Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Yup, exactly what I was going to say. Good argument for water injection!

Or meth :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

veedubfreak posted:

This is the reason Europe has multiport injection. Shame the EPA won't let them use it here.

What? :confused: Cars like the BRZ have DI and PFI injectors if that's what you mean. I don't think the EPA is stopping anybody from doing that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Larrymer posted:

What? :confused: Cars like the BRZ have DI and PFI injectors if that's what you mean. I don't think the EPA is stopping anybody from doing that.

What he means to say is that VW is too cheap to bring it over here.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Looking at a 2012 Mini Cooper S with 16000 miles as a weekend toy/go kart. Anything specific I should watch out for? I skimmed this whole thread over the coarse of the last week or so and saw a bunch of people poo poo on Mini, but a few suggested getting a late model from the previous generation.

It's red & black with black wheels and tiny and sporty and I just want a runabout for sunny weekends & maybe an auto cross :ohdear:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The mini is a perfectly capable every day car unless you've got more than 2 kids (unless one is a baby I guess) so I'm wondering why it would be relegated to a weekend car.

A miata is in the same price range, much more fun, and much better for autocross if you were looking for a weekend toy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

What he means to say is that VW is too cheap to bring it over here.

It's pretty funny that somebody is that big of a fan of VW to say :bahgawd: "EPA won't let 'em do it! " even after all the poo poo they did with the diesels and how obviously not true it is that you can't have both (PFI and DI) injectors on one engine in the US. The diagnostics on it would be such a pain in the rear end which is probably why they don't have it here, but it can be done.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GutBomb posted:

The mini is a perfectly capable every day car unless you've got more than 2 kids (unless one is a baby I guess) so I'm wondering why it would be relegated to a weekend car.

A miata is in the same price range, much more fun, and much better for autocross if you were looking for a weekend toy.

Wife and 4 yo son. Previous weekend/track day car is a c4 corvette and we literally haven't driven it since the kid was born. Looking for something with a back seat that isn't a joke (like the mustang & BRZ I tested). I tried a GTI and liked it, but it felt way too practical lol

If I was going for a daily driver is get a GTI but for an extra vehicle/weekend/track car I think the mini fits while still fitting my son.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Larrymer posted:

It's pretty funny that somebody is that big of a fan of VW to say :bahgawd: "EPA won't let 'em do it! " even after all the poo poo they did with the diesels and how obviously not true it is that you can't have both (PFI and DI) injectors on one engine in the US. The diagnostics on it would be such a pain in the rear end which is probably why they don't have it here, but it can be done.

That's never stopped VW before.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Looking at a 2012 Mini Cooper S with 16000 miles as a weekend toy/go kart. Anything specific I should watch out for? I skimmed this whole thread over the coarse of the last week or so and saw a bunch of people poo poo on Mini, but a few suggested getting a late model from the previous generation.

It's red & black with black wheels and tiny and sporty and I just want a runabout for sunny weekends & maybe an auto cross :ohdear:

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Looking for something with a back seat that isn't a joke (like the mustang & BRZ I tested).

I have one, same year and all. The back seat is definitely a joke, but should be ok for a 4 year old kid.

Biggest thing to look out for: timing chain tensioner death rattle. In typical German fashion, they use a plastic tensioner for the timing chain and it tends to go bad with this generation of Minis. The ones with the newer engine revision (which the 2012 has) supposedly fixed this problem, but it's worth it to keep an eye out for. If the car has this problem, it will make an awful diesel-like racket while cold, although you shouldn't mistake the clacking that direct injection engines make for it. For the record, mine has 60k miles and I don't think I have it, knock on wood.

Some other things I've had go wrong personally: leaky oil solenoid valve, squeaky engine pulley (forgot which one), some kind of sensor recall (coolant temp maybe? I forgot which but occasionally my engine would bog down hard at idle until this was replaced), uneven brake wearing, bubbling on the chrome trim around the headlights and grille, a persistent squeak while driving that came from a misaligned hatch latch rubbing onto the hook. Supposedly the engine/turbo eats oil, but mine hasn't been so bad. Another goon recommended checking the turbo for oil on the surface, as they tend to leak with age.

I know you're probably not looking for recommendations but I would honestly just buy a Miata. I have both and even though the Mini is like twice as fast, I still prefer the Miata. Even if you really need that backseat you should still consider looking at other cars like the BRZ because the backseat in the Mini isn't much better at all.

Hikaki fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 1, 2016

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Great info, thank you. I didn't think the back seat in the mini was that bad honestly, all the headroom made the difference. At 6'3" I could sit there for a short while at least. In the mustang and the BRZ my shoulders were hitting the back glass and my neck had to be bent forward 90 degrees lol

If the BRZ were a shooting brake style wagon id be all over it. What I really need is an M Coupe with a back seat :getin:

beanieson fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 1, 2016

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

GutBomb posted:

The mini is a perfectly capable every day car

Well, not if he actually needs to be able to drive it every day.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rad Lieutenant posted:

Great info, thank you. I didn't think the back seat in the mini was that bad honestly, all the headroom made the difference. At 6'3" I could sit there for a short while at least. In the mustang and the BRZ my shoulders were hitting the back glass and my neck had to be bent forward 90 degrees lol

If the BRZ were a shooting brake style wagon id be all over it. What I really need is an M Coupe with a back seat :getin:

Now that you've said it you must buy a clownshoe.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Christ if it had a back seat I'd be all over that, love me a clown shoe. I'm still considering a 135i if I can find one in good shape and low miles. Haven't driven one yet though.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I just discovered there is a 2014 Focus ST with only 5100 miles for sale at a dealer nearby. That sounds too good to be true. I'm going later this week to check it out. What could possibly be the catch here?

Edit: Forgot to mention they're asking $19,500 for it.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

ltugo posted:

I just discovered there is a 2014 Focus ST with only 5100 miles for sale at a dealer nearby. That sounds too good to be true. I'm going later this week to check it out. What could possibly be the catch here?

Edit: Forgot to mention they're asking $19,500 for it.

What options? Base models were going for $20k new when they moved to the new model year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah that price seems not that great if it's a base.

Base price including D&D plus factory incentives but before any sort of negotiation is $23,500.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Well the Focus RS has been delayed. I'm considering going to look at a Golf R again.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KidDynamite posted:

Well the Focus RS has been delayed. I'm considering going to look at a Golf R again.

Link? I googled and all I found were old articles.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Link? I googled and all I found were old articles.

http://s860.photobucket.com/user/njedpx3/media/RS%20Delay.png.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's like what, an extra few weeks?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That's hoping for the best. I should probably just save up a bigger down payment but my car is on its last legs and I rather not spend money to keep it running.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Judging by the GT350R there will probably be markups for quite a while too.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fknlo posted:

Judging by the GT350R there will probably be markups for quite a while too.

I managed to get a dealer charging MSRP so that a big factor keeping me on the hook. Dealers around me were looking for markup on the Golf R as well which is what initially made me decide to wait. I guess I should just be patient and expect a June delivery and maintain my current vehicle accordingly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So just how terrible is the engine in the Mazda Protege 5? I seem to recall stories of reliability issues? And also bad transmissions, or was that just the autos?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Larrymer posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that it was an EPA issue. It's probably that they would have had to recertify it with the MPI and were just too cheap to do so.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

So just how terrible is the engine in the Mazda Protege 5? I seem to recall stories of reliability issues? And also bad transmissions, or was that just the autos?

It's not a bad engine, kinda gutless and not reallllly particularly good economy for how slow it was. I think my wife averaged ~25-28mpg (and sometimes as high as 30 on the highway) when we had one for ~3 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

It's not a bad engine, kinda gutless and not reallllly particularly good economy for how slow it was. I think my wife averaged ~25-28mpg (and sometimes as high as 30 on the highway) when we had one for ~3 years.

