Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Aw yes farming game lp. I don't own a ds so I will vicariously enjoy planning crop rotations through this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Xun posted:

Aw yes farming game lp. I don't own a ds so I will vicariously enjoy planning crop rotations through this.

NOrmally I would laugh and say you're expecting too much... but in this game crop rotation and managing soil health is kind of a big deal. I'll explain it later.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Harvest Factory: Prince Meets Prince

A new challenger approaches! Too bad, I was looking forward to Venti trying to convince Art that it's totally okay to abandon his life up to this point so he can live in a castle and grow turnips.

It's a very regal haircut, I suppose, but that doesn't make it any less silly. Also, another person in the room means back to big booming dragon god king voice for Venti.

...Ahem!

And who, pray tell, is addressing me?

The King of Norad is clearly a virile man. Arthur is, by my count, the third prince of Norad to appear in the series so far, the others being in the first game.

I will be staying here in Selphia starting today.

Lady Ventuswill, I kindly ask for your guidance.

...Um, is something wrong...?

Are you... the prince?

Wow Venti, nothing gets past you. Sharp as a tack. Can we trade our god in for another, this one's defective.

That's right.

I thought I sent a letter stating that I would be arriving today.

(See, I told you it wasn’t me!)

(There was no way I could be the Prince!)

(Ugh, be quiet already!)

(E-even a perfect being can make a mistake or two in life!)

Um…

Oh. Ahem!

So you are the true Prince then?

Well… how do I explain…

…Ah, that’s it!

Betrayal! We knew the dragon god king could not be trusted! Quick, whip out your sword and hold the Prince hostage!

We’d never seen your face, so we had no choice but to believe the little troublemaker.

(What?!)

(You’re the one that kept insisting I was royalty!)

(Sh-shut up! He’ll hear us!)

That’s why we’ve given away the room that was prepared for you, I’m afraid.

We beg your forgiveness.

And if you don’t forgive her, Venti will eat you, and then Art will steal your identity. Doofy hair, glasses, robe, totally Prince Art-thur now.

Oh, my…

This is why I keep calling Venti the Dragon-God-King, because she insists on using a masculine voice and the pluralis majestatis. Or at least that had damned well better be the royal we, because I’m sure as hell not doing anything to make up for this. I got shanghaied into impersonating royalty, that’s probably a capital offense!

(Art… …I’m sorry.

(I… really am sorry…)

Oh Terrable, she’s really going to have me executed for this!

(Will you stay at the inn for a while? I’ll let them know.)

Or just move me into sub-standard housing. I hope she’ll find me a new job to pay for my lodging since the new guy is probably going to be tending the farm. I hope he takes good care of my turnips.

It’s alright. I wasn’t supposed to be here in the first place.

Please wait.

What will you do? Where will you go?

Well… I’ll stay at the inn until everything’s settled.

...I’m sorry Art.

And this is why Art is Art, and not Arthur. This conversation would be hopelessly confusing, and not in a fun way.

Please don’t be.

Unless they have me executed for this later, in which case I hope the guilt wracks your soul for all eternity.

…There’s no need for that.

Huh?

This must’ve happened for a reason.

Art, was it?

Prince, Pauper, yadda yadda.

It’s not a title you can hand over to a stranger you know.

Can’t I?

Yeah, pretty sure it doesn’t work that way, especially if your god is telling you no.

…?

I honestly don’t think it’s that important of a title.

You are 13th in line for the throne. That’s not close, but all it takes is one major war, such as with the hostile empire on your borders, to cut down that family tree real quick.

Of course, I’m not suggesting we trade our actual names or positions. Just…

…Just what? What is it you’re planning, exactly?

There’s something that I wish to do.

But I can’t do it if I’m busy running the town.

Plenty of rulers manage to get some tail on the side Arthur. It’s a simple matter of logistics. We’ll rid you of that pesky virginity in no time.

So… will you take on my responsibilities?

I’ll require a detailed list of what those responsibilities are and how I’ll be compensated for this.

… Wouldn’t this mean betraying your father?

I’m not sure this counts as actual treason. Still a terrible loving idea though.

I am prepared for that.

Hmm…

I can tell that you have true passion within your heart.

Is this the same sense that let you detect Art’s air of nobility? I repeat, our dragon god is defective.

You have my permission.

WHAAAAT?!

Me?!

Well they were your responsibilities anyway, until Prince Arthur appeared before us.

No they weren’t! They were always his! You tricked me into this! I’ll have my revenge yet! I’ll kill you so many loving times in the postgame I’ll be making armor out of your teeth!

We’ll just say nothing’s changed and leave it at that. Shouldn’t be a problem, right?

Notice that nobody has actually asked Art if he’s okay with being the Prince.

… Please, Art.

Okay, that’s better. Totally okay with this now.

You’ll do it?!

Excellent! I knew we could count on you!

Thank you very much.

