Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Ewar Woowar posted:

Who is playing along side Johnson this year?

Jeff Robson apparently, at least according to Jerome Ropati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Robson underrated as an organizer, he doesn't have much speed but you have all the other guys for that

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
If the raiders can snag a decent prop before the season starts im gonna have my expectations skyhigh so when we suck i will meltdown and die

If we go in as is scraping into the 8 is probably job done.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

Robson underrated as an organizer, he doesn't have much speed but you have all the other guys for that

We swapped Chad Townsend for an older Chad Townsend basically. I'd have Leuleuai at 6 myself, potentially Lolohea later on in the season if he's not needed out wider due to injuries.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

We swapped Chad Townsend for an older Chad Townsend basically. I'd have Leuleuai at 6 myself, potentially Lolohea later on in the season if he's not needed out wider due to injuries.
Chad Townsend couldn't organise for poo poo though

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

bowmore posted:

Chad Townsend couldn't organise for poo poo though

Eh he did ok. The main similarity is the extreme lack of pace.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I honestly have no idea who Robson is.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

The bald/balding blonde guy who played halfback for the Sharks for the last 5 years or so. Previously at Parramatta I think.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Townsend is apparently gonna be the choice halfback at the Sharks too, which is remarkably stupid when you could be playing Holmes at fullback and Bird/Maloney in the halves

e: Even Barba would be a better choice at halfback

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Townsend is rubbish. Reserve grade superstar, but not much value beyond depth in first grade. He can sniff a gap, but doesn't have the speed to take advantage of it. He wasn't much of an organiser. His kicking game is his biggest weakness, there's no power in his boot. His bombs struggle to get higher than the crossbar.

I'm very happy that we got Robson, his job is to be better than Mason Lino if we can't make a halves pairing from Johnson, Leuluai and Lolohea.

cpaf posted:

Townsend is apparently gonna be the choice halfback at the Sharks too, which is remarkably stupid when you could be playing Holmes at fullback and Bird/Maloney in the halves

e: Even Barba would be a better choice at halfback

Agree with this completely. Maloney is great, but having Townsend block Bird is madness. Barba sucks, but I'd still have him over Townsend.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I still maintain that if Townsend had even average halfback pace he would be a superstar with how gifted he is in spotting a gap. Kicking game is below par and he's not the greatest organiser but you can tell by watching him that he knows how to play, just isn't fast enough to make it happen.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I thought he might be useful at centre given that his organisational and kicking skills aren't good enough for the halves, defensively he's pretty solid.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Oh hey more offseason stupidity. At least dogs and women aren't involved this time.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/johnathan-thurston-arrested-in-brisbane-20100915-15cxx.html E: This one's from 2010

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...201-gmj04q.html

Jono C fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 1, 2016

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Looking forward to being SA's only Billy Slater fan again this season.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Hello I am here for the cocaine and the dog loving.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

Thurston one from 2010. Unless your contrasting, in which case heres to another 8 year qld reign.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Hello I am here for the cocaine and the dog loving.

I'm sorry we don't do those things anymore.

Wait

Actually apparently we're doing that again, pull up a line and a German Shepherd and make yourself at home!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

iajanus posted:

I'm sorry we don't do those things anymore.

Wait

Actually apparently we're doing that again, pull up a line and a German Shepherd and make yourself at home!

Ahhh just like my trips to the Gold Coast.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Ahhh just like my trips to the Gold Coast.

Just don't videotape it and you're a good step above the average player.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

bowmore posted:

i'll pick once all the teams have finished signing players, apparently easts might be getting Sonny Bill back

I'll pick later in the year, when all the games have been played.

e: also don't ban me for that. I need to follow this thread because I'm going to be having more interactions with my dad than usual this year and this will at least give us something to talk about.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Just coke for me thanks, hold the dog.

It's amazing seeing the impact following a bad team has on the OP. I can only imagine what the OP of the AFL thread would look like if written by a Melbourne supporter.

Will there be goon tips going on this year? I didn't see a link.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
It might be a touch early for ladder predictions, but seeing as I've made the basically the same tips for years, I doubt it'll make a difference.

1. Rabbitohs
2. Knights
3. Eels
4. Wests Tigers
5. Titans
6. Raiders
7. Broncos
8. Dragons
9. Cowboys
10. Panthers
11. Sharks
12. Storm
13. Bulldogs
14. Warriors
15. Sea Eagles
16. Roosters

If I pick according to actual intelligent choices, I might be more successful, but it won't feel good. I'd rather take the long shot.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

bowmore posted:

i'll pick once all the teams have finished signing players, apparently easts might be getting Sonny Bill back

What?? Who told you that?? He's doing fine in sevens from what I can tell.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

MiniSune posted:

Thurston one from 2010. Unless your contrasting, in which case heres to another 8 year qld reign.

