Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

elwood posted:

From walking to base camp and back in 3 weeks? I hope not. I'm neither wealthy nor stupid enough to climb that stupid mountain. I'm just walking to base camp have a look around (there will be nothing there really in november), walk up Kalla Patthar for some nice views and turn around back to Lukla.

my grandmother did that exact hike when i was a kid so you should be fine. pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

elwood posted:

This didn't get the attention it deserves in the old thread. It's a slooooooow download though.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll see what I can do about hosting.

I'm really proud to be the first white woman from Texas to make a game based on the misadventures of a south Asian woman from Canada so I'll take a moment to give a bit more context. #Everest is a survival sim about climbing Mt. Everest where your objective is to get the highest score. You are scored based on how many likes the selfies you take in-game get, so you have to balance taking survival gear with dumb bullshit like guitars that will look cool in a picture. I tied the game to the real Twitter account @HashtagEverest so you can tweet all the pictures you take there from the game itself. The game is ~fully voice acted~ and is crammed full of as many retarded references to these threads as I thought I could get away with. It is my love letter to you, Everest death poolers, and it's free, so please check it out! http://slamfighter.com/download

Does anyone know a better solution to hosting the 185MB zip than mediafire?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Xibanya posted:

I'm really proud to be the first white woman from Texas to make a game based on the misadventures of a south Asian woman from Canada so I'll take a moment to give a bit more context. #Everest is a survival sim about climbing Mt. Everest where your objective is to get the highest score. You are scored based on how many likes the selfies you take in-game get, so you have to balance taking survival gear with dumb bullshit like guitars that will look cool in a picture. I tied the game to the real Twitter account @HashtagEverest so you can tweet all the pictures you take there from the game itself. The game is ~fully voice acted~ and is crammed full of as many retarded references to these threads as I thought I could get away with. It is my love letter to you, Everest death poolers, and it's free, so please check it out! http://slamfighter.com/download

This sounds fantastic and I'm not sure how I missed it. Maybe it should be in the OP? I'm going to download it now.

Also, Everest will eat 162 climbers this year.

Happy Hedonist fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 30, 2016

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Each year something worse and worse happens on Everest until eventually it will just be hit by a large meteor

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Each year something worse and worse happens on Everest until eventually it will just be hit by a large meteor

This year:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

So that's where Green Boots went :tinfoil:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

A new thread, a good thread. I'm in for 9 this year in the death pool.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

SaNChEzZ posted:

A new thread, a good thread. I'm in for 9 this year in the death pool.

This is how it starts. Then in April we will have headlines "Millions killed when Mt Everest somehow detaches from the ground and becomes airborne, landing violently on a large metropolitan area"

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xibanya posted:

lmao are you loving serious

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is like when you take that pyf thread of people falling off buildings and run it through a rocky training montage

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Enfield posted:

lmao are you loving serious

Time for the full pitch :eng101:

Get the runtimes
If you don't install the XNA runtimes linked on the download page the game won't work and it's not gonna be my fault.

Get Outfitted

You can't take any more than what you and your three teammates can carry between the four of you. With inventory space limited, bringing one item means leaving another. #Everest is a game of opportunity costs. you must balance your selection of the props that will get your selfies to earn the most likes with the equipment needed to survive the trek to the next great photo op.

Be unique...ish! Change up the colors of your gear and play as either a dude or a lady.
(Voice of Michael A. Zekas)
(Voice of forums poster Xibanya)

Make your mark

Time waits for no mountaineer in the unforgiving altitudes of the mountain locals refer to as "The Holy Mother." Take too long trying to get the perfect selfie and you won't be able to make camp before temperatures plunge at nightfall, but make sure you don't lose your cool because if you forget to pack anything back up, it will be lost on the mountain forever.

There's no garbage collection service on Mt. Everest. Carry your trash with you or dump it on the mountain. It's your choice.

Post selfies

The player character will be posting to their fictional in-game social media accounts throughout the game, but you can choose to post the pictures you take in-game to the player character's real twitter account, @HashtagEverest or connect your own twitter account and post to it through the game! How's that for meta?

