Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There's a page for XCOM: Enemy Unknown on BeforeIPlay, so any tips that apply specifically to someone playing with Enemy Within?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you accidentally sell the Mage Masher you bought in Disc 1, well good luck and gently caress you, because the next time you get to buy one is in Disc 4. You need it for crafting one of Zidane's weapon lines with some of his better skills iirc.

iirc you can buy Mage Masher in both Dali and later in Lindblum, but only before the Festival of the Hunt. Fortunately, there aren't really any equipment trees in FF9 and 99% of the time, synthesized weapons won't be components in later recipes.

Lizard Wizard posted:

There's a page for XCOM: Enemy Unknown on BeforeIPlay, so any tips that apply specifically to someone playing with Enemy Within?

1) The most overpowered unit in the game is a Sniper with Low Profile and Mimetic Skin. Mimetic Skin makes your character cloak whenever they're in full cover until they take an offensive action or end a move action outside of full cover. Low Profile makes partial cover count as full cover. Imagine an army of snipers. Now imagine they're all invincible because the AI isn't capable of targeting them :unsmigghh:

2) Shortly after you do the Alien Base raid, you'll get an event where the aliens raid your base. It'll deploy random characters from your roster. Make sure you keep a good number of soldiers trained up at least to rank 3. There's no warning for it, so if you get unlucky with the timing, your entire A-team might be injured. lovely deal.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 1, 2016

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Front Mission 3
This tip on the wiki:

is kinda misleading and not entirely correct. Every character has a specialty weapon type that they do more damage with: melee, burst (machineguns, flamethrowers, shotguns), rifle/laser, and launchers (grenade launcher, missile launcher).

Thanks! I've updated the Front Mission 3 page.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The White Dragon posted:

2) Shortly after you do the Alien Base raid, you'll get an event where the aliens raid your base. It'll deploy random characters from your roster. Make sure you keep a good number of soldiers trained up at least to rank 3. There's no warning for it, so if you get unlucky with the timing, your entire A-team might be injured. lovely deal.

To expand on this it isn't just 6 random characters. You'll have a bunch of random recruits that aren't part of your roster and the 6 best non-injured soldiers you have. You start with a couple of recruits and main guys with the rest showing up as you kill guys and progress the level. The game doesn't let you choose your gear when the mission starts and the main guys spawn with whatever they currently had. I was sitting most of my A-team out to level other guys the first time and had to fight without any gear on them. Imagine doing a harder Alien Base Assault with default poo poo.

It might not be as fun for you since I had no loving clue anything like that was coming. Surprised the hell outta me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

To expand on this it isn't just 6 random characters. You'll have a bunch of random recruits that aren't part of your roster and the 6 best non-injured soldiers you have. You start with a couple of recruits and main guys with the rest showing up as you kill guys and progress the level. The game doesn't let you choose your gear when the mission starts and the main guys spawn with whatever they currently had. I was sitting most of my A-team out to level other guys the first time and had to fight without any gear on them. Imagine doing a harder Alien Base Assault with default poo poo.

It might not be as fun for you since I had no loving clue anything like that was coming. Surprised the hell outta me.

What happens if you fail?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ainsley McTree posted:

What happens if you fail?

The world ends.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lizard Wizard posted:

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The most important thing that the game doesn't teach you is to ignore HQ whining about grenades. Leveling up your rookies is more important than getting loot and a guaranteed grenade kill is much safer option than a 75% shot. They are also very useful destroying cover which makes tough enemies much easier to kill.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Anyone have any tips for The Guild 2?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Kennel posted:

The most important thing that the game doesn't teach you is to ignore HQ whining about grenades. Leveling up your rookies is more important than getting loot and a guaranteed grenade kill is much safer option than a 75% shot. They are also very useful destroying cover which makes tough enemies much easier to kill.

this, a thousand times. ignore vahlen's pissing and moaning about blowing up resources.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

limp_cheese posted:

The world ends.

It's also one of the missions that the game will let you retry even on ironman mode.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lizard Wizard posted:

Meld is important, but it's not worth losing troops over.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
One thing for Undertale that I feel like should be on the wiki:

-The game really picks up in the second zone and beyond. If you aren't sold on it right away try and make it out of the RUINS before giving up.

A friend of mine wasn't sure what all the fuss was about, because he stopped right before the first boss, which is where the game gets good. Hopefully this will help others avoid that dire fate.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

senae posted:

The card minigame is straight up the best part of ff8, so please give it a chance before ignoring it.

This is true and good advice.

