Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Is that actually a viable way to build a game? Like I know loving nothing about programming or game production, but it sounds like a good way to have a bunch of things that don't work together.

Probably if they stayed like AC and PU are now, completely separate programs just using the same art assets and authentication servers.

Call of Duty does it with single player and multiplayer so it must be the best way to do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
It's sad when fun and well-made MMOs have to go F2P to survive

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
I'm really excited to find out who Erillion is on the mmorpg.com forums.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/445077/star-marine-news-and-two-devs-leave/p13

dsmart
"Hey Guis!!

Look at all this mean stuff this guy wrote. Then he came up with this too. I mean seriously, he's begging to be sued, right?

ktnx bye

ps: We now know who Erillion is. Going to figure out how to break the news to you denizens without being accused of doxing. It's a doozy. But my guess is that some of you already suspected all this time. "

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

peter gabriel posted:

So I made a vid but it's a weird one, it's mainly to drive people to http://www.justagamemode.com/ because I think it;s amazing work by GORF, I have credited him etc, let's get some youtube views turned into hits for that!
I have also used some grrr angry music but i think it fits what I am trying to de pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKHl6ftSxww

:pgabz: :master: :pgabz: :perfect: :pgabz:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Is that launch suggestion real?

Star Citizen: Is That Suggestion Real?

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Lowtax posted:

Yes I was in the bar and there were two players staring at each other so I emoted them and became stuck in a T and said "I'm Jesus, I just escaped from the cross, I'll give you 5000 space bucks if you hide me" but they didn't say anything so I left

No better welcome to "the verse" then becoming space Jesus.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So you can basically say it all turned to poo poo on October 10, 2015. That was the day we got :gary:.

Wasn't it just a week or two before citcon when Jamesday went down and a number of the Santa Monica staff walked out?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Madcosby posted:

Is that launch suggestion real?

Star Citizen: Is That Suggestion Real?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...e_game_can_load

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Hey Imma gonna take a break from random shitposting and ask a question.

I remember how Croberts & Co. said their plan for SC was to build a bunch of seperate modules (FPS, Arena Commander, etc) and then put them together and magically it would be a whole game because Dr. Frankenstein Space Surgery Magic.

Is that actually a viable way to build a game? Like I know loving nothing about programming or game production, but it sounds like a good way to have a bunch of things that don't work together.

You can build the parts separately, all using the same engine yes.
But with Cryengine and the way they were going about it, ultimately the answer is no. Partially what they ran into with Illfonics work, from what we understand. They couldn't figure out how to merge the code. Because though it was the same engine it had been so basterdized all around that it just didn't match up anymore. At least that's the simplistic explanation.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'm hoping Derek comes in and writes a whole bunch of words about game design in re: my question, honestly.

DEREK SMART probably would've posted:

"Here is what I have been saying all along-- you don't build a game, certainly not a game of this scale, this ambition-- in CryEngine! Fact!

And furthermore, and I would have told Chris if he would've asked my opinion, which he didn't-- though I have more experience making games than he does, certainly more than he's had in the last 10 years when he and Sandi were flat BROKE and living practically hand to mouth... Furthermore, even if you do choose CryEngine-- foolishly-- to build your space game, you do not break it into pieces and say to one office "Okay, you are going to do the ship combat" and to another "Okay, you are doing to do the Game assets or the social module" or whatever other bullshit Chris has scope creeped into this impossible dream.

And you CERTAINLY, you CERTAINLY do not hire an outside studio, one with only a couple of gloried Quake knockoffs to their name-- you certainly do not hired that studio to do your first person shooter! Do you want to know why? You know why! Because with all these different studios developing all these separate components, you are going to get a hodge lodge piece of poo poo game that doesnt WORK WELL TOGETHER! And that is EXACTLY what Chris has built. A buggy, gigantic hodge lodge of poo poo that will never, ever live up to the promises he has made, never live up to the fake videos he had built so his liar wife Sandi could sell more space pixel to degenerate losers!

The modules -- whether they work by themselves or not -- give you nothing, absolutely nothing if you can't merge them together into a playable game! And you can't! It is like deciding you are going to build a car-- and having one shop build the engine, another the chassis, another the interior seating, the wheels, air conditioning-- and then they ship the pieces to you and you find they don't FIT together! That is what has happened with Star Citizen! The CAR won't DRIVE YOU ANYWHERE! And the developers have been telling him this but of course he FIRES them for speaking the TRUTH!

I have been saying this for over half a year -- that it is a fool's errand and a mountain of lies! But rather than acknowledge that they have a problem, Chris has slandered and libeled me, he has called me every name in the book! But it is all falling apart now, EXACTLY as I predicted it would!"
And so on.

