Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Materant posted:

And now I'm reminded of how long it's been since I last watched VGCW.

New season just started Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zuzie posted:

Since you mentioned Mortal Kombat in the video, I thought this Youtube clip would be appropriate

This is strangely beautiful.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You may have noticed that there was no DKC2 yesterday and that is because Artix doesn't have any time at all this week to work on it, so we're bumping DKCR up a day early to compensate. As an aside, this is apparently the CJacobs week because he's guesting in DKCR this week as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The number of close misses while trying to grab vines in this video really makes that grab animation completely worth it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I am working on DKC2, I swear! It's just that my schedule for this week is 8:30 PM - 6 AM with an hour drive both ways, which leaves me like, 3-4 hours to do everything that is not sleeping, working, or driving to work. And frankly, I would much rather play video games than edit footage of them on that kind of time constraints. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ISVKAbYcvc

Here is the episode of the Super Show that has Gorbachev in it. It's... it's a trip. That show was fuckin' weird.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Artix posted:

I am working on DKC2, I swear! It's just that my schedule for this week is 8:30 PM - 6 AM with an hour drive both ways, which leaves me like, 3-4 hours to do everything that is not sleeping, working, or driving to work. And frankly, I would much rather play video games than edit footage of them on that kind of time constraints. :v:

I'll wait. It'll give me more time to practice that level in Gloomy Gulch and show why it's a great level.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
You want to talk about war crimes, the fact that the checkpoint pig's name isn't Checkpoink is the greatest of them all.

Also from the last Tropical Freeze video, I approve of the idea of Donkey Kong but with Resident Evil 4 style death animations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

DKC3 had a maximum percentage of 105%, so you're off by one. And you're right, for that game they didn't put anything like a DK Coin in a bonus level, or a bonus level inside another bonus level. There were, however, two incidents of using Perry the Parallel Bird to unlock a Bonus Barrel, and you only had one shot to beat it. If you screwed up, you'd have to play the level all over again.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 29, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"What was that black goo?"

"CJacobs' vomit."

"...Oh. Okay."

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

CJacobs, have you noticed how Humanity looks like a silhouette of a Corn cob?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm halfway through the DKCR video and I think I'm ready to officially declare CJacobs the hero of LPs. I only regret there wasn't more slurring, you should drink more Cap'n, wet (whet?) your whistle during the video once or twice.

E: I just want to hold CJ and listen to The Antlers E: Nirvana and maybe eat White Castle. Is White Castle still a thing?

Lacedaemonius fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 31, 2016

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Y-Hat posted:

DKC3 had a maximum percentage of 105%, so you're off by one. And you're right, for that game they didn't put anything like a DK Coin in a bonus level, or a bonus level inside another bonus level. There were, however, two incidents of using Perry the Parallel Bird to unlock a Bonus Barrel, and you only had one shot to beat it. If you screwed up, you'd have to play the level all over again.
Don't remind me of that. As much as I love DKC3, Stampede Sprint is a nightmare.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I seem to recall that Cranky's trash bin of discarded heroes was labelled "No Hopers," and that Cranky's little editorials in the manual seemed to use the phrase a lot as well. That movie with the running gag about the phrase "fetch" was a good decade or so from coming out but it would have been a useful reference.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Txn posted:

Don't remind me of that. As much as I love DKC3, Stampede Sprint is a nightmare.

it's one of my favorite gimmick levels and a neat spin on the mine cart levels, which were already a more interesting autoscroller :shobon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lacedaemonius posted:

I'm halfway through the DKCR video and I think I'm ready to officially declare CJacobs the hero of LPs. I only regret there wasn't more slurring, you should drink more Cap'n, wet (whet?) your whistle during the video once or twice.

E: I just want to hold CJ and listen to The Antlers E: Nirvana and maybe eat White Castle. Is White Castle still a thing?

