Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

About these pizza steels, are they any special type of steel? What I'm wondering is, why not just get myself to the junk yard and buy some 12mm (1/2") plate steel, carbon or stainless, for 1-3 euros a kilo and cut it to a suitable size and polish it up?

I did a cursory Google search and first results have people talking about a specific grade of steel probably for its thermal properties, but from what I saw I think you can go do that but success is not guaranteed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

3 euros a kilo sounds equivalent to what I paid for a new 3/8" steel from a local metal shop in the US. It's probably fine if its stainless, if its the kind of steel that could rust you would just have to scrub the gently caress out of it and then season it, but I guess that would work.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There was a goon project thread about steels that had all the info regarding the different types of stainless you may need.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Pizzzzza!

Margherita:

Margherita with proscuitto, mushrooms, fig jam:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ogopogo posted:

Pizzzzza!

Margherita:

Margherita with proscuitto, mushrooms, fig jam:

drat those are beautiful.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Forever pizza posting.

Got a new oven, did a test fire last night:

Took it to a friends house tonight for a little get together. This was the only photo I was able to take amidst the cooking and eating. The pizza disappeared as soon as it came out of the oven, hard to snap any post cook pics.
This is pesto with Javelina chorizo, balsamic reduction, buffalo mozzarella, and basil on a sourdough crust.

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 17, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

About these pizza steels, are they any special type of steel? What I'm wondering is, why not just get myself to the junk yard and buy some 12mm (1/2") plate steel, carbon or stainless, for 1-3 euros a kilo and cut it to a suitable size and polish it up?

I think you want to use a36 structural carbon/black steel for its conductivity and retention properties. No pickle & oil. I think it was hot rolled? Tell the steel mill that you're going to use it for food so they know not to treat it with anything dangerous. I liked 3/8 inch thickness.

Stainless steel is 1) expensive as hell compared to a36 and 2) a horrible heat conductor

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

You do want it pickled and oiled, otherwise it will come with mill scale - which you have to pickle to get off, and oil to keep off. Just give it a really good scrubbing with a soapy stainless scrubby and then bake it on high with oil to season it

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Home pizza cooking, no broiler activation (mine shuts off automatically if the oven is at 550), what's the consensus: pizza at top of oven or bottom?

I tend to not have any problems getting the bottom to cook because I have a steel but usually end up waiting awhile (10 mins or so cook time) for the pizza to actually brown on top and sometimes the cheese burns or whatever in the meantime. Obviously I'd like the whole thing to cook as fast as possible I think?

I used to pull it out after 4-5 mins but my wife says that she got raw dough one time and that I need to cook it a lot longer so I dunno, I mean maybe ~the truth is somewhere in the middle~ but she likes me to cook them the full 9-10 mins til it's like literally brown on top of the crust and I feel like the interior crust is pretty dried out by then

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 18, 2016

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Trying to get into the home pizza from scratch game.

I have now:
A scale for weighing flour and such
Stand mixer and food processor, but no food mill
What I think is a decent oven
Some bread flour and instant yeast
Can Cento whole tomatoes and enough seasonings and such for sauce

Need to get some quality cheese.

I was comparing these 2 products on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Square-Baking-Kitchen-Barbeque/dp/B00NMLKW6Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453126107&sr=8-3&keywords=baking+steel
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1453126107&sr=8-7&keywords=baking+steel

The cast iron pizza pan looked appealing but I hear baking steel is usually the way to go. Pretty much same price point.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A baking steel gives you a nice surface for baking bread and such on, as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Home pizza cooking, no broiler activation (mine shuts off automatically if the oven is at 550), what's the consensus: pizza at top of oven or bottom?

I tend to not have any problems getting the bottom to cook because I have a steel but usually end up waiting awhile (10 mins or so cook time) for the pizza to actually brown on top and sometimes the cheese burns or whatever in the meantime. Obviously I'd like the whole thing to cook as fast as possible I think?

