Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wiggy's really does make some fantastic bags. I got to borrow a friends Wiggy arctic mummy bag during a winter camping trip one year. It was so lofty and warm, it may have been one of the best nights of sleep I've ever gotten. If you can afford the weight difference I'd second that recommendation. The Cats Meow is a great bag too, I've had one that has served me well for many years.

What I really need to research this year and spend my small REI dividend on is a new sleeping pad. I'm a side sleeper which makes finding a comfortable lightweight one all the more difficult. I have a REI basecamp super thick one which is OK but nothing special. I've tried an Exped down mat on top of that ubiquitous yellow Z-lite pad and that seems to be the most comfortable setup I've found so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...
If you end up doing a lot of freezer bag cooking, or use a lot of mountainhouse style meals in a bag, then getting an extra long spork or spoon is a must.

Seriously, not having your knuckles encrusted with food after every meal is a nice feeling.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What I really need to research this year and spend my small REI dividend on is a new sleeping pad. I'm a side sleeper which makes finding a comfortable lightweight one all the more difficult. I have a REI basecamp super thick one which is OK but nothing special. I've tried an Exped down mat on top of that ubiquitous yellow Z-lite pad and that seems to be the most comfortable setup I've found so far.

I just bought this Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad to replace my thick thermarest. My girlfriend has the same pad and it worked great for me when I tried it, and I'm a side sleeper too. It packs up to the size of a nalgene, and it's easy to roll up/put away. Packed Weight: 18.6 Ounces; Packed Size: 4 x 8 Inches Only $42 if you buy the green one - I went with tan just so I can tell mine from hers.

I'll second the long-spoon recommendation, it's a game changer.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 29, 2016

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I just bought this Klymit Static V Lightweight Sleeping Pad to replace my thick thermarest. My girlfriend has the same pad and it worked great for me when I tried it, and I'm a side sleeper too. It packs up to the size of a nalgene, and it's easy to roll up/put away. Packed Weight: 18.6 Ounces; Packed Size: 4 x 8 Inches

I'll second the long-spoon recommendation, it's a game changer.

I got the same one recently. Haven't used it yet, but I blew it up indoors to test out how it lays. I'm also a side sleeper. Pretty comfortable as long as you get enough air in it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

HarryPurvis posted:

If you end up doing a lot of freezer bag cooking, or use a lot of mountainhouse style meals in a bag, then getting an extra long spork or spoon is a must.

Seriously, not having your knuckles encrusted with food after every meal is a nice feeling.

My xl spork disappeared a few weeks ago and I had to use my backup, a one of those plastic pho soup spoons. For eating soupy trail food it was loving amazing and kept me from getting food all in my beard. But the 3" OAL is a pain. Anyone ever seen a long handled, deep bowl spoon/spork?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you're looking at synthetic, I'm pretty bullish on Wiggy's bags. What makes his bags really stand out above the rest are:

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 since it was the cheapest (only $125 new!) and between the Cat's Meow and the Lumen there was only a range of a couple of ounces weight and some four liters volume (the Kelty being right in the middle).

You did kind of pique my interest with the Wiggy's bags though - might grab one and return the Kelty. The extra half pound or whatever is not a concern really, but I am wondering if you had any idea of the packed volume since I know synthetic bags can often be pretty bulky. Additionally are the bags EN rated or anything? I know you said the 20 deg bag is warm at 20 deg, but is this just consensus in product reviews or have you taken one for a spin yourself?

Don't mean to be critical, I just have a hard time figuring out real data vs. marketing crap. Thanks!

MONKEY TRASH!
Jan 8, 2006

Levitate posted:

JMT stuff

thanks guys! With permit applications and job stuff it seems like I'll be shooting for September, but that's my favorite time in the Sierras anyway. Now to get some friends on board...

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

My xl spork disappeared a few weeks ago and I had to use my backup, a one of those plastic pho soup spoons. For eating soupy trail food it was loving amazing and kept me from getting food all in my beard. But the 3" OAL is a pain. Anyone ever seen a long handled, deep bowl spoon/spork?

