Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
ethics in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wu Jen
May 22, 2008

Wise man say he who stir shit wind up with smelly finger!

CrazyTolradi posted:

How do you equate PvP to being like sex? How loving deranged do you have to be to confuse the two?

Meanwhile....back at Reddit.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6273006/#Comment_6273006

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CrazyTolradi posted:

How do you equate PvP to being like sex? How loving deranged do you have to be to confuse the two?

AugmentedVision posted:

The analogy doesn't even work at all

Marching Powder posted:

unironically equivocating being killed in a video game to rape is just so insanely wrong it's funny.

Somehow, Baudrillard and Eco has become required reading when dealing with Citizens and their perspective on how (and what) reality should be reflected in this game. It's just weird that having taken a course in postmodern philosophy and literature critique has proven to be this useful.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 2, 2016

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
The consensual PVP people are the funniest.
I'm not even sure why they think Star Citizen will be their dream game in the first place?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

I Greyhound posted:

I'm not even sure why they think Star Citizen will be their dream game in the first place?

Because every single piece of information released about the game has been vague non-committal bullshit specifically intended to steer gullible idiots into thinking it will be precisely their dream game?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

I Greyhound posted:

I refer you to my last post.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The current PTU is all they're going toget for a long time, possibly ever. They'll never implement mining or space IFE or whatever the gently caress these morons want to waste their lives on - all they'll do is make more ships and weapons flight ready. It will just descend into a ramming fest more and more.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i want star citizen to be immersive and have so much fidelity i forget that there is just so much wrong with me. however i do not want a huge number of extremely organized players to gain an unfair advantage over me. make it happen chris.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Can you get me the "This is where the Science comes in" image? Because I want that as my new background.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i seriously don't understand why they can't accept that certain areas are PVP and some are secure space. Like in almost any other game that is mmo ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZPb3_CYr-0

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Can you get me the "This is where the Science comes in" image? Because I want that as my new background.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 2, 2016

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

fuctifino posted:

There was talk a few pages back about the Restoration Hardware stuff, and someone (maybe even :lesnick:?) hinted they were purchased in a bankruptcy sale..

RH Outlet indeed...

"Remaindered"

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Does anyone know who made the "Goonrathi RamPaaaarp" 3d model?

https://sketchfab.com/models/01e3a1615d794f02971b3b73940483e9

If you know who, or you are that magnificent person, I'd love to get my hands on it for a little project I'm working on, preferably in a format that can be imported into Unity (below). PM me if you're down.

If anyone else wants to pitch in with the below types of 3d models for this lil' project, PM me and I'll give you the skin-skin.
- ships (that have clear/glass cockpits)
- space things
- space ports
- planets/stars
- space rocks/asteroids
- skymaps (stars/space)
- space mans and womans
- non-space related things that would be funny
- maybe an airhorn
- definitely an airhorn.

If you do animation too and want to make a janky bobblehead space idiot, check out the unity humanoid skeleton

Compatible formats:
- fbx
- obj
- dae
- 3ds
- dxf

Thanks in advance, in the present, and forevermore.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Tippis posted:

Somehow, Baudrillard and Eco has become required reading when dealing with Citizens and their perspective on how (and what) reality should be reflected in this game. It's just weird that having taken a course in postmodern philosophy and literature critique has proven to be this useful.

These "consensual PvP" types are all just ex-EVE highsec miners who lost their precious Orcas and mining barges to goon gankers, right?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CrazyTolradi posted:

These "consensual PvP" types are all just ex-EVE highsec miners who lost their precious Orcas and mining barges to goon gankers, right?

It's a fair guess that quite a few of them are, but I'm guessing that there's an even larger number who never even got into EVE because they heard of these obscene and inhumane acts of terrorism, and who think that they have finally found a game that will let them not experience that.

The whole PvP = rape idea is something I've seen in a frightening number of games, though, so it has to be bigger than that. I've found that it's really satisfying to take them down a peg or five by reading their statements as “you equate rape to a game” and then, in an ironic twist, ramming that down their throats. Given that perspective, most seem to actually grasp how truly idiotic the attempted analogy is, and they can't really put up much of a defence without very explicitly making themselves appear as rape apologists, in which case their posts tend to get nuked from orbit by the moderator teams… well, at least in a reasonably sane environment. Not sure it would work on reddit.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 2, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tippis posted:

obscene and inhumane acts of terrorism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=858ARtV4M9w

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

"Sorry mum, but I didn't choose to do chores, so I don't have to do my chores."

