Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Welcome to the Miscellaneous Auto Racing Megathread of 2016. This is the place to discuss racing that isn’t NASCAR, F1, or Indycar. Mainly it’s been WeatherTech Championship Series or the World Endurance Championship or British Touring Car Championship. Other stuff is welcome like all the GT3 championships in the world (Pirelli World Challenge, Blancpain, regional GT3 championships), WTCC, Formula E, what have you.

Racing Series’

This is the premier that all of the manufactures want to compete in and win. This is the 4th year under the FIA this championship is running with . New race this year is in Mexico City which doesn't help the struggling COTA circuit on top of F1 going to Mexico as well. Classes include LMP1, LMP2, GTE-Pro, GTE-Am. In LMP1, last year Porsche and Audi started out dominant but after Le Mans and a big penalty they got, Audi became 2nd fiddle to Porsche while Toyota went from the top straight to the bottom this year but have a chance to get back up after VW Dieselgate which have hurt both Audi's and Porsche's racing funds. Nissan looked to a be a wild new concept, was probably shown to upper brass of Nissan then was thrown into the trash. LMP2 has seen a drop down in the amount since it’s much cheaper and easier on the teams to run the ELMS. But Le Mans is when you get a big swarm of them and actually is decent to watch. I and many others question the new regs for next year where it'll be spec engine and 4 chassis. GTE=Pro and Am is business as usual with many teams and a couple manufactures having their big dogs running for the championship and many fans crying Corvette isn’t running full time.

Schedule

25/26 March: The Prologue, Circuit Paul Ricard, France

17 April: 6 Hours of Silverstone, GBR

07 May: WEC 6 Hours of Spa, BEL

05 June: 24 Hours of Le Mans Test Day

18/19 June: 24 Hours of Le Mans, FRA

24 July: 6 Hours of Nürburgring, DEU

04 September: 6 Hours of Mexico City

17 September: 6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas (Lone Star Le Mans), USA

16 October: 6 Hours of Fuji, JPN

06 November: 6 Hours of Shanghai, CHN

19 November: 6 Hours of Bahrain, BAH

The European Le Mans Series has seemed to make a recovery from being on its deathbed to being a respectable series. Helps having a super strong LMP2 count since it’s the cheaper alternative for teams to run this series and Le Mans rather than go everywhere with the WEC. With the driver ranking system allowing a silver or bronze driver in the car, it makes guys who have wads of cash from their totally respectable, not breaking any laws whatsoever businesses and race fast cars. Also GTE Pro which are the GTE cars and GTE Am cars which are the GT3 cars. .

Schedule
March 29-30 — Prologue (Paul Ricard)
April 15-16 — Silverstone
May 13-15 — Imola
July 15-17 — Red Bull Ring
Aug. 26-28 — Paul Ricard
Sept. 23-25 — Spa-Francorchamps
October 21-23 — Estoril

The 3rd Season of WTSC, IMSA, whatever you want to call it. Lots of controversy, bitching, complaining, trolling by Jordan Taylor, and what not kept us pretty focused on what this season will bring us... again. Last year the Daytona Prototypes, to be specific the Corvette DP, dominated all of last year again. P2 teams are still looking for the breaks so they can be a little more competitive to the DPs and looking at Mike Shank’s team, looks like they’re doing better again, though the Mazda could prove to be competitive with a gas racing engine and Honda getting a .5L jump. This will be the final year of Daytona Prototypes before they transfer to the Daytona Prototype Int'l regs which are using the 2017 LMP2 chassis' but manufactures can make their own bodywork on the car and their own engine, most significantly GT3 engines. LMPC cars are dwindling and good reason since they were complete dumbasses on level with Ferrari albeit Core Autosport kicked everyone's rear end again. GTLM continues on with the strongest manufacture presence in it’s class with Ford jumping in with the help of stalwart sportscar team Chip Ganassi. GTD has switched to full on GT3 this year but the manufacture's have to pay a fee for their car to qualify. Porsche, Audi, Lamborghini, Dodge, Ferrari, Aston Martin, and BMW.