Also, if you're the kind of person who enjoys breaking the absolute poo poo out of a game -- which is arguably the only reason to play FF8 -- playing the card game is a good way to end up with a party of immortal turbofuckers with 255 stats across the board and limit breaks every turn.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
For Undertale:

- There are three main paths to the game, each with different combat encounters and story beats: A "pacifist" run, where you never gain XP; a "no-mercy" run, where you intentionally grind out every random encounter possible before progressing in a zone; and a neutral run encompassing the full range of possibilities between. Your first run through the game will get the neutral ending (for Reasons), but if you've played pacifist fully up to that point you can immediately reload from your save afterwards and backtrack to see the pacifist ending. As such, if you're only planning on one playthrough, the smartest thing to do would be to play pacifist to see as much content as you can in 'one' playthrough (and then do whatever you want after if you feel like playing more).

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Here is the only tip that should be on the wiki for The Witness

Go in blind. Experiencing the game is the game.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Kruller posted:

Here is the only tip that should be on the wiki for The Witness

Go in blind. Experiencing the game is the game.

There's also a run button.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'd add "Don't be afraid to take lots of notes or screenshots for future reference" because I've seen waaaaay too many people completely resistant to doing that even when they admit that it would've helped them get through the game.

Also "You can just load your last save to continue after seeing an ending."

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Essentially copy/paste any mental gameplay tips you had for Myst into The Witness and you're good to go:

Go slow, explore fully
Take actual physical notes on anything that sticks out, is clickable, rhymes, toots, turns, morphs, etc.
Enjoy the ride

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Anything for Tales of Xillia 2?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Anything for Puzzle and Dragons X/Mario Bros? i've never played a game in this series before.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything for Vangers? Alternatively, what kind of drugs do I have to be on to make sense of this game?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Anything for Tales of Xillia 2?
I don't think I needed to know anything ahead of time that wasn't already on the wiki.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pierzak posted:

Anything for Vangers? Alternatively, what kind of drugs do I have to be on to make sense of this game?

- The bugs you see crawling about are also money, run over golden ones whenever you see them.
- Talk to everyone, you can get hints what to trade and how to avoid a rather cold welcome when you move to next world.
- Do you see your cursor sprays paint on dialog screen walls? In one of three "seasons" it blows away the wall as if it's sand, and there are sometimes good things hidden under there, but the owner won't be pleased about you stealing those.
- Many things in the world that look like landscape can be opened, but sometimes only when you reach appropriate levels of luck or authority, mash that open button whenever near anything suspicious regardless.
- Don't be shy to savescum on tabutasks, they range from mind-numbingly easy to practically impossible with no relation to size of the promised payout.
I think it's some kind of :shroom: only found in Kaliningrad.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Pyromancer posted:

- The bugs you see crawling about are also money, run over golden ones whenever you see them.
- Talk to everyone, you can get hints what to trade and how to avoid a rather cold welcome when you move to next world.
- Do you see your cursor sprays paint on dialog screen walls? In one of three "seasons" it blows away the wall as if it's sand, and there are sometimes good things hidden under there, but the owner won't be pleased about you stealing those.
- Many things in the world that look like landscape can be opened, but sometimes only when you reach appropriate levels of luck or authority, mash that open button whenever near anything suspicious regardless.
- Don't be shy to savescum on tabutasks, they range from mind-numbingly easy to practically impossible with no relation to size of the promised payout.
I think it's some kind of :shroom: only found in Kaliningrad.

Not heard of the game but trying to imagine what kind it is based on these tips is proving quite challenging.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks!

Also, things to add to Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (please fix the typo in the title too):

- If you're not sure which line to press/present evidence for, it's the one which is the literal contradiction, as in, where you can catch someone on wording. Otherwise the game will trip you up many times with "but it clearly means something else!" - yes, but they didn't say it.

- the "save and test" method won't always work in later games - the devs wise up to your bullshit and later games/cases will have some gimmicks to throw you off simple abuse of the game engine.

- yes, it's the sky :v:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Overminty posted:

Not heard of the game but trying to imagine what kind it is based on these tips is proving quite challenging.

