Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Couldn't the processing power be used for productive work? Like those @Home distributed computing networks that fold proteins or process astronomical observations, or whatever?
Presumably it's been thought of and discarded for some reason, but I'd be curious to know why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I think you could do any type of problem that's extremely difficult to solve but extremely easy to verify. Protein folding is probably out completely because it probably doesn't have the second property.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

McNerd posted:

The number of Bitcoins in existence is allowed to grow at a small rate. The new coins are given to people who contribute processing power to the network, therefore providing an incentive for anybody to actually maintain the network and process payments.

So if you contribute twice as much processing power you should get twice the reward, at least on average. The way they achieve this is forcing all these people to solve pointless math problems that require a lot of processing power, and every time one of them guesses the "right" solution they get a bitcoin. Difficulty is modulated so as to have some control over the overall rate at which new bitcoins.

These pointless mathematical exercises are how come the Bitcoin network wastes enough electricity to power a small country and still could only process 3 transactions per second even before the present crisis started.

Why wouldn't you just pay out rewards for processing transactions instead of feeding the system fake problems to get a statistical approximation of individual contributions to said processing?

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Why wouldn't you just pay out rewards for processing transactions instead of feeding the system fake problems to get a statistical approximation of individual contributions to said processing?

The problem being fed is the creation of a hash of the blockchain, which is used by the system to verify transactions and allows the system to vary the rate at which it doles out coins. If you just reward transaction processing, then you would have to include another mechanism to verify those transactions and maintain a single stable history, which is what the blockchain does. It's a cryptographic system that has a bunch of interworking parts that work really well as a proof of concept but is atrocious as an actual means of currency

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Oberleutnant posted:

Couldn't the processing power be used for productive work? Like those @Home distributed computing networks that fold proteins or process astronomical observations, or whatever?
Presumably it's been thought of and discarded for some reason, but I'd be curious to know why.

that would require bitcoiners to give a poo poo about anyone but themselves

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

steinrokkan posted:

That's exactly what they are doing, the only thing fake is the complexity to keep the odds stacked.

When they say math problem, it is cryptographic hashing. They are basically looking for the summary of the next step of the transaction ledger. The odds are managed by requiring the summary to look a certain way.

Its a really neat system for a computer nerd to download and gently caress around with on a rainy afternoon, and absolutely baffling why anybody thinks its exactly what finance and economics needs.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

zedprime posted:

That's exactly what they are doing, the only thing fake is the complexity to keep the odds stacked.

When they say math problem, it is cryptographic hashing. They are basically looking for the summary of the next step of the transaction ledger. The odds are managed by requiring the summary to look a certain way.

Its a really neat system for a computer nerd to download and gently caress around with on a rainy afternoon, and absolutely baffling why anybody thinks its exactly what finance and economics needs.

I'm curious

Does anybody involved in running bitcoin actually have any sort of background in economics or even accounting?

Because to me it really seems like some sort of cargo cult economy.

It's like a physicist and an engineer trying to fly a plane with absolutely no piloting experience.

Cool Web Paige fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 29, 2016

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

vxskud posted:

I'm curious

Does anybody involved in running bitcoin actually have any sort of background in economics or even accounting?

Yeah, lots of them have owned a bunch of e-companies, offered e-services, money lending services, and run pyramid schemes

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EngineerSean posted:

Laughing my rear end off at these drug stories, especially not wanting to damage the guy's rep.

Free market working exactly as expected

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

vxskud posted:

I'm curious

It's like a physicist and an engineer trying to fly a plane with absolutely no piloting experience.
This is exactly what it is. Anyone with a lick of sense about technology or economics can only gawk at how absolutely wrong bitcoiners are about everything. Literally everything. Find a subject and they will be saying the wrongest thing about it you could imagine.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

Bit coin made more sense when it was P2P. It used to be everyone did a little calculation on their cpu and you might win the lottery, but pretty quick smarter people figured out you could just run those little calculations over and over on a graphics card or make a custom chip to do it and with the lotteries always and basically now bitcoin's entire design makes no sense because it was originally based on people interacting with eachother on a p2p network instead of 5 guys in china.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Did they ever figure out how to fix the 50% problem, or could three of the five Chinese dudes collude to take all the butts?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Some altcoins had the idea of doing that but they never became popular. And back when CPU and GPU mining was a large fraction of the network, you could have hypothetically changed the algorithm to do something else. But since mining is now down almost entirely by warehouses full of custom-built ASICs, you can't use the processing power behind bitcoin for doing anything except basically the Bitcoin calculation, or some very similar calculation that requires computing sha256 over and over. It's functionally useless.

vxskud posted:

I'm curious

Bitcoin has been described as having had to learn How to Banking the hard way. It's hilarious to watch people in the bitcoin ecosystem go from "yeah, free market! No more banks, no more regulation, no more government!" to "HELP all of my bitcoins were stolen, I filed a police report, maybe someone should create some sort of regulation to prevent this from happening in the future???"

Most of them don't even have software experience so they do hilarious things like using floats in accounting software

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Remember that time a guy earning 50k a year got fired for loading all his university's computers with mining software.

Dude is now sucking cock for crack.

Probably.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

QuarkJets posted:

Most of them don't even have software experience so they do hilarious things like using floats in accounting software

Can you explain why this is funny?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is that group still doing that thing where they turned off telling the network they solved the puzzle for the next bitcoin and started the next block only to publish that they solved the last puzzle block when someone else tried to say they did. You know to trick people.

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

rounding works differently on floats so things can get real inaccurate real fast

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

raditts posted:

Floats are notoriously imprecise. Accounting software has to be incredibly precise. You end up with a system with tons of Office Space holes in it, where little fractions of a bitcoin go missing or appear out of nowhere when you do math with floats.

