Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Soricidus posted:

does os x even support numa at all yet? i mean i guess there's no real reason for it to, because unlike linux (or even windows) it's basically not used for high-performance computing

there were a bunch of mac pro models based on 2-socket qpi interconnect xeon with memory slots attached to both sockets, so yes, it does support numa. how well, idk, you probably don't need to do much to run acceptably on a 2-socket numa machine

pram posted:

there is not a single mac model with more than one cpu

this is true now, but only because they went wacky on their latest mac pro and restricted it to just one cpu socket in favor of focusing on gpu compute on dual gpus

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BobHoward posted:

they went wacky on their latest mac pro

though it's nice if you have unlimited money and want a tiny workstation to install windows on

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 31, 2016

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

that works for getting the basic number of cores available, but it doesn't help if you want more detailed info like how many physical cpu packages are installed, how many real cores vs hyperthreading, the clock speed, etc...

if you ever have a concern as this information, simply install websphere process server and an ibm gremlin will shortly arrive to let you know

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I've got a machine under my desk at work that says otherwise. 12 cores in two packages.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Linux has a NUMA API and Windows has a similar beast for walking the entire tree of sockets, cores, processors, and threads.

The number of physical installed, online, and active CPUs can be different.

i use the windows api now, but even with the msdn sample code it's just ugly and overcomplicated for what it does.

i never knew about the numa linux api, but it look like it just counts processors by walking the /sys/devices/system/cpu tree like i'm already doing, except i'm pulling more information than the api gives you.

quote:

numa_num_configured_cpus() returns the number of cpus in the system. This count includes any cpus that are currently disabled. This count is derived from the cpu numbers in /sys/devices/system/cpu. If the kernel is configured without /sys (CONFIG_SYSFS=n) then it falls back to using the number of online cpus.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

I've got a machine under my desk at work that says otherwise. 12 cores in two packages.

text me

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Mac pro has two cpus. What on earth are you talking about? :psyduck:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you people are not only retarded but also incredibly lazy

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

pram posted:

you people are not only retarded but also incredibly lazy

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro

:pram:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

nice

i guess my current workstation is pretty much equivalent to 4 top-end mac pros then. glad i chose to stick with a pc.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

nice

i guess my current workstation is pretty much equivalent to 4 top-end mac pros then. glad i chose to stick with a pc.

you have 48 cores?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

you have 48 cores?

24, which is 4x what pram's been advertising. you don't expect me to actually research the truth for myself do you?!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

The Mac pro has two cpus. What on earth are you talking about? :psyduck:

how long have you been living under a rock?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

carry on then posted:

you have 48 cores?

don't you? i thought that was pretty standard by now

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Soricidus posted:

nice

the mac pro is ideal for people with desk space-constrained use cases

however, anyone who would buy a mac pro has enough money to just buy a bigger desk anyway

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

blowfish posted:

the mac pro is ideal for people with desk space-constrained use cases

it also doubles as a trashcan and/or doorstop, saving further valuable office real estate

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blowfish posted:

how long have you been living under a rock?

Apparently a while. What the gently caress Apple?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

ratbert90 posted:

Apparently a while. What the gently caress Apple?

apple stopped releasing computers with good hardware when steve died im sorry

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Celexi posted:

apple stopped releasing computers with good hardware when steve died im sorry

the macbook pros are still the nicest laptops you can get, but the big mac pros are basically made to rip-off university music departments and tv production houses who are stuck needing (or thinking they need) mac hardware for one reason or another

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

The_Franz posted:

thinking they need

ding ding ding

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

craisins posted:

ding ding ding

i heard among certain creative professionals paid hipsters, it is unfashionable to have anything but a mac so macs get bought due to peer pressure from idiots

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

understanding the new mac pro is trivial, next hid the idea of the cube away for almost 25 years, but then suddenly could no longer resist and went back to making desirable but stupid and overpriced piece-of-art workstations