I used to pull it out after 4-5 mins but my wife says that she got raw dough one time and that I need to cook it a lot longer so I dunno, I mean maybe ~the truth is somewhere in the middle~ but she likes me to cook them the full 9-10 mins til it's like literally brown on top of the crust and I feel like the interior crust is pretty dried out by then
it's always pizza top; the radiation from the top of the oven, even ignoring the broiler, is needed. You'll have to trick your oven with by cracking it open with a spoon or something to keep the broiler on with a long enough preheat that you won't be too negatively impacted.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Margherita to start:

Tomato, pesto, prosciutto, pancetta, balsamic reduction, buffalo mozzarella:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Cook on a lump of cast iron, broiler in the bottom of the oven to cook top of pizza, then put on stovetop to finish bottom.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My Samsung NX58 Gas Range kicks rear end for 7 minute pizzas and the Broiler doesn't seem to turn off it just displays 550 max. I leave the stone on the very bottom rack.

The Pizza Party oven setup would be great in the summer though for outdoor cooking.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 19, 2016

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
For cook chat, I still recommend some of the countertop electric ovens, which get up to ~750 degrees unmodified, and gets better from there with easy mods (thermal cutoff removal) and more complex ones (moving the bottom heating element to the top so they're doubled up)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=30#post445684011

You can buy ones here at retail (currently $100 with free shipping)

http://www.amazon.com/Newwave-The-P...wave+pizza+oven

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1272087/The+Petite+Pizzeria

And eBay has one currently at $25+$25 shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Wave-The-Petite-Pizzeria-Countertop-Pizza-Oven-LD-902-1200w-new-in-box-/281911103364

clockworx fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 19, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man I kinda wanna bite the bullet on that for only $100 but I seriously have no idea where in my kitchen or pantry I would store that bad boy when not in use

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just don't ever stop using it. Pizza all day every day.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

angor posted:

Just don't ever stop using it. Pizza all day every day.

This person knows what's up.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I inspected my pantry and ordered it anyway, I can throw some poo poo out

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Full one inch plate for your pizza steel or you're nothing. Who cares how heavy it is? What the hell are you moving it for? You think you're gonna make something other than pizza? That's a laugh.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

Trying to get into the home pizza from scratch game.

I have now:
A scale for weighing flour and such
Stand mixer and food processor, but no food mill
What I think is a decent oven
Some bread flour and instant yeast
Can Cento whole tomatoes and enough seasonings and such for sauce

Need to get some quality cheese.

I was comparing these 2 products on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Square-Baking-Kitchen-Barbeque/dp/B00NMLKW6Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453126107&sr=8-3&keywords=baking+steel
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1453126107&sr=8-7&keywords=baking+steel

The cast iron pizza pan looked appealing but I hear baking steel is usually the way to go. Pretty much same price point.

That steel is only a tenth of an inch thick, not sure if that's thick enough for pizza purposes

e: and the cast iron pan says it's only oven safe to 400 degrees Fahrenheit... not really sure what they mean by that though

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I left my pizza steel in the hands of someone who should have had it, and now it has a bunch of loving rust on it. I know this is the stone thread but I figure it's close enough. Go to town with steel wool or what??

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Yep, that and a reseason will do it

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
awesome, thank you.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Steve Yun posted:

I think you want to use a36 structural carbon/black steel for its conductivity and retention properties. No pickle & oil. I think it was hot rolled? Tell the steel mill that you're going to use it for food so they know not to treat it with anything dangerous. I liked 3/8 inch thickness.

Stainless steel is 1) expensive as hell compared to a36 and 2) a horrible heat conductor

There's no mill here just a big junk yard. I was walking around the scrap heaps looking for other stuff, I kinda forgot about this. No fun being outside in -20C weather. I found something that looked like it could have been an inch thick steel but it was gigantic and I didn't have any way to cut pieces off it when I was there. Prices where probably 60 cents to a euro rather than 3 euros / kg though.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 22, 2016

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm having trouble with pizza and I think it's my oven.