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I'm gonna be honest guys, I'm starting to have doubts this game is going to be released soon.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

celewign posted:

I'm gonna be honest guys, I'm starting to have doubts this game is going to be released soon.

Those are bad thoughts. You'll feel better after you buy some more spaceships.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

celewign posted:

You need to buy more spaceships. That will encourage Chris to expand the scope further and thus be done sooner.
Scope is kind of like a barn: the bigger it is, the easier it is to hit your target.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

So close...

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I gifted Lethality an account. Please do not violently enlarge his rear end in a top hat when he posts, unless he posts poo poo that deserves it.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
He's just so tired of star citizen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Haskell9 posted:

I gifted Lethality an account. Please do not violently enlarge his rear end in a top hat when he posts, unless he posts poo poo that deserves it.

I suspect that ratio will be pretty close to 1:1 but we won't know for sure

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Non-consentual PvP has got to be the funniest concept I've taken away from this thread. The thought that so many people are so afraid of competing against another human being in a game is really loving weird and funny to me in a way that I'm still having trouble describing.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

chris roberts email me and I'll make your alien languages

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

chris i'm thinking of something like the Martians in mars attacks! let me know what you think of this as a starting point

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

AlmightyPants posted:

Non-consentual PvP has got to be the funniest concept I've taken away from this thread. The thought that so many people are so afraid of competing against another human being in a game is really loving weird and funny to me in a way that I'm still having trouble describing.

This is one of those things that makes this extra hilarious. Even if the game came out with every feature CR promised, no matter where they set their PvP slider goons would still be poisoning their pets and setting fire to their spacewheat farms. The better the game is (hypothetically) the more goons would be there to plunder their asses in high ~fidelity~.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey welcome Mr Lethality! please dont feel obligated to post in here but by all means enjoy many other threads, all wonderful fruits on the awful vine

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

That wingman dude looks like a cool drunk uncle kinda guy

He was pretty cool, and I would love to talk to him about Descent Underground since that seems like cool game.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
I am excited for Lethality posts.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Should we assemble a Lethality specific FAQ?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Does anyone have a throwaway RSI account to invite TommyNoble?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
who is a TRUE BELIEVER who has posted ITT but hasn't come around? Ingloska seemed optimistic for awhile if iirc and Loliisslolosho I think gave up on it? Octopode IDFK what his opinion is anymore.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Mirificus posted:

Does anyone have a throwaway RSI account to invite TommyNoble?

sure, I can do it, if I can do that without a paid account

IF someone finds me the lowtax post while I log in and try to find his poo poo

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
lethality what do you think about bitcoin

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Sarsapariller posted:

But why would CIG hire a security consultant to scour their employees if they thought it was a person who'd already left? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

That was what I said when Bootcha told me, and we could only agree that, yeah, they aren't that bright and/or they ARE that paranoid. Paranoid right into stupidity.

Godmode Enabled posted:

Will CIG have a valentines day sale? Need a gift for my Anime Body Pillow Real life totally non fictional GF.
See you in the verse :v:

Yeah. Bootcha already made the Valentines. $3,000 each.

Romes128 posted:

i have a feeling chris roberts thinks chris roberts is the target audience for his video game.

:vince:

ewe2 posted:

FISH!

(I've got a better chance of getting actual fish from a web forum dispenser than from one in SC).

SPACE FISH!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

who is a TRUE BELIEVER who has posted ITT but hasn't come around? Ingloska seemed optimistic for awhile if iirc and Loliisslolosho I think gave up on it? Octopode IDFK what his opinion is anymore.

i think all octopodes opinions were replaced with data streams when he merged with Helios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Octopode IDFK what his opinion is anymore.

still making improbable rationalizations on behalf of CIG, but not as confident about it.

He's really the only true believer left who semi-actively posts in the thread.

• Locked thread