These come with a nice long pho type spoon, but I'm not sure if you can buy them separately:
https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/swfbe

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
gently caress next time I get a good sunny day I'll take some pictures of the wrecked 57 bug and 59 chevy rally cars by my house. The bug's driver was the leader of a local rally club and the chevy's driver was rumored to be a hell's angels member who showed up to the rally race unregistered and ran the bug off the road intentionally & then killed himself by turning into the trees on purpose after.

a couple years ago i found a voice recorder with a dead battery hidden inside the engine compartment of the chevy (block's still there and complete!) but I haven't for the life of me been able to find a charger that's compatible.

the bug's pretty much picked through and scrapped, but the chevy's a lot better hidden so the suspension and block are still in tact, interior still exists, and the wheels/tires are even in the area around it.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

a couple years ago i found a voice recorder with a dead battery hidden inside the engine compartment of the chevy (block's still there and complete!) but I haven't for the life of me been able to find a charger that's compatible.

Don't let us down, find a charger and upload the audio. If you post a pic I am sure someone can identify the charger needed.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

These come with a nice long pho type spoon, but I'm not sure if you can buy them separately:
https://www.zojirushi.com/app/product/swfbe

That is cute as gently caress and I want it.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I was going to just recommend the One True Spoon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J1BV01C

But that Zojirushi spoon looks awesome as hell so I had to find it.
https://www.zojirushi.com/app/spare_parts/item/7-SWF-P050

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I finally clicked the button. I was so far behind in this thread that I would never be able to catch up. So then, apologies in advance for those silly questions I ask that were just discussed.

HarryPurvis posted:

Ran into a guy headed into the Sierra High country this last summer. Noticed how small his pack was and asked what kind of bear canister he was using. He replied that he never used a canister and never had a problem with bears. So I asked, what about Marmots getting into your food? "Oh yeah, those little shits have torn my backpack up several times!"
I've noticed this primarily with day hikers, but my impression is that there are hikers that aren't particularly interesting to animals, and then there are hikers that are pure magnetism. Despite all the early mornings I've been out roaming around alone, even stretching far into the afternoon, I've rarely seen anything larger than squirrels and birds. I managed two mountain goats 200m up a hill recently on a very cold and rainy day, on a trail that probably hadn't seen people for weeks, and maybe a deer once every few years, but the animals basically aren't interested in me. No bells on the pack either.

Yet people are always posting trip reports and comments about bears and goats on or near the trails. I guess those are the smelly hikers.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

marsisol posted:

So I'm headed to Utah in early May and am planning on spending 2 days in each of Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands. I know that you could spend weeks in each one, but I'm just doing a tour. That being said, any good recommendations for fun, 1-2 day hikes in any of them?

I just did this, and two days each is not enough for some while more than enough for others.

Zion: If you want to bag the essentials that's all well and good, but you miss half the park. I'd recommend taking the extra time and effort to do a Narrows top down (one day or overnight) or the West Rim with Angel's Landing at the end (can easily done in a day, but campsites are available). It helps get you away from the crowds and really see some natural wonders.

Bryce: One of the most beautiful landscapes in the world. That said, you really only need one night here. The trails along the rim and down into the amphitheater takes just half a day, and the rest can be seen by car.

Capitol Reef: You didn’t mention it in your list, but be sure to drive through here on you way to East Utah. There’s no admission and pretty much everything can be seen from your car. I wish they had more hiking trails, but sadly it mostly seems geared toward off-road vehicles.

Arches: I’ll preface this by saying I’m willing to give this park another chance, but it was the worst camping experience I ever had. Everybody seemed to be there just to take pictures with the arches, there’s no backcountry to speak of, and campsites are ridiculously limited. I also managed to camp next to people blasting music in their car until 2am. I would have chalked it up to bad luck, except a different group did the same thing the next night. All in all, the vibe seemed pretty off in my opinion. If I were to do it again, I would recommend doing one of the few longer trails such as Devil’s Garden or the Fiery Furnace (though be careful not to get lost). Still, this is another park that probably only needs one night.

Canyonlands: My absolute favorite park in the country. The first thing to recognize is that it's technically three parks in one, all accessible from separate regions of Utah. The first is Island in the Sky, which you will probably go to before Arches. It is a plateau rising above the rest of the park with vistas to rival the Grand Canyon. It would be great to stay here during a full moon to see the landscape, or a new moon to see the unbelievably starry skies. Hiking is sadly limited, but try the Grand View Trail to really take it all in (and expect to see at least one tourist climbing on top of Moab Arch). The second portion, situated to the south east, which you probably want to go to after Arches, is the Needles district. This is some prime backcountry that is relatively uncrowded with surprisingly fun trails. I visited Druid Arch by way of Squaw Canyon and Elephant Hill and highly recommend it. I would live here if I could. The third district is the Maze, and it’s mostly for off-roading. If anybody knows any trails there, I’d love to know.

