Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

quote:

Your post has been removed for the following reason(s):
Your post here has been reported as a potential troll or falsified post.
Please send evidence of your assertion to the moderators. Any documentation will not be released outside of the moderation team.
If you feel this was in error, message the moderators.

:vince:

ps: I have no idea why I clicked that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
Okay gonna try to play SC again tonight. If I can get it working, I will livestream it on Yutub.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Okay, so it's a project manager. From an engineering perspective it's a ridiculously difficult job. I assume it's even more difficult in software development since your tasking is entirely personnel based. When I'm managing an engineering project I can at least get a sense of how long a widget will take to build since it's a physical item. Figuring out people is far more difficult.

are there still windows widgets, or was that feature stillborn

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

ps: I have no idea why I clicked that.

the big question is who bailed you out :confused:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Somebody said "shitposting" and it woke me up from the nap I was having on my couch.

Who woke you up? Cortana or Siri?

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

Happy Sisyphus posted:

sorry if i'm late to the eonwe testimonials but this guy got me to stop browsing 4chan because i realized i can shitpost here in a much healthier way

If only we could bring these truths to the reddit masses.

e: that's a terrible idea, and I feel bad for having it.

Junk Puncher fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 30, 2016

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

so you hack in multiplayer into GTA, then remove all guns but two, delete all geometry and nudge saturation down to like 10%

then you make it so you can't shoot the drivers, you put wings on the cars because you gotta have wings in space

and then you fill the forums with people demanding that lawbreakers be permabanned

whatta you got???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Q2HZRjHHQ

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

When EightAce made that comment about the helipad it made me end up finding Foundry 42's location to see if they had one. Instead I found this.

If their game design is best-in-the-industry, why is the only gameplay we've actually seen such poo poo? Ben flat out said that Arena Commander represented the dogfighting we would see in Squadron 42. Is anyone actually pleased by that?

Wait.

Did you honestly believe that they were building a whole different game engine (flight dynamics, physics etc) specifically for SQ42? Seriously?

Dude, how many times have I posted that every single thing backers are playing RIGHT NOW is what's going into SQ42? Bugs and all. Why do you think SM was nerfed? That mocap poo poo is going into SQ42 first, then the PU (now a test bed). And if they don't have enough of SQ42 to serve as test bed (note, they're begging backers to play AC now), they may merge some of it into the PU first, then use backers as testers.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

yeah thanks for the links to that awesome print screen app FINALLY a solution for all my screen dump needs

Oops. My bad, silly postimage. To make it up to you, enjoy this secret CIG Staff meeting in Texas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ieFrMGT83c&t=64s

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Prop Wash posted:

Hey Derek smart you mentioned a "nest egg," I imagine Chris Roberts must have been amassing quite a bit of money of his own between wing commander and now - is that what you're referring to? Would he put his personal fortune on the line for this, and if so, how much are we talking?

No.

I have written about how broke they were prior to Star Citizen. It's not something that I made up.

The nest egg comes from Star Citizen gains.

How else do you think they moved from an apt to a $17K+ per month house, complete with cook, help etc? Post Star Citizen funding?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lowtax posted:

Okay gonna try to play SC again tonight. If I can get it working, I will livestream it on Yutub.

im so sorry

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

No.

I have written about how broke they were prior to Star Citizen. It's not something that I made up.

The nest egg comes from Star Citizen gains.

How else do you think they moved from an apt to a $17K+ per month house, complete with cook, help etc? Post Star Citizen funding?

lol at moving into a house that costs $17k per month

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Lowtax posted:

that is a big dang if

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Holy poo poo this article is amazing. Excuse the lovely Google translate, but...
If someone could translate this section it would be great. If I'm reading this right they're telling the writers that the team has played through all the missions but they won't show them. If that's true then this is the third magazine that's done a piece on Squadron 42 without actually seeing the game be played.

From the article:

quote:

Stellen wir uns in einer Mission allerdings besonders gut oder eben auch schlecht an, könnte das weitere Aufträge aktivieren. Soweit der Plan, zeigen konnten uns die Entwickler davon noch nichts, was über die Präsentationen von der CitizenCon 2015 hinausgehen. Das Team kann zwar schon alle Einsätze durchspielen, aber vorführen wollen sie die Misionen in diesem Zustand noch nicht.