There was an instance where an exchange was using floats to store the number of bitcoins in accounts. It was obvious to anybody with a computer science degree because numbers would change a little, like from 4.0 to 3.9999999 without any other explanation other than that the exchange was using floats.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Floats can only exactly represent rational numbers with a power of two denominator. 1/4 a bitcoin, you can represent. You add 4 of them together you get exactly 1 bitcoin. 1/3 a bitcoin, nope, you can only represent a number that's almost but not exactly 1/3, so you add 3 of them together you get something that's almost but not quite 1 bitcoin.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

QuarkJets posted:

Mining is mostly performed by a few guys in China now, who already run at a loss because their real goal is to convert Chinese currency into international currencies. So as long as there's not a more profitable method of doing this, they're probably going to continue mining. Every time that the reward halves there's a chance that some of them will pull the plug, but that probably won't happen willingly anytime soon
If the Chinese government decides to crack down on that poo poo for whatever reason then we'll probably see a situation where mining difficulty is too high for the remainder of miners, the so called Frisbee On the Roof. At that point transactions basically won't ever be verified. The developers could manually adjust the difficulty back down, essentially forking the software and requiring everyone to upgrade, but that would require a centralized authority to make a centralized decision and my cognitive dissonance just can't handle that sort of direct contradiction of ideals plus lol at bitcoiners reaching a consensus

I don't think its going to be the case for much longer, because the bitcoin blocksize is rapidly approaching 1mb. Once its over that hump, it will be fairly difficult for the Chinese miners to conduct effective transactions on the US market due to data exchange limitations with the US, so chances are that the mining hot spots will migrate to Europe/Russia and an average non-organized miner will be able to make money again.

The main reasons Chinese miners are effective is due to cheap rent/electricity. If you could find cheap rent in your country along with a constituency that does the cheapest electricity, you could conceivably make a return on bitcoin mining. Bonus points if your area has cold weather.

That said, if you DO decide to mine bitcoins for profit, bear in mind that the entirety of bitcoin community is 100% retarded and you are basically making money of idiots who don't know what they are doing and could collapse the whole thing at any moment. There are probably better ways to invest your money than mining bitcoins, with higher ROI's, but if you REALLY want to mine bitcoins now is not such a terrible time to do it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, like everything Bitcoin related, you can do anything better without Bitcoin

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, like everything Bitcoin related, you can do anything better without Bitcoin

You cant use electricity like a comic book super villain though.

BUT WITH BITCOIN

Enophos
Feb 29, 2008

Captain Gordon posted:

That said, if you DO decide to mine bitcoins for profit, bear in mind that the entirety of bitcoin community is 100% retarded and you are basically making money of idiots who don't know what they are doing and could collapse the whole thing at any moment.

Also full of people with "rational self interest," theives and scam artists who would happily collapse the thing to make a few bucks.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

BUT WITH BITCOIN

I am absolutely positive I could use electricity to make waste heat either more or less efficiently (depending on your preference) for a far lower cost without bitcoin than with

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Freaking bitcuck :jerkbag:

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

LGD posted:

I am absolutely positive I could use electricity to make waste heat either more or less efficiently (depending on your preference) for a far lower cost without bitcoin than with

you're not already?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Really it's less about solving a math problem and more about rolling dice repeatedly. You roll your dice and put the result through a math problem and if THAT result has enough zeros in it, you win. The math problem makes it so that you can't game your result. You could try every possible roll in order or just roll randomly and have the same chance of winning.

They call this "work".

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

BUT WITH BITCOIN

jamie foxx is on a downward sprial

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

JamesieAB posted:

My favourite butterfly labs video-Josh Zerlan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlWrmIqGs3Y&t=143s

4/5 he was pretty rude but he didn't say "cocksucker". Isn't he the guy who liked to call their customers cocksuckers?

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Was that the box of fans display?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

never forget

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
there's at least one company that tries to sell blockchain tech as a zero knowledge encryption / signing solution to very large companies. that conf call was amazing, also I was polite to them but they never got the RFP

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Buttcoin purse posted:

4/5 he was pretty rude but he didn't say "cocksucker". Isn't he the guy who liked to call their customers cocksuckers?

That was Inaba (also Josh but since it was under a different name that made it his personal opinion and not that of the company loooooooooooool)

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's always great to see someone introduced to the mechanism behind Bitcoin for the first time. The reaction is invariably "...why would anyone go through any of this and how can anyone actually believe this is a good idea?" The answer is: Dunning-Krugerrands.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
loving cuckcon idiots :allears: get a real money lossers

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Naxuz posted:

It's always great to see someone introduced to the mechanism behind Bitcoin for the first time. The reaction is invariably "...why would anyone go through any of this and how can anyone actually believe this is a good idea?" The answer is: Dunning-Krugerrands.

Nah this whole banking thing isn't that hard, I'm gonna be my own bank

*fat-fingers keyboard and irrecoverably sends all of his bitcoins into a black hole*

No problem, no problem, I've got some spare bitcoins on PonziExchange

*bitcoin exchange closes, webpage just says "Sorry, we lost all of the bitcoins, no more withdrawals, please stop sending us your money"*

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

QuarkJets posted:

please stop sending us your money

Yeah right.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bitcoin is everything Bitcoiners deserve, it's Wallet Inspector level of scams but people lose "money" over and over

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Is Wired still black holing coins on purpose? Because that was the best Bitcoin troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Razorwired posted:

Is Wired still black holing coins on purpose? Because that was the best Bitcoin troll.

Bitspergs heads exploded because their coins simultaneously became more scarce yet were wasted on a non-cult activity.

• Locked thread