Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Whoever mentioned Blankets, that's a solid pick for comics that makes you cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's a lot of cool downer comics that have been posted I've made a list and am going to have a go at going through some of them once I'm done with the ultimate universe. Back on that for a minute, I found a reading order list for the ultimate universe and it has Ultimate Marvel Team Up on it, I took a quick look at one and wasn't that fussed on it, am I safe to just skip over them?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ultragonk posted:

That's a lot of cool downer comics that have been posted I've made a list and am going to have a go at going through some of them once I'm done with the ultimate universe. Back on that for a minute, I found a reading order list for the ultimate universe and it has Ultimate Marvel Team Up on it, I took a quick look at one and wasn't that fussed on it, am I safe to just skip over them?

It must be an old list if it has Ultimate Team-Up on it because it was basically retconned away by later Ultimate developments.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

It must be an old list if it has Ultimate Team-Up on it because it was basically retconned away by later Ultimate developments.

It's this list here I'm a bit lazy so I just grabbed the first one that looks complete. Well that's good news anyway so I can just forget them.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ultragonk posted:

It's this list here I'm a bit lazy so I just grabbed the first one that looks complete. Well that's good news anyway so I can just forget them.

Really you should pretty much just read Ultimate Spider-Man and anything that involves Miles Morales and call it a day, but if you have to read the rest please skip Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 at the very least.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Really you should pretty much just read Ultimate Spider-Man and anything that involves Miles Morales and call it a day, but if you have to read the rest please skip Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra, Ultimatum and Ultimates 3 at the very least.

Just read Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra this morning. Oh look it's Elektra, oh look it's Daredevil, oh no one of Elektra's friends was raped by the arsehole we saw earlier that's terrible, aaaaannnnnddd nothing happens.

Read Ultimatum a couple of weeks back and that's what made me want to read the UMU, to see what makes Magneto do what he did also made me think the heroes could probably stand to spread themselves out rather than all live in New York.

A lot of people keep telling me not to read Ultimates 3 like it's the murder house in a horror film, so I'll stay away from that one.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ultragonk posted:

Just read Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra this morning. Oh look it's Elektra, oh look it's Daredevil, oh no one of Elektra's friends was raped by the arsehole we saw earlier that's terrible, aaaaannnnnddd nothing happens.

Read Ultimatum a couple of weeks back and that's what made me want to read the UMU, to see what makes Magneto do what he did also made me think the heroes could probably stand to spread themselves out rather than all live in New York.

A lot of people keep telling me not to read Ultimates 3 like it's the murder house in a horror film, so I'll stay away from that one.

I'll tell you why people are telling you not to read Ultimates 3: Incredibly muddy art and one of the central plots is Tony Stark's sex tape.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

I'll tell you why people are telling you not to read Ultimates 3: Incredibly muddy art and one of the central plots is Tony Stark's sex tape.

That sounds hilarious but not in a 'gotta read that' type way more in a 'oh comics' type way.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ultimates 3:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ultragonk posted:

Ultimate Marvel Team-up was great and provides background for characters that pop up in Spider-Man.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

So I've read a bit of the Ultimate universe now and does anyone know what the thought process behind the UMU was? Was it just an attempt to be a bit more gritty, more grim that the 616 universe?

I thought Ultimate Elektra/Daredevil, Ultimate Elektra, Ultimate Iron man I & II were a bit rubbish.
I can see why people are saying to just read Spider-Man they have been pretty good so far, I like how they've changed the characters a bit Gwen Stacy is much different, MJ already knows Peter's secret even aunt May seems younger than her 616 counter parts although just as grey haired.
Ultimate X-Men is interesting, it's quite grim with stuff like this

But you can see from history that certain people were treated as very disposable and that fits very well with the mutants. Though I'm not sure about the Jean/Wolverine relationship how old is she supposed to be? It's a very strange fit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It was originally just an attempt to tell new stories with beloved characters without the years of convoluted bullshit weighing them down, making them inaccessible to new readers, while at the same time updating them a bit for the early 00s.

