Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
OK so i finally decided to install and try this messy bugfest. However i have no clue where the download link is. Seriously. I went to their download page, i signed in, all checkpoints are green but there is no link for a download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

CrazyLoon posted:

I dunno. I'm a massive fan of XCOM, for instance, but...even that, not to the point where I'd willingly give up over 1,000 dollars' worth of cash for essentially nothing.

The trouble tends to start, when you devote so much time/attention to a thing, that you feel like you need it. If XCOM vanished from the Earth tommorow, I'd be real upset and sad, but it wouldn't be like I couldn't go on with my life and poo poo. When this will happen to the true shitizens, though, yeah...some of them will legit an hero and too many have already gotten divorced over it. While the survivors will, sadly, all too likely do as you said, move on to the next crusade.

I'm sure someone versed in psychology/psychiatry could find the technical word for it, tho.

If you take it as a personal attack, get mad then post a million word rebuttal when someone says Snaketits are bad then you're a fanboy. If you just really like Xcom and can't wait for all the mods to put Snaketits on all the models then you're just a fan.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

:siren: Hey have you guys seen the latest

This is beyond creepy. Edit this poo poo out

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Raskolnikov posted:

Star citizen is these nerds mistress. They get off on just giving money to be financially dominated.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/i-make-200k-a-year-demanding-money-from-men-online

I need a better job...

Why is it's always straight men into these weird fetishes? Any women or gay men who want to be financially dominated PM me. Also buy me plat first you worm.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

because what they're actually hoping they're funding is some sort of proto-holodeck where they can plug in their VR headset and immersive flight joysticks and be transported to another world entirely.

http://crateandcrowbar.com/2016/01/30/episode-126-no-ifs-only-butts/

From the crate and crowbar podcast, at 56 minutes they start talking about ED: Horizons. Sounds amazing although I agree with the dude who says it might be best saved for VR for maximum ~immersion~

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

Chris really believes in wasting money on unergonomic boutique crap so it's ok

This was before they acknowledged the marriage, so it might have been Chris or his wife.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

This was before they acknowledged the marriage, so it might have been Chris or his wife.

it's not even about the "acknowledgment" -- for the first few years of the project, they were actively squashing all talk of it, under penalty of termination.
The first 24-hour livestream on Twitch with the 6-8 channels had a conversation about it between 2 guys in the "smoking room."

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Jum-Jum posted:

There was Dark Millenium which was an MMO but cancelled (after THQ I think?), and then Eternal Crusade came along instead.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/375230/
It's essentially WH40K: Space Marine but Multiplayer focused. Right now it's just 32 players, they're gonna push for some bigger numbers soon but I doubt it'll be any bigger than 100 people.
It's the closest we got to a PlanetSide 40k game.

The song is amazing. The picture is amazing. You sir, are amazing.
:perfect:

Sorry to respond way late but Eternal Crusade looks so good. I played through Space Marine maybe three times just because I loved the combat and the art. This is so up my alley.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
The degeneration of CIG is amazing. I was reading about Ponzi schemes recently, and I found this passage interesting:

quote:

Ponzi schemes sometimes commence operations as legitimate investment vehicles, such as hedge funds. For example, a hedge fund can degenerate into a Ponzi scheme if it unexpectedly loses money (or simply fails to legitimately earn the returns promised and/or thought to be expected) and if the promoters, instead of admitting their failure to meet expectations, fabricate false returns and (if necessary) produce fraudulent audit reports.

Many people have stated that they don't believe the project initially started out as a scam, and I agree. This is an issue of mismanagement, followed up by the embedded belief that it cannot fail. Things have gotten progressively sketchier as time passes, and the departure of the better employees over time reinforces that view.

At some point, this project will tip into full-on scam territory. It may have already tipped.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Scruffpuff posted:

The degeneration of CIG is amazing. I was reading about Ponzi schemes recently, and I found this passage interesting:

Many people have stated that they don't believe the project initially started out as a scam, and I agree. This is an issue of mismanagement, followed up by the embedded belief that it cannot fail. Things have gotten progressively sketchier as time passes, and the departure of the better employees over time reinforces that view.

