Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

code45man
Dec 26, 2013

The firewall will stop it...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

installed the linux

tried to update my graphics driver on the linux

the linux would not start

help how do I get good at the linux?

When's this Mac refresh so I can hop on the brew train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Celexi posted:

pseudorandom name posted:

this is whoops the EFI variable space is more than half full now the system won't boot levels of incompetency

PC hardware is such trash
all these efi issues also exist in macs!

macs do not brick if the efi variable space is >50% full (that was a sarnsung laptop bug). nor do they brick if you "sudo rm -rf /" (*). theres plenty of poo poo wrong with apples efi but these particular fails do not exist in apple land

also slowclap for everyone trying to defend this bit of systemd

* these days that wont even get you the satisfaction of blowing away your os x, though it should still flense off the home dirs. el capitan prevents even root from modifying system files, part of apple's defense-in-depth system security design (**)

** speaking of which and speaking of lennart poettering, he is the king of noticing that apple is doing something intelligent to unix system design many years after it's old news, and providing his own version in linux, only with lots of initial bugs, a massive case of bikeshedding, and second-system-syndrome-by-proxy (hence the btrfs obsession mr. dog correctly suspects will lead to pain and suffering). i can only imagine the :can: solution he'll think up for an equivalent to rootless :allears:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so in a way using osx is like having a bleeding edge version of things linux will have a broken version of in 10-20 years

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pram posted:

so in a way using osx is like having a bleeding edge version of things linux will have a broken version of in 10-20 years

like sound and wi-fi

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cocoa Crispies posted:

like sound and wi-fi

Probably a gigantic misleading exaggeration to say Apple has "working" wifi

pram
Jun 10, 2001

broken clock opsec posted:

Probably a gigantic misleading exaggeration to say Apple has "working" wifi

:holy::hurr::holy:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

systemd is extremely ftw but i'm not going to blindly assume that everything poettering does is great

i'm rather worried about poettering's obsession with btrfs for instance, because i feel like i'm going to get my arm twisted into using btrfs before long and it's a lovely filesystem for any sort of nontrivial application.

lol that first link was benchmarking postgres without nocow, and then brushing off that it worked nicely if you just enabled it. it's not weird at all that cow is slow when used for dbs.

and that second link whines about the same, and systemd fixed it a long time ago by automatically setting the dirs as nocow

btrfs owns, unfortunately you have to janitor it a bit if you run applications that appends a lot of data to files, e.g. vm, db and logservers

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Tankakern posted:

lol that first link was benchmarking postgres without nocow, and then brushing off that it worked nicely if you just enabled it.

lol at the idea that nocow is a worthwhile thing to use on a filesystem where the cow is the whole point

also you didn't read very close he tested other cow filesystems with cow turned on and they were way better

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Smythe posted:

my ubuntu gnome has owned and been insanely stable cept for 2 bugs:

- for some patch thats gone now but for a while audacity would hardlock me compy sometimes.

- printer is hosed to hell now and needs cups restart nonstop basically every print job and sometimes it cant be rezzed and needs reboot or printer remove/readd

the official Linux way is to have cron restart cups every five minutes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ratbert90 posted:

I used reiserfs back in the day.
:goonsay:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer toucher posted:

the official Linux way is to have cron restart cups every five minutes.

cups is an apple product

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cups is an apple product

from what I can tell you also have to restart cups a lot on os x

so it's consistent behavior at least

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I used reiserfs back in the day. :smith:

gentoo install guide :hfive:

when's reiser4 coming out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I used reiserfs on the postop

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
mods pls make a murderfs gang tag

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

blowfish posted:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

blowfish posted:

source material:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I used jfs before and it worked fine idk why it wasn't more popular

TBH I mainly just use ext4 now, unexciting filesystem is fine by me

pram
Jun 10, 2001
exotic filesystems

pram
Jun 10, 2001
xfs is the coolest sounding. hopefully you all factor this into your decisions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Progressive JPEG posted:

I used jfs before and it worked fine idk why it wasn't more popular

nobody was actively working on it.

linux jfs was ported from microkernel os/2 aka "workplace OS," a project IBM abandoned before the first release. it never really had a hope.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

xfs is the coolest sounding. hopefully you all factor this into your decisions

xfs is recommended by red hat

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

xfs is recommended by red hat

recommended way to lose your data when the system crashes*

*my knowledge of xfs is from like 15 years ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

recommended way to lose your data when the system crashes*

*my knowledge of xfs is from like 15 years ago

pc hardware has gotten better since then. all common scenarios allow for write barriers, limiting the potential for data loss under xfs.

(the uncommon scenario is software raid5/raid6, in which case you're screwed with or without XFS. buy a ups with the money you saved by avoiding hardware raid w/ battery backed cache.)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
uh there are lots of valid cases to writing to the system efi partition like changing boot configuration?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
accidentally delete the efi partition?

:smuggo: sounds like linux is too powerful for you :smuggo:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
that doesn't mean it should be mounted read/write at any time other than specifically when changing

or in a way that's accessible to anything other than a very strictly limited process that only makes the required changes and can touch nothing else

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
loving up your computer irreparably is all part of the learning experience

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

loving up your computer irreparably is all part of the learning experience

and people said systemd didnt fit the unix philosophy

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cups is an apple product

So is my iPhone but if I drop it in the toilet and piss on it it's going to have performance issues.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I really wanted to like Linux back in the day and got it working pretty well and then came the day when it told me there's a distro upgrade available and I was like "sure, what's the harm?"

three days later I was back in Windows which didn't stutter when doing such intensive tasks as dragging windows on the desktop.

Now I like Linux where it belongs: on a headless server in the Netherlands.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Listen folks: aside from mechanical issues, I need the printer to work 100% of the time.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Smythe posted:

Listen folks: aside from mechanical issues, I need the printer to work 100% of the time.

the gently caress are you messing around in Linux then?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

gentoo install guide :hfive:

when's reiser4 coming out

I also used Gentoo :hfive:

My first distribution was Slackware 4, followed by, lfs, Redhat (before it forked into Fedora), Mandrake, Debian, Gentoo, and then eventually settling on Fedora for the desktop and Cent for the servers.

I also liked JFS. :unsmith:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Smythe posted:

i'll fix it for you smythe, what's your ip address and root password?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Smythe posted:

my printer on fedora works 100% of the time

pram
Jun 10, 2001

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
the only award than matters :smugbert:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I remember when you'd get a box of 3.5in disks with the 386BSD system on them

and another box with X11R4

and another couple boxes with the sources

because you mailed someone a few bucks to buy a bunch of disks and make you a copy

there wasn't a "distro" there was an OS

and even after this Finnish kid who had no idea what he was doing together a simple kernel and put it atop the V7 filesystem and started passing it around there was still just an OS

don't know what possessed people to use his over BSD though, except maybe the original 387 or Adaptec 1542 SCSI requirements that 386BSD had, both of those were done away with plenty quick though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
cups owns