Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ferrite beads are actually not recommended in the USB 2.0 and above cable specs, since it can cause data errors at high speeds.

For ordinary USB audio it probably doesn't matter, though.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

My DAC seems to need a cable with one because without it it restarts when I turn off my desk fan.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

KozmoNaut posted:

Ferrite beads are actually not recommended in the USB 2.0 and above cable specs, since it can cause data errors at high speeds.

Indeed. I pulled it from a printer just so I had something to use with the iphone and cck in case the store didn't have any loose cables and/or weren't willing to pull one out. Worked fine for the brief auditioning I did.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't ferrite beads chiefly attenuate higher (like MHz range)? That would make sense I guess.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yes, they effectively raise the inductance in the cable, attenuating high frequencies* beyond a certain point.

*In the MHz range.

E: Here's another fun video from AV Show Reports. How would you show off your brand-new speakers that have been hyped as some of the best in the world for every kind of music?

By playing some all-midrange cello music, of course! :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6x1yY5C1DM

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 1, 2016

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Croc Monster posted:

Today I went and auditioned some high-end headphone stuff. In preparation, I brought an extra-special usb cable along for the DACs: mylar shielded and ferrite chokes! Only paid $599.

Oh wait, sorry, that's $5.99

#TrippLite4Lyfe

poo poo son my shits REALLY bidirectional!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0191EB658/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_qB4RwbZPAJ9DD

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Cello has a lot of fine detail and over/undertones that are VERY hard to capture and reproduce in a manner at all similar to live. :colbert:

e: yep, those speakers sound like unremarkable boxes crammed into the corners of a nearly cubic hotel room

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 1, 2016

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

How does that work?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Panty Saluter posted:

Cello has a lot of fine detail and over/undertones that are VERY hard to capture and reproduce in a manner at all similar to live. :colbert:

e: yep, those speakers sound like unremarkable boxes crammed into the corners of a nearly cubic hotel room

If my car stereo can do a reasonably good job of it, it can't be THAT hard.

And yeah, AN seems to specialize in unremarkable boxy speakers that require corner placement to have any semblance of a bass response. Remember, they "they'll put most speakers to shame that have two 12-inch bass units" :rolleyes:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I think it's mostly down the recording side. Compare the live cello in that video to the recording - even in a totally suboptimal situation the body resonance and other fun details are plainly audible. Most cello (and string) recordings I hear sound like they're recorded way the hell back in a non-resonant space, and then compressed and eq'd until everything is nice and smooth. I'm sure most people prefer it but it's boring as hell to me.

KozmoNaut posted:

If my car stereo can do a reasonably good job of it, it can't be THAT hard.

And yeah, AN seems to specialize in unremarkable boxy speakers that require corner placement to have any semblance of a bass response. Remember, they "they'll put most speakers to shame that have two 12-inch bass units" :rolleyes:

Well sure, if those dual 12" speakers came off the back of a white van

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 1, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Dtow1hCgU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It probably does add some distortion and nonlinearity to the sound, in a way that some people find pleasing. Pretty drat expensive for a non-configurable EQ, though.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
You'd be pretty annoyed if it sounded the same!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this video is pretty sarcastic and self-effacing, but it's not sarcastic and self-effacing enough to convince me the guy isn't into this. i'm confused.

it does however give me hope that i can put a waveshaper on an arduino and sell it for a premium as long as there's also a tube socket on the case.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

it does however give me hope that i can put a waveshaper on an arduino and sell it for a premium as long as there's also a tube socket on the case.

You can, and you don't even need to lie about it. Products like these and Beats by Dre are a response to the last 50 years of efforts to make audio reproduction as perfect as possible. There is definitely a trend and a market for products that make music sound nice and warm and fuzzy. It's kinda why things like the vintage radio posted a few pages back still have a purpose, their cabinets are almost made the same way the body of a guitar or violin is made. They have a unique sound that some people find very pleasing.

Edit: I just wish these companies would get rid of the awful blue leds and use nixie tubes instead.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 2, 2016

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

this video is pretty sarcastic and self-effacing, but it's not sarcastic and self-effacing enough to convince me the guy isn't into this. i'm confused.

I've watched quite a few of his videos because the ones about old/weird/rare a/v gear are pretty interesting. His opinions about audio are generally reasonable, but he does have some questionable ones of the "middle aged dude more comfortable with the stuff he grew up with than modern tech" variety. So, yeah, really liking tube gear is right up his alley. He's into it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Theris posted:

I've watched quite a few of his videos because the ones about old/weird/rare a/v gear are pretty interesting. His opinions about audio are generally reasonable, but he does have some questionable ones of the "middle aged dude more comfortable with the stuff he grew up with than modern tech" variety. So, yeah, really liking tube gear is right up his alley. He's into it.

I don't think he's uncomfortable with newer technology, he uses a pretty swanky streaming box as his primary music source, and does a lot of reviews of newish tech stuff. I kinda like that he reviews stuff from his "normal bloke with limited tech knowledge" pespective and is quite honest about the limits of what he knows.