I will explain the duties of a prince to you in the coming days.

By which he means in a few minutes.

For now, however, I must look for a place to stay.

Huh?

You should continue to use the room in the castle.

Since you are the acting Prince, after all.

But…

Don’t worry, I have a talent for negotiating. I don’t anticipate any problems.

Oh Ventuswill he’s going to get shanked in a back alley.

Now, I must be off!

What a dutiful young man.

Yes. So dutiful, the way he tricked me into doing his job for him.

*SIGH*

Why are you sighing?

Playing the part of royalty is a once in a lifetime opportunity, no?

Life is short.

I will tell Volkanon, and everybody else, to support you.

I can help too, if you need it.

… Okay.

I guess it could be a good experience for me.

Positive thinking is always good.

I knew I could trust you, Art.

So what were you going to say earlier?

Oh, yes, that!

It was about the duties of a Prince.

…Even though I’m not one, and never said I was?

Art’s personality took a while to grow on me, but I like him, especially times like this when he makes sure to mock the god emperor dragon.

My, you are a stubborn one!

Hee hee.

Anyway… let’s discuss the matter now, shall we?

Trust is the most important aspect in your role as Prince.

More important than grinding commoners beneath my foot? I don’t think Venti knows much about ruling.

So does that mean I should make friends with the townsfolk?

Neither does Art, clearly. If you treat them like your equals, it will only encourage them to believe they are your equals.

Friendship doesn’t necessarily lead to trust as a Prince.

You don’t ask your friends to help you work, after all, do you?

Yes, I do, almost constantly. Half the point of making friends with characters in this game is so you can take them adventuring with you.

So that’s why you must be trusted as a Prince first.

And that’s done by completing duties as a Prince?

Exactly.

But, how…

There’s a red box in the square outside that door.

By answering these requests, your work will be recognized.

So I should just keep completing the requests in the box, then?

Yes.

That will help you quickly build a good reputation among your loyal subjects.

The best way to build a good reputation (expressed in the game through Prince Points, which I can spend to do poo poo that Arthur will be along to explain later) is by killing bosses. A mid -game item can convert the bonus dungeon into a boss rush, with each run through being worth more than a request.

And the better your reputation, the faster your farm work will progress.

Wait, how does that work?

You’ll see.

…Anyway, that’s all I wanted to say.

Why don’t you go check and see what’s in the request box.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 20, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You've got a stray SCR_TOP_RIGHT in there.

I do like that this conceit is essentially "hey Earthpriest this place needs some Earthpriesting and you'd be a poo poo Earthpriest if you couldn't grow enough to feed yourself".

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Glazius posted:

You've got a stray SCR_TOP_RIGHT in there.

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I somehow managed to miss img tagging that one.

Part of the inconvenience of screenshotting this directly from the 3ds is that the software is very basic. I press the button, it takes 3 shots (bottom screen, top sceen left, and top screen right, which are identical if 3d is turned off). Then when I stop playing, I run another program to convert the raw images saved in-game to PNGs (which takes longer than the time spent actually playing), which I then pull off the SD card and comb through. I'm glad to be able to do it at all, I just wish the technology was a little more advanced.

Glazius posted:

I do like that this conceit is essentially "hey Earthpriest this place needs some Earthpriesting and you'd be a poo poo Earthpriest if you couldn't grow enough to feed yourself".

Rune Factory has never been shy about saying "Hey you, this is a farm, you're a farmer now, get to work". There's something very shady about press-ganging amnesiacs into farmwork.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 20, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Truthkeeper posted:

Ah, thanks for the heads up. I somehow managed to miss img tagging that one.

Part of the inconvenience of screenshotting this directly from the 3ds is that the software is very basic. I press the button, it takes 3 shots (bottom screen, top sceen left, and top screen right, which are identical if 3d is turned off). Then when I stop playing, I run another program to convert the raw images saved in-game to PNGs (which takes longer than the time spent actually playing), which I then pull off the SD card and comb through. I'm glad to be able to do it at all, I just wish the technology was a little more advanced.

Rune Factory has never been shy about saying "Hey you, this is a farm, you're a farmer now, get to work". There's something very shady about press-ganging amnesiacs into farmwork.

Oh man.
I thought you were doing this through a modded for video 3DS.

Godspeed you crazy raddish farmer.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
I don't want to be the guy who posts those half-spoilers with the sly wink, but I must say something. We've just been introduced to the shadiest, most mysterious character in the Rune Factory series. And it isn't Arthur. Well, I guess the most mysterious, for all I know the game lays everything out about this character and I just never had the right conversation in my game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Kallev posted:

I don't want to be the guy who posts those half-spoilers with the sly wink, but I must say something. We've just been introduced to the shadiest, most mysterious character in the Rune Factory series. And it isn't Arthur. Well, I guess the most mysterious, for all I know the game lays everything out about this character and I just never had the right conversation in my game.

