Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that was my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It shouldn't be, because I think they announced this alongside a trailer for Justice League vs. Teen Titans.

edit: Here's a poster

Wow, that is loving ugly. I mean the original JL/U had it's issues with the characters all coming from the same body mold, but woof.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think it actually looks pretty cute except the Justice League look like children.

So I guess they have a good design for... another Teen Titans cartoon?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
So has anyone seen the 1992 pilot/student film for the Powerpuff Girls, because it's insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnZCdiStKI

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wish Craig McCracken would narrate everything he does in that voice.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wish we lived in the universe where the show had somehow managed to keep the name "the whoop rear end girls".

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I love that even in its early art school form, the basic shape from the What a Cartoon model was still there. And that Professor Utonium was actually a bald Dexter.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
So over the past four months we've been marathonning Phineas and Ferb on Netflix. It started as something we put on for our daughter to watch after she came in from playing outside (my wife makes both of us play outside for at least an hour every day. Blechh) but my wife and I both got hooked on the show's well-crafted humor and excellent songs.
Finally watched the last episode last night. After thorough analysis I have concluded that Doctor Doofenshmirtz is the actual hero of the show, because he's the only character who learns and changes over the course of the series. Everyone else ends the series having learned nothing. Their character arcs are flat, Doofensmirtz, on the other hand has started down the path of repairing the relationship with his father and moved past his obsession with taking over the Tri-State Area.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Applewhite posted:

So over the past four months we've been marathonning Phineas and Ferb on Netflix. It started as something we put on for our daughter to watch after she came in from playing outside (my wife makes both of us play outside for at least an hour every day. Blechh) but my wife and I both got hooked on the show's well-crafted humor and excellent songs.
Finally watched the last episode last night. After thorough analysis I have concluded that Doctor Doofenshmirtz is the actual hero of the show, because he's the only character who learns and changes over the course of the series. Everyone else ends the series having learned nothing. Their character arcs are flat, Doofensmirtz, on the other hand has started down the path of repairing the relationship with his father and moved past his obsession with taking over the Tri-State Area.

He even has a "working with the enemy" moment with Perry at the dump that he trails his daughter to. Due to an accident when tailing her (as perry interrupts thinking he's up to something) he falls down a mound of garbage, knocks out the DJ and accidentally glues his hands to a pair of records - then Perry steps in a saves him from humiliating his daughter and himself using Doofensmirtz's Mind Controlinator and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZM5bxoccc

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

He even has a "working with the enemy" moment with Perry at the dump that he trails his daughter to. Due to an accident when tailing her (as perry interrupts thinking he's up to something) he falls down a mound of garbage, knocks out the DJ and accidentally glues his hands to a pair of records - then Perry steps in a saves him from humiliating his daughter and himself using Doofensmirtz's Mind Controlinator and this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZM5bxoccc

Yeah he has a pretty amicable relationship with Perry a lot of the time actually.
And yeah DJ Doof was p. great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Applewhite posted:

Yeah he has a pretty amicable relationship with Perry a lot of the time actually.
And yeah DJ Doof was p. great.

I like to think that these kinds of hero/villain rivalries are just part of some elaborate game. Sure, Doofenshmirtz really wants to do things that would annoy his brother, but I wouldn't be surprised is most of his plans were just excuses to get Perry to come over and play :kimchi:

Without this little war they just would never hang out.

Kinda like with Chase Young and Omi in Xiaolin Showdown. Sure Chase wants to turn Omi over to his side and make him his pupil but you can tell he has fun fighting with him as well.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I like to think that these kinds of hero/villain rivalries are just part of some elaborate game. Sure, Doofenshmirtz really wants to do things that would annoy his brother, but I wouldn't be surprised is most of his plans were just excuses to get Perry to come over and play :kimchi:

Or just a day job. Probably my favorite Major Monogram gag was when MM was all angry that Doofenshmirtz had called in sick to doing evil when he and Carl had come in despite feeling like poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It seems to happen a lot though that the most interesting characters in a property are rarely the main characters:

In Phineas and Ferb it's Heinz Doofenshmirtz

in Les Miserables Its the girl who is crushing on Cosette's love interest who disguises herself as a boy to join the front lines and also Javert, due to his conflict between the Law and his rapidly decaying Conscience.

in Xiaolin Showdown it's Raimundo due to his arc being a long running one and him becoming the Most Improved character by the end (and Jack Spicer due to the fact that he does try to go good, genuinely he wants to, but he is just too weak willed to resist temptation).