He does have an appreciation for older tech and obsolete formats, from the well-known stuff like Laserdisc and 8-track to wonderfully obscure stuff like the Tefifon and the Playtape. And he has a completely reasonable nostalgic love for cassette tapes since they were his primary source of music when he was younger, but maybe that's just because I also grew up with cassette tapes as my primary music source and only practical portable format. The discman took some years before the anti-skip was actually usable, but a walkman would play just fine, even if you were jogging or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

I have to say from this video and my (limited) experience with type IV tapes and Dolby S that you could actually get some remarkably decent sound quality out of the darn things. Pretty good for a format originally only intended for dictaphones and reasonable quality voice playback.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I have to say from this video and my (limited) experience with type IV tapes and Dolby S that you could actually get some remarkably decent sound quality out of the darn things. Pretty good for a format originally only intended for dictaphones and reasonable quality voice playback.

A quick googling suggests that combo would get you 18+khz with 80+db of SNR, so virtually indistinguishable from CD unless you have perfect teenage ears and/or crank it enough to hear the hiss. Impressive indeed.

Edit: of course there's still wow/flutter/etc, but still

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 2, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

So it's a perfect avatar for this thread :v:

It's the weird space of essentially being one of "those people", just being on the opposite side of the coin. While the tube processor no doubt adds some euphonic distortion (I'm guessing the small amount of background noise is what makes it feel more spacious - maybe some phase distortion and crosstalk too), it's the sort of novelty that wears thin with repeated listening. I would know, I actually bought one of the first "3D Stereo" processors SRS Labs ever put out.

...and yes, it's a very expensive DSP/EQ with only one mode to play with. The video still amused me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I liked his cassette video, which I stumbled on despite not watching anything like that on YT normally, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on his other videos. He might not always be right, but he's not an audiophilic nut job given that he was happy to say Dolby S sounds really good, and it needed him switching back and forth the lossless source to notice there's a difference. It was also a pretty well produced video, so an enjoyable watch.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Don't get me wrong, I like his channel and I like the video. I thought the adenoidal audiophile puppet was funny and even reasonably accurate. I just don't agree 100%.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TomR posted:

How does that work?

USB autodetects which wire is which, making it functionally reversible. Someone figured out that a trapezoid shape will fit Upside down in the ports making a faux USB C.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Wasabi the J posted:

USB autodetects which wire is which, making it functionally reversible. Someone figured out that a trapezoid shape will fit Upside down in the ports making a faux USB C.

The end that goes into the computer is the one that's confusing. I can see how a reversible micro-usb connector would work, but the other end... I believe it does (the reviews say it does, sometimes poorly) I'm just curious about the mechanism and none of the reviews actually delved into how the end that goes into the computer/usb port actually accomplishes the ability to go in backwards. Is the plastic bit holding the connectors flexible and floating in there?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GutBomb posted:

The end that goes into the computer is the one that's confusing. I can see how a reversible micro-usb connector would work, but the other end... I believe it does (the reviews say it does, sometimes poorly) I'm just curious about the mechanism and none of the reviews actually delved into how the end that goes into the computer/usb port actually accomplishes the ability to go in backwards. Is the plastic bit holding the connectors flexible and floating in there?

It is; I wish I could say it's totally perfect but it's kind of takes a surprising amount of force to put in at first, but it's honestly not something that is too bad once you're used to it, and it seems to have mellowed out a bit. It mostly feels like a really stiff USB plug.

It's great just taking something and plugging it the gently caress in, and it just WORKS, regardless of whether you look at the port or not; this does lead to the unexpected issue of trying to jam it mistakenly in HDMI ports on the side of my laptop, though.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's not superposition, USB A just has rotational symmetry of 1/2

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My everyday super power is being able to correctly insert a USB-A plug in only two tries.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

USB-C proliferation can't come soon enough

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

WugLyfe posted:

USB-C proliferation can't come soon enough

I'm not in any hurry:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/03/surjtech_typec_usb_cable_problem/

quote:

He reported that he plugged the cable into his 2015 edition Pixel via a USB power delivery analyzer and connected it to an Apple 12W iPad charger. The second the connection was made it fried both the analyzer and the Pixel laptop.

The analyzer, and a second unit he tried, both died on contact with the cable and not even a firmware reinstall would get them working. As for the Pixel, both USB ports died as the current fried the embedded controller, meaning the laptop couldn't be charged or linked to another device.

"I directly analyzed the Surjtech cable using a Type-C breakout board and a multimeter, and it appears that they completely miswired the cable. The GND pin on the Type-A plug is tied to the Vbus pins on the Type-C plug. The Vbus pin on the Type-A plug is tied to GND on the Type-C plug," he wrote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Take 30 seconds to research what you're buying and you won't have a problem. His profile on Amazon lists plenty of perfectly fine cables. (And don't borrow from random people, I guess.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

(And don't borrow from random people, I guess.)