That's just my guess as to what he will say but he might surprise us.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

And so on.

His other standby answer is “this, all of it”. So that's my guess.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Kavak posted:

:yarg:
:yosbutt:

For an embarrassingly long time I thought "Paaarp" was an onomatopoeia of the sound Gary seemed to be making instead of an airhorn. It's weirdly fun to say. Paaarp, paaaaarrrp...

now try saying it and rolling the R. it really is so fun to say.

trucutru posted:

Guys, take this extremely complicated motor and build a race car around it. At the same time, my team will modify the motor for our super-sonic jet. We'll meet in a year and then we merge both projects to make a flying car, a really fast one.

:iiaca: i just like using this

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

G0RF posted:

And so on.

He'll probably just quote your post and say:

^^This. All of it.

e: lol f;b

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

On the plus side, it won't be an issue two months from now (because it will have slipped off the issue council's to-do list).

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Tippis posted:

His other standby answer is “this, all of it”. So that's my guess.

BeefThief posted:

^^This. All of it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Don't forget Sandi's gardener...

:argh:

That would involve there being any bushes to trim. You and I both know that shits shaved to bare bedrock.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Goobs posted:

I'm really excited to find out who Erillion is on the mmorpg.com forums.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/445077/star-marine-news-and-two-devs-leave/p13

dsmart
"Hey Guis!!

Look at all this mean stuff this guy wrote. Then he came up with this too. I mean seriously, he's begging to be sued, right?

ktnx bye

ps: We now know who Erillion is. Going to figure out how to break the news to you denizens without being accused of doxing. It's a doozy. But my guess is that some of you already suspected all this time. "

Its Sandi, Ben, AND Seraph sharing the account.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Lowtax posted:

I boarded some guys spaceship and got in a bubble chair and started farting sparks and smoke and fell out and landed on a space station but my space hat was gone and I started getting all these error messages about not being able to be found in the coordinate system and I pressed the up arrow until my spaceman flew off my screen and I could never find him again.

immersion

feel our pain Lowtax, cry salty tears and feed your goonie babies- ok that got weird quick

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Youtube: The Gillian Andersen Interview (Director's Cut Edition)

So, we get another version of a video already released by CIG. Only now they cut in the b-camera footage so we can see the tattoed Sandi actually interviewing her. And yet she doesn't really seem to be the real interviewer. It seems like they cut in Sandi to replace whoever interviewed Anderson. Or they reshot Sandi's side after due to a technical problem the first time around or, as in Broadcast News, they only had one camera but the interviewer really really really wanted to be in the final edit...

I would say this makes absolutely no sense to me. And yet it makes perfect sense.

(Sorry if this was posted earlier in thread and I missed it.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 30, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

grimcreaper posted:

Its Sandi, Ben, AND Seraph sharing the account.

My guess: it's Dolvak with all the INN links and name drops.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

G0RF posted:

Youtube: The Gillian Andersen Interview (Director's Cut Edition)

So, we get another version of a video already released by CIG. Only now they cut in the b-camera footage so we can see the tattoed Sandi actually interviewing her.

I would say this makes absolutely no sense to me. And yet it makes perfect sense.

(Sorry if this was posted earlier in thread and I missed it.)

They are not in the same room, are they? Why does that ring so false?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is actually quite common, and really isn't a problem for an effective engineer who knows how to delegate by letting people do their jobs, setting realistic goals, facilitating communication between everyone involved, and not constantly moving the goalposts and making people redo poo poo they've already done over and over again.

GHELOO CPOMMANO

I enjoy a lot of this thread's tangents. The complex math got my shorts a little tight. I was honestly falling asleep on the couch and that woke me up. So embarassing.

The project management is interesting to me - not in software development, but I occasionally have to fill that PM role. The one I am on now: I have 1 hard coder, 3 EE's, 1 ME, 4 scientists who all think they know better with some pissant coding capability (one being myself), some technicians who will actually get the work done, and a technical writer to take all the credit.

At the end of the day you have to learn not to take yourself seriously. And embrace middle-aged alcoholism. To me, it all comes down to hiring smart people that you trust to solve a problem, set hard targets, be the go-between, and then the rest is accounting. Math isn't hard.

fe:Jesus Christ peter gabriel makes good videos. Music selection is always on point. The pretend "simple" title blocks and subs are brilliant. Where do I donate my Idris money?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

ZenMaster posted:

They are not in the same room, are they? Why does that ring so false?

Because Sandi is a loving garbage interviewer even when her interviewee isn't in the same room.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Young Freud posted:

My guess: it's Dolvak with all the INN links and name drops.