At some point, this project will tip into full-on scam territory. It may have already tipped.

the PU alpha is when it tipped into a straight up scam, if not a little before that. They put it out so they could justify not issuing refunds (and maybe because they know Star Marine wasn't coming out so they had to put out something to prevent a panic). This fly free week isn't about impressing anyone, it's about giving the cultists ammo so they can rope in their friends. There's no way anyone at CIG could possibly think the alpha is ready even for QA, let alone showing to the public.

From here on out it'll just be a steady walking-back of features until Croberts just says "this is complete, you got what you paid for" and walks, leaving the community to mod in the missing ships or whatever.

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

:siren: Hey have you guys seen the latest You must upgrade your account to platinum to view this message and he's just announced he's quitting and he's filing for bankruptcy!!!!! :siren:

:laffo:

yea I saw this, heres a bit more of the related information with his personal details edited out:
You must upgrade your account to platinum to view this message

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

...so who'll bite the bullet and transcribe this

i'm not listening to ninety minutes of sandi

I believe my attorneys already had someone transcribe it. I'd have to check. Though if they did, it is not likely that I can make it public. There'd have to be a publicly sourced transcript. So who wants to bite the bullet? I'd pay to have it done. email (dsmart at live dot com) or message me
[/quote]

Thanks for all the offers to transcribe this. I received several low-cost offers and have assigned it. I will incorporate it into the blog I've been working on since Dec and which I am planning to make live ahead of the Squadron 42/Star Citizen split on Feb 14th.

Would you believe that one of those people actually does this for a living? Seriously, is there any level of society that Goons haven't yet infiltrated!?!? But if Donald Trump is a Goon, I'm out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

"The backers won't know..." -- Chris Roberts, as quoted by his (then secret) wife, when encouraging her to join him by upgrading her international flight from Coach to Business Class. She reportedly declined, opting for the $800 coach seat rather than joining him in spending $5000+ extra for cozier accommodations.

The backers won't know...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Solarin posted:

I'd feel confident assuming most people with major money in this scam ARE computer programmers (or sysadmins, or other engineers, etc)

It's perfect: a career path where skill in extremely specialized domains can supplant the need for social skills. Being a highly paid expert confirms their belief in their superiority and intelligence. This then is applied to literally every other aspect of their lives and further isolates them. They make easy pickings for a fantasy where they can exchange their money for belonging and respect of a social group.

This was posted way back in the thread and I liked it.

Amarcarts posted:

Portrait of a Shitizen: Part 1
I can't be certain of any of this, but it's the best lens I have through which I view what's going on here:

It's actually kind of a mistake that 'Sperg' and 'Autism Chariot' are the typical derogatory terms that are thrown out there because I think a lot of the poo poo Lords that make these game communities so toxic are actually not as far on the spectrum as the terms imply. I tend to think of someone far on the spectrum as not understanding social interactions, whereas the poo poo Lord actually has a rather average or even elevated understanding, but are unsuccessful and/or only semi-competent in practice, possibly because of more general personality flaws and/or other life blockers (kids, poor, fat, ugly, etc.). I tend to think of a true autist as more solitary. Sure they don't like being ganked, and would be happy playing X3 instead of EVE online, except EVE online is more interesting from a numbers standpoint because the economy is dynamic and less predictable. It is a higher level of challenge to figure out and exploit.

The key psychological phenomena with the poo poo Lords is that they feel socially powerless IRL so they are looking to compensate for this in-game. You see these types all the time crawling their way up guild hierarchies or running their own guilds so they can start at the top. A common role they try to play is that of the "benevolent dictator". This is why I think these people are not autistic. The veneer of friendliness hiding their anger and craving for social control is actually quite calculated and illustrates an understanding, if only unconsciously, of many principles underlying social interaction. The veneer undoubtedly works on many people who for whatever reason can't see past it, or are tolerant enough of such personalities because of their own overwhelming desire to belong to an in-group (the less ambitious, "approval seeking" personalities of their Shitizen followers are similar but these people perhaps do not have the severe degree of overcompensation that I describe below).