But we haven't actually visited the request box yet? :confused:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Gone Boxin’

It kinda looks like a pimp hat, on top of a stack of lumber, on top of a carpet, on top of a really ugly lamp. This is in no way, shape, or form, a box.

…Huh? Who was that? Where are you?

…Whaaa? You can hear me?

I can… but I can’t see you.

I’m right in front of your face!

It’s a matter of record that Art has brain damage. Can auditory hallucinations be caused by brain damage? All signs point to yes. Getting checked out by a doctor would be a very intelligent thing to do.

No, that won’t be necessary! I’m Eliza the request box!

And I’m ever so glad you can hear me. Now listen up!

Inside me is a list of all the important requests everyone has made.

Because let's face it, everyone needs help sometimes.

But you can' t solve all of them at once. No, no!

So I'll help you solve them one by one.

You got that?

...Well, don’t worry. Just take it slow.

Let’s start by trying it out. Try taking a request.

Let’s start with this request.

The request system in a nutshell. Do something, get reward. You can complete a maximum of three requests per day, and successfully completing all 92 non-repeatable requests unlocks new game +. These early requests will flesh out my farming supplies, giving me seeds and tools. Further requests will make a greater variety of items available for sale, reward crafting recipes, and give useful items (and sometimes not so useful). The last few will be a right pain in the rear end to complete.

Castle: Dragon Room is, unsurprisingly, Venti’s big lair/throne room.

Good, good. Well done.

If you find the request to be too difficult, you may cancel it from the Notebook.

The Notebook is located in the bottom right corner of the lower screen. Touch it to open.

Well, that should be enough explaining for one day. Your head is liable to explode!

Tell me about it. I’ve stretched two days of tutorials out across four updates already.

Start by going to Castle: Dragon Room right away.

Well then, let us do as the magical talking box/disturbing hallucination has commanded, and go back into Venti’s room to check out the order symbol.

The order symbol. The symbol of all Order in this world that, if destroyed, will allow this land to be consumed by Chaos for all eternity? No. It’s not much of a symbol either, it’s more of a sign.

But what am l supposed to be looking at, exactly?

Aren’t you supposed to be out in an alley somewhere getting robbed blind at knifepoint?

Oh, yes!

Thank you very much for coming here.

It’s a forced tutorial, you didn’t give me a choice.

I've been trying to find you. I would like us to discuss your duties as Prince.

What do you mean?

These directives are regarded as orders.

As well they should be. Any who fail to heed my word shall be put to the sword! So let it be written, so shall it be done!

And this is the place where you can make your orders.

So… it’s a podium? A table with a fancy pen for signing decrees? A bulletin board?

Orders?

I think it would be easier to understand if you simply try it.

The game cares not for my attempts to figure out how unsupported game mechanics are supposed to work and presses on. So it’s a bulletin board.

Please, make an order with these.

What...are these?

These are the points you'll need to spend to make orders.

So it’s a coin-operated bulletin board.

They’re representative of your skill and reputation as a bonafide Prince.

You can make many different kinds of orders by using these Prince Points.

Prince Points…

Clearly Art finds this as silly as I do. It’s not a bad mechanic (although very grindy in the end game), but this explanation of how it works is just silly.

Well, give it a try!

Choose any order you'd like

SPOILER ALERT: There’s only one option.

Okay, got it!

I never even had the chance to use the 15 slot backpack before upgrading to 30 slots. Maybe I would have liked having a limited inventory! Yeah, I couldn’t even type that with a straight face. Backpack expansions are a godsend. Dragonsend? Ventuswillsend?

Easy, wasn't it? Just use your Prince Points to make an order...

…and whatever you asked of your loyal subjects, it will come to pass, without fail .

Isn't it a little...oppressive, though? For my will to be done without any question, l mean.

We’ve already had dirty godless communists, but Art is very clearly a heroic man of the republic ready to bring down the monarchy. Vive la revolution! As long as I can still order people around and be better than everybody else!

But...you are a Prince!

Arthur, on the other hand, is being sized up for a guillotine.

A Prince, huh...

What's wrong?

l just don’t want to make people mad by being too demanding, you know?

Poor Art clearly has no idea how politics work.

This whole thing feels really...selfish, l guess?

No need to worry about that!

let’s not as if you can do absolutely anything you want, after all.

You told me the exact opposite not a minute ago.

See? Right there, in black and yellowish-greenish gradient!

lt... sounds like l can, though!

Not as long as there are Prince Points you can' t!

Put simply, Prince Points show how much people trust you as a Prince.

Which is why I most often receive them for things nobody sees me do. It’s very important to gain the trust of the people by running through boss rushes in a secret bonus dungeon under the castle.

As you complete requests from the Request Box, you'll earn more Prince Points.