I think that about covers it. The whole trip convinced me Utah may be the most beautiful state in the union, so you’re bound to have an unforgettable experience whatever you do.

A Horse Named Mandy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 30, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

HarryPurvis posted:

Thirding this, that's definitely one of those things that everyone else picks up after they see yours out on the trail

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 since it was the cheapest (only $125 new!) and between the Cat's Meow and the Lumen there was only a range of a couple of ounces weight and some four liters volume (the Kelty being right in the middle).

You did kind of pique my interest with the Wiggy's bags though - might grab one and return the Kelty. The extra half pound or whatever is not a concern really, but I am wondering if you had any idea of the packed volume since I know synthetic bags can often be pretty bulky. Additionally are the bags EN rated or anything? I know you said the 20 deg bag is warm at 20 deg, but is this just consensus in product reviews or have you taken one for a spin yourself?

Don't mean to be critical, I just have a hard time figuring out real data vs. marketing crap. Thanks!

I think you'll be happy with the cosmic down, I've tried my buddies 0° bag and I thought it was quite comfy.

Regarding the wiggys bag, I've had one for years and years myself and it's hands down my favorite bag. I only switched to down quilts since I ditched the tent for a hammock, but I still bring my wiggys whenever it's going to be below twenty, and the jacket whenever it's below fifty. Most manufacturers test and rate their bag by measuring heat loss with a copper pipe in the lab, a really lovely substitute which leads to all kinds of very optimistic ratings. Wiggys bags are comfort rated with a ground pad and shelter out in real conditions and are heavily used in both Alaska and the Artic. As far as compressability goes, it takes some phenegling, but I'm able to get it in the bottom compartment of my bag.

That's just my two cents. I was turned onto them by a friend who teaches a bunch of the outdoors courses at OSU and I've been really happy with mine, especially since I tend to be a cold sleeper

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Regarding the wiggys bag

Thanks for the information on these, I'll definitely check these out for the next bag or if I ever go somewhere colder than coastal California. Just can't justify it right now since the entire point of a new bag was to pack smaller and if it's just a small difference I'm going to get a lot of dirty looks about my spending habits.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've got two bags, one 15 degree down bag and one 20 degree synthetic. I bought the synthetic when I moved to Seattle as it gets wet here on a frequent basis. I've never had a problem with my down bag but if I'm going rafting/canoeing or the forecast calls for rain, I bring the synthetic.

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

I just did this, and two days each is not enough for some while more than enough for others.

Zion: If you want to bag the essentials that's all well and good, but you miss half the park. I'd recommend taking the extra time and effort to do a Narrows top down (one day or overnight) or the West Rim with Angel's Landing at the end (can easily done in a day, but campsites are available). It helps get you away from the crowds and really see some natural wonders.

Bryce: One of the most beautiful landscapes in the world. That said, you really only need one night here. The trails along the rim and down into the amphitheater takes just half a day, and the rest can be seen by car.

Capitol Reef: You didn’t mention it in your list, but be sure to drive through here on you way to East Utah. There’s no admission and pretty much everything can be seen from your car. I wish they had more hiking trails, but sadly it mostly seems geared toward off-road vehicles.

Arches: I’ll preface this by saying I’m willing to give this park another chance, but it was the worst camping experience I ever had. Everybody seemed to be there just to take pictures with the arches, there’s no backcountry to speak of, and campsites are ridiculously limited. I also managed to camp next to people blasting music in their car until 2am. I would have chalked it up to bad luck, except a different group did the same thing the next night. All in all, the vibe seemed pretty off in my opinion. If I were to do it again, I would recommend doing one of the few longer trails such as Devil’s Garden or the Fiery Furnace (though be careful not to get lost). Still, this is another park that probably only needs one night.

Canyonlands: My absolute favorite park in the country. The first thing to recognize is that it's technically three parks in one, all accessible from separate regions of Utah. The first is Island in the Sky, which you will probably go to before Arches. It is a plateau rising above the rest of the park with vistas to rival the Grand Canyon. It would be great to stay here during a full moon to see the landscape, or a new moon to see the unbelievably starry skies. Hiking is sadly limited, but try the Grand View Trail to really take it all in (and expect to see at least one tourist climbing on top of Moab Arch). The second portion, situated to the south east, which you probably want to go to after Arches, is the Needles district. This is some prime backcountry that is relatively uncrowded with surprisingly fun trails. I visited Druid Arch by way of Squaw Canyon and Elephant Hill and highly recommend it. I would live here if I could. The third district is the Maze, and it’s mostly for off-roading. If anybody knows any trails there, I’d love to know.