Ultimate Aunt May is probably the best character in the entire universe.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The ultra grim parts in Ultimate X-Men are basically just Millar being Millar (also he's said the Weapon X arc in particular was written at kind of a rough time in his life). Not bad comics as far as his stuff goes, though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ultimate Aunt May really is great, considering she has lost her husband and now her nephew is lying to her and disappearing at all hours they do a good job of drawing her looking pissed off and upset about the whole thing at the same time. I haven't started the Ultimates yet so I hope that is going to be good as well.

I'm liking the X-men so far though there was an issue all about Gambit that seemed a bit out of place compared to the rest.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If you must read Ultimate Fantastic Four, go for the first 20 issues, then stop. The last 40 are plagued with bad art, boring stories, or both, save for a brief bit of fun sandwiched somewhere in the middle where they travel back in time and fight Diablo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Inkspot posted:

If you must read Ultimate Fantastic Four, go for the first 20 issues, then stop. The last 40 are plagued with bad art, boring stories, or both, save for a brief bit of fun sandwiched somewhere in the middle where they travel back in time and fight Diablo.

Mike Carey's run is pretty awesome.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ultragonk posted:

Ultimate Aunt May really is great, considering she has lost her husband and now her nephew is lying to her and disappearing at all hours they do a good job of drawing her looking pissed off and upset about the whole thing at the same time. I haven't started the Ultimates yet so I hope that is going to be good as well.

I'm liking the X-men so far though there was an issue all about Gambit that seemed a bit out of place compared to the rest.

After reading Ultimate Spider Man you must read the Spider Men mini-series for Aunt May's ultimate payoff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, if you're enjoying USM I'd definitely recommend Ultimate Team-Up, Bendis wrote it and Spider-Man is in every issue.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Squizzle posted:

Ultimates 3:

So much for Mark Millar's famed subtle touch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

qntm posted:

So much for Mark Millar's famed subtle touch.

Try Jeph Loeb.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ultimate Fantastic Four is pretty good throughout, with the exception of some Greg Land art

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The "Crossover" arc was possibly my favorite comic book troll. Millar is a mean, clever bastard, and I have a hard time disliking him.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ultragonk posted:

I thought Ultimate Elektra/Daredevil, Ultimate Elektra, Ultimate Iron man I & II were a bit rubbish.

Yeah Ultimate Elektra/DD is absolutely Greg Rucka's worst comic and Ultimate Elektra might actually be Mike Carey's. They're both normally really good so don't let that turn you off their work. And you willingly subjected yourself to Orson Scott Card huh?

Skwirl posted:

Oh, if you're enjoying USM I'd definitely recommend Ultimate Team-Up, Bendis wrote it and Spider-Man is in every issue.

Yeah it's good but it's been pretty clearly invalidated which is why I'm surprised that it was on any kind of reading list. Then again the entire Ultimate universe is pretty much invalid from that perspective at this point so go nuts.

Die Laughing posted:

The "Crossover" arc was possibly my favorite comic book troll. Millar is a mean, clever bastard, and I have a hard time disliking him.

You mean you don't want to hit him with your car?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 1, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah it's good but it's been pretty clearly invalidated which is why I'm surprised that it was on any kind of reading list. Then again the entire Ultimate universe is pretty much invalid at this point so go nuts.

I think only the first issue or 2 with the Fantastic Four are directly contradicted by other comics. The dude read the first Iron-Man mini, which in universe was retconned to be an unauthorized anime cartoon.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I think only the first issue or 2 with the Fantastic Four are directly contradicted by other comics. The dude read the first Iron-Man mini, which in universe was retconned to be an unauthorized anime cartoon.

Ultimate Iron Man is the clearest example of how basically outdated the non-Spidey parts of the Ultimate universe is. That armor is supposed to be cooler and more realistic?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Ultimate J. Jonah Jameson is probably the best character in the entire universe.

ftfy.

No but seriously one of the (many) reasons I give Bendis so much poo poo for the last few arcs of USM is how unceremoniously he killed Jameson.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

bobkatt013 posted:

Mike Carey's run is pretty awesome.