I was bullshitting with a dude in a local FB group saying I was tired of wrestling with the Civic's brakes and how I'd like to trade it for a small hatch or pickup and he he has a P5 5 speed he got in another trade. He'd probably be getting the better end of the deal in the end but I have been wanting a wagon/hatch again for a while.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
So, since the OP appears somewhat out of date, what are the current decent hit hatches in the US?
Of course there are the Ford Fiesta and Focus, the WRX (minus the hatch, though many will cross-shop, myself included), the Golf, and the Veloster Turbo... Anything else in the low-cost practical performance segment?

PS good lord, Mazda needs to get their zoom-zoom on in the Mazda3, literally the only downside of that car is the lack of oomph at low RPMs and the fact that the radio looks like a cheap aftermarket unit sitting on top of the dash. Don't they have a grunty turbo four for the 3's CUV platform-mate?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MarsellusWallace posted:

PS good lord, Mazda needs to get their zoom-zoom on in the Mazda3, literally the only downside of that car is the lack of oomph at low RPMs and the fact that the radio looks like a cheap aftermarket unit sitting on top of the dash. Don't they have a grunty turbo four for the 3's CUV platform-mate?

Not yet

They do a diesel as the top spec in a lot of markets but I maintain diesels don't ever suit small cars, especially ones that are supposed to be hot (or at least warm)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rhyno posted:

The engine is fairly wheezy but reliable. The automatics will kill themselves fairly quickly if you use the manual shift mode. They can also cook their own clutch packs. The manuals suffer from chatter when cold but are otherwise okay.

The biggest issue with the P5 is the rust. My god they rust fast. It starts at the wheel arches and on the hatch.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

MarsellusWallace posted:

So, since the OP appears somewhat out of date, what are the current decent hit hatches in the US?
Of course there are the Ford Fiesta and Focus, the WRX (minus the hatch, though many will cross-shop, myself included), the Golf, and the Veloster Turbo... Anything else in the low-cost practical performance segment?

Not a hatch but Civic SI?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

MarsellusWallace posted:

The Mazda3 is basically what got me to swear off ever reading Car and Driver again, as they gave it accolade after accolade and it is probably the worst "driver's car" I've ever owned. Engine and transmission feel like they aren't attached to one another, the throttle lags my foot by what feels like a full second at points, it's just bad. I swear my parents' Hyundai Santa Fe feels exactly the same as the Mazda3 when driving it, so you might as well cross-shop the 3 against other Cute-Utility-Vehicles or whatever the gently caress they're called. At that point, go get a Forester and get the same grunt and transmission but with the ability to fit a whole lot more poo poo into it as well as tow a small trailer.

As for your original question, one of the big things that I've always wondered about is why Chevy and Dodge don't participate in the hot hatch segment anymore, but I'm thinking that the market is just dead and their target audience (current 16-25 year olds) are more interested in the number of ways their car can interface with their cellphone, read tweets/texts aloud and basically do anything but driving. Gas prices being at historic lows are probably driving the average consumer towards heavy SUVs/trucks regardless (and holy poo poo those people are going to be feeling the pain when OPEC stops intentionally dicking around with the market) so there's not much out there as of right now. If electrics take off you're going to see even less involvement in the market in this car size/category, so yeah, I think your list is about it. :shrug:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Not the hottest, but the 2017 US chevy cruze is a hatch now, 1.4t with a stick.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-chevy-cruze-hatchback-naias-detroit-official/

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Doesn't Kia make something lukewarm kinda?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Wife's FiST arrives tomorrow. Any suggestions on break in oil.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Melthir posted:

None.

quote:

Owner's Manual p 15
BREAKING-IN

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break in oils since these additives may prevent piston ring seating

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

mariooncrack posted:

Not a hatch but Civic SI?

Concur, it is considered a competitor for a lot of the cars in the OP. One day they will give us a hatch Si again (no they wont)

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Thank you for the reference.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Melthir posted:

Thank you for the reference.

You are going to have a lot of fun so if you need oil for anything it is to prevent chafing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Melthir posted:

I changed my oil @ 1000 miles because I was antsy to put the fumoto valve on and used Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend and a Motorcraft filter (can't remember which one) and changed again at 7000 using the abovementioned stuff. The 1000 mile one was probably not needed. There weren't any particles or anything.