You're never going to stop this. I shouldn't have the expectation if I need to charge my iPhone and I use someone elses lightning cable that my phone might catch fire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I had a similar problem with DisplayPort when it first started becoming common. I got some crappy chinese counterfeit cable where they had just wired 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 and so without even bothering to look at the spec, which clearly says a couple of pins are supposed to be unconnected in a DP-DP cable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're never going to stop this. I shouldn't have the expectation if I need to charge my iPhone and I use someone elses lightning cable that my phone might catch fire.
I agree. So never use someone else's cables unless they're from a brand you're familiar with, I guess?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I already have enough trouble convincing people that using £1 chargers is a really bad idea. I've never personally dealt with any dangerous lightning cables, even pound store ones, but might just be lucky. Maybe lightning is designed in a way where it's got more safety features in case of shoddy construction.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lightning cables are active and have a chip in them. That limits how cheaply they can be made.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Funnily enough I've never had the incompatibility error people have had, but the lifespan of £1 cables is... limited, we shall say that. Dead useful for emergency backups though. I did what the iPhone thread title said and bought a double pack of Ankers, they seem pretty decent.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Oh boy oh boy. Someone remarked that when you see the name Accuphase on the front of an amplifier, you know the sound quality will be much better than if you had bought a Denon or a NAD or some other "mid-fi" component. I asked him whether the name was more important than the specs, and jokingly if that was because the signal goes through the nameplate on the front and if that somehow makes it better.

I should not have done that.

quote:

1: I have never written the name means more than the specifications, but a TROLL probably reads it enough such.
2: I never said that the signal goes through the nameplate, but a TROLL can probably get that idea
3: It is impossible to debate with a deadlocked theorist who has limited practical experience.
4: If you have heard these amplifiers there should be no doubt, unless one is a TROLL
5: When you stick your tail between your legs and run away from a proposed test, or run away from a thread where you can no longer cope behind a PC, then you are a TROLL
6: I Wrote earlier that I will skip all discussions with you over and told you to not quote me anymore - To do so anyway = TROLL
7: You are probably not even aware of how ignorant you really are at the high end area, but you try to talk the talk, with your "experience" from low-fi.
Regarding Hifi in the heavier end, it's clear you only read through to things.

Your gear is clearly showing that you are in low-fi / mid-fi and are quite happy with it and so many of your hopeless deadlocked theoretical writings are probably right.

I think when you say you will not be able to tell the difference between your own NAD and an Accuphase E-406, that is not an appliance fault, it's because you have not tried, and because you've read some measurements that in theory they should give similar results.
I then wonder why you exactly have chosen the NAD, because in your statements there are plenty of alternatives at a fraction of the price

:allears:

RE: his point #5, about 8 months ago I did back out of a DAC listening test because it was 50 miles away and I couldn't find the time for it. It was also going to be set up by a raging crazy-rear end audiophile, and I honestly don't feel any compulsion to visit a person like that.

That was on a completely different forum that I subsequently stopped visiting, because most of the users were rabid cable fetishists, all circlejerking over the latest overpriced junk and not at all interested in constructive debate. I have no idea why he considers it necessary to hold a grudge on that basis.

I'm kinda hoping I can get his blood pressure high enough to burst a vein or something, preferably all over his expensive high-end fancypants stereo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You're doing good. :allears:

It's always entertaining with people who jump to the conclusion that anyone who doesn't agree with them must be trolling. A friend of mine is doing a similar thing in various homeopathy / natural remedy / alternative medicine groups on Facebook, trying his best to teach people some critical thought. The reaction is pretty much the same that you get, "if you're not with us you're an evil troll and a plant by BIG PHARMA".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They are so fervent in their beliefs that they absolutely refuse to entertain any suggestion that they might be wrong. If any perceived differences disappear under double blind testing, obviously the test is flawed or the "stressful" testing conditions interfere with their hearing, which is perfect in every way :rolleyes:

And if attacking double blind tests in general doesn't get them anywhere, they'll start attacking the hearing and gear of anyone who disagrees with them. The gist of it seems to be that there is a minimum amount of money you absolutely must spend on your stereo, to have any hope at all of getting good sound quality. Curiously enough, this magical minimum required "investment" is always slightly less than what the audiophile in question has spent on his own gear :homebrew:

It happens every drat time my gear happens to be brought up. "Studio monitors don't sound good, they're too analytical", "Your DAC is cheap and only meant to connect TVs with TOSLINK outputs to stereos, it smears the details", "The analog->digital->analog conversion in your DSP crossover introduces noise and inaccurary to the signal" and so on. I'm just wondering, is my sound too detailed, or not detailed enough? Or do the two factors cancel each other out somehow in magical audiophile woo-woo land? I'm stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

KozmoNaut posted:

"Studio monitors don't sound good, they're too analytical"
I've never been a fan of this in general, but it's especially stupid coming from audiophiles talking about detail and accuracy and generally wanking around about minute or inexistent amounts of jitter and poo poo like that.

Accurate or "all round pleasing", dickshits, pick a side at the very least, goddamn.