"If we do especially well or badly in a mission, this could unlock further missions. That's the plan, but the developers couldn't show us anything that went beyond the presentations of CitizenCon 2015. The team is able to play through all the missions, but didn't want to demonstrate the missions in their current state of development yet."

quote:

Holy poo poo.
I think this is saying they didn't see any gameplay.

That's what they said.

Another space gem:

quote:

Damit dieser Plan aufgeht, muss das erste Soloabenteuer aber erstmal fertig werden. Und wenn wir nach unserem Besuch beim verantwortlichen Entwicklerstudio im englischen Wilmslow eines sagen können, dann: Squadron 42 könnte der Traum vieler Wing-Commander-Veteranen werden, aber der Release im Jahr 2016 wird wohl eine knappe Kiste. Eine Verschiebung bis 2017 würde uns jedenfalls nicht sehr überraschen.

"For this to be successful [the release of four episodes], they first have to finish the first one. And if there's one thing we can say after our visit ... in Wilmslow, it is this: Squadron42 could be the dream of many a Wing Commander veteran, but a release in 2016 will be a tight schedule. A delay until 2017 wouldn't come as a big surprise to us."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sure the team can play through all the missions. sure.

so why the gently caress hasnt anybody seen any of it?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

By "play through all the missions" they mean move their hands around making whoosh and pew noises. Then they watch the Oswald parts from JFK for 10 hours.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

D_Smart posted:

Don't forget Sandi's gardener...

:argh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

alf_pogs posted:

sure the team can play through all the missions. sure.

so why the gently caress hasnt anybody seen any of it?

Well obviously they don't want to spoil such an amazing story, duh :rolleyes:

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Eonwe is single-handedly responsible for me no longer giving a poo poo.

we kept asking how to pronounce eonwe...

it was always ~d~r~e~a~m~s~

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

Wait.

Did you honestly believe that they were building a whole different game engine (flight dynamics, physics etc) specifically for SQ42? Seriously?

Dude, how many times have I posted that every single thing backers are playing RIGHT NOW is what's going into SQ42? Bugs and all. Why do you think SM was nerfed? That mocap poo poo is going into SQ42 first, then the PU (now a test bed). And if they don't have enough of SQ42 to serve as test bed (note, they're begging backers to play AC now), they may merge some of it into the PU first, then use backers as testers.

No, that's not what I thought. I'm fully aware that SQ42 and SC are the same engine. My point was that I think it's funny that they're saying they have a world class game design team when the gameplay itself is so terrible.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

So far I have experience the fidelity of the head bobbing, motion blur, unintuitive controls (except F12 for the chat box...hello commandos) and clipping through the airlock. I have also experienced a five minute load time, and stealing somebody's constellation by pressing F to use the chair before he got to it.

I managed to get the constellation into the air and did a few flips and barrel rolls above the landing pad, all while the vessel's erstwhile captain stood behind me watching desperately, helplessly. Then I somehow tangled it up in the pipes all over Port Olisar, and held down the E key until I turned into a wiggly ragdoll in empty space. When I woke up, I couldn't move or kill myself, then the game crashed.

Lowtax, good luck.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Those of you who have flown a Glaive, is the cockpit and pilot's seat greatly enlarged to fit a Vanduul pilot? Or is this yet another ship that will have to be revamped once they realize they did it wrong the first time?

asking because my immersion may be broken.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

Those of you who have flown a Glaive, is the cockpit and pilot's seat greatly enlarged to fit a Vanduul pilot? Or is this yet another ship that will have to be revamped once they realize they did it wrong the first time?

[ctrl-s] [x] [y] [z] [1.5] [enter]

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

G0RF posted:

The Vamilyjuwwuls will just sit all scrunched up like a cat that chooses to sleep in a clothes basket.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

[ctrl-s], [x], [y], [z], [1.5], [enter]
So will human pilots get booster seats then?

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

G0RF posted:

Vanduul have special contactable spines so it actually doesn't matter

e: yea like cats to use the laymans speech

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Derek can you explain quaternions to me

I don't get them

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

G0RF posted:

So will human pilots get booster seats then?

let's just say you better disable that air bag

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Einbauschrank posted:

The :frontear: SC-Thread links to a 11/2015 article from a German gamer magazine . They have a slide show on the different actors and "actors" in SQ42.