Hell yeah I'd be down for this any day. White Castle still exists, I ate there a few months ago and it was simultaneously delicious and depressing. The true fast food taste.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Looper posted:

it's one of my favorite gimmick levels and a neat spin on the mine cart levels, which were already a more interesting autoscroller :shobon:
I'm with you on this one, but there's no denying that level would have been more fondly remembered if it weren't for that drat bird.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I forgot to post these but since it came up in the DKCR videos, here are some pre-release DK64 screen shots.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Juicy Jungle, Part 2 :siren:

Today we finish up world 5 and stumble on the best song in the game. Or the second best, whatever. It's up there.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bashmaster's the fuckin best

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
So far as bosses go, he's oddly simplistic in his design; just a polar bear with a hammer. The arena you're fighting him in seems to be more interesting than the dude himself. That, combined with the part where the game only lets you hit him once before he does a lengthy pratfall into the piranha-filled syrup river (?) means that the boss fight seems unnecessarily padded and tedious.

Then again, boss fights in this game seem to be kind of padded in general.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
well he also had a popsicle but somebody had to ruin his day

i mean, i like his arena and i like his weird magic ice hammer and i like his music and i like his animations and i like how instead of turning red because he's mad he turns purple because you keep dunking him in popsicle juice and i like that he's a viking polar bear wearing a championship belt

Looper fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 1, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure the Polar Bear is meant to be the second in command of the Snomads, hence why he gets a magical weapon. He's also in my opinion the coolest boss in this game.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

As far as Retro game boss fights go, the polar bear didn't look that bad.

Apparently, its name is "Bashmaster, the Unbreakable." All the bosses except the last one have a similar naming format- the third boss is named "Ba-Boom, the Boisterous" and the first was "Pompy, the Presumptuous."

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 2, 2016

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's a well designed boss from a casual standpoint. Easy to figure out, forgivable, great music, lots of visual detail (such as his fur slowly getting more and more stained).

Speed runners hate him because for them he's entirely RNG and there's no way to speed him up and get faster hits unlike with every boss previously. Him and the final boss are annoying slogs for speed runners. Not that any of the other 9-hit wonders are exactly fun from a speedrunner's point of view, but they all have at least a little trick here or there (or in Fugu's case: buying an invincibility potion and just sitting inside him, swinging Cranky's cane).

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Bashmaster's boss theme is probably my favorite in the game. It's not fast, but it's got this solid hard rock core to it when it gets going that tells you this dude you're fighting is one bad polar bear.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMZa_vUQ1k dem synth chords

Blastinus posted:

So far as bosses go, he's oddly simplistic in his design; just a polar bear with a hammer. The arena you're fighting him in seems to be more interesting than the dude himself. That, combined with the part where the game only lets you hit him once before he does a lengthy pratfall into the piranha-filled syrup river (?) means that the boss fight seems unnecessarily padded and tedious.

Then again, boss fights in this game seem to be kind of padded in general.

i meant to respond to this earlier, but the dunking animation is a good opportunity for you to get situated, since you are having to deal with ice physics the whole time. it's nice to have some breathing room, unless you're super impatient. also you're commenting on simplistic design in a game full of them, the main character is just a gorilla in a necktie, it seems like a deliberate theme

Hobobeard
Feb 19, 2010
Artix has made a few references with guests to in-jokes from a DKC64 lp that they were in but I can't seem to find it listed on the archive or master list. I have not played DKC64 since release and remember almost nothing about it so I'm curious to see what it was.
I'd really appreciate if someone could link me to that lp.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That information is highly classified, as it is DK's biggest war crime and not safe for public consumption. :colbert:

it's a failed project that never saw the light of day

Hobobeard
Feb 19, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

That information is highly classified, as it is DK's biggest war crime and not safe for public consumption. :colbert:

it's a failed project that never saw the light of day

Oh... That's a shame. Thanks for the info.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Great Ape Hitler did nothing wrong" - CJacobs, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Hobobeard posted:

Artix has made a few references with guests to in-jokes from a DKC64 lp that they were in but I can't seem to find it listed on the archive or master list. I have not played DKC64 since release and remember almost nothing about it so I'm curious to see what it was.
I'd really appreciate if someone could link me to that lp.