I do not want to call the I see the poo poo Lord as a more or less average person crippled by a combination inferiority complex complicated by overcompensation with a narcissistic superiority complex and emotional immaturity. A King Baby. What they crave is true loyalty, power, and status (understandably human desires that most healthy people have). The root of the pathology though is the inferiority complex. For a variety of reasons they don't love themselves, making healthy relationships extremely difficult. This manifests in depression and is why you tend to see addictions and general impulse control behavior in these types. (I can't help but notice the gifts of alcohol to CIG devs and the liquor bottles proudly on display in the bachelor pad).

Stay tuned for Part 2 coming soon!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

But if Donald Trump is a Goon, I'm out.

Donald would probably say, "I've been a goon for years. Honestly, it's a bad forum. Nothing funny in years. Lowtax, he had a good run but he's out of touch. I prefer 4chan now."

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

I believe my attorneys already had someone transcribe it. I'd have to check. Though if they did, it is not likely that I can make it public. There'd have to be a publicly sourced transcript. So who wants to bite the bullet? I'd pay to have it done. email (dsmart at live dot com) or message me

Thanks for all the offers to transcribe this. I received several low-cost offers and have assigned it. I will incorporate it into the blog I've been working on since Dec and which I am planning to make live ahead of the Squadron 42/Star Citizen split on Feb 14th.

Would you believe that one of those people actually does this for a living? Seriously, is there any level of society that Goons haven't yet infiltrated!?!? But if Donald Trump is a Goon, I'm out.
[/quote]

Do we have a marine biologist amonst us? I didn't think so!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

hakimashou posted:

This was posted way back in the thread and I liked it.

Amarcarts posted:

Having a legit real life (high-functioning) autism diagnosis, I can agree with this

There are no doubt a number of autists in the 'universe, but I don't think it's the dominant reason for the whales being gullible idiots and pawning their retirement savings

Looking at the whalest whales: wesha, Wulge, CitizenSlum among others, it's pretty obvious they think their "investment" is the thing that will finally give them the admiration and envy of their peers that has so far eluded them because they lead lives of abject social and emotional squalor

I don't mind the term "sperg" at all because it's mostly used to denote obsession with some nerdy subject, but I think idiocy and a pathetic loneliness is a more fitting diagnosis for many of them

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

Do we have a marine biologist amonst us? I didn't think so!

I grew up on a fishing boat, and when I started college my track was in oceanography. That counts for something, right?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The super-carebears are strong candidates for autism though. B'tak or whatever in particular - he seems to live in permanent fear of the potentiality of other people existing in his particular universe

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

BluestreakBTHR posted:

I grew up on a fishing boat, and when I started college my track was in oceanography. That counts for something, right?

Well crap. OK, in that case, we don't have any famous actresses on here!

PS: Can I call you Sandi?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AP posted:

Star Citizen in 2016.
Crashing spaceships
Probably the worst FPS gameplay ever seen in cryengine.
A vending machine that doesn't do anything that people will spend hours moving from place to place even though it only shows up client side.
A 16 player instance cap.
3 different missions.
Flaming buggies

Looks 2/3rds finished to me. Boys, we are in the home stretch now!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Is it true that's it's not gay if you can't see dry land?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Here some shitizens try to trick a fresh mark into their cult: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/43ogtz/same_questions_new_guy_need_to_know_few_things/

Note how they dance around the server size question.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Berious posted:

Note how they dance around the server size question.

