Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

I think they're both town you dumb dumb

What are you even replying to here? I'm not talking about Samfu because you didn't say you'd vote him. :psyduck:

Kashuno posted:

right now, I think you're scum. Your handling of your cop investigations is horrendous and not town positive in any way. I know you're not going to agree, but I could really give a poo poo less what you think.Not feeling good about SSV right now either. I cooled on KK because the amount of tunneling is just dumb over the top obvious if he is scum, so therefore he is much more likely to be town. I don't find samfu particularly scummy and involved in a stupid pissing match with KK.

Kashuno posted:

In fact, right now I'd vote out eitheer of you just so we can keep playing mafia.

You said you think KK is most likely to be town in the first post and in the next one you say you'd vote him just to keep playing mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

the idea that active posters are scum isn't something I've ruled out.

When we kill Sam, and if he flips town, then that means we'll have 5 players left. Either the scum will kill lurkers or active players, and that will narrow it down anyways.

The only one I'm sure of is scum is Sam, and I have one vote, and he's done nothing pro-town.

Although Kash defending Sam is interesting to think about

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Khris Kruel posted:

oh shut the gently caress up, your theories have been way worse this game, especially the ones around the lynch

since everyone thinks I'm "scummy" there's literally no reason to kill me. They would try to lynch me.

I thought it was pretty stupid to kill two lurkers, imo. Which makes me think the scum are the active players. Which means Sam is scum.

I think I misread your other post :shobon:

TMMadman posted:

What are you even replying to here? I'm not talking about Samfu because you didn't say you'd vote him. :psyduck:

You said you think KK is most likely to be town in the first post and in the next one you say you'd vote him just to keep playing mafia.

And you misread mine. Either refers to KK or Samfu, sorry.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khris Kruel posted:

I don't want to kill lurkers, I want to kill Sam

Nice try, pay attention

I am paying attention. You've said you think Sam is scum but if he ends up being town, you think it's the lurkers. So you seem to be completely ruling out the active posters.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Kashuno posted:

No one knows you're town except you dude, leaving you alive is an easy choice for scum because your tunneling bullshit is sus as gently caress and they can just chill and wait. Your logic doesn't follow at all, it's just you trying to build a narrative to suit your slapfight.

And here we are again, a second day where it's basically you, me, TMM, and Samfu doing all the talking. Scum loses nothing by keeping you alive, even if Samfu is scum.

that's fine that I'm the only one to think I'm town, but I'm not going to entertain an idea that I'm scum, because I know I'm not

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I am paying attention. You've said you think Sam is scum but if he ends up being town, you think it's the lurkers. So you seem to be completely ruling out the active posters.

I would look at lurkers, but if the scum kills them during the night, I wouldn't be. I'm not ruling out active posters, but I'd rather worry about it after day 2

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Khris Kruel posted:

that's fine that I'm the only one to think I'm town, but I'm not going to entertain an idea that I'm scum, because I know I'm not

I need a game where you and TMM are both scum :allears:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khris Kruel posted:

I would look at lurkers, but if the scum kills them during the night, I wouldn't be. I'm not ruling out active posters, but I'd rather worry about it after day 2

This is the dumbest logic I've ever loving heard.

Tomorrow is lylo unless we hit scum today. I don't think Samfu is scum and although I could be wrong, I'm not inclined to vote for him at this time. If Samfu was scum, he could have easily moved his vote to a town Hal yesterday and gotten a way easier lynch.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Khris Kruel posted:

the idea that active posters are scum isn't something I've ruled out.

When we kill Sam, and if he flips town, then that means we'll have 5 players left. Either the scum will kill lurkers or active players, and that will narrow it down anyways.

The only one I'm sure of is scum is Sam, and I have one vote, and he's done nothing pro-town.