They begin with bigshots like Gary Parpman and towards the end state things like "this lesser known actor" or "you don't have to know this name". The last slide is our [timg]http://6images.cgames.de/images/idgwpgsgp/bdb/2664254/600x338.jpg][/timg].
The accompanying text is as follows "Not really an actress, Sandi Gardiner is Vice-President of Marketing and wife to Chris Roberts".
:iceburn:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Okay, so it's a project manager. From an engineering perspective it's a ridiculously difficult job. I assume it's even more difficult in software development since your tasking is entirely personnel based. When I'm managing an engineering project I can at least get a sense of how long a widget will take to build since it's a physical item. Figuring out people is far more difficult.

It's a PM with additional responsibilities. In the tv/film world they hire directors and do script review, they either put up the money (indie) or are responsible for it (studio) on top of being accountable for all the timeline resourcing and budget. I'd assume in the game world they'd hold similar expanded duties ie. Identifying key hires, managing resource balancing across smaller project plans etc.

E: executive producer is almost always a vanity title for supplying money or somehow putting the deal together and they have almost no day to day impact.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ash1138 posted:

Sure, but certainly there's gotta be some kind of consumer protection law says you can't lie about how much has been invested in order to spur more people to invest. Or are we in a grey area because it's not "investing" it's "donating?"

There is no law against it. Where it becomes a legal issue if during a lawsuit, someone brings it up and uses it (as most attorneys would) to show the court/judge a pattern of dishonest practices.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Who woke you up? Cortana or Siri?

Cortana. I'm one of those weirdos, at least until my new Android phone gets here. I love the WP interface desperately, but 8.1 is lacking som basic "phone poo poo" functionality.

Plus I can just smell shitposting from a mile away. That poo poo's like the smell of coffee brewing to me. I've only been able to sleep in five minute increments since I discovered this thread last year.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
what's chris roberts' favourite food

jpeggs

thank you

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Tippis posted:

I keep harping on about it to anyone who even gets tangentially close to the subject, but I consider Conspiracy of Fools to be one of the best crime/drama/thriller books I've read. Except that it's a journalistic exposé of the whole company from start to finish.

For your perspective, I would probably suggest Anatomy of Greed to see exactly what kind of experience you missed out on: the story of a freshly cooked MBA that started at Enron in March 2001. It's pretty good but since it's a personal-perspective account, it lacks the epic grandeur of Conspiracy.

boot.ini strikes again.
Granted, I maintain that part of that was Windows' fault — the system should not allow its core files to sit fully exposed in a world-writable directory and have some incompetently made game remove them.

Well if you are interested in crime/thriller books, Jo Nesbo's books are very good.

1500 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 30, 2016

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

The :frontear: SC-Thread links to a 11/2015 article from a German gamer magazine . They have a slide show on the different actors and "actors" in SQ42.

They begin with bigshots like Gary Parpman and towards the end state things like "this lesser known actor" or "you don't have to know this name". The last slide is our
[timg]http://6images.cgames.de/images/idgwpgsgp/bdb/2664254/600x338.jpg][/timg].
The accompanying text is as follows "Not really an actress, Sandi Gardiner is Vice-President of Marketing and wife to Chris Roberts".
:iceburn:

Nice one Germany, nobody likes nepotism.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Technically the Vanduul ships use a weird "lay-down" configuration that should make everything fit easier. Plus it has the added benefit of making any two-seater craft they'd implement turn into Star Centipede

Either way the cockpit and controls should be laughably oversized for human pilots, but I think they handwave that away by saying the Vanduul ships humans are flying are refit for human pilots by some company.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically the Vanduul ships use a weird "lay-down" configuration that should make everything fit easier. Plus it has the added benefit of making any two-seater craft they'd implement turn into Star Centipede

Either way the cockpit and controls should be laughably oversized for human pilots, but I think they handwave that away by saying the Vanduul ships humans are flying are refit for human pilots by some company.

So in Star Citizen lore, did the Vanduul come up with the term 'cockpit'?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beet Wagon posted:

the co-pilot's view might be obscured ~immersed~ by one big piece of alien arse

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

G0RF posted:

IIRC the Glaive is supposed to be a reverse engineered Vanduul ship for human piloting. What you'd have to find out is whether they'll have to redesign the Scythe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the human models are actually anatomically correct

stimpire got their genitals

• Locked thread