Also, killing enemies, up to 10 points per day, and 20 points per boss killed without limit. And 1 free point per day if I shipped something the previous day. I’m fairly certain the only way to lose them without spending is to try and enter the opposite gender bath area at the inn.

ln short...

...it's only when people trust you that you can save up enough Prince Points to matter.

Or, again, any time I’m willing and able to go on a killing spree.

It takes a lot of points to affect any sort of major change.

Unlocking one of the major Gods of this world as a recruitable NPC: 30000 points, plus a long grind of additional points to reach the top prince rank. Nationalized healthcare (via free bathing, which restores all HP and RP): 35000. Actual nationalized healthcare (via not having to pay the doctor): Impossible.

So if you're not trusted or well-liked, your powers are very limited.

And yet my ability to gain points is completely independent of my friendship levels with the townsfolk.

I see...

Just think of it this way:

lf you have enough points to give an order, then you’ve earned the right to give that order.

I’ll have earned the right to a lot of things by the time I grind enough points to nationalize the baths, unlock both unlockable characters, and fully upgrade my farm.

...Aaaaand, since you've now completed my request...

Allow me to give you these as a token of my gratitude.

You should have noticed that your Prince Points just
went up.

What does that mean, exactly? Sounds strangely ... meta.

Strangely unfunny too. Meta jokes about tutorials were funny a very long time ago, and never again since. This would actually be funnier if he hadn’t tried to be even more meta by pointing it out.

Note that you don't usually earn this much from one request.

There’s just...one more thing l want you to do, and it will require a large number of points.

So l added a bit of a bonus. A show of confidence in you, as it were.

Oh? What do you want me to do?

Well, let's go on to the next request, shall we?

Tourists?

Indeed.

Money goes where the people go, after all.

And the more money you make, the more you can develop the country.

The role of a Prince is to make this country a better place to be.

And simply put, to accomplish that, tourists are absolutely essential

Yes. Of course. Anybody who lives in a popular tourist destination will surely tell you how much they love a bunch of loud smelly foreign tourists wandering around.

All right. That makes sense.

So... let's hold a festival to attract tourists, shall we?

A festival?

This is... another one of those things you'll likely learn a bit easier simply by doing it.

It’s true, but they could at least make a token effort to explain how it works.

Try to order a festival.

I think it would be better to choose a festival you can hold as soon as possible.

Like a cooking contest! That I can’t enter because it’s in 3 days and I have no means to cook anything.

That way, you'll get a feel for the whole process much more quickly.

Let’s do it!

A little further out, and requires no preparation.

Well done.

You attracted more tourists by getting the town's name out there.

And if the festival is a rousing success...

...like, if you participate in it personally, and really boost spirits...

...then you'll attract even more tourists, and this town will be a booming metropolis in no time!

Booming metropolis? It’s a sleepy small border town, with an inexplicable castle in the middle and an inexplicable vacant lotfarm behind the castle. Population is about 20-30.

I see...

...So, uh, what is "Apprentice Prince" exactly?

My prince rank, increases with tourism.

That's your title.

Your present Prince title is determined by the number of tourists.

I said that already.

Which is why rank is important. Unlockable characters require top the rank.

The more tourists you bring in...

...the more the town will develop, and the more new items you'll be able to purchase.

The cool thing here is that the town does develop, with new orders bringing in additional stores and improving existing stores. Not very much though.

For example, new vegetable and flower seeds, stronger weapons, more reliable armor...

If I’m relying on storebought weapons and armor for more than two dungeons, something has gone horribly wrong and I want somebody to take me out back to the vacant lot and shoot me.

All of which will also help you complete more complex requests.

How many prince points to have the act of giving tutorials punishable by death?

Well, that does it for my explanation of Prince work, so...

And then he was gone. Arthur’s the best, most responsible prince ever.

At least it’s not a full nothing but tutorial update. I planted the turnip seeds Arthur gave me. My vacant lot is slowly becoming more farm-like. Maybe Arthur, Volkanon, Vishnal, and Eliza can perform community service for their crimes against the crown by working the fields. I think Eliza would make an excellent scarecrow.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 31, 2016

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Looks like that bump on the head gave you a minor case of serious brain damage, Earthmate...

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Truthkeeper posted:

[im]ghttp://lpix.org/2335321/scr_44_TOP_RIGHT.png[/img]
[timg] [img]http://lpix.org/2335050/scr_20_TOP_RIGHT.png[/timg] [/img]
And if the festival is a rousingsuccess...

Also, are you using software that scans images into text? Because spellcheck revealed a number of lower-case 'L's masquerading as upper-case 'i's at the beginnings of lines of dialogue.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

NullBlack posted:

Also, are you using software that scans images into text? Because spellcheck revealed a number of lower-case 'L's masquerading as upper-case 'i's at the beginnings of lines of dialogue.