Although Kash defending Sam is interesting to think about

Or you know, scum will kill me (the cop and an active poster) and a lurker just so that you have no idea what's going on.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 2

Samfucius (1): Khris Kruel, Khris Kruel, Khris Kruel
TMMadman (1): Khris Kruel, Khris Kruel, Tommunist
Kashuno (1): TMMadman
Khris Kruel (0): Samfucius, Samfucius

Not Voting (5): imgay, Kashuno, Samfucius, SirSamVimes, spacing in vienna

With 8 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is February 01st, 2016 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 day, 9 hours.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

TMMadman posted:

Or you know, scum will kill me (the cop and an active poster) and a lurker just so that you have no idea what's going on.

good, I don't have to hear your bullshit tomorrow

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

TMMadman posted:

This is the dumbest logic I've ever loving heard.

Tomorrow is lylo unless we hit scum today. I don't think Samfu is scum and although I could be wrong, I'm not inclined to vote for him at this time. If Samfu was scum, he could have easily moved his vote to a town Hal yesterday and gotten a way easier lynch.

he got the Hal lynch without moving his vote, you have the shittiest logic

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Shut the gently caress up so the lurkers can post more. This has gotten farcical.

Tomm and SSV, what's good?

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Samfucius posted:

Shut the gently caress up so the lurkers can post more. This has gotten farcical.

Tomm and SSV, what's good?

how about you post an original thought, dumbass.

You haven't given any thoughts about anyone besides me and TMM. Tell us what you think about everyone in the game

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find this whole exhange to be a fanciful waste of time. Also wowee isn't it almost time for tmm to post his results

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I can hardly wait.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

imgay posted:

I find this whole exhange to be a fanciful waste of time. Also wowee isn't it almost time for tmm to post his results

he did, he got town on me

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

right now, I think you're scum. Your handling of your cop investigations is horrendous and not town positive in any way. I know you're not going to agree, but I could really give a poo poo less what you think.Not feeling good about SSV right now either. I cooled on KK because the amount of tunneling is just dumb over the top obvious if he is scum, so therefore he is much more likely to be town. I don't find samfu particularly scummy and involved in a stupid pissing match with KK.

Here's the thing: I think if TMM was scum, he'd claim to have exonerated some townie he likes, or claim that he got a scum read on KK -- I don't think he'd undermine his own claim by going "okay, I got town on him BUT I STILL THINK HE IS SCUM."

I just think he's playing badly (because: TMM).

TMMadman posted:

Also, why in the hell would lurking scum kill lurkers? It doesn't make sense because lurking scum almost always want the game to continue lurking. I think it's way more likely that scum are active posters in this game.

As scum, I kill lurkers because (a) gently caress lurkers and (b) it gives fewer hints as to drawing connections between players. I often get outvoted on that, though.

As scum I also don't lurk, because I'm generally a talkative person as scum or town, and it'd be super noticeable if I faded into the background.

There is nothing that scum universally Do or Don't Do. it's all WIFOM.

If Samfu and KK are both town, then scum are just sitting back and letting them slapfight.

imgay, what's up with you this game?

Okay I have an idea for helping the thread get active again, hrm.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

I think scum killing lurkers just means the scum is dumb more than anything

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Khris Kruel posted:

I think scum killing lurkers just means the scum is dumb more than anything

Who do you push to kill when you're scum?

This is curiosity, not related to the current game. Everyone has different reasons for who they off, and I like hearing other peoples' reasons. (Also I have been NK'd N1 in like 2 games in a row, and I'm always curious why I was a target.)

I'm working on a huge effing megapost in the meantime; nearly done.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I originally had this as a wall-o-text but that seems loving insane so I broke it into chunks. I just did a huge re-read of everyone, individually, and pulled out a few things I want to ask each of you about. I used the list in the OP and that's what the order is, here, in case you are all wondering, so let's start with imgay.

imgay loudly complained in his intro post about not being scum, which people assumed was LAMIST on his part. imgay, you were sure Hal was scum on D1 -- why? Who's your best read now? And what's with the worse-than-usual typing?

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
kash, you thought imgay was scum D1. Do you still? Do you believe TMM's cop claim? Your progression from thinking KK was scum to believing him to be townie feels legit to me, and not like you forced the process along.