I think it's :lesnick:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Beet Wagon posted:

Cortana. I'm one of those weirdos, at least until my new Android phone gets here. I love the WP interface desperately, but 8.1 is lacking som basic "phone poo poo" functionality.

Plus I can just smell shitposting from a mile away. That poo poo's like the smell of coffee brewing to me. I've only been able to sleep in five minute increments since I discovered this thread last year.

https://gfycat.com/ImpoliteSinfulBuzzard

This is all of us, but especially Eonwe and pgabz. :)

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 2, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That Sandi/Anderson video is so badly done. lol.

And I'd go with GORF's theory about why it was done. I bet nobody checked her mic levels before the interview because GOSH GILLIAN ANDERSON IS IN THE ROOM OMG!

e: She was definitely in the same room as her, wearing the same clothes and same 'feral-viper' fake neck tattoo

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 30, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:pusheen:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bonus comment from Sandi's facebook page

The youtube comments are getting similar posts

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 30, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

And I'd go with GORF's theory about why it was done. I bet nobody checked her mic levels before the interview because GOSH GILLIAN ANDERSON IS IN THE ROOM OMG!

e: She was definitely in the same room as her, wearing the same clothes and same 'feral-viper' fake neck tattoo

Ben Lesnick weighs in to assure you that the awkwardness was 100% real.

And Matilda is not far behind him.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
"every news interview is done this way"

it's just that Sandi has no talent in front of a camera

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Let's look at another disappointing space game:

WHO WEARS TACKY HORRID CRAP LIKE THAT?

oh. :shrug:

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 30, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Funny enough, I noticed on Gillian Andersons twitter earlier that she was smiling and looked to be having real fun.

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/692799015604211712

What a night and day difference. She really wanted to get away.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Found this hidden in the /r/starcitizen sub-reddit. I think its their MO.

After the thing Chris fought for crumbles beneath him, he is imprisoned for crimes against the people. During his time in prison, he takes to the pen and writes a 3000 page novel about "The life and times of Chris Roberts"™.

'They don't understand my vision! If only I could have followed my true calling as an artist. I will write about those devils, those evil men who control the development and the money.'

Those still loyal to the Roberts banner would slowly crawl back to him. Secret meetings in underground pubs will take place, while Chris and his followers figure out how to approach his previously failed project.

And as years pass and he garners more and more support from a crowd he will declare the timelessness of his dreams and his vision!

'What I plan on building, not just for myself but for my people, will last a thousand years! I will take my rightful place as leader of this glorious new endeavour headed by my new studio "New Reich Cinema" to produce my new magnum opus: Galactic Citizen X'

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No you dolt, you have two cameras and edit the different angles in post-production, not just change the single camera between the two people. If you have a single camera, you just keep it on the subject and use that and if you're lucky get a starting wide shot to include the interviewer. These people make poo poo up so often it's amazing they can even feed themselves. :cripes:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

No you dolt, you have two cameras and edit the different angles in post-production, not just change the single camera between the two people. If you have a single camera, you just keep it on the subject and use that and if you're lucky get a starting wide shot to include the interviewer. These people make poo poo up so often it's amazing they can even feed themselves. :cripes:

And that's as an absolutely worst case scenario. Really that guy is a loving moron. I made sure to share that fact.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
You know lads? I miss Freelancer (the good game about space ships).

Would'nt it just be easier to reinstall Freelancer and install both the capital ships mods and install the multiplayer than play Star Citizen at this stage?

I suppose someone could garrysmod up a spaceman v spaceman combat mode if anyone wanted an FPS to play in tandom.

Just saying.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 30, 2016

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Foul Ole Ron posted:

You know lads? I miss Freelancer (the good game about space ships).

Would'nt it just be easier to reinstall Freelancer and install both the capital ships mods and install the multiplayer than play Star Citizen at this stage?

I suppose someone could garrysmod up a spaceman v spaceman combat mode if anyone wanted an FPS.

Just saying.

Angels Fall First has good spaceman vs spaceman boarding gameplay.

There was a capships mod for FL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Thronde posted:

Angels Fall First has good spaceman vs spaceman boarding gameplay.

There was a capships mod for FL?

Think it was called the discovery mod, it just let you fly the capital ships you see everywhere.

There were a few goons who ran a sever a few years ago from what I recall.

Anyway, Freelancer was a good game and did a lot of what Star citizen is trying to with little effort, worth a replay.

A replay mostly due to Freelacer not having people re-spouting Firefly speak so as to sound cool and edgy.

gently caress you CIG, verse is not your word.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 30, 2016

• Locked thread