It's like Sid Meier's Pirates!, but with cars instead of ships and hard drugs instead of everything else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierzak posted:

- yes, it's the sky :v:

I still remember that moment in the thread from HelloWinter's Let's Play :allears:.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still remember that moment in the thread from HelloWinter's Let's Play :allears:.
I remember your Sal Manella avatar from then :argh:

Also yeah that moment was pure gold

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

I know it's brand new in NA, but does anyone have advice for Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
More for The Witness:

- The game tries to teach you everything, and nothing in it is untutorialized. If you find symbols you don't recognize, it's very likely that there were puzzles teaching them elsewhere. If there are no symbols and you have no idea what to do with any of it, try looking around for things that might be related to the puzzle or just try to get a different perspective on it. There's no shame in heading to a different part of the island, either, and returning once you've learned more.
- If you fail a puzzle and it turns off, it's trying to prevent people from brute-forcing solutions without actually knowing how to solve the puzzle. You can go back and re-solve the last puzzle to turn the newer one back on, but it's worth looking at (and maybe even trying alternate solutions to) the earlier puzzles in the chain to try to learn the mechanics a bit more fully.

Is there support for spoilered hints on the wiki? I'm on mobile so I can't check easily and I can't recall if there are or not.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Quick tip for XCOM2

Do not build Nanofiber Vests
. The basic Advent Troopers disappear very quickly, and you need six corpses to assemble Plated Armor, which is infinitely available for all soldiers rather than a single assembled piece.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pierzak posted:

- the "save and test" method won't always work in later games - the devs wise up to your bullshit and later games/cases will have some gimmicks to throw you off simple abuse of the game engine.

The only one I think this really applies to is the third game in the original series--Trials and Tribulations? The very final piece of evidence you present has the same text and series of events for quite a big window, and it fully disables text skipping to test if you've already seen the error lines. Low blow.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Ok, it's been almost 48 hours, let's have some more stuff for XCOM 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alris posted:

Stick through the arduous hump of the Sectoids and Vipers having the run of missions. Past them combat settles down into more straightforward enemies like the Mutons and Advent Soldiers.

Give your Sharpshooters an extra clip for their rifle and the Killzone Skill. More ammo means more shots.

New Weapons and armor are now infinite rather than individually-assembled items. Go right for building them when you can. Proving Grounds creations are unique and individually-assembled items though.

The Guerilla Tactics School should be one of the first things you build on the Avenger. It's how you expand your squad size once soldiers get past certain ranks.

Stealth is largely useless, despite the game's insistence on it. If you're hitting a heavy facility, blow cover on the first ambush and just fight your way in. Otherwise when you're spotted you'll just be at the center of getting your rear end kicked from all sides.

The exception to this is the Advent Facility missions. Unlike other major missions, the game actually lets you pop down the extraction point instead of forcing you to use an arbitrary one out the back end of nowhere. It's much more viable to sneak in unseen, plant the charges, then pop the extraction volume somewhere close to just leg it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 6, 2016

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Alris posted:

Resistance Comms are the new Satellites, get yourself some Communication upgrades.

As you expand further out into the world map, the price for Intel will steadily increase per hop. Plopping down a tower will help reduce the costs and give you bonus Supplies.

You can destroy the ground from under units, helpful when fighting on rooftops.

There's now a hell of a lot more time sensitive missions. Be mindful of the turns remaining timer. Some of these missions have endless enemy reinforcements.

If a mission concludes with your troops on the field, you can find them later as POWs that you can rescue.

The Will stat helps defend against Psionic attacks. If a soldier is ever Stricken, you can get a bonus to Will if they take no damage and manage to kill an alien during a mission.

Hacking is a stat that can be buffed through gear or hacking events. The Support Class can send their drone to remote hack.

Some hacking events can change things outside of the mission itself, such as delaying Dark Events.

Ranger Melee is very effective early game. Be careful when engaging Mutons (counters) and The Codex (they are harder to hit with melee).

Sniper Rifles have a penalty in close combat.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

About to try Grim Fandango for the first time (Remastered on PS4 if that matters), anything I should know?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Berzerker posted:

About to try Grim Fandango for the first time (Remastered on PS4 if that matters), anything I should know?

I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this, but... have a hint book by your side.

It's a really fun game with lots and lots of humor throughout. However, for a great many puzzles, the path from point A to point B is neither obvious nor logical. You'll have the most fun if, when you burn out trying to solve something, you simply look it up and move on. If you're a super-hardcore adventure game freak who solved Infocom HHGttG without help, this might not apply to you, but most likely it does.

In particular, when you encounter the marrow extractor, grab the hint book right away.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Probably buying Bravely Default soon (having a good time with the demo), anything worth knowing that isn't already on the site?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Poet balloon+pigeons

Other than that, I agree about not feeling bad about having a guide handy. While there's a lot of sound puzzle logic, the game's got a few of those puzzles where you're like "wha?" or you needed to use an item at just the right time. I can think of one in particular that I don't think 98% of people figured own their own their first time through.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I hope you really, really like it, because apparently the second half of the game is basically the first half repeating itself.