Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Periphery posted:

Is that even possible?

Could do an Ashes Cricket and forcibly refund everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

NTRabbit posted:

I honestly thought they'd given up years ago

It's the soccer paranoia again, they've realized how popular FIFA is and want in on that. Also if you spend any time on /r/afl you would see there is genuine demand for a game. From the AFLs point of view they could even dev it at a small loss and write it off as promotional material.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

hiddenmovement posted:

It's the soccer paranoia again, they've realized how popular FIFA is and want in on that. Also if you spend any time on /r/afl you would see there is genuine demand for a game. From the AFLs point of view they could even dev it at a small loss and write it off as promotional material.

I would loving love a good AFL game if it ever came up.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
gently caress yeah, there'd be a massive market for it if it was done even remotely competently. But...

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
the only afl game i played was like afl live 2006 and it was just... awful

if you went for a bump there would be like a 50% chance your player would get injured

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
It would probably fail miserably but they should try to make an 18 v 18 multiplayer footy game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only thing I have to say is good on them for at least going to a local dev, the games industry has taken it hard enough already without the AFL farming a game on the local game out to a dev house in Toronto.

Also I think an AFL version of Football Manager could be a good game. Because what talkback, twitter and bigfooty desperately need is people deconstructing coaching staff based on their successful experience in FM2016.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 30, 2016

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

NTRabbit posted:

Also I think an AFL version of Football Manager could be a good game. Because what talkback, twitter and bigfooty desperately need is people deconstructing coaching staff based on their successful experience in FM2016.

You mean you never played Kevin Sheedy AFL Coach!?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NTRabbit posted:

The only thing I have to say is good on them for at least going to a local dev, the games industry has taken it hard enough already without the AFL farming a game on the local game out to a dev house in Toronto.

I feel like this exists, people on bigfooty sometimes do lets plays of it

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It's pretty sad that the most enjoyable AFL game was released back in 97. The two most recent ones are both playable but AFL Live is incredibly flawed and Live 2 is flawed but in different ways.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Finals Fever supremacy

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

AFL live goes one of two ways:

1) You kick a ton of goals extremely easily
2) Tackle - Ball up - Tackle - Ball up x 10000

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

If they do create another game then I'd hope that they'd release it on steam.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Diet Crack posted:

I found getting to the ball just behind your opponent was the best idea, eventually the chain of repeated tackles and spills leaves you with the last guy standing and you can run away

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

AFL Live has constant tackles, Live 2 has defenders teleporting into place to spoil.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Diet Crack posted:

So you can only play against 2015 Carlton or 2005 Sydney?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I remember hex editing AFL Live 2004 to update the players in future seasons. Think I kept it up for a few seasons until I got bored of winning by 100+ pts every match with 5 minute quarters.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I got AFL '98 when it came out, and then about ten years later I fired it up again and went into it cold when I'd forgotten the "knack" and basically got clowned by Alastair Clarkson playing for Melbourne.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sieUAGdvkg

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

When the gently caress did Brad Scott play for Hawthorn

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I got AFL '98 when it came out, and then about ten years later I fired it up again and went into it cold when I'd forgotten the "knack" and basically got clowned by Alastair Clarkson playing for Melbourne.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sieUAGdvkg

Love the stilted Bruce commentary.

I think it goes to show how important the NPC AI has to be to make this game work.

Also a directional disposal method using the right analogue stick on a controller is really needed. Pull back and release for direction and power, trigger/shoulder for kick and handpass.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

When the gently caress did Brad Scott play for Hawthorn

22 games in 1997, says the internet, after he was drafted by Hawthorn for the second time

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Yeah I can't remember which one it was but all I remember from one of the games was as soon as it was ball up, Clarkson would destroy me at every ball up either by injuring my players or drawing a free kick whilst I did nothing.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

thepokey posted:

Clarkson would destroy me at every ball up either by injuring my players or drawing a free kick whilst I did nothing.

Its.. its like Hodge was actually the apprentice all along and we just didnt know there was another..

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Jarryd Roughead will miss the first half of the season with a PCL.

http://m.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2016-01-31/roughead-to-miss-first-half-of-2016

Death to the four-peat.

1927-30 supremacy.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

As long as he's around for the second half.

While I'm here, Can someone dig up that gif of Hird and the squirting syringes?

Also any other stupid poo poo you think belongs in the OP, because it's going up this arvo.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Nutsngum posted:

Its.. its like Hodge was actually the apprentice all along and we just didnt know there was another..

The Jar Jar Hodge theory

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I don't like the Roughy news because he is fun to watch but on the other hand gently caress Hawthorn.

E: It's also good for the Saints cause he will miss our game in round 4 and the Hawks normally start the year slowly so hopefully we can continue to reduce our losing margin against them. There's still no chance we pull off win.

Periphery fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 31, 2016

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Poor guy. I'm amazed he's had the career he's had given that he's snapped an Achilles tendon, had cancer and now this among other small injuries.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/693610091916820480

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

spamman posted:

Poor guy. I'm amazed he's had the career he's had given that he's snapped an Achilles tendon, had cancer and now this among other small injuries.

Yeah imagining a Roughead who spent his entire career 100% healthy or as near as is a frightening prospect.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Edit: wrong thread

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

NEW THREAD

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762410

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Don't have net at home, someone page a mod please.

• Locked thread