I'll take the opposite tack and say that I thought it kinda dawdled in an uninteresting way while the art got progressively worse until the art became distractingly bad. Like sub-Land territory. I wanted to like it but once the zombies/Land hit it just kept sliding downhill.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
UFF definitely gets dumb, then bad, then dumb and bad. Also Evil Reed RIchards is awesome now, as a supporting villain and with regular Reed to be a foil to. Evil Reed Richards as the only Reed in the universe and also Ben Reilly has ill-defined angel powers or something was just terrible.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lightning Lord posted:

Ultimate Iron Man is the clearest example of how basically outdated the non-Spidey parts of the Ultimate universe is. That armor is supposed to be cooler and more realistic?
Wasn't the original point of UIM that the suit was an incredibly complex thing that needed a full support staff to transport/suit up/maintain? That was a nice tack.

Ultimate U was pretty exciting for a year or so... then it all became This Guy from 616 But Not!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Ultimate Universe was most interesting when it did stuff like that, like making Cable time traveling Wolverine, but Ultimatum sucked so hard and derailed everything.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The ultimate line always seemed doomed. I started reading it because it was sold as, "all your favorite characters, no continuity bloat." I loved it for that reason, and I recommended it to everyone.

But it was doomed to eventually build its own continuity bloat. Also the 616 features a lot more jumping on points. Specifically whenever the writer changes.

Am I wrong on that? I wasn't reading a lot of comics in the 90s. Were there easy jumping on points for new readers back then? (And was it like it is now, whenever a book's writer changed?)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The 90s was when continuity bloat started hitting critical mass. Now we've swung around to the opposite problem and they can't stop relaunching for new readers. Squirrel Girl didn't even make it a year before it got a second #1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Yeah, the '90s were essentially Peak Continuity Bloat.

Modern Marvel has a lot more jumping-on points, but the Continuity Bloat isn't reduced so much as ignored - that is to say, the current direction is to try to use continuity as a tool to create good stories, but to push it aside when it becomes an obstacle to good stories. For a long time (especially in the '90s...) there was a sense that it didn't matter how good your story was, if it contradicted something that showed up in a single panel back in 1972 it wouldn't get out the door. Today Marvel is much more willing to say "gently caress, man, that was fifty years ago, handwave that poo poo away."

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

UU didn't have jumping on points but it did a really good job on making starting from the beginning easy by largely focusing on 4 core titles (Spidey, F4, Avengers, X) and sticking everything else into miniseries and ordering everything in trades. It also kept those 4 series pretty "isolated" from each other; you could just read UF4 or USM and never think you needed to read some other random book to follow what was going on. Ultimatum is where that kinda fell apart, as it seemed like other than USM everything was a miniseries.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah, the '90s were essentially Peak Continuity Bloat.

Modern Marvel has a lot more jumping-on points, but the Continuity Bloat isn't reduced so much as ignored - that is to say, the current direction is to try to use continuity as a tool to create good stories, but to push it aside when it becomes an obstacle to good stories. For a long time (especially in the '90s...) there was a sense that it didn't matter how good your story was, if it contradicted something that showed up in a single panel back in 1972 it wouldn't get out the door. Today Marvel is much more willing to say "gently caress, man, that was fifty years ago, handwave that poo poo away."

As long as they make the effort to actually handwave it instead of ignoring really blatant contradictions outright, even a continuity nut like me is happy.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Try Jeph Loeb.

That was kind of the joke, Millar portrayed the weird Wanda/Pietro relationship relatively subtly in Ultimates I and II.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah Ultimate Elektra/DD is absolutely Greg Rucka's worst comic and Ultimate Elektra might actually be Mike Carey's. They're both normally really good so don't let that turn you off their work. And you willingly subjected yourself to Orson Scott Card huh?

I swear I didn't know until I read most of em, I wasn't taking a good look at the front pages of the comic. Is the Armor Wars story any good?

I'll probably leave the team up stuff till the end but I've been convinced to read em now.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

qntm posted:

That was kind of the joke, Millar portrayed the weird Wanda/Pietro relationship relatively subtly in Ultimates I and II.

"Relatively" being the operative word.

And there was still no point to it beyond "Ha ha, twincest! I'm a grown man with a 13-year-old's sense of humor!"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are great in early Ultimates, where they're just a running gag.

"Actually, if you slow down the footage, you'll see that we did most of the work."

Sure thing, eurotrash gropesters. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Then at the end of volume 2 Quicksilver saves Hawkeye from another speedster in less than a second, and Clint is all "Quit standing around, and do something useful." totally oblivious.