Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Alexeythegreat posted:

I did
The cutscenes that explain the task put more emphasis on the "THESE ARE VENTS" part than on the hacking part

quote:

SHEPARD: Here. Maybe we can send someone in through this ventilation shaft.
JACOB: Practically a suicide mission. I volunteer.
MIRANDA: I appreciate the thought, Jacob, but you couldn't shut down the security systems in time. We need to send a tech expert.
JACOB: It's your call, Commander. Who do we send into the shaft?

ALEXEYTHEGREAT: I'll send my biotic sniper! :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

What happens if you bring him on his own recruitment mission?

I didn't try, I disabled him in case the game broke. But when I got him back, he was still loyal and more importantly still had the Widow.

Legion + Widow in early game is fun, especially if you are an Infiltrator and bring another sniper. Death from afar :zaeed:

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, same with Miranda volunteering for barrier duty when she's one of the worst for the job, and guarantees the fireteam's survival if she's in charge of it.

She's a better biotic than Jack who is only useful in cutscenes.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Thane does end up being the most extraneous cast member of ME2.

Everyone potentially has something to do (Garrus specifically is good at many things) during the suicide section except Thane and Moridin. Moridin does, however, develop the countermeasures for the horizon mission.

Regalingualius posted:

What happens if you bring him on his own recruitment mission?

okay maybe he doesn't have that much dialogue

hard counter fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 26, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

monster on a stick posted:

Maybe, but it's a plot point about being a really strong natural biotic, and it only makes sense for Samara (a thousand years of practice) and Jack (the most powerful human biotic, ever) to be able to pull it off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

If they had just given her warp instead of pull, she would have been worth a drat. Unfortunately during ME2's dev they were still operating under the assumption that Pull was good.

Narratively, though, Jack is your party's most powerful biotic.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well Shockwave is still good, and then they made it even better in ME3

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think we've had this discussion before, but Shockwave in ME2 and Shockwave in ME3 are basically two completely different powers that are good for different reasons. And Jack's AI doesn't really know how and when to use Shockwave properly.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, it's the same Miranda that volunteered to hold the biotic barrier

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wish it was easier to kill off Miranda. Jakob is just bland and boring so he can live I suppose but Miranda is just so... creepy. Everything about her is creepy and she's just a bootlick buttlick with her head so far up her superior's rear end she could lick the back off his teeth. Jack is trying way too hard to be all edgy and poo poo and, as mentioned, she's so weak and useless in the game compared to the other companions while kicking, heavily scripted, rear end in cutscenes. Down the space toilet you go.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah I think on my last run through ME2 I tried really really hard (well, followed a guide) to kill off Miranda and Jacob (and no one else) but just couldn't make it happen for whatever reason. She's got pretty drat near plot armour in that game. :(

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Make sure Miranda and Jacob are the only two non loyal squad members, and bring them with you into the final fight with the reaper baby. And don't put either of them in charge of the fire team, vent, or barrier. That should end with both of them dead but no one else.
Alternately sending a non loyal squaddie back with your crew will get the squad member killed but the crew survives.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 26, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kurieg posted:

If they had just given her warp instead of pull, she would have been worth a drat. Unfortunately during ME2's dev they were still operating under the assumption that Pull was good.

Narratively, though, Jack is your party's most powerful biotic.

They should have kept Lift, why would I want to bring enemies closer to me?

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

They should have kept Lift, why would I want to bring enemies closer to me?

Someone post that video of the Batarian using Lash to duck hunt.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Seriously? Probably because they wanted to show off warps biotic detonations and the best way to do that was to make sure that they get closer so you can see the pretty blue explosions.

The Slithery D posted:

Someone post that video of the Batarian using Lash to duck hunt.
Piercing Lash is the most amazing thing and it annoys me to no end that I need to keep 1 point in pull just so I can deal with the Cat-5 troopers with shields because they forgot to code in the proper lash interaction.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Poil posted:

I wish it was easier to kill off Miranda. Jakob is just bland and boring so he can live I suppose but Miranda is just so... creepy. Everything about her is creepy and she's just a bootlick buttlick with her head so far up her superior's rear end she could lick the back off his teeth. Jack is trying way too hard to be all edgy and poo poo and, as mentioned, she's so weak and useless in the game compared to the other companions while kicking, heavily scripted, rear end in cutscenes. Down the space toilet you go.
I don't have a problem with Miranda herself, it's that her tits and rear end are both NPCs as well.

e: also her hair got really stupid in ME3

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I don't like miranda or jacob in mass effect 2.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I gotta say that ME3's Rachni treatment is a sore point in the series.