Kashuno posted:

I think between you tunneling on Samfu, and TMM being a moron, we are going to ignore other people who are likely to lurk by to victory.

Kashuno posted:

In fact, right now I'd vote out eitheer of you just so we can keep playing mafia.

Don't resign yourself to offing someone who is slapfighting if you aren't sure that one of them is scum. Go re-read people who you feel are lurking and see if anything jumps out at you. Who's your best read right now?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Killing lurkers doesn't mean scum are dumb, it means they have a sense of sportsmanship.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Khris Kruel posted:

just to clarify because I don't want to edit, the third vote on someone random is always scum. Not that he was the third person to vote in the thread or something

BTW, KK, I've been assuming you were being obnoxious and overstating things to stir discussion, and that includes pushing old maxims like "THIRD VOTE = SCUM." Is that what you were doing?

It's also possible that you came in big because you are, in fact, the godfather, and wanted to draw attention so the cop would focus on you. merk pulled that gambit in a previous game (where I was the cop, and felt dumb for falling for it).

Are your reads really just "samfu OR a lurker"? It's hard to say who's lurking at this point, given we had two deaths and two replacements, and I'm sure people are getting burned out on the slapfighting.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Killing lurkers doesn't mean scum are dumb, it means they have a sense of sportsmanship.

:hfive:

more fun to win when you beat the people who are actually playing.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
SSV you haven't given many reads at all. You've said you don't know if you believe TMM -- thus saying you don't believe him or disbelieve him -- and you're pushing to get either KK or Samfu lynched because you think the clusterfuck is distracting, not because you're sure that one of the two of them is scum. It seems like you've got justifications for your potential votes, more than reasons, if that makes sense?

I'm getting a neutral vibe on you right now, which concerns me, because I generally assume you're town-as-gently caress even when you're scum. It may just be because you just replaced it, but it's worth noting anyway.

(We still bros.)

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Tomm you've also shrugged and said you're not sure what anyone might be. You spent your first several posts explaining that TMM does this a lot, and is probably town, and then backtracked to talking yourself into voting him. It doesn't read like authentic reasoning. Why did you change your mind?

It doesn't help your case that I didn't like Rarity's posting D1, but I can't really ask you about that. :shrug:

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Samfu why did you claim VT with no reasoning or pressure? On a reread I still just don't like some of your posts, like:

Samfucius posted:

D1 cop claim under no pressure, wowie zowie.

how bizarrely flat and neutral this is, as well as:

Samfucius posted:

I'm not scum and that lynch ain't happening

how confident you are here, and there's also:

Samfucius posted:

How do you feel about this now?

(in re: KK saying you and Opop were scumbros, which feels like "Hey, look! Opop was town, therefore I probably am, too" which is lovely logic at its finest.)

But this explanation:

Samfucius posted:

Any time someone votes me I have to take an extra second to make sure I'm not OMGUS'ing. That's really all it was, "is he being scummy or is he just accidentally voting for town?"

You know.

I can actually see this, and it's giving me pause. I can't tell if your phrasing is just seeming awkward and forced to me, or if you're being awkward and forced. You posted much more D1 than today, and you unvoted KK, so who do you think is scum now?

(And do I win a prize for the secret word? I didn't get a prize. :smith: )

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
TMM your behavior is weirdly inconsistent, as scum, town, OR third-party, so I'm not even sure why I'm typing this up, but here we go.

TMMadman posted:

Chances are I'm not going to pick out the scum in the group, but my investigation will clear someone.

You people seriously don't think outside of the box.

What bugs me here is that yesterday you were pushing hard how reliable your results would be and how unlikely it was that you'd hit the GF, and how everyone reminding you that mafia is more than the sum of its investigation / night results was TRYING TO DISCREDIT A COP!!! .... and then you get a result you don't like, sit on it for a while, and announce that clearly you found the GF, without seeming to spot any hypocrisy to that whatsoever.

Why investigate KK if you were going to vote him whether he came up "town" or "scum"?

TMMadman posted:

There we go, that's the scum vote.

Every time scum try this on me and it doesn't work.