Yes I am. And yes, it turns out that did happen. I think I got them all this time, but clearly I need to start picking a better time to post updates when I can do a better job checking them before posting.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, i do have the entire game's english script in a text file somewhere, if that would help :v:

Sadly i can't just put it into pastebin, because apparently pastebin has a 512KB file limit. The things you learn...

(the game's script has 99,572 entries, this does not include strings like names, people, items, their descriptions etc)

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HenryEx posted:

Well, i do have the entire game's english script in a text file somewhere, if that would help :v:

Sadly i can't just put it into pastebin, because apparently pastebin has a 512KB file limit. The things you learn...

(the game's script has 99,572 entries, this does not include strings like names, people, items, their descriptions etc)

Can you use something to cut it into chunks? Maybe this?

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

HenryEx posted:

That would be more kinds of useful than I can count! I looked around for one when I first started this project, but couldn't find anything. Half the reason I'm making os little progress is that I spend more time converting raw screenshot data to png, converting png to pnm, cropping images, and then OCR'ing them, than I do playing the game and writing about it. And it's still much faster doing it that way than it was the first few updates where I transcribed each line by hand.

So what I'm saying is that I would love to get a copy of that in whatever manner is most convenient for you.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The big problem with playing as Frey is all the bachelors being duds

Volkanon being a romance option would immediately invert that situation though

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Just put the script in a notepad/word 97 or so file and then upload it to a filehoster like Mega or even in a dropbox or something?

I can't imagine it's a crazy huge file.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, crazy huge for a text file. :v: It's 3.6 MB of plain text.

I've removed the in-game linebreaks and gave each "dialogue entry" its own line. Aside from that, though, it's just like i ripped it straight from the game files. Which means you'll have to do some search&replace when copying from it, since the lines can look like this:

@しゅじんこうくん@, +Happy Birthday+!

Where the @-enclosed words are placeholders for items or character names, or just gender-specific words. And the +-enclosed ones are highlighted words.

Though they're not labeled in any way, as far as i can tell consecutive lines for dialogues and such are usually in order, so if you search for a line at the start of a dialogue, you'll usually find the rest of the dialogue, too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkmdl5inimgpt6n/RF4_Script.txt?dl=0

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so you decide when the festivals are? That's actually pretty neat.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Blind Duke posted:

The big problem with playing as Frey is all the bachelors being duds

Volkanon being a romance option would immediately invert that situation though

Hey, there's like two good bachelors for Frey. Or at least there's a decent bachelor, and another one who seems interesting, but wants Lamp Squid so gently caress that.

A bachelor and a half.

E: You can't decide when festivals happen, only if they take place at all.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 2, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, there's.... Arthur? The boring choice, but a decent guy. Can surprise you in little ways. Not really exotic, but a solid husband. also, royalty
Basically all other bachelors can eat a dick, though. Endless bumbling and failure aren't funny. Get hosed, horse dude. And don't get me started on ~mysteriously mature riddling koan wannabe~ or dwarves.
The only other good choice is sadly a kid. :gonk:

edit: the most charming and :3: choice for bachelorettes is sadly also a kid, so at least there's gender equality, i guess

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 2, 2016

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Glazius posted:

Oh, so you decide when the festivals are? That's actually pretty neat.

Kind of. A given festival is tied to a day, such as the Turnip Festival always being Summer 11. You just get to choose whether or not the town celebrates it. You can, in fact, be Mayor NoFun and cancel every last festival with no real repercussions.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

HenryEx posted:

I dunno, there's.... Arthur? The boring choice, but a decent guy. Can surprise you in little ways. Not really exotic, but a solid husband. also, royalty
Basically all other bachelors can eat a dick, though. Endless bumbling and failure aren't funny. Get hosed, horse dude. And don't get me started on ~mysteriously mature riddling koan wannabe~ or dwarves.

edit: the most charming and :3: choice for bachelorettes is sadly also a kid, so at least there's gender equality, i guess

Hahaha I don't trust Arthur as far as I can throw him, this whole debacle is his fault. Yeah, just make an amnesiac girl play farm slave while you totally don't perform espionage on your own country. (I meant horse dude , to be honest.)

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Frey is okay with the last bachelor if only because she doesn't fall for his poo poo and relentlessly breaks his poise

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I tried romancing Arthur when I was playing and had to back off. He's... his own special kind of unpalatable. At least bumbling and incompetent can be kind of endearing in the right context.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.
This made me pick up my version again! I cut my video game farming teeth on Harvest Moon 64 and this has hit a lot of the same buttons for me.

I never got the romancing villagers, strangely enough. I just sat around farming and killing stuff. I really like how you can get to what seemed like endgame without any romance, too!

tldr, this is a good game and I'm excited to watch this LP.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

YggiDee posted:

(I meant horse dude , to be honest.)

https://youtu.be/jzYzVMcgWhg

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

I honestly don't care that much for any of the bachelors, but Arthur and Leon are the most tolerable. Male player characters definitely got the best pick though, every girl is tolerable at least.