No matter what you do in 1, they're still around in 3! Alright, choices that matter!

:argh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

No matter what you do in 1, they're still around in 3! Alright, choices that matter!

well... sort of? Let's just say you really shouldn't trust them if you didn't save them in 1. Though it is funny enough to do it once for the codex entries.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

zxqv8 posted:

Here's the thing: even if you wiped them out on Peak 15, there are others who were shipped to Cerberus facilities in the Traverse. In ME1 they appear in two side missions on other planets.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Hmm. It has been a while since I've played through the whole of the series, so maybe I'm misremembering how the whole story went, but I thought we could eliminate the last Rachni queen?

Well, I'm about to re-find out when the next video is out, I imagine.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

iirc the rachni in 3 are some kind of genetically re-engineered specimen if you went with genocide

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

zxqv8 posted:

Hmm. It has been a while since I've played through the whole of the series, so maybe I'm misremembering how the whole story went, but I thought we could eliminate the last Rachni queen?

Well, I'm about to re-find out when the next video is out, I imagine.

Cloning is a thing that happens in ME. Yes, you can kill the "last" Rachni queen. As in she's the last of the old. Except she's also the first of the new.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

hard counter posted:

iirc the rachni in 3 are some kind of genetically re-engineered specimen if you went with genocide

Oh.

Well gently caress Ravagers, either way.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

Oh.

Well gently caress Ravagers, either way.

Yes, if you spare the reaper's genetically engineered rachni, they will assist on the crucible project... until the next mission you complete when they kill 300 readiness worth of personnel on their way out.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
#RachniLivesMatter is all I have to say on the matter.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:agreed:

Man, I love these games. It might even be my favourite sci-fi setting these days.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I've been playing a lot of ME3 multiplayer recently, and boy oh boy is the N7 Paladin a lot of fun.

Brute charging you? Slap your Omni-shield down, let it break the attack and shotgun the gently caress outta him.

Fighting the geth? Button-mash energy drain and incinerate.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
My fave thing to do with the Paladin is riot-shield tennis. Backhanding poo poo over railings never gets old.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SubponticatePoster posted:

My fave thing to do with the Paladin is riot-shield tennis. Backhanding poo poo over railings never gets old.

Oh yeah especially when you get it up to max rank and get the fire/freeze effect and you're playing bronze challenges, just run around smacking dudes all over the place. It's fun.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Geth scanner lets you see through walls. Snap freeze goes through a lot of walls. Think about it.

Paladin is a ton of fun.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I never unlocked the Paladin, but the Devastator is also a ton of fun because you're basically an inexorable glacier of firepower.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

but enough about the N7 Destroyer missile launcher glitch :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Psion posted:

Geth scanner lets you see through walls. Snap freeze goes through a lot of walls. Think about it.

Paladin is a ton of fun.

So does smash.
:getin:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Map needs debugging

Going deeper into Peak 15. We help a bunch of people with a bunch of dumb poo poo. Kill a bazillion bugs and get hosed over twice. You can take the pass Ventralis gives you and go straight to the hot labs where he'll still try to shoot you afterwards. Now that we've done all this bullshit we can finally move on to Benezia herself. Then we'll be done with Noveria. After that we'll head back to the Citadel for some more tie-in quests.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I always did the Hot Labs quest after dealing with Benezia, you don't have to fight Captain Ventralis that way since you can just walk back to the tram and avoid him, it doesn't make much of a difference though really.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm trying to decided if they were trying to reference animal farm at the start with 2 legs good, 4 legs bad.

Judge Tesla posted:

I always did the Hot Labs quest after dealing with Benezia, you don't have to fight Captain Ventralis that way since you can just walk back to the tram and avoid him, it doesn't make much of a difference though really.

Well, I mean, as long as damning all the non military npcs to horrible rachni death doesn't mean much to you. Ventralis was kind of the only thing stopping that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

FoolyCharged posted:

Well, I mean, as long as damning all the non military npcs to horrible rachni death doesn't mean much to you. Ventralis was kind of the only thing stopping that.
All the Rachni are totally dead though!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

JT Jag posted:

All the Rachni are totally dead though!

Yeah, this. The people upstairs survive since you still get the email from the volus guy in ME2.

So going to the hot labs 2nd would be the more "correct" way of doing this.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Didn't the guards just kill all the npc's?

Also you totally missed out on the Army of Darkness reference when initiating the purge. (at least that's what I remember) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Poil posted:

Didn't the guards just kill all the npc's

Only if you go to the hot labs first.

Either way, the Volus guy lives, but his email still being sent to you in the 2nd implies that everybody survives if you go to the hot labs AFTER Benezia cacks.

• Locked thread