##vote Samfu

Were you serious about this, or was this a "vote someone to spur discussion" move? If so, I think you'd give KK less of a hard time for essentially doing the same thing. Also, you pushed Sam again at the end of D1 while loudly saying that you felt either KK or Kash were the scum, and while making detailed cases against Rarity. When Sam might actually gain momentum, you shifted, with the reasoning:

TMMadman posted:

Nah. I've decided that I'm going to believe his VT claim since I think people should believe my cop claim.

This seems like you're coming up with an excuse to move your vote away from Sam, not like a legitimate mental process. Especially since you voted Sam twice beforehand, and proceed to announce point-blank that you won't vote him as we tick down to deadline:

TMMadman posted:

I'm not switching to Sam.

You haven't mentioned him at all today, except to say that a scum Sam would have lynched Hal (and ... we did lynch Hal, just without his help, so I'm not sure that's the exoneration you think it is.) Why are you defending him? Just because you decided to believe his claim? You've never given an actual reason for your change of heart.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

spacing in vienna posted:

Tomm you've also shrugged and said you're not sure what anyone might be. You spent your first several posts explaining that TMM does this a lot, and is probably town, and then backtracked to talking yourself into voting him. It doesn't read like authentic reasoning. Why did you change your mind?

It doesn't help your case that I didn't like Rarity's posting D1, but I can't really ask you about that. :shrug:

The more I went on the more tmm convinced me to go with my gut. As I said, it's early days and it not like there isn't a possibility of changing my vote.

I can't do much about raritys posting.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I'm going to go back to sleep now

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Who do you push to kill when you're scum?

This is curiosity, not related to the current game. Everyone has different reasons for who they off, and I like hearing other peoples' reasons. (Also I have been NK'd N1 in like 2 games in a row, and I'm always curious why I was a target.)

I'm working on a huge effing megapost in the meantime; nearly done.

I would go for the balance of "everyone thinks their town" and active poster. Even town lurkers are hindrance to the town, while scummy active posters have too much WIFOM to kill.

Depends on the situation, but all things being equal, I go for the middle of the road players

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

BTW, KK, I've been assuming you were being obnoxious and overstating things to stir discussion, and that includes pushing old maxims like "THIRD VOTE = SCUM." Is that what you were doing?

It's also possible that you came in big because you are, in fact, the godfather, and wanted to draw attention so the cop would focus on you. merk pulled that gambit in a previous game (where I was the cop, and felt dumb for falling for it).

Are your reads really just "samfu OR a lurker"? It's hard to say who's lurking at this point, given we had two deaths and two replacements, and I'm sure people are getting burned out on the slapfighting.

I started the third vote = scum thing. It was based on IRC when we would play hundreds of games quickly. It's not really true, but it's just a way to piss everyone off and get discussion started. This was way back in 2008. I hate the joke vote phase and usually come up with some new fresh way to get discussion started in games. Sam's reaction to it was of course OMGUS, which is scummy as hell.

I don't discuss scenarios where I'm scum, because I have information you don't. You can if you want though, I don't blame ya.

I don't think we really have any lurkers in Day 2. I'm not confident who I think the 2nd scum is, it's not something I really think about until day 3 where the field is narrowed down. Sam being scum with half the field is definitely viable in scenarios, especially with so many defending him when he has done nothing townie at all in the game.

Also you asked why you get killed during N1. It's because you are a very good poster with the right mindset for this type of game, and everyone thinks you're town. You are definitely a thorn in scum's side if you are not scum

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Samfu why did you claim VT with no reasoning or pressure? On a reread I still just don't like some of your posts, like:

how bizarrely flat and neutral this is, as well as:

how confident you are here, and there's also:

(in re: KK saying you and Opop were scumbros, which feels like "Hey, look! Opop was town, therefore I probably am, too" which is lovely logic at its finest.)

But this explanation:

I can actually see this, and it's giving me pause. I can't tell if your phrasing is just seeming awkward and forced to me, or if you're being awkward and forced. You posted much more D1 than today, and you unvoted KK, so who do you think is scum now?