I have a 3/8" pizza steel and a gas oven-last week I let it preheat for 1.5 hours at 500(max setting) and I barely got any browning on the bottom.

Would the oven temp be the only problem here or could dough composition play a role?

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster
#pizzahut is great pizza and a great #brand

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

nwin posted:

I'm having trouble with pizza and I think it's my oven.

I have a 3/8" pizza steel and a gas oven-last week I let it preheat for 1.5 hours at 500(max setting) and I barely got any browning on the bottom.

Would the oven temp be the only problem here or could dough composition play a role?

What position was the steel in inside the oven? How long did your pizzas take to cook? If the steel was quite high, you might be better off moving it down closer to the bottom so the top cooks a little slower and has more time to sit on the steel.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

angor posted:

What position was the steel in inside the oven? How long did your pizzas take to cook? If the steel was quite high, you might be better off moving it down closer to the bottom so the top cooks a little slower and has more time to sit on the steel.
It was at the top of the oven under the broiler-what I've been doing is letting it preheat for 1-1.5 hours, then I open the door and crank the broiler on high and slide the pizza in. It usually cooks for 5-8 minutes. The top comes out great, it's just the bottom that needs work.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Maybe broil the steel for a while, really get its temp up from the direct heat off the element. I don't have a steel yet through.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Yeah, if you don't prebroil the steel the bottom is cooking at 550 while the top is hitting 800+ broiler.

You could go just oven/ convection and live with a longer cooking time if you want lesser pie.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Made some pretty great pizza over the weekend on our new KettlePizza.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Random Hero posted:

Made some pretty great pizza over the weekend on our new KettlePizza.

Looking good! It took me a few runs to tweak the KP to really get it cranking some hot heat, but it definitely was a beast.

Quick margherita from this afternoon. Couldn't make a circle to save my life.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I got a pizza stone for Christmas but I just finally got around to using it for the first time last night. I forgot to take pictures of my inaugural pie because I was very hungry and it turned out way better than I was expecting. However, it was so good that I decided to make another pie for lunch with the left over dough.

I swear the first pie was atleast circular instead of triangular. Need to step up my dough game.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I keep having a problem where I have to put so much flour on my pizzas to get them to not stick that it makes this sort of layer of flour on the bottom that doesn't cook and I feel like sort of prevents the bottom from browning.

Does cornmeal work better? I've only tried flour and I dunno what I'm doing wrong but like I just have the hardest time actually working the pizza out into a real shape and having it get really thin without accidentally getting it stuck to the counter and making holes. I want to get it real thin like neapolitan style but like the thinner it gets the more it seems to stick to the peel or the counter or whatever.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I've had good luck with semolina flour

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

A light coating of flour on the dough ball prior to shaping it and semolina on the peel has worked for me up to 62% hydration(I've never gone higher) and I haven't had any problems with it coating the bottom and interfering with browning. Also, I've never found too much flour to interfere with browning, how much are you using, are you using a stone/steel, and are you turning your oven up to nuclear degrees?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm using fairly high hydration, anything from 60-80% depending on the recipe. I find on the lower hydration doughs they don't stretch as easily, and the higher hydration obviously sticks more.

I'm using, I dunno, a couple sprinklings with my hand, I've never measured I just put more down when it looks like all the previous flour has absorbed and it's gonna start sticking again, I'm using a steel, and I'm turning my oven up as hot as possible but the main issue is really it sliding around on and off the peel, once it goes in the oven it's fine but anyway yeah I'm using a steel at 550 in the main oven although lately I got one of those Sur La Table things. Last time I had it on 1 to preheat for 15 minutes (although maybe I should have just gone an hour? I was just nervous about leaving a hot thing on my counter that long unattended for the first time) and cooked it on 3.

Maybe next time I'll even preheat it on 2 because the bottom seemed nowhere near burning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
I think the clamshell electric ovens (like the Sur La Table one) recommend preheating on 2, but not 100% sure. The stone is slow to warm and completely blocks the heating element, so I could see it working that way if the stone isn't hot enough to start.