

$189 a tire plus shipping, tax, mount, and balance added on is expensive. I got kumho le's for $320 shipped to my house and $40 for install. 225/40-18

Is this really an issue after spending 40k on a car?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

KidDynamite posted:

I ordered the RS in black because the blue would just get me pulled over a bunch. I also don't like it as much as the blue they used to announce the car which Ford keeps under wraps only for concepts. I was kind of annoyed at being limited to 4 colors for the car but whatever.

Edit: Got the build date for my RS its Feb 4th and I am hype as gently caress!!!!!!!

Congrats! Excited to see it.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

Is this really an issue after spending 40k on a car?

You obviously don't buy cars based on tire and insurance cost like me. #whitetrashthings

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Have there been many issues with excessive carbon build up on intake valves due to the direct injection on the ST EcoBoost motors? Have any owners here with older/higher mileage STs run into any issues with this so far - or not? I'm just a little paranoid as it's my first DI car and I also recall endless N54 powered BMWs getting the walnut shell blast treatment at work years ago even though that was most likely due to pokey driving habits by owners who bought their car to show off their social status (short trips/low RPMs). For now I figure I should be alright with my typical day-to-day driving plus a good Italian tune-up consisting of 4k+ RPM for 20-30min on the highway prior to changing the oil. I know catch cans and certain oils are also a possible remedy but from what I've heard so far I don't think either would be a necessity at this point (stock '16 Fiesta ST with 5,000 miles).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Carbon buildup on the backs of the intake valves are going to be a problem in any DI car. There is no raw fuel flowing over them so they don't get cleaned.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Carbon buildup on the backs of the intake valves are going to be a problem in any DI car. There is no raw fuel flowing over them so they don't get cleaned.

Yup, exactly what I was going to say. Good argument for water injection!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Does seafoam cean that?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
This is the reason Europe has multiport injection. Shame the EPA won't let them use it here.

Little over 4000 miles on the R and it hasn't used any oil that I can tell. Still only a matter of time until my shenanigans in the snow get me in trouble. We're supposed to get 1-2 feet Sunday night. Monday is going to be a nightmare.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

Does seafoam cean that?

It might if you use it regularly, but it didn't make a loving dent in the super-baked deposits on my MS3 at ~100k miles.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
What's the AI consensus on SeaFoam and the like? Are we just dumping a buncha silly dreams and nonsense into our gas tanks?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

scuz posted:

What's the AI consensus on SeaFoam and the like? Are we just dumping a buncha silly dreams and nonsense into our gas tanks?

AI's consensus on SeaFoam is "it works"! I personally have gotten comments from mechanics on the cleanliness of my internals after using SeaFoam, although if that's because my cars get regular Italian tuneups, or because of SeaFoam usage, I don't know.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It might if you use it regularly, but it didn't make a loving dent in the super-baked deposits on my MS3 at ~100k miles.

Did you dump it into the tank? I did this and blew enormous clouds through the neighborhood.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

Did you dump it into the tank? I did this and blew enormous clouds through the neighborhood.
Into the brake booster!?! I don't know anything about cars, please explain why brake booster :hb:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

scuz posted:

Into the brake booster!?! I don't know anything about cars, please explain why brake booster :hb:

You want to feed it in through a vacuum line.

I did it to my car and didn't get any smoke or anything. boroscope in through a spark plug hole didn't show any difference either.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

This is the reason Europe has multiport injection. Shame the EPA won't let them use it here.

Little over 4000 miles on the R and it hasn't used any oil that I can tell. Still only a matter of time until my shenanigans in the snow get me in trouble. We're supposed to get 1-2 feet Sunday night. Monday is going to be a nightmare.

What? I'm pretty sure there's nothing about the US banning them. i think they're on some new cars now, to help wash out the collected crap in the manifold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

Removed intake manifold and used Seafoam Deep Creep, among other things, directly on the valves. That poo poo was on there hard.