Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you decide to take the job, make sure you set aside a substantial chunk of your paycheck for savings. You don't want to be financially stuck if the place ends up being too crazy for you.

Every time I start a new job everyone is shocked to hear the about the concept of 6-months of savings. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Re: KillHour :words:

I'd be inclined to investigate it, since the $$$ upside is so high. If you mentioned this before I apologize, but do you have $110-120K-level skills in your market? Is this job a pipedream? Why are they picking you? I definitely wouldn't screw over your bird in the hand and I'd be clear with the director on that (and use it to demonstrate the level of commitment you'd have to them as well) but I wouldn't run from it just because they aren't like every other cookie cutter organization.

Would you not go out with a girl just because she wanted you to tie her up the first time? If you're scared, don't, but I say roll the dice because it might be life-changing...

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I'm into that, so :wiggle:

But seriously, yes. I'm easily qualified for the job. I took my current job because the market in my area sucks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

I got a call from the guy I interviewed with yesterday. At 10:30PM.

He said he hasn't talked to the guy I interviewed with today, but he will tomorrow and he asked me how it went (I think it went well).

So he called you at a really unacceptable hour of the night unprepared?

quote:

He asked me if I could move up the technical presentation I was supposed to give on the 8th (which I already asked off work for) to Monday morning.

"Sorry, I can't shuffle my schedule around like that."

quote:

Paraphrasing his words: "I don't want to jump into things, because you're not hired yet, but the whole company is doing internal training all next week starting Tuesday, so if you could be in it, that would get you ahead of the curve and would be a big help for our schedule."

What the gently caress do I do?

"If you want me to attend your training I will need to be an employee. I will also need time to consider a written job offer."

gently caress this guy. Written offer or bust. Call their HR after you get it and say you're ready to accept (if you are) and see what happens.

Edit: And I forgot:

quote:

Director

You know they often let people make up titles to fill egos instead of paying them more money, right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair, he texted me at 7:30 and asked if it would be okay to call then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

Yeah, that part I'm not finding unusual if they have a real need to fill the position ASAP. I had a day's worth of interviews for my current job and the director called me direct that evening to work out compensation. I had the offer material in PDF in my email at 7 AM the next morning.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

KillHour posted:

He also is asking you to burn bridges and quit your current job without notice, tie up all your personal affairs and relocate in a hot minute because he doesn't want to spend the extra time to train you individually

Pursue this opportunity, but temper this guy's expectations or he is going to make your life absolute living hell if you show him that you jump when he says to jump

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KillHour posted:

Unprepared is the key part of that. Now you've actually made it worse, he had 3 hours to prepare to discuss hiring you. Tell them you really have to give 2 weeks notice. "I assume you would want the same courtesy from anyone with whom you work."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I called him and let him know that I couldn't endanger my position without an offer in hand. He was very understanding and asked me to do a training one on one with him that night, and tentatively keep the 8th open. He seems like a very nice guy. Still a bit crazy though.

Edit: and he made it clear that the reason he couldn't just give me an offer is because he needs to hear me present. The job is to be lead technical trainer, so that makes sense.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 29, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Okay, here's the problem. I want to hire you, but first I want to know if you're the kind of guy I can trust. I'm going to let you in on a little secret, there's an underground boxing match tonight out by the docks, and it's just for gamblers, lots of money moving around. The thing is, I happen to know that the contender is going to be taking a dive in round 4. The thing is, the bookie there knows me so I can't show my face. What I need you to do is place some bets for me. Take this envelope, it's got $30,000. Remember, the contender gets KO'ed in the fourth round.

So you're asking, what's in it for me? Well first, you get the job, but if you want, you can put some of your own money down on the fight too, a little bit or a lot, it's up to you. How about this, you go to the bank, you pull out cash, and you lock it up in your glovebox. You go to the fight, and if you feel like it's sketchy, you just make my bet and throw down a $20. If it seems legit, you go out to your car and grab some more. Win Win.

See you after the fight!
Thanks for this

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Thanks for this

What is that from?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I think I convinced my boss to buy us some licenses of PDQ Deploy. :toot:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KillHour posted:

What is that from?

It's an infamous historical scam by a guy named Joseph “Yellow Kid” Weil.

The mark would be an exceptionally wealthy gambler, the kind of person who could be persuaded to make a million dollar bet.
The entire boxing match is a fake, not just the boxers, but the crowd, the other wealthy gamblers, the bookies, the ref, and a doctor. There's literally only one person not in on the scam.
The boxer is expected to go down in the sixth round, so there are plenty of opportunities to get the mark to increase his bet. Like, by round 5, they are offering 100 to 1 odds. The mark is convinced that he's going to clean out the entire room.
In the sixth round, right off the bat, the boxer who is supposed to take a fall throws a lucky punch that hits the other boxer right in the temple, sending him down like a rock, blood pouring from his mouth. A doctor climbs into the ring and shakes his head grimly, he's dead.

So not only is the mark out of his bet, he also has a good reason to never mention this again or he'd be implicating himself in a serious crime.
If the con artist wants to continue the scam, he can then blackmail the mark, threatening to rat them out to the police.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think I convinced my boss to buy us some licenses of PDQ Deploy. :toot:

Fantastic, I love that and PDQ Inventory.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dross posted:

Fantastic, I love that and PDQ Inventory.

Yeah, I think the free version of PDQ Inventory will work for us, but basically if I want the paid version we can.

Kinda surprised with how cheap their licensing is.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright, hopefully I'm not spamming but I'm sending this in Tomorrow! Any final ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnpEE1cbE_HtrT2NHzRKKz8CPYJBv4QnFSQ2Vc7JvaM/edit?usp=sharing

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I'm not sure expecting to complete the A+ belongs on the resume or not, it seems a little odd to me but maybe some of the people with more experience hiring can chime in there. Might be something for the cover letter instead.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Turtlicious posted:

Alright, hopefully I'm not spamming but I'm sending this in Tomorrow! Any final ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YnpEE1cbE_HtrT2NHzRKKz8CPYJBv4QnFSQ2Vc7JvaM/edit?usp=sharing

"Perform troubleshooting on OSX 10.6+ and tablets" is confusing. Troubleshooting on what running OSX 10.6+? Tablets running what?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Turtlicious posted:

Be way more specific. "Delivered Targeted IT Support Training for 8 employees" - more of that

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

rafikki posted:

I'm not sure expecting to complete the A+ belongs on the resume or not, it seems a little odd to me but maybe some of the people with more experience hiring can chime in there. Might be something for the cover letter instead.

Yeah, I'd leave that out. That or just specify that you're pursuing/studying for it and leave out the date that you plan to take it (June is quite a while from now).

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Darril Gibson released his new book for those of you look to get certified and get ahead in life in general http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...RCKAT5UAYQLRQHP

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
today we are having an all hands meeting with the ceo to learn about this mystifying new topic known as SEO or search engine optimization

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tell him he can improve your search results by emailing Ken@popehat.com and asking to write a short article for his site about what you do.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Teleworking question: if there are a dozen of remote workers, and no actual office or central servers/network, what's the best way to create a distributed "private" network? Does Merkai (or similar) have a teleworking product that creates a private network through VPNs, without there being a central point?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fork Tor. :v:

Edit: Use Kazaa to share files.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KillHour posted:

Tell him he can improve your search results by emailing Ken@popehat.com and asking to write a short article for his site about what you do.

Tell him he can jump to the head of the line if he sends a series of follow ups with increasing snippiness and entitlement.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

flosofl posted:

Tell him he can jump to the head of the line if he sends a series of follow ups with increasing snippiness and entitlement.

Ken is a good guy; no need to get angry with him. Mention how much you love ponies, though. That helps.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Alfajor posted:

Teleworking question: if there are a dozen of remote workers, and no actual office or central servers/network, what's the best way to create a distributed "private" network? Does Merkai (or similar) have a teleworking product that creates a private network through VPNs, without there being a central point?

Better question: what are you using this VPN for? If you just need to share files there are better options. If it's under like 25 people then yeah you could probably throw together a huge and terrible mesh VPN with a bunch of Meraki Z1 gateways but again I'd be asking "why" first.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Like everyone else said. If there's no central location then presumably there are no central resources either. So you don't need a VPN.

If you wanted to create a server-less environment with distributed workers then I'd look at putting domain controllers in :yaycloud: and setting up DirectAccess to ensure you can manage the Windows endpoints. No idea what you'd do for Macs.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

Thanks, that's kinda why I'm stuck too, don't know the why. I"ll probe some more in depth.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alfajor posted:

Thanks, that's kinda why I'm stuck too, don't know the why. I"ll probe some more in depth.

http://xyproblem.info/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Alfajor posted:

More than likely when they say VPN they actually mean some sort of centralized file sharing like a shared network drive. There are so many cloud storage providers out there now, just pick whichever one works best for your users.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Sharepoint!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SharePoint is good and cool

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

SharePoint is good and cool

Sharepoint on O365 means you don't even have to manage anything but the content. Works great for simplistic usage in our shop and OneDrive for business means I can sync all my junk docs and such into a library in the MySite section of the Sharepoint instance as well. Great for both business personal storage and business shared storage.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

So true, so true. Printed, and posted next to all my subversive posters in my office.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Alfajor posted:

SpringCM works really well for sharing files. Citrix sharefile and Egnyte are good but without a Windows server there are cheaper file hosting services.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My presentation/interview is in 2 hrs and 45 mins. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and in that time I think I may have a heart attack.

So... How's everybody doin?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

KillHour posted:

My presentation/interview is in 2 hrs and 45 mins. I'm just twiddling my thumbs and in that time I think I may have a heart attack.

Tired, We started deploying to Tokyo today and I learned that our deployment process has 0 documentation and most of the developers have no idea what they are doing. Just ask "the guy who did it last time" (who left the company 4 months ago) to do what he did last time.

You should probably play some video games to take your mind off the presentation, it'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

KillHour posted:

Everythings going well.