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

craisins posted:

ding ding ding

blowfish posted:

i heard among certain creative professionals paid hipsters, it is unfashionable to have anything but a mac so macs get bought due to peer pressure from idiots

ok so I literally used to be an editor in a post house and the reason macs are now the best choice for editing is because interface usability and system reliability are super important. of course windows is theoretically doable but seriously after windows 8 do you really want to edit in an os that thinks youre using a tablet?

there are other editing work station solutions but they cost way way more than a mac. macs are the pragmatic choice. you really think windows or lol, linux, are better choices?

that said, the mac pros are garb and the inability to add hardware to an imac makes it only suitable for 90% of post production needs. apple is exiting the work station market and I honestly have no clue how the industry will cope.

full disclosure: posted from my ipad pro

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 1, 2016

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

full disclosure: posted from my ipad pro

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

craisins posted:

ding ding ding

in music production there is still a lot of mac only software and hardware that only has mac drivers, although that is changing. the number of universities who still buy $8k blinged-out mac pros just so students can mix a handful of tracks in digital performer is pretty :laffo: though.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Why would anyone buy a mac when you could buy an MPC2000XL and get the same thing for making music.

i've also decided to try emacs for awhile since i'm tired of dealing with vim plugins and emacs has most the poo poo i want built in.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

The_Franz posted:

in music production there is still a lot of mac only software and hardware that only has mac drivers, although that is changing. the number of universities who still buy $8k blinged-out mac pros just so students can mix a handful of tracks in digital performer is pretty :laffo: though.

if you were a child deciding which school to attend at the expense of a deece 5 figgie debt, wouldn't you want to learn on the best hardware? i bet schools buy that kind of hardware more as a sales tactic than anything else

Jerry Bindle fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 1, 2016

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

any uni that teaches 3d animation should just get their compsci department to build them a render farm.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

always funny to watch linux enthusiasts try to comprehend the reason people like macs

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
you mean... you pull it out of the box, plug it in, turn it on, and there is literally no configuration needed? no arcane commands to invoke? what about the kernel, how do you recompile the kernel? you need to have the kernel headers installed to recompile the kernel to get sound to work right?

well poo poo man, if everything already works, what are you supposed to do with the fuckin thing?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Barnyard Protein posted:

if you were a child deciding which school to attend at the expense of a deece 5 figgie debt, wouldn't you want to learn on the best hardware? i bet schools buy that kind of hardware more as a sales tactic than anything else

nah, it's "use it or lose it" budgeting combined with technically illiterate department heads who don't know poo poo about what they actually need. they spend $10k on a new computer then when their cool vintage synth breaks down a few months later they can't come up with $1000 to get it fixed.

or professors who buy it "for the school" and it ends up at their house, but it's ok because they occasionally use it for school related things.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
haha i hate how i constantly make myself look stupid by assuming people do silly things for some good reason. your explanation makes a lot more sense.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

b0red posted:

Why would anyone buy a mac when you could buy an MPC2000XL and get the same thing for making music.

MPCs are associated with "urban" music and ip violations vs GarageBand coming with a jillion loose groove 80s funk guitar riffs.

b0red posted:

i've also decided to try emacs for awhile since i'm tired of dealing with vim plugins and emacs has most the poo poo i want built in.

the beauty and ugly of emacs is that it has most of the poo poo ever wanted by anyone bolted in.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

always funny to watch linux enthusiasts try to comprehend the reason people like macs

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

understanding the new mac pro is trivial, next hid the idea of the cube away for almost 25 years, but then suddenly could no longer resist and went back to making desirable but stupid and overpriced piece-of-art workstations

it's epic and good

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

I understand why people like macbooks. I'm probably going to get one myself for my next laptop. it's just macs pro that don't seem to have an obvious value proposition

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you want a workstation but you don't like Hp or dell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

The_Franz posted:

nah, it's "use it or lose it" budgeting combined with technically illiterate department heads who don't know poo poo about what they actually need. they spend $10k on a new computer then when their cool vintage synth breaks down a few months later they can't come up with $1000 to get it fixed.

or professors who buy it "for the school" and it ends up at their house, but it's ok because they occasionally use it for school related things.

carry on then posted: