Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

alphabettitouretti posted:

They should have a 'PVP slider' on the back that makes their fists move. So you can do a rock em sock em robots with CIG people.

Or, a PVP slider on the back that does nothing.

Just like the real one will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

They should have a 'PVP slider' on the back that makes their fists move. So you can do a rock em sock em robots with CIG people.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i feel so immersed already

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Ben's busy. They've got 100 star systems to build, he's needed for all the moons and planets.

So for all the immersion bullshit they've been promoting they will not use pre-existing systems in our galaxy, which somehow didn't piss off the immersion fanatics because...?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Ben's busy. They've got 100 star systems to build, he's needed for all the moons and planets.

So that explains why he's gaining weight all the time. Of course, it all makes sense. I mean, they use mo-cap, right? Sooo why not loving mo-cap the asteroids, moons, planets and stars.

I can finally understand where Ben is going… Ben is going where no man has ever been before, he's trying to become the UY Scuti of Crobbers space stimperium, so they can properly mo-cap the biggest recorded star in the universe.

Godspeed, Ben o17

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

MeLKoR posted:

Note to newcomers, beware of shitposting outside this thread, especially in D&D. Don't start shitposting before making sure the thread you're in is appropriate.

How far these threads have come since redirecting newcomers to GBS to post introduction threads. And having an AV fund to brand said newcomers, lol.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

This gif is I believe an accurate representation of what it must be like as an artist or coder working under the Crobber.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The PvP slider will just be a literal slider that blacks out certain sectors/systems/etc on the galaxy map where PvP isn't punishable by an ingame faction system

Calling it

or, comedy option, just copies GTAV and makes you a ghost ship that can't be shot

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
welcome all cats

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

How far these threads have come since redirecting newcomers to GBS to post introduction threads. And having an AV fund to brand said newcomers, lol.

If these people get banned in a week for posting "how's it going commandos lol" in the Israel/Palestine thread it's a waste of money.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

man, look at that fidelity

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

pepito sanchez posted:

they just need to move like people.

pepito sanchez posted:

ben could do everyone.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

The PvP slider will just be a literal slider that blacks out certain sectors/systems/etc on the galaxy map where PvP isn't punishable by an ingame faction system

Calling it

or, comedy option, just copies GTAV and makes you a ghost ship that can't be shot

The PvP slider is the dumbest thing ever because it would become the default playmode for everyone that isn't actively on a group raid looking for people that are all camouflaged by the slider. Why would you ever turn your PvP slider off except when you reached your hunting ground?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

The PvP slider is the dumbest thing ever because it would become the default playmode for everyone that isn't actively on a group raid looking for people that are all camouflaged by the slider. Why would you ever turn your PvP slider off except when you reached your hunting ground?

Why are we discussing a thing that won't be in the game anyway, given that the PU will never reach such a state where a PVP slider would be relevant? :smuggo:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The PVP slider won't be attached to any code and will rely on a placebo effect

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

darkarchon posted:

So guys, did I get this straight, aside from the 30 fps for the server that they are targeting (lol 30fps, surely that will be enough for playing and the game fps won't be tied to the server fps as they are right now, no no… and the spergs on reddit actually defend this decision :shrek:), nothing of value came from that latest 10FTC? Oh and right the 'contextual' «USE». gently caress this poo poo, the guy is completely uninformative and brings nothing of value to the table.
lol, 30??

guess he couldn't manage 24

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

That would be the best solution imo

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

MeLKoR posted:

it's not a completely terrible idea honestly, though still bad. myself coming from years in a pvp mmorpg -- the incredible game called classic ultima "no pussys" online. but these guys would have zero idea how to do it right or at all, just another Dream™ without the hindsight. the best thing i can think of for... why the gently caress am i even imagining this ever being a real commercially released mmorpg? anyways it would be having separate servers. red and blue.

since this game is never going to be released as an actual mmorpg past 64 player instances on 2018 computers i can safely assume gillian anderson will be reporting the news on a yearly basis for 400 million dollars of your pledge money.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

This gif is I believe an accurate representation of what it must be like as an artist or coder working under the Crobber.

What impresses me most is the speed and efficiency of it all. The catte just instinctively senses that someone has made an unapproved alteration to its environment and immediately comes to set things right. Just as immediately, and with the same level of focused determination, it leaves when the work is done.

Of course, that speed, efficiency, and determination also suggests that it's not a very good representation at all, so who knows…

MeLKoR posted:

Supposedly, because you won't be able to change it on a whim, but per standard CIG procedure, exactly what counts as a “at a whim” has never been adequately explained.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 2, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

darkarchon posted:

Why are we discussing a thing that won't be in the game anyway, given that the PU will never reach such a state where a PVP slider would be relevant? :smuggo:

Provided that C&S shut their mouthtraps and don't make it worse I'm not convinced this wave of dissent is enough to compromise CIGs financing to the point where they will collapse before the end of the year so I believe that something will eventually be shat out but certainly even Croberts would realize the consequences of such a slider.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

peter gabriel posted:

The very best solution would be to implement a PVP slider, but conspicuously leave out any 100% "safe" position. This would maximize tears and make for the most immersive goon gameplay.