The update to come later tonight or tomorrow was certainly in no way, shape, or form delayed by some idiot saving over both of his save files, necessitating playing through the tutorials again. Thank Ventuswill for text skipping.

And a handful of the sceenshots I took don't seem to have made it. Unfortunate, but they weren't critical, I just wanted to show off the town a little. Maybe next time.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 6, 2016

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Gameplay! Sweet Blessed Gameplay!
I’m a little excited to have made it through those tutorials. There’s a few more left, but they’re shorter and more spread out.

http://lpix.org/2354875/scr_553_BOTTOM.png

I don’t think this is the first time I’ve shown the bottom screen, but it is the first time I’ve talked about it. Maps! The bottom screen shows a map of the current area, with NPCs locations marked with their faces. I like it, too many hours spent wandering around various Harvest Moon towns wondering where this girl or that currently is, too many brain cells burnt out memorizing peoples’ schedules. No more! As a bonus, there are simple, logical, and non-intrusive touch screen buttons. On the left, the big blue button is my Escape spell, menaing I don’t have to waste a spell equip slot on it (though I am forced to waste a spell inventory slot). On the right, inventory and journal buttons. This screen also shows important details like the date, time, weather, and my current funds. I’m loving broke, and it’s not going to get better for a while. I’ll have an empty wallet by the end of the day.

quote:

Forte
Voice: Erin Fitzgerald

Dragon Knight

Another voice actor I’m not familiar with, though I recognized a handful of her roles on IMDB. Forte is the Dragon Knight of Selphia (and yet she uses a sword, not a spear, and I don’t think she’s ever even heard of jumping in combat). Forte knows drat well that her job is completely useless, so she does her best to protect the town instead. Watch her masterfully nearly kill her new neighbor! I kid, but Forte is definitely my go-to adventuring companion of choice in the early game. Mostly because I don’t get a choice in the matter, she’s the only person who will adventure with me at a friendship level lower than 3. I guess nobody wants to follow the creepy brain-damaged new guy into the woods for some reason. Forte aspires toward martial perfection, being a shining pillar of strength and virtue. And she dearly loves her little brother, who she’s raised since their parents died in… a tragic accident which also claimed the lives of every other person over 40? Except Blossom, but nothing can kill that old lady, she’s ten feet tall and bulletproof. Volkanon’s survival clearly needs no explanation.

In battle, Forte is an engine of destruction with both short and long swords, and she can cast a couple healing spells and some self-buffs. Her favorite gift is union stew (a damned complicated recipe), but any sweets will do in a pinch. But anybody who tells you she likes them is a filthy liar, because liking sweets is weak and girly, as is being afraid of ghosts, which Forte most certainly is not.

I don’t see an actual helmet for that visor to be attached to. Is it just glued to her head?

You may have noticed that, even though Forte is an eligible young lady, she didn’t get the cutscene I said they all had? Hers is special, and will show up later.

I feel an unfamiliar presence.

Huh?

*WHOOSH!*

She’s a bit too free with that sword. Public menace, oughtn’t be allowed, won’t somebody think of the children.

GAH!

...Hrm?

Oh. It was you, Art. My apologies.

I'm glad I did not cut you down.

Yes. Yes I am also glad. I think I peed a little.

Umm....

Oh, yes. Where are my manners? My name is Forte.

This is a thing. There was just a montage of Art running around town talking to everybody, introducing himself, explaining his amnesia, and asking if they knew him. Yet nobody ever said who they were apparently, because everybody will introduce themselves when first talked to. At least Forte is the only one to commit aggravated assault in the process.

I serve the holy Lady Ventuswill as her faithful Dragon Knight.

"Dragon Knight"?

It’s sort of like a court jester in plate. Venti keeps her around because she’s amused.

Ah, that's right. You're missing all your memories.

...Yeah...

Oh, goodness!

Fiddlesticks!

My apologies! I hope I've not spoken too indelicately...

Uh, no. It's okay. Don't worry about it.

Still, it was an inappropriate topic to bring up. I'm sorry.

Erm...anyway. Dragon Knights.

As the name suggests, it is my duty to protect Lady Ventuswill.

...On paper, at least.

Huh?

The power of a mere human is nothing compared to hers. She hardly requires the help of one.

O-oh...that makes sense, I guess.

Yes.

I didn't know Venti was that powerful.

Take note that Art isn’t supposed to be letting on about his secret friendship with Venti, or that she’s not ALL POWERFUL BOOMING VOICE DRAGON GOD EMPEROR all the time. Art is really loving bad at keeping secrets.

So though I hold the title of Dragon Knight, in truth my duty is to guard this town.

Because clearly Venti needs help guarding one sleepy rural town. Why does a King Dragon God even live here?

Accordingly, if you should have any problems, please feel free to come speak with me.

I will do whatever I can to help.