Ah gently caress I'm stupid. For some reason it had shot up to the top of SMH's list of top league articles, I should have looked closely first.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

What?? Who told you that?? He's doing fine in sevens from what I can tell.

It's just optimistic chatter probably. Roosters have cleared out a mammoth amount of salary cap space (and don't look like they've stopped just yet either :v:), some of which is probably related to the presumably heavily back-ended contracts that can only explain their roster over the last few seasons but it also means people suspect they're making room for Hayne/SBW

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Just coke for me thanks, hold the dog.

It's amazing seeing the impact following a bad team has on the OP. I can only imagine what the OP of the AFL thread would look like if written by a Melbourne supporter.

Will there be goon tips going on this year? I didn't see a link.

Someone normally organises the topping at some point. I usually do the ladder competition, so feel free to give your proposed ladder for the chance of a wonderful prize (prize to be determined if anyone purposes one :v:).

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also Antitonic that ladder is insane. The tigers being fourth would be beyond crazy. Much as I'd like that, I'm fairly certain the only way that's happening is if 12 teams get pinged for massive cap breaches.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Also Antitonic that ladder is insane. The tigers being fourth would be beyond crazy. Much as I'd like that, I'm fairly certain the only way that's happening is if 12 teams get pinged for massive cap breaches.

As Sir Humphrey would say, the Tigers at 4th is "very brave indeed".

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

iajanus posted:

Someone normally organises the topping at some point. I usually do the ladder competition, so feel free to give your proposed ladder for the chance of a wonderful prize (prize to be determined if anyone purposes one :v:).

Gonna give it a few more weeks to see if any crucial trades fall through or players get injured first. Put me down for the Rabbitohs too btw.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
I know my ladder's a little off, but I'd rather go with my heart and lose than go with the more likely outcome and "win". :shepspends:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Antitonic posted:

I know my ladder's a little off, but I'd rather go with my heart and lose than go with the more likely outcome and "win". :shepspends:

understatement of the year

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

2016 has already started with too many bored "mad cunts" on the turps, on the disco biscuits and doing liney lines.
it's just the universe making it fair for the other teams.

1) Tigers
2) Titans
3) Parra
4) Broncos

5) Manly
6) Panthers
7) Storm
8) Dogs

9) Roosters
10) Cowboys
11) Souths
12) Dragons

13) Newie
14) Raiders
15) Warriors
16) Sharkies

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Abalone Malone posted:

2016 has already started with too many bored "mad cunts" on the turps, on the disco biscuits and doing liney lines.
it's just the universe making it fair for the other teams.

1) Tigers
2) Titans
3) Parra
4) Broncos

5) Manly
6) Panthers
7) Storm
8) Dogs

9) Roosters
10) Cowboys
11) Souths
12) Dragons

13) Newie
14) Raiders
15) Warriors
16) Sharkies

I can only assume you wrote this in reverse order?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

iajanus posted:

I can only assume you wrote this in reverse order?

I had a meeting with a League Clairvoyant.
using the sweat collected from the 1992 Goldcoast Seagulls, Schlosy's shoe and Brett Kimmorley's lose testie.
and with her talent with the dark arts, she was able to assure me that the list complied will come to fruition in 2016

also blues to win 3-0, after QLD succumb to the brilliance of a Luke Lewis and Greg Bird Blues halves partnership

Abalone Malone fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 2, 2016

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Abalone Malone posted:

also blues to win 3-0, after QLD succumb to the brilliance of a Luke Lewis and Greg Bird Blues halves partnership

Whatever you're on, I want some. It must be some pretty good gear.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

ili posted:

Whatever you're on, I want some. It must be some pretty good gear.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

guess who's back!!

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/roosters-name-nrl-nines-squad-2016-20458/#iUt71mOqBLgYeDQW.97

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Abalone Malone posted:

This still wouldn't be the worst halves decision they've made in the last decade. Maybe not even top 3

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

gently caress it, lets do this.

1. Rabbitohs
2. Cowboys
3. Broncos
4. Storm
5. Sharks
6. Bulldogs
7. Warriors
8. Sea Beagles
9. Roosters
10. Panthers
11. Raiders
12. Wests Tigers
13. Eels
14. Knights
15. Dragons
16. Titans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

I already regret putting the Eels so low on my list, I'm starting to think they'll do alright this year. The Gordon/Norman/Foran spine is as filled with potential as it is fun to say out loud and Peats is pretty comfortably the greatest NRL twitter personality. They're still stuck with a very old and tired forward pack though

• Locked thread