Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'm trying to come up with a list of the successful goon games made during my time on something awful I'll put the list here:

1.???????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6314993/#Comment_6314993

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm trying to come up with a list of the successful goon games made during my time on something awful I'll put the list here:

1.???????????????

By 'goon games', you mean entirely constructed rather than being contributed to by a goon?

'Goon led' games, perhaps?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Iglocska posted:

Sure it can't get any worse than this?...

My bosses are incompetent as well, but their dressing downs are still mostly appropriate, and they don't cuss us out. It's still better than retail, food service, or CIG. I'm job hunting anyway, though, because "Well it could be worse" is no excuse.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes of course. Hopefully they have space cheerleaders for the respective teams.

I tried Googling "space cheerleader" and only found something about iCarly, whatever that is. Not recommended.

LuiCypher posted:

Hey man, my high school based the tune of its alma mater song on the Deutschlandlied (the first stanza of which is often sung with Horst Wessel Lied).

I wish I was kidding. I don't think Sandi went to my high school, though.

How embarrassing. And of course now I have Horst Wessel Lied stuck in my head. I BETTER not start absentmindedly humming it at work, especially because my bosses are Jewish. I mean, yeah, I'm looking for a new job, but . . . I'd like to exit gracefully, not forcefully.

I want to be a science! :science: :yayclod:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
An entirely Goon run project is doomed to failure. I don't think it has ever been established how much goon ruins a game.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Hav posted:

By 'goon games', you mean entirely constructed rather than being contributed to by a goon?

'Goon led' games, perhaps?

Yeah, no doubt there is a good amount of developers and whatnot on the forums, I mean like, "LETS MAKE A GAME" zyborne clock style

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/tentonhammernetwork/what_happened_to_star_marine/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I don't think Chris is going to address poo poo in 10FTC. The guy is a juggernaut - he's just gonna steamroll ahead with whatever he wants to do, regardless of his backers. Unless he's attacked by either Derek Smart or a negative press article, he doesn't listen or care. I predict a low-key, boring set of 10 questions that he mumbles his rear end through, and that's it.

If the rumblings I've read here are correct, though, aren't we due for another announcement of scope being scaled back?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

1.???????????????

wasn't the guy who made doodle jump or cut the rope a goon i forget which

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

spacetoaster posted:

I'm certain it's not going to be addressed.

Well, more than 70/30.

There's a chance. I mean, we all read his dumb reaction to the escapist article.

To be honest (and I know I'm giving a lot of credit) I would be amazed if he didn't at least do a 10 second mea culpa on how he originally planned to give his comments.

If not, quite a giant "gently caress you" to everyone.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Bootcha posted:

So did my boarding school.

What, until Obama shut you down?

:downsrim:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

1.???????????????

"Predict How CIG Will Fail" may be the best goon-created online game experience I've ever had.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

I'm p sure James Brand has trolled us all.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

1.???????????????

Conveniently forgetting all the Gamejam games aren'tya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8KSQDyLug

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

1.???????????????

there was a goon that worked on fallout new vegas. he put in a johnny five aces reference and everything.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The Shitizens should be grateful for Derek Smart. Accusing everybody of either being DS or a DS shill is their go-to argument, and they sure do like to bang on about LOD.

James Brand and other dumb Shitizens: nobody here gives a gently caress about LOD. It being bad does not mean Shart Shitizen is not also bad.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dropsy was supposedly good? I don't really like adventure games so I have no idea what constitutes a good one or a bad one.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Lol http://www.pcgamer.com/rogue-ant-simulator-devs-blow-budget-on-liquor-and-strippers/

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

1.???????????????

SS13. The lovely engine was made by BYOND, but like 90% of all the modules for the game were made by goons I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOOT_3U4rZM - Looking forward to seeing more of this for Star Citizen. Continue the good work :pgabz: O9

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

"Predict How CIG Will Fail" may be the best goon-created online game experience I've ever had.

Tell Tale games should pick up the lingering pieces left after dissolution. Crank out 5 episodes of it. Play as a new-hire in CIG and progress through your career of misfortune.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

These people must think about Derek Smart more often that Derek Smart does. Their all consuming disappointment over the state of Fart Shitizen channeled into 24/7 Derek Smart rage.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Well, if you're gonna blow your crowd funding strippers and booze is a classic. It's at least more interesting than overpriced furniture and chasing dead Hollywood dreams.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Berious posted:

These people must think about Derek Smart more often that Derek Smart does.