Straight up poo poo answers, you mean. They say "1000's of players but not at the same time". For gently caress sake, that is Battlefield 4 right now. With 64 players interacting.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

BMan posted:

The Sandi-Bot is live:

http://robo-roberts.appspot.com/sandi

There wasn't a lot of data to work with, so the neural network came out more retarded than usual :pwn:

The bots keep fascinating me. Roboroberts is convinced Star Marine's Gold Horizon is still on despite successful problems in the many design departments.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

tastychicken posted:

Straight up poo poo answers, you mean. They say "1000's of players but not at the same time". For gently caress sake, that is Battlefield 4 right now. With 64 players interacting.
Yeah but Battlefield 4 can't touch Star Citizen's levels of fidelity plus Battlefield has single digit caps on vehicles and also they only have scripted destructible environments but Star Citizen is going to blow that away too because it's going to do procedurally generated destructible environments so we don't get boring stuff like the below repeating over and over.

TL:DR
Procedurally generated destruction + double digit player counts in vehicles during battles + Crysis level fidelity = Checkmate (Star Citizen wins).

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

Well crap. OK, in that case, we don't have any famous actresses on here!

PS: Can I call you Sandi?

Am I truly that much of an insufferable oval office?

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Berious posted:

Is it true that's it's not gay if you can't see dry land?

Depends. Did you shave?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Am I truly that much of an insufferable oval office?

ROFL. My apologies!

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTSqoM_vbp0&t=1073s

I might have found Chris Robert's source of inspiration for this scam glorious masterpiece of a business model!

Just replace nothing with FIDELITY, or other CIG hype words.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amarcarts posted:

We call such people authoritarians, people who are socialized by authoritarian structures and seek to control their own hierarchies. I think you're right, they're socially powerless and the internet/gaming is their way out, literally fantasizing their way into a control structure they can call their own. It fails of course because there's always something out of their control, and the need to control is addictive.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beexoffel posted:

The bots keep fascinating me. Roboroberts is convinced Star Marine's Gold Horizon is still on despite successful problems in the many design departments.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"my partners spent our crowdfunding money on liquor, parties and strippers and now I can't give you the game you funded and I just need a clean break from these guys..."

What a lackluster way to end your crowdfunding campaign. If Chris Roberts ever does one of these videos, I just know the production values will leave us slack-jawed!

Incidentally, this was some alpha footage of the game from the summer. Anyone watching it would have every reason to believe there was really a game soon to deliver.

It's hard not to be a little skeptical of his narrative and agenda, though. He has big view counts for his game footage, he was aiming for console and steam release, the game would have had strong Kid appeal, and it seems bizarre to record a "sorry it's over" when you were theoretically nearing the opportunity to earn decent bank (even if you had to share the spoils with some wasteful ex-friends who owned a stake.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 1, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Star Citizen is much like the Ouya, which is a case study that showed even people with generally relevant skills and good intentions can cock up spectacularly when things go beyond the initial scope of the project.

Ouya's founder, Julie Uhrman, funnily enough does have an MBA in Finance and Marketing from UCLA as well as a dual degree in Finance and Management. All combined it's about eight years of study. And her rapsheet shows a solid mix of working in a mix of financial and game company backgrounds. She knew how to get Ouya started, but jumped the gun when it became bigger than expected.

To begin with Ouya used Kickstarter to support an existing VC startup. I understand the initial idea was to just create a proof of concept and draw in some early developers with dev kits, use that to stress test the device, get some games up and then use that as a ground floor for improvements before pushing it into a proper device.

Their market pitch worked too well and it drew the attention of a ton of indie game developers who were keen on a free-to-dev hackable platform where they could get something reasonable in return for creating games and soon it became one of Kickstarter's biggest success stories drawing in all sorts of publicity.
It also changed the rules for Kickstarter as they decided that no more CG rendered images could be used for product concepts.

But how do you hold all of this cash? So they decide to push the Ouya to mass market well before it was prepared - thinking the demand would pay off if they upscaled their orders.