The exception tends to come chiefly in much darker media, The Baudelaires (a Series of Unfortunate Events) are interesting because of how the line blurs for them between good and evil, resulting in them performing less than admirable deeds out of desperation and lack of options. There are other Exceptions of ourse, ie Steven Universe, Kung Fu Panda and Paranorman manage to have very interesting main characters in their internal conflicts, as well as very interesting villains or secondaries.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I was a little disappointed that Candace didn't end up learning anything. I was sure she'd have learned to relax and have fun with her brothers by the end of summer.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, she can be funny but generally she's the worst character. I did like the episode with the Dull-And-Boring-Inator though that Hits the boys at the beginning of the day. Unfortunately Candace get's her foot stuck in one of the rocket skates and the other characters have to figure out a way to snap the two out of their funk so they can figure out a way to save her.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Applewhite posted:

Finally watched the last episode last night. After thorough analysis I have concluded that Doctor Doofenshmirtz is the actual hero of the show, because he's the only character who learns and changes over the course of the series.
Not the same show, but the creator of Wander over Yonder has admitted that this is pretty much true in his own show as well, with Hater being the real protagonist. The kids and Wander are entertaining and funny, but not the most interesting characters to follow season after season.

Applewhite posted:

I was a little disappointed that Candace didn't end up learning anything. I was sure she'd have learned to relax and have fun with her brothers by the end of summer.
I don't know, I personally felt that she was much less rabid in the end than in the beginning.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Miraculous Ladybug is quite fun. I watch the french version, 'cause the English version has a ton of cringeworthy slang. It's a cat-astrophe, I say!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW just started watching Phineas and Ferb (only saw a few scattered episodes until now including the hilarious Marvel crossover) and I loved the joke in the first episode with the Rollercoaster and the section of track called the "AaAaAaAa!". Thought that was funny.

Edit: So far Ferb get's the best lines after Doofenshmirtz. *Ferb Vulcan pinches Buford* Phineas: "Feeerb~" Ferb: "Well, he was all up in my face. :geno:"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 2, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Always nice to see people discovering Phineas and Ferb, Disney really hosed that show when they realized they were probably not going to be able to merchandise the poo poo out of it. I remember coming across it when my kids were 1-2 and I started watching kids' shows again with them, and was surprised at how hilarious it was.

It's great on the whole, although the quality fell off a cliff toward the end when Disney had burned the show out and apparently started scheduling new episode dates / times with a dartboard.

There was a good year or two where one of the soundtrack CDs would be in my car whenever I had to drive my kids somewhere.

If you're jonesing for more Doof, he had a short lived web series where he ranted about the internet (which used to be on Youtube but they wiped the channel for some reason, wtf Disney) and there was an hour long OWCA episode a couple months back that was totally un-advertised as far as I can tell and I only know it exists because it popped up on my DVR one day (but it was kind of bad anyway IMO).

Applewhite posted:

It's very much like those wolf / sheepdog Warner Bros. cartoons.

Applewhite posted:

Well, they did travel 20 years in the future and she still hadn't gotten over her obsession with busting them.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 2, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

Always nice to see people discovering Phineas and Ferb, Disney really hosed that show when they realized they were probably not going to be able to merchandise the poo poo out of it. I remember coming across it when my kids were 1-2 and I started watching kids' shows again with them, and was surprised at how hilarious it was.

Yeah I definitely didn't expect to like P&F at all. If anything I was expecting to dislike it. Still images don't really do the series justice and the animation by itself isn't really anything to write home about (the scene from the intro where the climb the Eiffel Tower and the scale is all jacked up still irks me). The writing and music is where it really shines and they more than make up for any artistic shortcomings.

I gotta ask, though, what's with the bug trio? (Doof 101/OWCA Files). They almost seem like they wandered in from another series.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Applewhite posted:

I gotta ask, though, what's with the bug trio? (Doof 101/OWCA Files). They almost seem like they wandered in from another series.

I dunno but they're terrible.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

I dunno but they're terrible.

They got a couple laughs out of me. My main issue with them was that their art style and theme are so jarringly different from the rest of the series.
It's hard to hate them outright, as JK Simmons does great voice work.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Pickle and Peanut is a lot more tolerable after multiple viewings. The humor can get pretty messed up but I'm okay with that.

Edit: Pickle adopts a family is a good example.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

thelaughingman posted:

Pickle and Peanut is a lot more tolerable after multiple viewings. The humor can get pretty messed up but I'm okay with that.

