Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Not having to micromanage each planet and instead having sectors as vassals seems brilliant, the pop system also seems quite intriguing. The more I hear about Stellaris the better it sounds, I can hardly wait for it and HOI4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rakthar posted:

Ah cool throwing in your lot with Larry. Yeah videogames that change are real scary, I wish these developers would stop developing their game. Reverting to a previous patchlevel? Total bullshit.

Larry Was Right

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Baronjutter posted:

I understood there was going to be some sort of CK2 style system to limit your direct micro over your empire and I'm liking it more and more the more they talk about it. I think this is a very good idea to not only balance micro-management but also "infinite city(colony) sprawl" found in just about every 4X. I do hope though it isn't just a hard limit through the game of "you can only ever directly manage 5 planets" and maybe something you can push a little if you so choose, at some sort of cost. Perhaps I love micro and want to play a very centrally planned empire so I can put points into something that lets me micro 12 planets, while someone else decides to try to make his colonies happier by putting everyone outside his home system in a sector, plus he hates micro managing planets.

The way they talk about it makes it sound a lot like CK2's demense limit, which is a good mechanic - makes me feel a bit more comfortable about the planetary tile system, though we'll see.

Baronjutter posted:

The lack of any sort of espionage doesn't sound great, I hope there's still at least HoI style "intel" funding. I usually hate spying in 4X games, it's either something useless, or you need to micro manage not only your attack but defense or suddenly all your tech is being stolen and key facilities exploding. If they can make it fit and be fun could be a cool DLC.

lol

(I am perfectly fine with there being no spying system.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Not quite as silly as I might have said it. Was trying to say that espionage is an important thing, it's hard to ignore in games like these, but the implementation of espionage in most 4X has generally been really bad.

Sometimes it's just sliders you can ignore and stuff happens based on some policies. I found the spy system in the original master of orion fine. Set a slider, pick if you're wanting to steal tech, sabotage facilities, or simply build up your intel network, then forget about it.

Moo2's was terrible in that you had to build spy units then drag and drop them on empires. You also had to do the same for spy defense. Spies on both sides would frequently die so you were constantly having to top-up your supply of spies. Forget to top up your defensive spies because you're busy fighting 3 wars and micro-managing 50 planets? Oops there goes your tech.

Other 4x games didn't really do much else. It's all either spy units you have to micro-manage for attack and defense, or just some sort of budget slider. But just not having any espionage at all (although better than a terrible system) is a very slight let down. I'd be happy with a MOO style slider system, specially with cool espionage related events that give you cool choices to make.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'm happy with spies being something that happen via event, same as small-scale stuff like commando raids.

"We have an opportunity to use one of our moles in the Spanish Navy League to gain blueprints for their new destroyer!"

Go ahead (-10 resource, 50% chance of gaining blueprint)
No way (+2 relations with Spain)

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
A sweating fungus boy wearing a trenchcoat with glasses hanging out outside the UN

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The sector stuff is great news and pretty much eliminates my worries about planet management.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

When you colonize you pick a specific pop to use as the base. This lets you of course keep your colonies "pure" and spread certain ideologies. I wonder on the flip side if there will be mechanics to use colonies to also get rid of groups you don't like. Maybe you really want to create a brutal empire based on militaristic jingo and racism, but a minority of your population are pacifist xenophiles so you build a colony ship, select the pop you don't like, and then add certain carrots and sticks (mostly sticks) to get them off your important homeworld and off to some out of the way colony. I'd love to see forced migration as a way to make your homeworld/core systems more "pure", but of course at the cost of upsetting the people forced to move away and really setting your self up for future independence movements. I wonder what tools we'll have to encourage/discourage certain ideologies and groups.
The trick is to fill up backwater planets with a variety of differently aligned minorities, so they'll never agree about the goals of their independence movement.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Distant Worlds have a horrid spy system based on characters and drop-down menus. Once they complete a ~3 month mission (takes what, 10 minutes IRL? If that) they automatically go back on "defensive" mode, and you have to select the spy, click cancel mission, select the drop down menu to target an empire, another drop down menu to select the mission type and then click "go".
Repeat for every agent. And ah, you don't actually steal tech whole-cloth either, just Research Point "parts" of a tech. Easy techs you can get in one try, but the later techs require ~5 successful missions :suicide:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
SMAC had really good espionage in the Probe Teams that allowed you to steal techs and units and sabotage cities by releasing nerve toxins into the childrens' creches and then blame it on another faction :unsmigghh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oberleutnant posted:

SMAC had really good espionage in the Probe Teams that allowed you to steal techs and units and sabotage cities by releasing nerve toxins into the childrens' creches and then blame it on another faction :unsmigghh:

You still have physical units you had to move around and micro-manage and station spies in cities to defend against them, or build a wall of units to stop them and attack them like any other unit. I love smac and I liked the actions you could do via probe teams, but treating them as any other military unit on the map wasn't so great.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah the idea behind it is to reduce micromanagement by building a hierarchy. You tell your generals what to do, and they manage the details. And you get a (presumably large) planning bonus for not trying to micromanage each individual division. It sounds like a win/win to me.