To make a long story short, somewhere between the end of 13-2 and this LP Crow and I made a suicide pact - he would do White Knight Chronicles PSP and I would do DK64. He backed out almost immediately, and I got like...three worlds in before I ended up canning it. I was planning to do a glitch run of it but I haven't played the back half of the game in so long that I'm super rusty, and on top of that somewhere around Gloomy Galleon I realized there was no goddamn way to make it interesting so I killed it.

E: Also everything except Animal Antics and the true final boss are recorded for DKC2 now, I hope you guys are excited for no mild excessive savestate abuse!

Artix fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 2, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

To make a long story short, somewhere between the end of 13-2 and this LP Crow and I made a suicide pact - he would do White Knight Chronicles PSP and I would do DK64. He backed out almost immediately, and I got like...three worlds in before I ended up canning it. I was planning to do a glitch run of it but I haven't played the back half of the game in so long that I'm super rusty, and on top of that somewhere around Gloomy Galleon I realized there was no goddamn way to make it interesting so I killed it.

The other half of that story, the non-DK related part, is that White Knight Chronicles: Origins was also a dreadfully boring game that I couldn't make interesting either if I LP'd it. It held its story hostage behind mountains of tedious repetitive missions, and even then, the story was a boring non-starter that wasn't even rizzable like the PS3 games' ones were because nothing happened in it.

I never even finished playing through it for the sake of getting my bearings in preparation for LPing it. It was just painful.

Though in regard to the failed DKC64 LP itself:

• Serial killer llama
  • Funky Kong is a paramilitary arms dealer now
  • DK Island's economy has gone to poo poo
  • Cranky's turning the Kongs into the X-Men
  • Oh yeah, Cranky's thing in this game is illegal genetic experimentation
  • Dixie asked for too much money so Rare replaced her with Tiny Kong
  • Candy Kong wants to gently caress everyone who visits her shop and has disturbingly realistic boobs
  • There are only. Four. Playable. Kongs.
  • :colbert:
  • I'm pretty sure that giant crocodile is mildly retarded
  • DK has a sawed off shotgun and hand grenades made of oranges
  • OOOOH BANANA

There. You're all caught up.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 3, 2016

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The other half of that story, the non-DK related part, is that White Knight Chronicles: Origins was also a dreadfully boring game that I couldn't make interesting either if I LP'd it. It held its story hostage behind mountains of tedious repetitive missions, and even then, the story was a boring non-starter that wasn't even rizzable like the PS3 games' ones were because nothing happened in it.

I never even finished playing through it for the sake of getting my bearings in preparation for LPing it. It was just painful.

Though in regard to the failed DKC64 LP itself:

• Serial killer llama
  • Funky Kong is a paramilitary arms dealer now
  • DK Island's economy has gone to poo poo
  • Cranky's turning the Kongs into the X-Men
  • Oh yeah, Cranky's thing in this game is illegal genetic experimentation
  • Dixie asked for too much money so Rare replaced her with Tiny Kong
  • Candy Kong wants to gently caress everyone who visits her shop and has disturbingly realistic boobs
  • There are only. Four. Playable. Kongs.
  • :colbert:
  • I'm pretty sure that giant crocodile is mildly retarded
  • DK has a sawed off shotgun and hand grenades made of oranges
  • OOOOH BANANA

There. You're all caught up.

You forgot
[*]Lanky Kong is the best/worst Kong

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Artix posted:

E: Also everything except Animal Antics and the true final boss are recorded for DKC2 now, I hope you guys are excited for no mild excessive savestate abuse!
The key to the one section is Animal Antics is to not constantly flap fast as Squawks. Taking your time makes things a bit more manageable.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dk island has never had a strong economy

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Serial killer llama? I know it's been years but you'd think I'd remember that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Derek Barona posted:

Serial killer llama? I know it's been years but you'd think I'd remember that.

I looked it up just now and it's actually a camel, but it looks nothing like a camel. Basically it is in a cage spitting on you and you have to release it from the cage to solve the temple puzzle.

...but it had to be in the cage for a reason, right???? What if it was a serial killer and the kongs just let a murderer run loose in the name of banana?????

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
All I know is Chunky is the best Kong and they need to bring him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Llama is that dude from Dark Souls games who you let out and then other npcs start mysteriously dying

• Locked thread