Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't know what the exchange rate is for dreams, but I figured any cost savings afforded by screwing over your employees were offset by the inherent inefficiencies associated with running four studios in three companies.
I still don't understand why they opened four studios.

I don't mean that rhetorically, I actually mean, why the gently caress did they open four studios thousands of miles (and in one case a whole ocean) apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
is there a celebratory thread somewhere for people who finally got their money out of SC?

I just sold an account I paid $140 for to a redditor for $200. phew.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

trucutru posted:

The entry-level packages are 45 bucks and they come with a cheapo ship. A regular, non-crap (supposedly, they are pretty crap in-game) ship sells for 75-150 dollars. Entry-level spergwagons go for around $250 and the most expensive thing is 2.5k.

The thing is that we don't know the idiot-to-whale ratio for the game and the data is not fine-grained enough to figure it out. So lets just say that the avg shitizen spends 100 bucks. 600 new backers per day is definitely possible.

if there were 600 new backers a day, CIG wouldnt need to go on reddit and beg people to play Arena Commander

it's just a handful of whales

buying everything

on multiple accounts

i wish i was wrong

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

trucutru posted:

The entry-level packages are 45 bucks and they come with a cheapo ship. A regular, non-crap (supposedly, they are pretty crap in-game) ship sells for 75-150 dollars. Entry-level spergwagons go for around $250 and the most expensive thing is 2.5k.

The thing is that we don't know the idiot-to-whale ratio for the game and the data is not fine-grained enough to figure it out. So lets just say that the avg shitizen spends 100 bucks. 600 new backers per day is definitely possible.

How many of these ships are playable right now?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Human posted:

define playable

i mean, seriously, define it and you'll have done more design documentation than an entire company with 100 million dollars

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

A 2nd producer appears.

Kinda funny how they showed two producers in the week Derek Smart said their last producer who had shipped a game left.

Neither one of them is the same caliber as Jason, Alex or any of the others who have left.

And Randy is not a producer.

Heck, these guys were hired back in 2015.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

D_Smart posted:

e. Eric's not a "dev" and doesn't share the sort of credentials that Jason has. Look at his LinkedIn profile for more info

It says "Senior Producer", though. Like, how does that not make him a producer who's shipped a game?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Human posted:

Of the big ones? None (out of a dozen, lol).
Medium ones? Three (constellation, bomber, space truck)
Small ones? A bunch.

There is a diagram that show the incredible amount of progress they have made. Someone should post it again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Especially if a bunch of people get fired at once. Like the whole company.

I see no reason to think that Cloud Imperium Games won't pull a 38 Studios, especially given how they refuse to share anything about financials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOxMtlHRcE&list=LLiuVX2traAHMLPX_zTLWRsw&index=16

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

This is all extremely good and I'm very glad of it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Madcosby posted:

define playable

i mean, seriously, define it and you'll have done more design documentation than an entire company with 100 million dollars

lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Popular Human posted:

For real, though, how are they still pulling in 60-70k PER DAY in funding. Are those numbers fudged, or are people really still buying in to that degree three years in?

1. People are dumb
2. Whales gonna whale (see point 1)
3. There's still plenty of SC coverage in press that's uncritical / optimistic
4. People see the $100 million and assume that with that much money it's sure to be a success

and from pages back:
A number of years before he died, Ebert got bone cancer and had to have his jaw removed. GIS and you see the result. :(

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

trucutru posted:

Of the big ones? None (out of a dozen, lol).
Medium ones? Three (constellation, bomber, space truck)
Small ones? A bunch.

There is a diagram that show the incredible amount of progress they have made. Someone should post it again.

oh wow. WOW. I thought at least these guys were flying their ships around making pew-pew noises at each other waiting for the VERSE to OPEN UP for CONQUEST. Jesus, this really is something else, huh?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

what's with all the people posting spoilers? putting spoilers doesn't stop non-goons reading it does it? Otherwise you could You need a Platinum account to read this message lol

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Human posted:

oh wow. WOW. I thought at least these guys were flying their ships around making pew-pew noises at each other waiting for the VERSE to OPEN UP for CONQUEST. Jesus, this really is something else, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7z3Undbn0

here's a video showing what "playable" state means to Roberts

this is considered playable, and thus CIG has delivered on their promises. No more refunds. Game is out.

Welcome to the verse, commando

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Klyith posted:

2. Whales gonna whale (see point 1)

I guess that makes sense. I'd forgotten there were people out there who did things like spend thousands of dollars in free-to-play MMO's in order to have the biggest ship or the nicest house. The lure of being able to do that in a game that was advertised as the next-generation of open world space gaming must be pretty strong.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Klyith posted:

A number of years before he died, Ebert got bone cancer and had to have his jaw removed. GIS and you see the result. :(

Cripes, that sounds awful. Like...I get why dipshits on the internet go full retard, and wish crap like TotalBiscuit dying of the cancer he's got upon critics and visible people they disagree with, but hearing poo poo like this actually happen just...yea, snaps you back to reality.

