Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't think we ever settled the question of how many backers there could possibly be

The "Citizen" counter means nothing obviously. Then there's the "UEE Fleet size" or whatever counter, that was like 700,000 to 800,000, and that everybody assumed was the number of backers. Then Lando said in some chat that this was the number of ships sold, that might chop the backer number in as much as half

Pretty soon thereafter, they removed the fleet size counter from their funding page, which I'd take as a tacit confirmation that it was in fact the number of ships, not backers.

Have I missed something?

You didn't miss anything. That was pretty much it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There was talk a few pages back about the Restoration Hardware stuff, and someone (maybe even :lesnick:?) hinted they were purchased in a bankruptcy sale..

RH Outlet indeed...

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Good blog, Derek. I like that everything is well referenced.

Thanks. It looks like we were having some cache issues which caused an incorrect version to be displayed for a few hours. If you go back and refresh and you see The Pledge image, that's the correct version now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

flyboi posted:

Probably Ultima 4

Makes sense. He was involved with those in some minor way, iirc.

Meanwhile, in Elite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spBXAgho3fw
Actual exploration in an immersive and dynamic universe.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

fuctifino posted:

There was talk a few pages back about the Restoration Hardware stuff, and someone (maybe even :lesnick:?) hinted they were purchased in a bankruptcy sale..

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/J1PVG5m.png[timg]

RH Outlet indeed...

part of a human centipede of bankruptcy sales

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ZenMaster posted:

Wouldn't it be easy for CIG to say, "Hey, gaming magazines, we'll give you full access to S42 and our offices, but you have to sign a waiver saying you won't discuss the plot in your magazine. Also, here are some photos and videos you can use in your report."

They keep claiming no game footage has been shown to preserve the plot, but surely 5 minutes of dog fighting/FPSing wouldn't spoil a gosh darn thing.

So, the only conclusion is that CIG has nothing ready to show as have been stated ad nauseum. I can wrap my brain around it, backers think reporters coming out with just as much knowledge as they have (none) and everything is just fine.

Yes, that's standard industry practice. When you, like, have something to show. Clearly, they don't.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is star citizen twitch viewership is roughly similar to the amount of people who play LoD annually

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Welp, I just got BANNED from CIG.

I sent lowtax's offer to a whale with over 9,000 posts who got banned.

Apparently that counts as a permaban offense.

Either they're monitoring PMs or the whale reported it to them.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
The thing I love is that you're advocating for illfonic and the better FPS they put together. I hope this gets mega love and helps change the narrative around illfonic somewhat.

Makes me sick that jackasses who aren't paying attention immediately assume it's illfonics fault just like INN is now doing with Saitek on this HOTAS delay. As if it isn't remotely possible that Chris Roberts work from a fever dream and said, "Oh my God Sandi I've just had the most amazing idea for our Hotas... What if we (insert dumb idea that complicates it even further.)"

If something goes wrong with Star Citizen's development, the correct first guess is "Crap- what is Chris screwing up now?"

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 2, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
We're cool Derek I just had to crack a joke

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

INN ACTUALLY BROKE SOME NEWS - NO SQUADRON 42 in 2016

:chanpop:

"How many months before release you do you think they'll start teasing Squadron 42?"
--Shiver

"Three months." (with certainty)
--Ennis

Brief chatter, then:

"I have insider information... there's going to be a squadron 42 advertisement in a very prominent place. I'm not going to say where. But it will be in December..."
CmdrTomCruisin

SPECULATIVE GUESSING:

The obvious guess is that Squadron 42 trailers will be shown in theaters with the opening of Star Wars: Rogue One, which opens December 16th. As we noted here before, it must have PISSED CHRIS OFF BIGTIME that THE PRETENDER BDSSE ran trailers ahead of Star Wars 7. The AUDACITY! (As an aside, this is so hilarious if true, because once again Chris is chasing to follow in Braben's footsteps. Procedural Gen. Interdictions. Super cruise. Star Wars ads. WHY DON'T YOU JUST HIRE FRONTIER'S MARKETING DIRECTOR, CHRIS, SO YOU CAN LEAD AND STOP FOLLOWING BRABEN?! - Oh wait, I know the answer... Never mind.)