Whoa! Lets not exaggerate here.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

Well, if you're gonna blow your crowd funding strippers and booze is a classic. It's at least more interesting than overpriced furniture and chasing dead Hollywood dreams.

You can respect booze, strippers and fine dining. Overpriced hipster furniture and trying to cargo cult a Hollywood career is just a sad spectacle.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
well i was just trying to make a joke about unsuccessful goon projects but I guess I'm wrong

I could go the citizen route and freak out and call you all liars or trolls or something though IDK what to do

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I've read a lot of discontent on the CIG forums and elsewhere about the Star Marine module etc., but has there been backer outcry about the sudden nearly exclusive focus on SQ42? You know, the part of the game most of them don't care about? I would have expected most of the vitriol to be aimed in that direction, since it's a redirection of backer funds that borders on misappropriation. Yeah I know SQ42 was always a "goal" on their page, but everyone knows drat well that wasn't what they were using to hoover up all this cash. Am I just missing it all?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

blueberrysmith posted:

I'm p sure James Brand has trolled us all.
Troll or not, it's weird to post stuff like that on an account linked to your Facebook account.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

well i was just trying to make a joke about unsuccessful goon projects but I guess I'm wrong

I could go the citizen route and freak out and call you all liars or trolls or something though IDK what to do

I backed Kinetic Void, it was supposed to be made by some goons (except it was never finished). Does that count?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

1.???????????????

Pretty sure Smedley from planet side 2 was a goon

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
also cliffyb used to post on sa

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
is htis out yet

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

James Brand doing his thang.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

a while back but this was missing something

Goons should convert this thread into a humorous version of the bible then publish it. I'm sure it'd sell better than Derek's planned book.

~To quote the book of Peter Gabriel book 3 verse 12, "See you in the 'Universe commandos! 09"~

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

I've read a lot of discontent on the CIG forums and elsewhere about the Star Marine module etc., but has there been backer outcry about the sudden nearly exclusive focus on SQ42? You know, the part of the game most of them don't care about? I would have expected most of the vitriol to be aimed in that direction, since it's a redirection of backer funds that borders on misappropriation. Yeah I know SQ42 was always a "goal" on their page, but everyone knows drat well that wasn't what they were using to hoover up all this cash. Am I just missing it all?

Nah, Citizens haven't figured out how to deal with that particular headache yet. It'll be harder for them too because everyone knew from the start Chris wanted to make a lovely space FMV game. Now, if we still haven't seen game footage about October - or when it becomes apparent that nothing much is happening in 2.1.2.whatever, then there will be some nice whale tears

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
I just read something online: "The greatest ideas in the world will die on the vine if not properly implemented." How tragically apropos.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

No you aren't. I'm curious what they are going to price the disaster at (along with potential starter package pricing). Will it be $20/40/60? Its a double AAA game after all.

Everyone is focused on the PTU which of course is not their focus anymore. "Carrack Thursdays" with immediate family and nephews is the main focus of the backers and associated nutcases.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Justin Tyme posted:

The funniest thing to me is how there were people out there who honestly and earnestly thought Star Marine was going to come in like 2.1 or was just around the corner or something, like imagine believing it was coming in a week or two based off some off-the-cuff remark on the forums.

:psyduck: this was... exactly... what star marine... was going to be??????????????????????????????????????? :psyduck::psyduck:
:psyduck:

:gary:

Say what you will about Lethality, but atleast he has a good relationship with his parents

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

No you aren't. I'm curious what they are going to price the disaster at (along with potential starter package pricing). Will it be $20/40/60? Its a double AAA game after all.

Everyone is focused on the PTU which of course is not their focus anymore. "Carrack Thursdays" with immediate family and nephews is the main focus of the backers and associated nutcases.

They haven't even begun hawking "season passes" yet

I don't even know if it's clear how many "chapters" there will be. There used to be three right? "Squadron 42", "Behind Enemy Lines" and "Generic Vaguely Military Phrase Here". Now it's split up even further I guess?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

They haven't even begun hawking "season passes" yet

I don't even know if it's clear how many "chapters" there will be. There used to be three right? "Squadron 42", "Behind Enemy Lines" and "Generic Vaguely Military Phrase Here". Now it's split up even further I guess?

Yeah, that's what I don't get. Episodes, chapters, etc.

I expect by the middle of December "SQ42: Prologue" or some such nonsense will be released.

They should save everyone some pain and just release "SQ42: Epilogue "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Booblord Zagats posted:

Say what you will about Lethality, but atleast he has a good relationship with his parents

There is absolutely nothing healthy about that.

• Locked thread