I think that about covers it. The whole trip convinced me Utah may be the most beautiful state in the union, so you’re bound to have an unforgettable experience whatever you do.

This is awesome, thank you so much!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
For winter backpacking temperature range from 20 F to -10 F, tonight our group leader emphasized that one wants a bigger, puffier down jacket. I have the following and hoping to get away with not buying a massive down jacket that I might only use once.

Patagonia r1, nano air, micro puff vest, and down sweater (sup employee discount) and a lightweight gore tex shell. I should be able to get by at night sitting around camp with some combo of those, yes?

To keep stuff like your sleeping bag dry, do you trust the "waterproof" compression sacks? I was reading the "keep your critical gear dry" article online and it was hard to wrap my head around. Seemed very spergy and basically like no option was actually good, but it was also around 8 years old. Fwiw, I picked up one of these super cheap to check it out: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/granite-gear-event-sil-compression-dry-sack-18l~p~7018x/?filterString=s~waterproof-sack%2F&colorFamily=02

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's got a rolltop so it'll be fine. Having your critical gear in drybags when you're hanging around water is a Good Habit. It's not just to avoid compromising it, it also acts as a floater when you take a dunk.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blinkman987 posted:

For winter backpacking temperature range from 20 F to -10 F, tonight our group leader emphasized that one wants a bigger, puffier down jacket. I have the following and hoping to get away with not buying a massive down jacket that I might only use once.

Patagonia r1, nano air, micro puff vest, and down sweater (sup employee discount) and a lightweight gore tex shell. I should be able to get by at night sitting around camp with some combo of those, yes?

To keep stuff like your sleeping bag dry, do you trust the "waterproof" compression sacks? I was reading the "keep your critical gear dry" article online and it was hard to wrap my head around. Seemed very spergy and basically like no option was actually good, but it was also around 8 years old. Fwiw, I picked up one of these super cheap to check it out: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/granite-gear-event-sil-compression-dry-sack-18l~p~7018x/?filterString=s~waterproof-sack%2F&colorFamily=02

I just use extra heavy duty 5 mil trash bags to throw my down quilts in when I expect it to be wet out. Cheap, light, durable, and pretty effective. My bear canister does a great job of keeping anything else nice and dry, like my oatmeal cups and packets. Anything else doesn't matter too much, it'll dry out so long as you've got the right materials.

If you're looking at light puffy layers that'll keep you warm in the negatives, I highly encourage you to check out Wiggy's jackets. It's a continuous fiber weave, water wicking puffy shell that's warmer than any other garment I own. It doesn't collapse when its wet from sweat or whatnot like down, and it doesn't have sewn baffles and cold spots like down.

e: just re-read your post and you've already got stuff. You should be fine with those, especially while you're moving during the day. You can keep warm at camp doing stuff like collecting firewood, or just retreating into your bag to conserve your core body temperature. You don't want to go to bed cold.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I once slipped on some rocks and went fully underwater in a nice cold alpine lake with my backpack on. My sleeping bag was just housed in its compression sack. It was probably underwater for a full minute. I had to ditch the pack to get the weight off my back and regain my footing and then bend down and fish it out. I was amazed but the thing was bone dry. The only thing that got wet in my pack was the very top stuff sack that had some snacks for the day. This was just a simple old fashioned camp trails hunting pack too nothing fancy or water proof. Point being I think a quick dunk can easily be survivable its the full day of rain that will soak things.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

You still might get a little chilled.

However, don't forget you can always grab your sleeping bag and wrap it around you like a shawl / blanket for extra warmth.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
just don't light it on fire

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Levitate posted:

just don't light it on fire

A few years ago one of my buddies had a camelback that froze, busting a seal which completely drenched everything in his pack. When we got to camp he tried to wring it out and dry off his sleeping bag over the fire, with predictable results as the tail caught on fire.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Does anybody have any recommendations for Tuolumne Meadows? Despite visiting Yosemite a dozen times, I've never explored that section. I mostly prefer backpacking routes, but basecamping and dayhikes are also possible. Oh, and I'm too poor for the High Sierra Camps.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Does anybody have any recommendations for Tuolumne Meadows? Despite visiting Yosemite a dozen times, I've never explored that section. I mostly prefer backpacking routes, but basecamping and dayhikes are also possible. Oh, and I'm too poor for the High Sierra Camps.