INN seems to be explicitly stating that they KNOW Squadron 42 IS NOT COMING OUT THIS YEAR. One can deduce from their collective reveals that it is currently slated for end of Q1, 2017. This certainly suggests that any backer telling themselves that they'll see SQ42 this year are deluding themselves, that CIG has relayed their launch schedule to the insiders at INN while continuing in their "most open development in the history of gaming" tv shows to be telling their fans directly, "WE CAN'T GIVE DATES. WE HAVE NO DATES."

Yet again, the backers get the shaft. More delays, and the added humiliation of finding out about those delays not from CIG but instead by reading-between-the-lines with CIG's favorite gatekeepers and propagandists...

Sad, sad days.

*cough* I already told you guys that if SQ42 sees a release in 2016, it would be a miracle. The question is, giving how much he has riding on it, will croberts risk a half-assed release for quick cash and cred?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

The thing I love is that you're advocating for illfonic and the better FPS they put together. I hope this gets mega love and helps change the narrative around illfonic somewhat.

Makes me sick that jackasses who aren't paying attention immediately assume it's illfonics fault just like INN is now doing with Saitek on this HOTAS delay. As if it isn't remotely possible that Chris Roberts work from a fever dream and said, "Oh my God Sandi I've just had the most amazing idea for our Hotas... What if we (insert dumb idea that complicates it even further.)"

Yeah I'd like to do even a tiny bit to make sure Illfonic aren't massive scapegoats, even if they deserve it, I dunno if they do or not but I got no refund so gently caress you Chris :lol:

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I'd like to do even a tiny bit to make sure Illfonic aren't massive scapegoats, even if they deserve it, I dunno if they do or not but I got no refund so gently caress you Chris :lol:

I got a refund. Op success.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Bootcha posted:

Speaking of thought crimes...

You all know the two narratives, either Derek Smart is trying to ruin Star Citizen, or CIG et al is ruining Star Citizen themselves.

So a long while ago I received an anonymous, unsolicited tip about an interesting spat within the Star Citizen drama. A third narrative appeared: An ex-producer was setting each side against each other in vindictive spite. This producer was setting up current CIG employees to be fired for espionage, waging a personal war against Chris Roberts. These pawns would be fired and would blame Sandi for their termination. Not only that, he was targeting me and high-level backers. "There are evil people at work here, but it is neither Chris nor Derek.".

I thought this was interesting, a third narrative out of nowhere. What ex-employee, specifically a producer, would hate CR and SC so much as to see it burn to the ground? I have my theories about who it could have been, but the messenger didn't interest me, just the message.

As I've stated before, CIG hired an internet detective in October. Perhaps I understated this. They hired an actual security consultant with FBI credentials to perform a full investigation of the Santa Monica office, CIG email/Skype database, and the personal phones/computers of any suspected employee (everyone not an executive). As far as I'm aware, this consultant is still on the books, paid with backer money (but most likely having switched to private funds after the first 2 months, wrote off as "Security Consultant").

The rumor, as I personally have not had it confirmed by more than one source (nor inquired beyond that source), is Dan Tracy was approached by this investigator to turn over his computer, phone, and emails under threat of firing and deportation. Dan immediately quit on the spot and walked. It is also rumored that this whole investigation resulted in the firing of James Pugh for obstructing the investigation.

But still, the major ex-producers had already left, and the investigator was still operating. Obviously they didn't get who they wanted. Who was going to be pinned to the wall as THE Judas?

A few conversations with sources NOT within CIG pointed to one candidate. They wouldn't dare go after Wingman, CR's personal and professional relationship with him would override any decree from other CIG executives, and Wingman was long gone and busy with his own game by the time the "witch hunt" started. Alex Mayberry was a possibility, but he folded back into ActiBlizzard very quickly after his departure and wouldn't have time or desire to see CIG burn (and attempting to assault the fortress ActiBlizzard at such a high level would infer stupidity). Any lower-level ex-producers/managers wouldn't have had such the ire and effort leveled at them, and this would have ended quietly and badly for the fall guy.