I sincerely don't want :lesnick: to die of heart failure even now. Just yea, that's deffo where he's headed if he keeps his poo poo up at CIG.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MMD3 posted:

is there a celebratory thread somewhere for people who finally got their money out of SC?
You're in it, man. Congrats on profiting even in a down grey market.

:hfive:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Human posted:

Most of them are flying what looks like a space heat-sink with a windshield.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tnx5w5EwJw23lPYhHdlHs5g/htmlview

check how many "capital", "multi-crew", "or large" are flyable. (Bear in mind that the data comes from know liar company CIG).

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

I sincerely don't want :lesnick: to die of heart failure even now. Just yea, that's deffo where he's headed if he keeps his poo poo up at CIG.

For real, I feel bad for that guy. For someone as in love with Wing Commander as him to get to work directly under Roberts, it's got to be like a childhood dream come true. I imagine if the person who was behind that thing I loved when I was a teenager asked me to help him make a whole new generation of that thing, I'd swallow a metric ton of bullshit to grab that opportunity.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you base the numbers off of Frontier (who has a company of similar size but only one location) then the rough estimate is that they require $100K per day of income to keep the doors open.

Thanks. I think most folks underestimate the overhead required for employees.

I have to imagine that they are atypical, 80% of operational expenses are salaries.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

sebmojo posted:

what's with all the people posting spoilers? putting spoilers doesn't stop non-goons reading it does it? Otherwise you could You need a Platinum account to read this message lol

I like the non-plat members typing it out with spoiler tags just to gently caress with non-regs. They'll never know which ones are real or fake.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Found it!

Frolic in the glory of that chart!

BTW "in production" means "stop pestering us, you loving nerds".

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Madcosby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr7z3Undbn0
this is considered playable, and thus CIG has delivered on their promises. No more refunds. Game is out.

Welcome to the verse, commando

that's an interesting question: what is the absolute bare minimum product CIG would have to get off the ground and running in order to have technically fulfilled their original Kickstarter promises and shield themselves from repercussions? I don't think poo poo like Star Marine was part of the original pitch, so...basically something like a stripped-down version of Elite: Dangerous?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Human posted:

that's an interesting question: what is the absolute bare minimum product CIG would have to get off the ground and running in order to have technically fulfilled their original Kickstarter promises and shield themselves from repercussions? I don't think poo poo like Star Marine was part of the original pitch, so...basically something like a stripped-down version of Elite: Dangerous?

They have already delivered on the multiplayer front. So now they just have to produce the single player campaign.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Popular Human posted:

For real, I feel bad for that guy. For someone as in love with Wing Commander as him to get to work directly under Roberts, it's got to be like a childhood dream come true. I imagine if the person who was behind that thing I loved when I was a teenager asked me to help him make a whole new generation of that thing, I'd swallow a metric ton of bullshit to grab that opportunity.
You should never meet your heroes.

Especially if they're Chris Roberts.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

there's like 20 ships they still have to do, Ben doesn't want to commit on them being finished by the end of 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does he have experience releasing a game? I thought you said none of the producers left have shipped a product.

The guy who makes JPEGs can say he has "shipped a game".

That's not how that works.

A snr producer has a specific role that requires a specific skillset to qualify for that job position. That's why it's one of the most difficult positions to fill. Bar none.

Neither Eric Davis, nor Randy Vasquez will fill that role anywhere other than at CIG.

In fact, Randy is a technical designer (totally different role) and not a producer, let alone a snr producer

Ex:

Travis Day https://www.linkedin.com/in/travis-day-62bbb27

Alex Mayberry : https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-mayberry-166325

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Cinematics guy takes over overall production

o7

Yes. Pretty much.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/693181420001435648

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/693181649538912256

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/693181887439884288

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 29, 2016

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Happy Sisyphus posted:

yea but Frontier probably pays their employees does cig do that?

I bet CiG pays in Company Scrip so the employees are basicly owned by the company store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIfu2A0ezq0 just feels like it could easily apply to CiG for some reason.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

MMD3 posted:

I just sold an account I paid $140 for to a redditor for $200. phew.

Congratulations commando.
Sold a package I paid $80 for, to a reddit for $105.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tooterfish posted:

I still don't understand why they opened four studios.

I don't mean that rhetorically, I actually mean, why the gently caress did they open four studios thousands of miles (and in one case a whole ocean) apart?

It makes sense to a degree, but yeah they could have just had their Santa Monica office or just stuck to Austin and been just as well off.

Assuming they could hire/retain talent that are comparable to those in the UK/Germany.

Which assumes Chris Roberts & his management team aren't perpetually acting dumb.

Multiple offices across several countries isn't absurd nor unheard of, but CIG really haven't done much with them at all compared to other companies.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup, he did. I assumed that he wouldn't accuse a customer of something like that without being told to, because exposing your company to getting sued really is a way to get fired and he doesn't come off as the type of person who would do that.

I'm sure he's a nice guy but the CIG customer support staff twitter accounts all follow that Kevin Dent guy. Now I could see them chatting and following Dickwulf or any of the other crazy fans of the game, good sense to keep the whales sweet that have your bosses direct email address and might send you pizza, but Dent wasn't interested in the game, just trolling Derek with bollocks.