Edit: Pickle adopts a family is a good example.

Thanks to my daughter I've watched the "Busted" music video over a hundred times (along with "Dance Baby" and Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies) and I'm only a little sick of it, so Phineas and Ferb have a lot of staying power.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Watched a bit of Be Cool, Scooby-Doo. Kind of about what you'd expect: awful designs, forced humor, and over-all a Family Guy-esque Scooby-Doo.

The worst part is that some of it has potential. The dynamics between the characters are interesting enough, the pacing is decent, and the characters are fairly well-done in this version. Fred is the sane leader again and they managed to make that not boring. Shaggy, Scooby, and Velma are a little more selfish but not annoyingly so. Daphne's the real problem. She's basically a more competent Peter Griffin, with all the forced humor that implies. They could make her weird and goofy without making it feel so forced, but they just can't pull it off.

I guess that's almost worse to me than just being a garbage Scooby-Doo. If they just fixed a few things, it could've been great. But its hard to be the first Scooby after Mystery Inc, so I guess I get why they went the route they did.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gently caress yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAW07aPQMFk

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Haha I would watch the gently caress out of this show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh my god, is that VA Goku from Dragonball?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sounds like him at least.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ian JQ got CN to upload the 2013 pilot in HD recently (until now it's only been on the internet in poo poo quality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM6W8Oj-L3c

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just watched the Phineas and Ferb with Love Handel. My favourite line overall:

Phineas: Can we help?
Dad: Unfortunately not, unless you can work miracles...
Phineas: What's your budget? :smug:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Edit: Oh, it's not a show lol

:(

Excited to download the game, though.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 5, 2016

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Pakled posted:

Ian JQ got CN to upload the 2013 pilot in HD recently (until now it's only been on the internet in poo poo quality).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM6W8Oj-L3c

I like the new style. Seems more unique.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

So,as per the fact that Gravity Falls is either almost over or is over, I started watching Phineas and Ferb. Anyone got a list of episodes to avoid? A particularly dumb but well-meaning co-worker of mine tried to convince me that this is a reliable source. I told him to shove it,of course.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
some production info for the upcoming Ben 10 reboot leaked, and well it isn't a pretty sight; http://imgur.com/a/QVHLy

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

drrockso20 posted:

some production info for the upcoming Ben 10 reboot leaked, and well it isn't a pretty sight; http://imgur.com/a/QVHLy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

well in some respects it isn't that bad, Ben, Max, and Gwen all look fine, and the aliens that didn't change much from before are also decent enough, it's them changing a bunch of the aliens to be more humanoid and bland

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

So,as per the fact that Gravity Falls is either almost over or is over, I started watching Phineas and Ferb. Anyone got a list of episodes to avoid? A particularly dumb but well-meaning co-worker of mine tried to convince me that this is a reliable source. I told him to shove it,of course.
I can't recall anything particularly bad in that show, except perhaps the recent OWCA special? The earlier episodes didn't have the musical format yet and Phineas wasn't yet (as in the first episode) the completely chill, nice guy he is known as, but aside from that I can't thing of anything bad. Maybe the slew of special episodes at the end of the show are more controversial? Still, I enjoyed them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Well, Gravity Falls finale in 10 days. I'm hyped!

Edit: Also, just finished the first season of Phineas and Ferb. IMO The main weak link so far was Journey to the Bottom of Buford, but there are a lot of cute lines overall. I liked the one where the boys build a cartoon studio, just for Candace at the end:
"It got up. And danced away. Danced Away. Danced Away."
"You're saying it just got up and danced away?"
"See it even sounds crazy when you say it!"

Also P+F Get Busted is pretty great.

Doof and Perry are still easily the best though. I liked the subplots with Doof buying the house in the suburbs and just chilling with Perry for most of the day, and the one with his old teacher:

"You still think I'm evil, right :("
*Perry gives him a meaningful fingergun and smile*
"Thankyou... Perry the Platypus...:unsmith:"

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VolticSurge posted:

Having just marathonned the entire series from start to finish, including all the specials and the movie, I'd be hard-pressed to name a specific episode to "avoid" as even the most mediocre ones usually have something worthwhile, and the show has continuity so a good episode might reference a gag or fact from a previous episode. Even the clip shows manage to keep the framing device interesting enough to hold the viewer's attention.

I guess one episode you can skip is the clip show where Doofenshmirtz is extracting all his backstories at once.