No, the one they wanted to pin to the wall was someone who would have had deep burning resentment for the CIG executives for treatment not just personal, but also treatment upon someone else.

I have it under authority that many attempts of scare tactics and privacy invasion were used to coerce a confession. I am happy to report that all those attempts were rebutted with the legal equivalent of "Go gently caress yourself", and said person is on the legal high ground.

Why would they pin someone to the wall for the leaks? Someone really hated this ex-producer. It wasn't CR or Ortwin (though they are not without blame for pursuing this action), nor Erin or Elms. There should be an obvious answer here.

So if my source is reading this, thank you for the tip. I am behind Derek and other ex/current employees as far as knowledge of the full story, but your tip was a necessary step into understanding the private security consultant situation.

Yup.

I am well aware of all this.

I have had several people tell me about P.I. and I mentioned it last year.

I know about the circumstances surrounding Dan Tracy’s departure; but it’s not my story to tell.

I know of at least one person who is currently giving them the legal middle finger, amid baseless and empty threats which, in my estimation, is going to end up being the one single event that’s going to blow this whole thing wide open if it ever ends up in court as I fully expect that it will. The only thing that’s going to benefit this project right now, is for legal action to provide answers and remedies before it all collapses. There is simply no other way out of this that I can see.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
Pgabz. You are a living god. I love you. Shine on.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
caughtupwiththethread.gif

For content, I'm watching Broteam's twitch, and he's playing Star Citizen. He walks up to the ship, and before even touching it it starts sliding around five minutes in.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

peter gabriel posted:

they denied your completely civil and reasonable refund request????????????? :eyepop:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

*cough* I already told you guys that if SQ42 sees a release in 2016, it would be a miracle. The question is, giving how much he has riding on it, will croberts risk a half-assed release for quick cash and cred?
I know Derek. Believe me. But as you know, people in the spergosphere automatically assume anything you say can't be true. (We mostly don't but the backers do.)

That is why INN's elliptical confirmation of what YOU and EightAce have said here is very interesting. Because the backers listen to INN, and INN pretty much just pointed towards an end of Q1 2017 release date. They've heard that directly from CIG, yet the backers have not.

So-- maybe the better way to frame this is "INN CONFIRMS DEREK SMART'S ALLEGATIONS OF A 2017 RELEASE ARE TRUE, BASED ON CIG SOURCES! So why aren't the BACKERS being told? Is it because DEREK SMART said it first?"

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

D_Smart posted:

Either they're monitoring PMs or the whale reported it to them.
i might be banned but at least i'm not a STUPID GOONIE

*sobs into croberts body pillow*

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

they denied your completely civil and reasonable refund request????????????? :eyepop:

Yeah, I dunno wtf is up with them

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

RH Outlet indeed...

You know, there's a RH Outlet like 30 minutes south of me. I could go see exactly what kind of discounts they're throwing around down there. I won't, but I could.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

G0RF posted:

Later he says that you can play other space games for the dogfighting experience, and other shooters for the run and gun experience, but "you can't do what you can do right now in 2.0 and 2.1 in any other game."

It's beginning to make sense now.... Croberts has literally never played a video game, outside of Wing Commander, in his entire life.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

fuzzknot posted:

TROUT A LA CREME

FISH!

(I've got a better chance of getting actual fish from a web forum dispenser than from one in SC).

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

...The only thing that’s going to benefit this project right now, is for legal action to provide answers and remedies before it all collapses. There is simply no other way out of this that I can see.

Or some employee or ex-employee can just sack up and let all the info they have out into the open.