And she will too. Like I said, only NPC who will adventure with me as casual acquaintances.

Thank you! I appreciate that.

And then, on trying to leave town… cutscene power to the max!

Forte has a sword and nice eyes, that’s all we need to know I guess.

Ah, Art.

Are you going somewhere?

There are monsters outside of town, so it's dangerous to be wandering around.

Monsters?

There are angry bipedal sheep that might roll slowly in your direction!

Yes.

You can avoid them, mostly, but sooner or later you may have to fight.

Meaning...I'd have to...cut them down...?

That's right.

...Can't we all just get along?

I’m a lover, not a fighter. And I’m not even very good at being a lover!

You're sweet, Art.

Huh? N-no, I just mean—

Don't worry.

Defeating monsters doesn't mean you're killing them.

What?

The weapons and farm tools we use have a magic spell called +Tamitaya+ cast upon them.

I kinda like this thing the script did for denoting highlighted text, I’m keeping them in. This spell was called Retornen in previous games, I’m not sure which one I like better. Presumably Tamitaya translates to something, but I know not what.

This +Tamitaya+ prevents our attacks from actually harming the monsters...

...instead sending them to the +Forest of Beginnings+.

The +Forest of Beginnings+?

That's the world in which the monsters live.

They enter our world through roads called gates.

You never REALLY go on a mass murder spree, you’re just sending the poor lost monsters home… wait, this suddenly casts my plan to imprison dozens of monsters in 10x10 barns and force them to do my bidding in a darker light.

I see...

To send them back to the Forest of Beginnings...

...you'll need a weapon with the +Tamitaya+ spell cast upon it.

Do you have such a weapon in your possession?

Every weapon in the world has that spell, or at least every weapon we’re capable of buying, finding, or crafting. My broadsword is clearly such a weapon (and clearly doesn’t work on humans, although sending Soldier and Gangster Soldier to the Forest would have made this a short game.

Looks like you're all set, then.

Still, give this one a try as well. You might like it.

In that case, why not use this one?

Longswords are highly effective, and cover large areas.

You can attack multiple monsters at once, too.

Its downside is the slow swing, which leaves you vulnerable to counterattacks.

So try to anticipate your enemy's moves and use it accordingly.

Honestly, I’ve never been a fan of long swords, hammers, or axes. Quick and efficient weapons like double swords, of big flashy magic, that’s how I roll. I’ll probably try to show off every weapon type at least a little, but Forte just did a good job explaining the basic pros and cons.

Thank you very much!

Weapons are important partners that you entrust with your life.

You should find out for yourself...

...which weapon suits you best.

I will.

I think that does it for the explanations.

However, I must ask you one more thing before you leave.

How confident are you in your own skills?

Hard mode motherfucker. COME AT ME BRO, COME AT ME! The script says that if you choose easy mode, Forte will automatically offer to join your party rather than waiting for you to ask, I didn’t think to check unfortunately.

I see.

It seems you're quite confident in your skills.

And I have no reason to doubt that confidence.

But should you require my help, please let me know.

And do take it easy. Don't become overconfident and lower your guard.

Oh, and one more thing.

"When the enemy's strength overwhelms you, gaze upon the trophy in the castle basement."

Huh...?

I'm not sure what it means, but it's a charm we knights have passed down for quite some time.

It means that’s how I change the difficulty if I can’t handle hard. I reiterate, come at me. Bro.

Should you become overwhelmed, it might be worth trying.

O-okay. Thanks.

"When the enemy's strength overwhelms you...gaze upon the trophy in the castle basement"?

Was that it? I'll try not to forget.

Now, there is something I'd like to give you, if I may.

Um, is this...?

BREAD. A major food staple of the early to mid-game. Once I’m able to cook and have enough income to buy flour, I’ll be riding the flour > bread > toast train for a long time. Toast is mid HP/RP restorer of choice for a good portion of the game, then tomato juice. By the time tomato juice can’t cover my needs, I’ll need some very high end food products.

By eating food, you'll gain benefits such as health restoration and timed skill boosts.

Also, like Clorica said, eating once a day exercises the Eating skill.

These benefits change depending on the type of food you eat.

Don't underestimate the power of a good meal!

Unless you're fully prepared, it's really quite dangerous out there.

All right.

I'll keep that in my mind.

My apologies for being so nosy.

Please, be careful.

I’m not quite prepared to leave town yet, so I’ll go back in. I have a vacant lot that needs to be filled with turnips. Why turnips? Because pineapple is another show.

The general store, on Melody Street, just east of the castle. For all my grocery and vegetable/fruit needs. The town is basically laid out along the four compass points, with the castle and vacant lot in the middle. General store and flower shop in the east, restaurant and inn in the north, blacksmith and clinic in the west, town square where Forte tried to kill me in the south. Various people living various places.

Don’t let the kind smile fool you. Blossom’s tough as nails.