(And do I win a prize for the secret word? I didn't get a prize. :smith: )

My tone is probably just throwing you off. That's the unfortunate side effect of text-only communication, but that's okay.

I believe TMM so he and KK are off the hook today barring crazy developments. If you're both scum, you sure fooled me.

Out of everyone else you and imgay are my biggest scum reads. Imgay is, weirdly enough, not shitposting enough. He could be bored or distracted but my past games with him tell me he generally posts a good deal more than this. Besides from some Hal stuff he hasn't really done anything. Your recent effort posts (like this one) are making me second guess that though.

I really hate replacements because I never know what to think about them, it resets my reads.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tommunist posted:

The more I went on the more tmm convinced me to go with my gut. As I said, it's early days and it not like there isn't a possibility of changing my vote.

I can't do much about raritys posting.

Do you think he's scum, or just acting scummy? I feel like a scum tmm would not reluctantly announce that kk was town but continue to case him. I realize that's heading down the path of wifom.

Khris Kruel posted:

I would go for the balance of "everyone thinks their town" and active poster. Even town lurkers are hindrance to the town, while scummy active posters have too much WIFOM to kill.

Depends on the situation, but all things being equal, I go for the middle of the road players

Yeah, I never nk someone that I can possibly discredit and get lynched. I'm speaking in general terms, obviously, because scum is a team sport and those negotiations are always fascinating.

I appreciate the compliment but I'm p sure I suck at mafia -- I can reason out cases that seem logical, and draw conclusions, and I'm usually wrong, that's a townie whoops gj self! :downs: It's fun, though.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Do you think he's scum, or just acting scummy? I feel like a scum tmm would not reluctantly announce that kk was town but continue to case him. I realize that's heading down the path of wifom.

i woulnd't be voting for him if i didn't believe at this point that he was scum.

I'm not gonna comment on tmm scum meta because zzzzzzzz

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

like i havn't played a million games with TMM, i don't know his inner workings and exact style when hes scum

but things hes saying and the way hes posting seems generally scummy to me

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Samfucius posted:

My tone is probably just throwing you off. That's the unfortunate side effect of text-only communication, but that's okay.

I believe TMM so he and KK are off the hook today barring crazy developments. If you're both scum, you sure fooled me.

Out of everyone else you and imgay are my biggest scum reads. Imgay is, weirdly enough, not shitposting enough. He could be bored or distracted but my past games with him tell me he generally posts a good deal more than this. Besides from some Hal stuff he hasn't really done anything. Your recent effort posts (like this one) are making me second guess that though.

I really hate replacements because I never know what to think about them, it resets my reads.

I got nailed repeatedly my first few Mafia games because I tend to speak in ways that come across as equivocating, like my natural tendency would be to go "I feel slightly like X is scum, but that could be because of Y, so I'm not sure" ... which obviously comes off as me trying to leave wiggle room and not have strong opinions. I had to train myself to stop doing that in these threads.

I'm getting such a weird vibe from imgay, and I don't know what's up with that.

Why am I your biggest scum read? My tone's sucked p hard this game, if it's that. There's some crappy RL poo poo going on with me, which I say just to explain why I might seem different, not as a pity grab / excuse. You wanna vote me, s'all good. Just curious.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, I spent a few hours in urgent care today because I got paranoid that my sprained wrist might have actually been a hairline fracture, but the good news is there is no break! :)

Then I was dealing with the Soldiers game and watching the NHL All Star game.

Now I'm eating dinner, but I"ll see about making some posts in a little while. And yes, I will directly answer your post about me spacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tommunist posted:

i woulnd't be voting for him if i didn't believe at this point that he was scum.

I'm not gonna comment on tmm scum meta because zzzzzzzz

I didn't mean that as accusatory, btw. Just that sometimes I catch myself voting for someone because "wow, what that person did is illogical and stupid and awful, they HAVE to be scum" and then realize I buy their claim but think they went about it badly, which means they wouldn't actually be scum in that scenario, if you're following the awful logical choo choo train.

• Locked thread