I'm very slowly reading through the Stellaris article between interruptions at work but I did quickly want to touch on this, because from what I can tell so far it seems the battle planner is the exact opposite. Its a tool that sorta lets you tell your generals what to aim for and they they'll try to do it by marching straight for the objective. You still need to intervene when you see your units not performing well, or are about to get themselves surrounded or are marching right past a flanking enemy.

From the looks of it your troops will happily march into oblivion if you don't step in and stop them.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 28, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oberleutnant posted:

Probe teams were ridiculous in SMAC. Get a unit to an enemy city ONCE in the entire game, and then you can see what that entire enemy civ is building forever, what they have stationed in their cities, everything.

The possibilities were nice, but some of the options were pretty game-breaking.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm very slowly reading through the Stellaris article between interruptions at work but I did quickly want to touch on this, because from what I can tell so far it seems the battle planner is the exact opposite. Its a tool that sorta lets you tell your generals what to aim for and they they'll try to do it by marching straight for the objective. You still need to intervene when you see your units not performing well, or are about to get themselves surrounded or are marching right past a flanking enemy.

From the looks of it your troops will happily march into oblivion if you don't step in and stop them.

That's not the opposite of what I was saying at all? I guess I wasn't real clear in my post. I'm not saying there's a big AI system that will react to odd things happening and adjust, I'm saying that the planning bonus encourages the player to make better plans and not micromanage individual divisions unless they need to.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Gort posted:

The possibilities were nice, but some of the options were pretty game-breaking.

SMAC.txt

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's not the opposite of what I was saying at all? I guess I wasn't real clear in my post. I'm not saying there's a big AI system that will react to odd things happening and adjust, I'm saying that the planning bonus encourages the player to make better plans and not micromanage individual divisions unless they need to.

I'm sure the planning bonuses will help, but on the flip side any opponent you face that's also been using the planning bonuses will cancel each other out. My main concern is the haphazard manner in which it seems to utilize units that are assign to the group, even if you're just sending people to defend something you'll still need to look in on them to make sure the AI hasn't done something like station your tanks in a hilly forest or urban area while your non-Mot/Mec infantry have their asses hanging out in an open field next door. And when attacking you're probably still going to need to intervene often to make sure you don't get things like units marching past enemies just outside of the scope of their orders, fruitlessly attacking strongpoints, falling victim to flanking or rear attacks. If you just need to keep up the momentum of an offense while you look in on a spearhead or flank then I'm sure the system will work fine, but if you want to ensure things are being used in the most effective way possible you're probably going to need a more hands-on approach. It would be nice if the AI did take things like take unit composition and the upcoming terrain into account and tried using them in the best way possible but I don't think it does that. At least, it's not been confirmed.

Again, I don't mind having to order around my units and I don't think it's unreasonable to have to pay attention to a war in a game that's all about war but I also don't want to have to keep babysitting the AI when I could just do it myself or have to keep coming back to find armies have wandered off somewhere I didn't want them. I don't think it'll be this wonderful fire-and-forget thing where the AI just fights your battles for you.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:raise:

Elisabeth, huh?

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 29, 2016

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

:eyebrow:

Elisabeth, huh?

The first option should clearly be Johan.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I'm sure the planning bonuses will help, but on the flip side any opponent you face that's also been using the planning bonuses will cancel each other out. My main concern is the haphazard manner in which it seems to utilize units that are assign to the group, even if you're just sending people to defend something you'll still need to look in on them to make sure the AI hasn't done something like station your tanks in a hilly forest or urban area while your non-Mot/Mec infantry have their asses hanging out in an open field next door. And when attacking you're probably still going to need to intervene often to make sure you don't get things like units marching past enemies just outside of the scope of their orders, fruitlessly attacking strongpoints, falling victim to flanking or rear attacks. If you just need to keep up the momentum of an offense while you look in on a spearhead or flank then I'm sure the system will work fine, but if you want to ensure things are being used in the most effective way possible you're probably going to need a more hands-on approach. It would be nice if the AI did take things like take unit composition and the upcoming terrain into account and tried using them in the best way possible but I don't think it does that. At least, it's not been confirmed.

Again, I don't mind having to order around my units and I don't think it's unreasonable to have to pay attention to a war in a game that's all about war but I also don't want to have to keep babysitting the AI when I could just do it myself or have to keep coming back to find armies have wandered off somewhere I didn't want them. I don't think it'll be this wonderful fire-and-forget thing where the AI just fights your battles for you.
I dont mind micromanaging the whole Eastern Front, the thing that was a total pain in the rear end, and thing that is stopping me from playing HoI3 right now, is setting the OoB and assigning leaders. It looks like the new template mechanics means that If I add a unit on to a template with experience, my units the in the field will automatically upgrade, instead of me needing to attach new brigades to existing divisions if I decide I want to upgrade them later. I'll forgo whatever the planning bonus is if I can micro my front to pull poo poo like below without needing to micro upgrades/addons and unit leaders.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pimpmust posted:

Distant Worlds have a horrid spy system based on characters and drop-down menus. Once they complete a ~3 month mission (takes what, 10 minutes IRL? If that) they automatically go back on "defensive" mode, and you have to select the spy, click cancel mission, select the drop down menu to target an empire, another drop down menu to select the mission type and then click "go".
Repeat for every agent. And ah, you don't actually steal tech whole-cloth either, just Research Point "parts" of a tech. Easy techs you can get in one try, but the later techs require ~5 successful missions :suicide:

The other espionage stuff is merely unwieldy, and having options like "destroy this particular base" or whatever is actually cool and can be useful, but tech espionage completely breaks the game and is in no way fun. I almost always refrain from using it and I wish it could be turned off entirely with a simple option when setting up.

e; This is especially galling because you can turn off tech trading with a click. So you can have a game where your best friends for 150 Space Years can't send a delegation of trained experts with diplomatic and linguistic liaisons to help you learn something, but you can send literally one guy into another empire for three months and have him return with the plans for something that rips space a new rear end in a top hat.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 29, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I would really like to see more information on how sectors work. I'm hoping they're a little more complex then just worlds you can't directly build on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

NewMars posted:

I would really like to see more information on how sectors work. I'm hoping they're a little more complex then just worlds you can't directly build on.

They're vassals. I assume they'll be using the Liberty Desire mechanics from EU4 to simulate trying to keep them happy.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gort posted:

They're vassals. I assume they'll be using the Liberty Desire mechanics from EU4 to simulate trying to keep them happy.

Step 1: Nerve Stapling
Step 2: Profit

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gort posted:

Holy Terra is the glorious home of humanity and the only thing that matters. I will gladly burn the Squat sectors to the ground in the name of profit.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Today's HOI4 DD is now up, it focuses on glorious Nippon and talks about some of their unique issues.

Nothing too earth shattering really and they don't talk about how accurately they've modeled their cities turning to ash when I keep dropping atom bombs on them...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'm still not sure if strategic bombing and/or naval blockade can make a nation surrender without ground assault.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Gort posted:

I'm still not sure if strategic bombing and/or naval blockade can make a nation surrender without ground assault.

Working as intended.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Do you mean in the game or in real life?

I don't think I've ever ended an HOI game with peace before, the war just drags on forever even when the bulk of your opponents have no territory left; the Germans just love withdrawing to the island of Bornholm and forcing you to go after them.

The way surrender is supposed to work (in HOI3) is that once a country's national unity gets below the surrender progress for their state they will capitulate. The only way to increase the surrender progress is to occupy their territory and major cities so in theory - unless you bombed and staved them long enough that their national unity was 0% - then you would need to take at least 1 city.

The peace process is different this time around though so who knows how it will play out.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I hope the new peace mechanics have something against Tannu Tuva fighting on bravely after the Soviet Union fell, forcing you to treck all the way through Siberia to finally end the war. Same with the Axis and Manchuko or something.

It also seems that you can't create new countries from occupied territory, you can only do so in a peace treaty. Which is a bit strange, given how the postwar political landscape in Europe was created.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Do you mean in the game or in real life?

I think Japan would have surrendered without the two atomic bombings. The incendiary bombings of their cities, the naval blockade, and the fact they had nothing left to fight back with would've been enough.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Gort posted:

I think Japan would have surrendered without the two atomic bombings. The incendiary bombings of their cities, the naval blockade, and the fact they had nothing left to fight back with would've been enough.

You forgot the most important factor: The Soviets declared war and tore up Manchuria.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Do we know if China is getting a national focus tree etc too? Is it the eventual goal for every country to get one?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

Do we know if China is getting a national focus tree etc too? Is it the eventual goal for every country to get one?

Can't wait for the Tibet and Afghanistan National Focuses DLC.

Also a full Purple Phoenix-style DLC called "Zog Phoenix".

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Greece should have a focus tree where every option winds up to Restore Byzantium.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Uh guys, quit distracting the devs from their rightious task of creating the focus tree for Serbia - a tree that will be as long and detailed as all the other major powers at the time combined.

It will be Johan's magnum opus.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Uh guys, quit distracting the devs from their rightious task of creating the focus tree for Serbia - a tree that will be as long and detailed as all the other major powers at the time combined.

It will be Johan's magnum opus.

Don't you mean Bulgaria? As we all know a Bulgarian nation receives many benefits.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Finally Sweden/Nordiska ImperietUnionen can get the attention it deserves thanks to the Focus Tree mechanic

(Every path leads to burning down Denmark and neck deep in russians)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Koramei posted:

China won't have a special one in release. Focus trees are certainly a good thing to add in DLCs though!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Darkrenown posted:

China won't have a special one in release. Focus trees are certainly a good thing to add in DLCs though!

Confirmed Paradox is withholding features to sell later as DLC. Someone get the pitchforks and torches out.

Just kidding - we can't throw our money at you guys fast enough. Just release the game already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

I hope you consider completely balkanizing China, in response to China's repeated aggression against its neighbors in the present day. Every Chinese state should of course be named something like "Independent [Province]". It is your duty as citizens of the world's only moral superpower.