Schedule
Jan. 30-31 Rolex 24 At Daytona (All) Daytona International Speedway – Daytona Beach, Florida
March 19 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida (All) Sebring International Raceway – Sebring, Florida
April 16 Tequila Patrón Sports Car Showcase at Long Beach (P, PC, GTLM) Long Beach Street Circuit – Long Beach, California
May 1 Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix (All) Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca – Monterey, California
June 4 Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix (P, PC, GTD) Belle Isle Park – Detroit, Michigan
July 3 Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen (All) Watkins Glen International – Watkins Glen, New York
July 10 Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix presented by Hawk Performance (All) Canadian Tire Motorsport Park – Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
July 23 Northeast Grand Prix (PC, GTLM, GTD) Lime Rock Park – Lakeville, Connecticut
Aug. 7 Continental Tire Road Race Showcase (All) Road America – Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
Aug. 21 Oak Tree Grand Prix (GTLM, GTD) VIRginia International Raceway – Alton, Virginia
Sept. 17 Lone Star Le Mans (All) Circuit of The Americas – Austin, Texas
Oct. 1 Petit Le Mans powered by Mazda (All) Road Atlanta – Braselton, Georgia

I'm going to do the rest of this in due time... I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Reserved for other stuff.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Rally summary: WRC is boring, watch ERC instead.

WRC Schedule
22 - 24 January: Monte-Carlo
12 - 14 February: Sweden
4 - 6 March: Mexico
22 - 24 April: Argentina
20 - 22 May: Portugal
10 - 12 June: Italy
1 - 3 July: Poland
29 - 31 July: Finland
19 - 21 August: Germany
9 - 11 September: China
30 September - 2 October: France
14 - 16 October: Spain
28 - 30 October: Great Britain
18 - 20 November: Australia

ERC Schedule
5 - 7 February: Rally Liepāja (Latvia, gravel/ice/snow)
11 - 13 March: Rally Islas Canarias (asphalt)
7 - 9 April: Circuit of Ireland Rally (Northern Ireland, asphalt)
6 - 8 May: SEAJETS Acropolis Rally (Greece, gravel)
2 - 4 June: SATA Rallye Açores (Portugal, gravel)
23 - 25 June: Kenotek by CID LINES Ypres Rally (Belgium, asphalt)
15 - 17 July: auto24 Rally Estonia (gravel)
5 - 7 August: Rajd Rzeszowski (Poland, asphalt)
26 - 28 August: Barum Czech Rally Zlín (Czech Republic, asphalt)
24 - 25 September: Cyprus Rally (gravel/asphalt)
20 - 22 October: Rallye International du Valais (Switzerland, asphalt)

Jehde fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 1, 2016

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Until then watch Continental Tire Challenge. drat this stuff is good already.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This Geordie commentator is awesome.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

CBJSprague24 posted:

This Geordie commentator is awesome.

I could listen to John Hindhaugh call rush hour traffic

e: I hope the Rolex 24 is half as awesome as the BMW200 was

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CactusWeasle posted:

I could listen to John Hindhaugh call rush hour traffic

e: I hope the Rolex 24 is half as awesome as the BMW200 was

Wut a greh-t battle we 'ad 'ere at Dey-tooona in the BMW Peh-fohmence two hoon-dred.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jehde posted:

Rally summary: WRC is boring, watch ERC instead.

This is good advice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hindaugh is a treasure.

I'll work on a JGTC Super GT write-up later, especially if new Japanese Autosport has any details.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Kind of annoyed that they aren't showing the first two hours on fox like last year, that was nice to see some hd action before resorting to crappy streams.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I didn't realise Daytona wasn't gonna be on Motors TV here in the UK so I'm bodging together a computer to play it on my TV instead of my tiny laptop screen like I usually end up doing. Is #nascar the official IRC channel for us to idle in while watching?

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Kind of annoyed that they aren't showing the first two hours on fox like last year, that was nice to see some hd action before resorting to crappy streams.

It's going to start on Fox Sports 1 right?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yep!

SATURDAY, JAN. 30

-- IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Rolex 24 at Daytona, Daytona Beach, Florida; 2 p.m.-4 p.m., Fox Sports 1 (L)

-- IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Rolex 24 at Daytona, Daytona Beach, FL; 4 p.m.-10 p.m., Fox Sports 2 (L)

Overnight coverage on imsa.tv

SUNDAY, JAN. 31

-- IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Rolex 24 at Daytona, Daytona Beach, FL; 7 a.m.-8 a.m., Fox Sports 1 (L)

-- IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Rolex 24 at Daytona, Daytona Beach, FL; 8 a.m.-9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m., Fox Sports 2 (L)

-- IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Rolex 24 at Daytona, Daytona Beach, FL; 1 p.m.-3 p.m., Fox Sports 1 (L)

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/imsa/tv-schedule-2016-rolex-24-daytona-tv#ixzz3ykXzWSuO

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Reminder of the better T&S link:

https://livescoring.us/2016/imsa01/scoring.php

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tony Kanaan says green flag at 2:10 p.m., Jordan Taylor says 2:40 p.m. Which is it?

jammyozzy posted:

I didn't realise Daytona wasn't gonna be on Motors TV here in the UK so I'm bodging together a computer to play it on my TV instead of my tiny laptop screen like I usually end up doing. Is #nascar the official IRC channel for us to idle in while watching?

That's the channel I was going to use since I think it's typically the go to channel.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Spotters guide for today:

http://www.spotterguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/SG_16_DAY_v3.pdf

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

thanks dude, that's super helpful for this race especially

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I think I'm down for some Daytona 24. Gotta figure out a way to watch on my tablet...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

I think I'm down for some Daytona 24. Gotta figure out a way to watch on my tablet...

there's a fox sports go app isn't there?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

We've got some stream options in IRC if people need em, btw

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cygni posted:

We've got some stream options in IRC if people need em, btw

Help a brotha out!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

C'mon in: https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#nascar@irc.synirc.net

Also, Honda's going to stink up P. :drat:

And we're going to have like 15 hours of Ad Council PSAs, aren't we? I was just bombarded by that loving Love Has No Labels ad, backed up by Explore the Forest with the talking deer and then the kids going to Central Park. :fuckoff:

e- Briscoe gon' Briscoe :lol:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 30, 2016

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

One of the Mazdas just lost power. We're going to have a hell of an attrition rate for this race.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

CBJSprague24 posted:

C'mon in: https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#nascar@irc.synirc.net

Also, Honda's going to stink up P. :drat:

And we're going to have like 15 hours of Ad Council PSAs, aren't we? I was just bombarded by that loving Love Has No Labels ad, backed up by Explore the Forest with the talking deer and then the kids going to Central Park. :fuckoff:

e- Briscoe gon' Briscoe :lol:

Thank you!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
gently caress yeah delta wing, hope you can keep up the pace and not get taken out by a Ferrari!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Ford and Ferrari paint schemes are pissing me the gently caress off

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Ford and Ferrari paint schemes are pissing me the gently caress off

Watch them constantly fight each other all race.

Also am I crazy or does the delta car look like a dick and balls draped lovingly in an American flag?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Sitting here in the Media Center here at DIS. I'm very impressed with Kat Legge in the Deltawing, :laffo: at Briscoe, not surprised at the Mazda Prototypes overheating.

Next stop, the roof

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Watch them constantly fight each other all race.

Also am I crazy or does the delta car look like a dick and balls draped lovingly in an American flag?

No it looks like a giant Cock and balls flying around the track

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Before I went to Staples, somebody in IRC asked how the 02 was going to somehow win this race.

Well, when the two Hondas who appeared to be ridiculously fast cancel each other out...

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

I only just found out a woman is on track (awesome!) and she drives the most phallic car as well

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
That M6 GTLM looks beefy as hell, I love it.

Edit: apart from tyre failures obviously

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

What happened to the Ford GT Ecoboosts?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Jonny Nox posted:

What happened to the Ford GT Ecoboosts?

Electrical issues for both of em it looks like.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

geonetix posted:

I only just found out a woman is on track (awesome!) and she drives the most phallic car as well

There is also a lady, Ashley Freiberg, driving the M6 GTLM for IGH Rewards Club (the yellow/blue livery M6)

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

GramCracker posted:

There is also a lady, Ashley Freiberg, driving the M6 GTLM for IGH Rewards Club (the yellow/blue livery M6)

Also Christina Nielsen in the 63 Ferrari and Sabine Schmitz in the 30 Porsche both in GTD.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Electrical issues for both of em it looks like.

Electrical issues for the #11 as well, I asked T Bell himself

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

Electrical issues for the #11 as well, I asked T Bell himself
We've got our pit reporter for our future Twitch commentary stream !!!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I know the deltawang is a special class type thing, but I thought that prototypes were meant to have covered wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

track day bro! posted:

I know the deltawang is a special class type thing, but I thought that prototypes were meant to have covered wheels?

Well current lmp rules need to have openings on the fenders.

Oh welp

• Locked thread