Customer support staff aren't immune to being taken in by all this too and that's not even considering their paycheck comes from it.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
Has anyone yet pointed out that this monstrosity would have a net rotational inertia unless the boxes are of different weights? I know, there are computers to compensate for gyroscopic precession when turning, and it's not at all that the people designing this hard sci-fi full of fidelity don't know high school physics.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

No, I'm not sure who that guy is. I always assumed he was serious because drat, some of them really are. And they are the ones worth parodying with meta-troll believer accounts.

---

I do occasionally gently troll people as a Star Citizen superfan. Like this guy who was playing Eve: Valkyrie in VR.

I had my sound off and was watching a show with my wife. But since he had his headset on, he couldn't engage in realtime chat anyway. But I think he heard that someone was texting him. Eventually he took his headset off and read my messages. He didn't seem very pleased.. (Image below left)

---

I was on another twitch stream last week (Captain Richard). He seemed like really nice guy and when I started texting he hailed me and said, "Hey, it's i still trust CIG - I've seen you a lot on Reverse the Verse! I'm honored you stopped by, man." or something to that affect. So I had no interest in trolling him at all since he seemed a good, earnest gent.

On the stream, he was spending like twenty minutes an hour trying to push this vending machine up two flights of stairs and get it standing upright in his room. He had some friends in game and of course, given the difficulties inherent in his goals, I was actually like in suspense. It was truly hilarious watching them trying to use teamwork to get the thing up the stairs-- jumping on it, rolling around it, trying to bump it up and get under it, getting multiple guys on one side hoping it would exert more force. All recognizing they basically fighting against the somewhat untransport friendly designs of the map and of course the limitations of the game.

It was- honestly- the most fun I've had watching a Star Citizen stream ever. I had no interest in trolling a sincere guy goofing around on a nutty missions like that. So I unironically was encouraging him -- watching and laughing as they tried EVERYTHING possible to make the machine stand upright. It truly was a hilarious video (its probably online somewhere) HERE and if memory serves as he neared the end he did something that caused it to crash, right at the last mile. (I may be getting that part a bit wrong...)

Anyway, so it was good stuff.

haha I think someone shared that bit about Oculus costing as much as a starliner here. That was funny.

And Captain Richard is generally a pretty cool dude. For a while he was in the org that I was in (I guess technically still am) and I chatted with him a bit. He hasn't been streaming all that long, IIRC.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
it's funny to me that ben lesnick won't shut up about wing commander while he is intimately involved in the production of its successor that will be all any reasonable person will play for the next 10-20 years.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AugmentedVision posted:

Has anyone yet pointed out that this monstrosity would have a net rotational inertia unless the boxes are of different weights? I know, there are computers to compensate for gyroscopic precession when turning, and it's not at all that the people designing this hard sci-fi full of fidelity don't know high school physics.

wouldn't olisar have one too? i forget if it has the one ring visible from the pad or multiple ones

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Unfunny Poster posted:

Multiple offices across several countries isn't absurd nor unheard of, but CIG really haven't done much with them at all compared to other companies.

The kicker is they didn't grow into the position organically, starting small, having successful releases, building a reputation, and eventually having multiple studios.

Instead, Chris got the money, and opened studios all over the world in a bid to appear like a big studio. Amazing amount of cash that could have gone to development basically was given to him to play "big time game producer and developer." Backers are waking up, and it'll be fun to see all these studios shut down one by one.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

wouldn't olisar have one too? i forget if it has the one ring visible from the pad or multiple ones

Olisar is the station, no? I mean IRL spaceships spin all the time, it's just that IRL spaceships (and space stations) mostly sit in orbit doing nothing. It's only a stupid design for something that's supposed to be steered on a regular basis.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

It makes sense to a degree, but yeah they could have just had their Santa Monica office or just stuck to Austin and been just as well off.

Assuming they could hire/retain talent that are comparable to those in the UK/Germany.

Which assumes Chris Roberts & his management team aren't perpetually acting dumb.

For a company producing their FIRST GAME it's ridiculous. You shouldn't be expanding your company on a global scale before even releasing a product.

I imagine at least a quarter of their money went into opening all that poo poo plus the mocap studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

AP posted:

I'm sure he's a nice guy but the CIG customer support staff twitter accounts all follow that Kevin Dent guy. Now I could see them chatting and following Dickwulf or any of the other crazy fans of the game, good sense to keep the whales sweet that have your bosses direct email address and might send you pizza, but Dent wasn't interested in the game, just trolling Derek with bollocks.

Customer support staff aren't immune to being taken in by all this too and that's not even considering their paycheck comes from it.

Kevin Dent didn't just set out to troll Derek. His original intent was to push the narrative that the game was doing great and that CIG were doing great things. He openly colluded with DickWulf on Twitter, like a moron, to do all of this. He's not a very smart guy by any stretch of the imagination.

Ever since posting a bunch of bullshit praise for CIG, after the Escapist article, he took up the part time job of attempting to troll Derek. My personal favorite being calling himself "Derek's Dad Kevin". That was a real original one there.

Yeah, real piece of work that guy.

• Locked thread