Ziggy Starfucker's Guide to Chilling on Mt. Everest

Make sure each character has enough food, half rations reduce your health/stamina regen and running out completely will slowly deplete your health
Most status ailments will go away after enough rest. Having a medical kit in someone's inventory will help, resting at landmarks and especially the camps will help too
Having a sleeping bag for each character and a tent for the whole party increases health and stamina regen while resting
Having lots of crazy and heavy junk in your photo will get more likes and comments. Make sure you retrieve your junk before leaving the photo screen
Water bottles aren't necessary but prevent any chance of dysentery. Having a water treatment kit in someone's inventory reduces the chance of dysentery but doesn't prevent it
Wearing goggles greatly reduces the chance of snowblindness and retinal hemorrhaging, but wearing shutter shades for your photos gives more likes
Climbing around bottlenecks will probably get someone killed, but having climbing harnesses and ascenders equipped reduces the chance. Having fixed lines in someone's inventory and an icepick equipped on at least character helps further
Traveling at night reduces movement speed and increases chance of hypothermia. Try resting at landmarks until daybreak
You can get a rough estimate of your travel speed by looking at the walking animation speed of your party
Blizzards inflict damage and increase the chance of hypothermia and snowblindness unless you rest at a landmark with a tent or at a camp
Prevent/heal hypoxia with a breathing mask and oxygen bottles. By default oxygen use is disabled so you don't burn through your bottles at lower altitudes

:siren:DOWNLOAD IT NOW:siren:

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 12, 2016

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
It's really the Xbox one of mountains

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
:yikes:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
add this to op thanks

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
btw to whoever is playing now, not sure if you know this but you can move the people around and you get points by having the items in the picture. If they're in your inventory when you take the picture they don't add anything to your score.

https://twitter.com/HashtagEverest/status/693495122793750529

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
u think an1 ever j@cked 0ff on mt everet? lol!!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Nooner posted:

u think an1 ever j@cked 0ff on mt everet? lol!!!

:eyepop:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Xibanya posted:

Time for the full pitch :eng101:

Added to the OP

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you cant cut back on sherpas! you will regret this!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Rondette posted:

Added to the OP

Awesome, thanks! Also can you add the download link? It's http://slamfighter.com/download

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

excited for a new year and a new thread about my favorite bug zapper for rich people

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Oil of Paris posted:

It's really the Xbox one of mountains
the mountain shark tank thread

these peoples are climbing the WRONG KIND of mountain! instead, they should climb a good kind of mountain, like, K-2

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Chaps I don't want to sound schoolmarmish here but the posting itt looks to be motivated by envy and schadenfreude..which are natural initial reactions to the death of someone better off than you but I think quite damaging psychologically if they are indulged too often or too far (eg to the extent of making a computer game). So for your own mental benefit I'd suggest giving this thread a wide berth. And before you say it - yes, its all quite different to the post i made just now about a poster who died yesterday.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i think it's hosed up that retards have money to go climb on everest. anyway, i think i can probably hike up to base camp for only 5k

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
By the way I'm gonna put my money on 15 dead this year. A little more modest than previous years; my thought is that Everest will use this year to get everyone's guard down so that next year it can consume even more hapless climbers than before.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i wish the OP died on the mountain :sigh:

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 8, 2016

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Enfield posted:

this is like when you take that pyf thread of people falling off buildings and run it through a rocky training montage

that doesnt sound kosher at all

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

blainestereo posted:

that doesnt sound kosher at all

im goy

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
Are we death pooling already? Put me down for 8.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
a nice 11 here for me

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
im betting 69 :q::mrgw::q::q::mrgw::q::q::mrgw::q::q::mrgw::q::q::mrgw::q:

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
I'm in for 1.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Xibanya posted:

By the way I'm gonna put my money on 15 dead this year. A little more modest than previous years; my thought is that Everest will use this year to get everyone's guard down so that next year it can consume even more hapless climbers than before.

I'm going for 6. Same prize from me as last year, I'll draw you atop the mountain! I'm eagerly awaiting BaronVonVaderham's photo to do his!

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

And then the people who would otherwise die up there will be really upset that the impact lowered its elevation.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anoia posted:

And then the people who would otherwise die up there will be really upset that the impact lowered its elevation.

It'll become lower than K2 and people will march endlessly into the gnashing, entrail-encrusted teeth of the true meat grinder :kheldragar:

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
I'll take 4.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
No but for real you think anyone ever jacked it up there?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I imagine the orgasim would be intense, like those dudes who like to choke themselves and their chickens at the same time, ya know? Cause there is less oxygen up there and poo poo, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

everest is a disgusting, morbid deathtrap of a tourist destination and if I were ruler of the world i would shut it down so stupid idiots would stop littering their dumb corpses and garbage all over the mountain.