Or a group of people could collectively sack up and go to someone like the WP (who did the wonderful Amazon story) and see if you can get someone in main stream journalism to pick the story up. It would be fun to see shitizens try to twist themselves on knots trying to downplay a major media org breaking a story.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 2, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I died.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Recipe chat

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

Pan pizza is really, really good. I just got my first cast iron, made two pan pizzas with it. Can't stop thinking of the possibilities.

Glorious before/after of a BBQ Chicken pizza. I think layering is pretty important in making sure you don't have absolutely destroyed toppings, and having a range of doneness is probably standard. Since this thing is so thick, I cooked the dough slightly ahead of time, and that definitely worked out. It's like an actual pie.

Toppings: Grilled Onions/garlic/jalapenos, baked chicken/bacon, cilantro, tomatoes, and a drizzling of BBQ sauce on top. I used three styles of cheese, shredded mozzarella, sliced fresh mozzarella, and a little bit of cheddar. Worked out great, and didn't take that long to make. Definitely doing it again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Texas has a place called shotgun blasters

The sign has the statue of liberty holding a shotgun

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I wonder how much it costs for a movie trailer campaign? Maybe that's the big idiocy hinted by EightAce? They're dropping like tens of millions on trailer ads for a game they're studiously not making because they're too busy planning out the trailer for it?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
oh I wanted to say that thanks to this thread/ben lesnick I finally managed to overcome a 32oz/day red bull habit, and have lost 10 pounds and have probably saved a small fortune

THANKS STAR CITIZEN

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

MisterBibs posted:

For content, I'm watching Broteam's twitch, and he's playing Star Citizen. He walks up to the ship, and before even touching it it starts sliding around five minutes in.
"They spent all their money on the sizzle"

And now he's been loading Stanton for several minutes.

e: he gave up

Chin fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 2, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

Everything Jason Welge has released is more entertaining and worthwhile than Star Citizen.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah, I dunno wtf is up with them

The gently caress they didn't give you your refund? Got mine ages ago. Did you request it around the time of the op or more recently?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I Greyhound posted:

I wonder how much it costs for a movie trailer campaign? Maybe that's the big idiocy hinted by EightAce? They're dropping like tens of millions on trailer ads for a game they're studiously not making because they're too busy planning out the trailer for it?

Think bigger, Why not just spend all the money and put a Superbowl ad out?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Iron Tusk posted:

Think bigger, Why not just spend all the money and put a Superbowl ad out?

But that's only $4.5M — chump change, really, and a good use of backer money that will benefit SC.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

fuctifino posted:

RH Outlet indeed...

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
That wingman dude looks like a cool drunk uncle kinda guy

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

Or some employee or ex-employee can just sack up and let all the info they have out into the open.

I suppose my angle is I am interested in the welfare of both ex and current employees, and as I stated before these people do not have the means or financial capability to defend themselves against a libel/slander/espionage lawsuit. If CIG is willing to contest a UK civil suit against a goon trying to get a refund, you can bet your rear end they will throw personal and backer money at a lawsuit against a former employee. A court is a frightening place against someone who will do anything to ensure you cannot work in the video games industry ever again.

The best way is as it stands: Verified bombshells from protected sources from time to time, that stack up as evidence against CIG until such time someone turns it into a full fledged shitstorm lawsuit with CIG as the defendant. Or until CIG does something REALLY stupid, and the worm turns completely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Devian666 posted:

The gently caress they didn't give you your refund? Got mine ages ago. Did you request it around the time of the op or more recently?

A bit more recently, it's ok though I don't mind. Having access to the game is good ha ha

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

CubicalSucrose posted:

Guys, guys...They just need to "turn on" the Star Marine game mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOyEcb5jJfE&t=1524s

So why haven't they just "turned it on" for testing then.

Also, lot of pro-tier cats in this thread lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KR44a_5v_A

I just made this tonight sans the goat cheese and walnuts, and holy poo poo it's good. It really does transcend the ingredients, just be sure to not skimp on the salt. Really watch when he seasons the water, he really dumps it in, and it makes sense because most of the salt won't make it into the soup anyway. I liked it with black pepper, too.

• Locked thread