To meet that demand shortcuts galore were made to get something out the door. And then they learnt the hard way that Chinese manufactures don't really care that much. Delays crept in as they worked out how to shove the whole thing into a predefined case which was designed to look good over any considerations to where parts go. Along with hiring devs on the cheap resulting in an infamous Twitter message of "redtube".

At the end of the day it was a mid-end Android phone with a buggy front-end and a tiny HDMI cable to plug into your TV which often toppled over because it was so light and sometimes overheated as the giant fan blocked any real airflow as they were unwilling to change the case design beyond adding a few small air gaps.

The UI was little more than a flashy launcher plastered over a default Android interface with poor consideration for the fact it was using a controller and occasionally trapped people with random Android keyboard prompts. The much vaunted root button was removed as they realised people could just flash a new firmware and sideload games. If you could download the day-one firmware patch without it failing. And you needed your credit card to get started.

People pointed out just adding a bluetooth controller and an HDMI cable to your phone basically did the same thing and it was faster, had better games and so on. Or just hacking your Wii or other devices to run an emulator. "But it's $99!!" cried the supporters.

Despite a lukewarm reception Ouya aimed to compete with the big three and argue they were a viable rival on the scene, pushing the fine notion that a $99 console was able to deliver top quality games comparable with a $600 console with bizarre claims like showing off how Ouya was better than a Playstation on the Amazon sales list.

Desperate to get a good games library they took anything, so their market was flooded with free-to-play rubbish with one or two games kind of making it. But soon devs realised they were better off selling on the other mobile markets as Ouya's insistence of all games having a free trial before buying meant barely anyone brought games.

Meanwhile backers were getting frustrated they hadn't gotten theirs but people could pick it up in stores. Which became a bit of an Easter egg hunt as stocks were stretched so thin and most stores didn't care so soon tucked them away in the back to gather dust.
At one point they were so understocked that people getting freebies of the console in a goodie bag were wondering why theirs came with an engraving of a backer's name.

This underdog fight continued into their death-spiral with bizarre ads and attempting to "hijack E3" with a DJ booth in the carpark inside a shipping container. This was followed by their attempt to boost their Ouya only games list with the infamous "free the games fund" where they proposed to match any game's Kickstarter pledge if it hits $50,000 or more, which was sized upon by unscrupulous developers keen to get free cash and run by pumping up their Kickstarter's value with bots.

And in the middle of the mess; invoke the curse of Osborne and announce an Ouya 2.

Despite Alibaba giving them $10 million to keep going they soon were unable to recoup debts, Razer brought them out and Julie stepped down as CEO and slipped out the back.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWC-dyZNf6M&t=80s

Somebody who speaks French tell me if this guy liked Star Citizen.

Its not a review, more of a "fun with friend" type of video. Its one player with some experience in the PU giving a kind of sightseeing tour to a first timer. A good ammount of time is spend laughing at the janky physic,

The final pronostic seem to be "guarded optimism". They end up saying that the game show potential but they have to develop it further. .

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Polish Avenger posted:

Donald would probably say, "I've been a goon for years. Honestly, it's a bad forum. Nothing funny in years. Lowtax, he had a good run but he's out of touch. I prefer 4chan now."

But the goons, you know, they love me over there. I can do anything I want. They love me.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
i hope that in the process of installing their free trial game that it fries someone's SSD. the idea of that happening is just too funny

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

This was followed by their attempt to boost their Ouya only games list with the infamous "free the games fund" where they proposed to match any game's Kickstarter pledge if it hits $50,000 or more, which was sized upon by unscrupulous developers keen to get free cash and run by pumping up their Kickstarter's value with bots.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1997247042/gridiron-thunder-awesome-indie-football-game-for-o

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Ahahaha look at Chris Roberts office:

What the gently caress is wrong with him, this is a work place and he has children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Polish Avenger posted:

Sorry to respond way late but Eternal Crusade looks so good. I played through Space Marine maybe three times just because I loved the combat and the art. This is so up my alley.

Wait for some updates. There is some potential but it is bare bones as gently caress right now.

• Locked thread