Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wild EEPROM posted:

you want a workstation but you don't like Hp or dell

and you like paying about 30% extra for comparable hardware*

* based on about 5 minutes playing with configurators, hardware is probably not actually comparable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Just buy dell or HP good luck getting service from podunk.company in an emergency situation

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ok so I literally used to be an editor in a post house and the reason macs are now the best choice for editing is because interface usability and system reliability are super important. of course windows is theoretically doable but seriously after windows 8 do you really want to edit in an os that thinks youre using a tablet?

there are other editing work station solutions but they cost way way more than a mac. macs are the pragmatic choice. you really think windows or lol, linux, are better choices?

that said, the mac pros are garb and the inability to add hardware to an imac makes it only suitable for 90% of post production needs. apple is exiting the work station market and I honestly have no clue how the industry will cope.

full disclosure: posted from my ipad pro

just get enough fiber in your diet and your post production will be fine.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

computer toucher posted:

lol

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

computer toucher posted:

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Soricidus posted:

and you like paying about 30% extra for comparable hardware*

* based on about 5 minutes playing with configurators, hardware is probably not actually comparable

but the OS!

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

The_Franz posted:

in music production there is still a lot of mac only software and hardware that only has mac drivers, although that is changing. the number of universities who still buy $8k blinged-out mac pros just so students can mix a handful of tracks in digital performer is pretty :laffo: though.

http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-laptops-for-music-production/

edit: the last time i even looked at audio production was in like 2004 with digidesign pro tools

craisins fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 2, 2016

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

craisins posted:

but the OS!

osx is nice, but is it thousands-of-dollars nice? ymmv

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

craisins posted:

http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-laptops-for-music-production/

edit: the last time i even looked at audio production was in like 2004 with digidesign pro tools

oh i see, so basically just retards with no brains or knowledge of computers use macs, "oh look my mac makes no hard drive noise" neither does my laptop you loving ponce because i installed an ssd

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
macs internal connectors are gold plated which is good for audio production because impedance matching

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Barnyard Protein posted:

macs internal connectors are gold plated which is good for audio production because impedance matching

i too buy $100,000 diamond plated cables

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
for real tho, i've used a computer before where moving the mouse would cause a high-pitched whine to emit from somewhere. its not unreasonable to think that there isn't a market for an engineered sound production computer system. i'll call it the MacBook Pro. now entertaining investment offers.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Barnyard Protein posted:

for real tho, i've used a computer before where moving the mouse would cause a high-pitched whine to emit from somewhere. its not unreasonable to think that there isn't a market for an engineered sound production computer system. i'll call it the MacBook Pro. now entertaining investment offers.

I used a lovely computer and got a lovely result, so I bought a high end computer and got a better result!

NO WAY!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Wild EEPROM posted:

you want a workstation and you want a good OS

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

like any business should care whether their production machines cost 2,5 or 6 thousand if they get the job done and are productive for the people using them.

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

it's Mac Pro, not Mac Reasonable Computer Hobbyist.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
the mack proh is built as mac: unreasonably rich hipster computer at the cost of being an actual pro workstation (but with mac os!)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

so why does centos let traffic through my bridge interface when it is supposed to be processed in nfqueue.
code:
iptables -I FORWARD -j NFQUEUE -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged

poo poo works fine on debian with this command. No traffic gets through the bridge unless something (suricata, snort, etc) is in nfqueue mode. I don't think there is a command to disable bypass, I know there is one to enable it if nothing is processing nfqueue.

i've started using centos more and i loving hate it. mostly because I have no idea where anything is since I've been a Debian user for 8 years or so

b0red fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 2, 2016

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

computer toucher posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yo i've got an rpi 2 that i was thinking of setting up a lil znc bouncer on, is the default debian ok or is there something better? how's the fedora spin for it?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

carry on then posted:

yo i've got an rpi 2 that i was thinking of setting up a lil znc bouncer on, is the default debian ok or is there something better? how's the fedora spin for it?

it's fine, as you go farther from what everyone uses things will get less-documented

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

b0red posted:

so why does centos let traffic through my bridge interface when it is supposed to be processed in nfqueue.
code:
iptables -I FORWARD -j NFQUEUE -m physdev --physdev-is-bridged
poo poo works fine on debian with this command. No traffic gets through the bridge unless something (suricata, snort, etc) is in nfqueue mode. I don't think there is a command to disable bypass, I know there is one to enable it if nothing is processing nfqueue.

i've started using centos more and i loving hate it. mostly because I have no idea where anything is since I've been a Debian user for 8 years or so

i hate everything
code:
sysctl -w net.bridge.bridge-nf-call-iptables=1
also holy poo poo sshfs is so loving fast

b0red fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 2, 2016

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

carry on then posted:

raspbian is just fine.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

cool thanks :)

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

is anyone else excited for rocket league to be released for linux this month? they are scheduled to release the xbox one version at the end of the month and the mac/linux version is coming before that. so any day now....

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Raspbian is prob perfect, there is a ton of stuff out there documented

However, good luck using winders 10 for IoT or Fedora, its slim pickins

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

You are welcome friend. Also if you can get to Cent7 and jump on the firewalld train like a cool and awesome guy.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

ratbert90 posted:

You are welcome friend. Also if you can get to Cent7 and jump on the firewalld train like a cool and awesome guy.

yeah i'm using cent7 and things are starting to make more sense. looking at firewalld right now. the zones feature is pretty cool.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have four macs pro on my desk at work :shepface:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b0red posted:

yeah i'm using cent7 and things are starting to make more sense. looking at firewalld right now. the zones feature is pretty cool.

It's just a nice wrapper around iptables and you can still edit a xml file that has iptable rules in it if you really want to.

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

b0red posted:

shared crap on my home server is all samba because I have poo poo talking to it from a bunch of OSes and I don't feel like figuring out sshfs on Windows or trying to get it set up on my wife's MacBook.

otherwise: probably would

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

craisins posted:

shared crap on my home server is all samba because I have poo poo talking to it from a bunch of OSes and I don't feel like figuring out sshfs on Windows or trying to get it set up on my wife's MacBook.

otherwise: probably would

You may be in luck soon enough
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ItsHappeningOpenSSHForWindowsfromMicrosoft.aspx

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh christ who let this out of the company

http://www.ubuntu.com/tablet

ubuntu on tablets.

a dead form factor with declining sales.
no major hardware partner.
2 GB of RAM in the launch device, running PC desktop browsers.

this will end exactly like ubuntu on phones

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ubuntu on tablets.

10.1 inch multi-touch screen
MediaTek Quad Core MT8163A processor up to 1.5GHz
High capacity Li-Po battery (7280mAh)
Full HD (1080p) camera for super-sharp video recording
2GB RAM and 16GB internal memory
MicroSD slot for extra storage (up to 64GB)
12 megapixel camera with autofocus and dual flash
Frontal speakers
Micro HDMI slot
Dimensions: 246 x 171 x 8.2mm
Lightweight at only 470g

Jeez 2008 called and said we were poo poo then

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
i'm the bluetooth keyboard's macintosh key layout

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ubuntu on tablets.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ubuntu on tablets.

*starts eagerly refreshing woot*

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ubuntu on tablets.

hahaha who asked for this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
it's nice to see unity finally running on the hardware it was designed for i guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soricidus posted:

it's nice to see unity finally running on the hardware it was designed for i guess?

A poo poo interface for poo poo hardware.