My, my! How courteous of you.

I'm very pleased to meet you.

The pleasure is mine.

Oh, yes.

We were in such a rush before I forgot to mention that I run a +General Store+.

A +General Store+?

Yes.

I run it right here out of my home. If there's anything you need, do stop on by.

I will.

And I will too.

Blossom sells a variety of groceries, most of them out of my price range, but I’m not here for those.

Turnip seeds, the only seeds available at the start. Clearly, I’m buying until I run out of money. That’s twenty bags for those of you who haven’t been paying attention.

It still isn’t nearly enough, but I’m getting somewhere at least.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Personally, I found some Hot Milk pretty much always maxed out my RP bar, and - well, the heal spell is super cheap so why bother with HP foods?
Good progress! Are you going to make an effortpost about whatever soil levels do? I ended up ignoring them...

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

Personally, I found some Hot Milk pretty much always maxed out my RP bar, and - well, the heal spell is super cheap so why bother with HP foods?
Good progress! Are you going to make an effortpost about whatever soil levels do? I ended up ignoring them...

Yeah, Hot Milk is also my go to RP item, as it's super easy to produce.
Also: Spears/Lances all the way!

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Where do you get all this milk? Do you just buy it? I got a cow monster later on but I guess it's a bull, because it just drops horns.

Instead, my healing item of choice is dozens upon dozens of pickled Sweet Potatoes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Aithon posted:

Where do you get all this milk? Do you just buy it? I got a cow monster later on but I guess it's a bull, because it just drops horns.

Instead, my healing item of choice is dozens upon dozens of pickled Sweet Potatoes.

You have a buffalo monster, I suspect. If you want milk you need a proper black and white Holstein-looking cow. Then it's hot milk all day erry day.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
If you're not going to show the character avatar for every one of their lines anymore, can you distinguish between in-game dialogue and your commentary? I've seen some screenshot LPs just put the player commentary into italics, which works fine.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Aithon posted:

Specifically, check out the Southeast of the Selphia Plain.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Or just down healing potions since they drop off the environment all the dang time and you can shotgun them without an eating animation

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, healing potions served me just fine pretty much any time I needed help and didn't want to use magic. I did neglect a lot of the crafting though so its entirely possible that that's a terrible choice I made that directly resulted in me doing way more grinding than should have been necessary.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Hot Milk is used for restoring RP more than HP, it's a godsend if you're doing heavy crafting/farming/magic nonsense. There is some good poo poo from crafting. Good poo poo. And I'll say that crafting is an entire rabbit hole of grinding in and of itself.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Lunar Suite posted:

I mostly use food to recover RP, and I'm too lazy to rely on barn drops when I can just buy flour and make toast. By the time I'm past that, tomato juice is far superior to most other available options.

And I am planning a detailed post specifically to cover the care and maintenance of soil. Probably once I can reasonably afford a magnifying glass. That one's going to be a damned sight easier than the other big information post I have planned, explaining the nuances of crafting. There are still things we don't know about the crafting system of this game to this day.

sheep-dodger posted:

Also: Spears/Lances all the way!

I suppose I could let people vote on what weapon type they'd like to see me utilize through most the LP. For those of you unfamiliar, that would be:

Short Sword (quick short range attacks in a small front arc and full defense bonus from a shield. Easiest weapon to use)
Long Sword (slower, but longer range, in a similar arc to the short sword, only half defense from a shield)
Axe/Hammer (also slow, and only hits directly in front, but hits like a loving hammer, again, halves shield defense)
Spear (longer range than a long sword, but only in a straight line, half defense again)
Double Swords (Faster than the short sword and covers a similar arc, a bit shorter range, no defense from an equipped shield at all (usually))
Fists (Fastest weapon, but shortest range. Enables throwing and suplexing monsters. no shield defense)
Staves (The mage's tool. You cna use magic without one, but it will be much more effective with a staff, and staves have various abilities of their own, including being able to use boss-only attacks)

Any type is perfectly suitable to use for the entire game (though there are certain areas with magic-immune enemies where a staff would need to be switched out for something else). Feel free to speak up, I'll tally up votes.

MooCowlian posted:

Yeah, healing potions served me just fine pretty much any time I needed help and didn't want to use magic. I did neglect a lot of the crafting though so its entirely possible that that's a terrible choice I made that directly resulted in me doing way more grinding than should have been necessary.

In combat, potions are the way to go. And if you have to do any grinding, then you definitely neglected the crafting system, to your own detriment. Though I've never actually fought the final boss without spending a lot of time running the bonus dungeons first, that does tend to throw a bunch of levels at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
It's sad that I just discovered today that you could have townsfolk accompany you into dungeons and they can be equipped with spare gear. I am up to the last dungeon (trying to unlock it) and running the bonus dungeon for over-powered gear.

mastersord fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 7, 2016

• Locked thread