The first ~20 miles of the JMT are very pretty and mostly downhill if you go from Tuolumne south to the valley, and you can get a bus back up to the Meadows easily. Not sure when it's free of snow though.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Every High Sierra Camp has backpacker areas where you can set your tent up for free. You get a backpacker-use pit toilet, and access to the main 'lodge' of the HSC, and water spigots. If you want food, you have to pay. But Tuolumne is awesome, and everything is basically downhill from there. Unless you go to Glen Aulin and back, then the out portion is all uphill. My favorite hike is Tuolumne to the valley floor. There are a bunch of different ways you can go depending on which trail head you use, and how many miles you want in a day. It usually opens in April or May, but with all the rain this year, it may be closed longer.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've been thinking about doing that Tuolumne to the Valley hike this year in June..(I think there were some permits left last time I looked). I skipped that part of the JMT and started in Tuolumne, so it'd be nice to see that, but it's also probably one of the most heavily populated areas too.

Was going to look at stuff out of Glen Aulin as well

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
Hiking the Grand Canyon of Tuolumne in spring has been on my radar for a few years. Maybe this year (depending on the snow melt) I'll be able to get out for it.

Basically you start from Tuolumne Meadows and hike down the Tuolumne River to Hetch Hetchy. Supposed to be amazing waterfalls along the way.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Can I get a quick opinion on Native boots? I'd be using them for short-ish day hikes, likely not more than 5 or 6 miles at a time.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Any particular reason you're selecting those, or key features that you'd like in a shoe or boot?

If you're just looking for a comfortable boot to stomp around in I can't recommend the KEEN Targhee II Mid, probably the most comfortable boot I've worn with literally no break in period, good adjustability options and exceptional waterproofing.

If you're set on those Native boots for (reasons) though I can't help you much, sorry!

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Anyone ever hiked Mt. St Helens? My buddy got permits for August and wants me to come out.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

marsisol posted:

Anyone ever hiked Mt. St Helens? My buddy got permits for August and wants me to come out.

Yeah it's awesome, you should do it. By August all the snow will be melted so it's pretty dusty, but the weather's likely to be great and it's an amazing view from the rim of the crater.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Any particular reason you're selecting those, or key features that you'd like in a shoe or boot?

If you're just looking for a comfortable boot to stomp around in I can't recommend the KEEN Targhee II Mid, probably the most comfortable boot I've worn with literally no break in period, good adjustability options and exceptional waterproofing.

If you're set on those Native boots for (reasons) though I can't help you much, sorry!

I'm in the South, summer here is hell, so I want something thats lighter/breathes a bit and I liked that they were simple and monotone so I could wear them out to places and wouldn't feel strange bc normal hiking boots are ugly. Which is fine, if these are just a fashion item I'll get ugly boots, but wanted to check first.

It'd just be for flat trails in the woods and river sort of area, not super rocky and no elevation to gain.

marsisol posted:

Ooh yeah its good times, I went up when there was snow and basically just slid my way down. The crater is dope and if its cloudy you look out in the distance and see Mt. Baker and whatever other mountain just sticking up and staring at you. Good times for sure.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
I was really out of shape the time I did St. Helens and it sucked. Be in shape and it will be awesome. Bring lots of water.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Looking for a good quality outer shell/rain jacket that won't break the bank. 200$ range ideally. Needs to be pretty rugged too or Imma break it real quick.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Crazyeyes posted:

Looking for a good quality outer shell/rain jacket that won't break the bank. 200$ range ideally. Needs to be pretty rugged too or Imma break it real quick.

Someone linked these a few pages back and I scooped one up for myself, but REI had the Marmot Precip rain jacket on sale with 20% additional coupon code for ~45$ altogether. Backcountry still has the same ones (last year's model) on sale for about the same price.

It's got pit zips, which is great, and is highly recommended by outdoor gear labs. I haven't tested mine out much, but it feels like it'll be a pretty good jacket, especially for cycling.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The Precip is a fine jacket and I have like two of them, but rugged they aint. They are pretty average in that a snagged branch seems to not hurt them but a thorn bush will gently caress one up fast.

I also have a Marmot Artemis, which, while I have not pushed my luck with it, has survived a bunch of minor thorn encounters. However, I got it from some deal site for like $75, so I might have an older model. It is a lovely shade of electric green that that don't seem to offer anymore, so maybe that is why it was so cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I bought a Marmot last time at rei but returned it two days later cause it discolored in the rain and looked grungy as hell after a single rain. Was not pleased. I take it that's not common in their products?