Proposed slider settings, low to high:

1 - PVP flag is active and you are attackable by any player
2 - PVP flag is active and your position is broadcast to all nearby players
3 - PVP flag is active and your position is broadcast to all nearby goons
4 - PVP flag is active and you are teleported directly into the crosshairs of the nearest goon
5 - PVP flag is active and your ship is set to self-destruct

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

The broken corner is Star Marine

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
spoiler alert from my secret sources: gillian anderson marries ben in one of the cutscenes, living happily ever. literally the ending script of squadon420. a warm tale of a famous actress turned pirate falling in love with a whale from space

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

darkarchon posted:

Now, now, cast aside your citizen's shackles and pick apart the unimplementable gameplay features with the rest of us

Might as well close the thread otherwise (Derek plz don't close thread)

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I feel bad for the one programmer they have working on this game

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Now, now, cast aside your citizen's shackles and pick apart the unimplementable gameplay features with the rest of us

Might as well close the thread otherwise (Derek plz don't close thread)

OK the PVP slider is a bad idea and the people who brought it up should feel bad. This will completely destroy any sort of meaningful PvP, except implemented halfway decent (like the switch is only possible in a safe zone and not mid-way through). Although this seems also to be a bad idea since nobody would fly around with the PvP slider on, except those who want to pirate. And they will only be able to pirate everyone who wanted to pirate at all, so only pirates fighting pirates. Boy. This PvP slider doesn't seem to be a good idea at all.

Alas, receive more cattes

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Is that “one” as in the sum total of programming talent (CRobber counting as -5 or so), or are you being generous and counting Chris as 0.12?

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Fried Watermelon posted:

impossible functional requirements can be expected from lovely bosses. all you can do is say "si senor" and quickly update your linkedin, hoping for a better job where the executive's name doesn't end in roberts.

one of the best thing i do get out of this thread is what redditors and spergs on the ris forums think assume about any development, like they have a loving clue. pretty much like they make up having a clue about anything, deluding themselves into a tiny safezone. and in this thread how some goons think programmers are jacking off to this game like we're all loving nerds or something.......... wait

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Scruffpuff posted:

The very best solution would be to implement a PVP slider, but conspicuously leave out any 100% "safe" position. This would maximize tears and make for the most immersive goon gameplay.

Proposed slider settings, low to high:

1 - PVP flag is active and you are attackable by any player
2 - PVP flag is active and your position is broadcast to all nearby players
3 - PVP flag is active and your position is broadcast to all nearby goons
4 - PVP flag is active and you are teleported directly into the crosshairs of the nearest goon
5 - PVP flag is active and your ship is set to self-destruct

6 - PVP slider is set to Awesome and loads up Elite Dangerous

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beexoffel posted:

I... was suppressing my curiosity to read it for fear of emotional damage.

Aha, thanks. I see how ever harsher metaphors are needed to get through to those not understanding this scam.

There is no escape, only stimpire.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

6 - PVP slider is set to Awesome and loads up Elite Dangerous

That would be:

0 - PVP slider set to Elite Dangerous (you'll never run into anyone)

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

darkarchon posted:

OK the PVP slider is a bad idea and the people who brought it up should feel bad. This will completely destroy any sort of meaningful PvP, except implemented halfway decent (like the switch is only possible in a safe zone and not mid-way through). Although this seems also to be a bad idea since nobody would fly around with the PvP slider on, except those who want to pirate. And they will only be able to pirate everyone who wanted to pirate at all, so only pirates fighting pirates. Boy. This PvP slider doesn't seem to be a good idea at all.

Alas, receive more cattes

There's actually something like this in GTA Online. You can turn yourself unkillable but you can't use any weapons, and causing the death of someone (or someone causing yours) induces a cash penalty on the player.

Not that any of this matter due to the completely different nature of the games involved, or the possibility that the feature gets implemented in the first place, but there you go.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
loving carebears :argh:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Iglocska posted:

That would be:

0 - PVP slider set to Elite Dangerous (you'll never run into anyone)

Set it to 7 and you run into barnacles

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
hot BVP action

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This is the worlds most perfect analogy because:

1. When the chicken was raw it tasted like poo poo and made people sick
2. The chicken cost $1200 for which the dad had to beg on street corners
3. The dad doesn't know how to cook so he just put the chicken in the microwave for 8 hours
4. In the end the chicken still was inedible and everyone involved would have rather just had KFC.

Star Citizen: right now it's like raw chicken, but in a few years it'll be like microwaved chicken.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

darkarchon posted:

The original purpose of the PVP slider seems to have gotten lost in the endless stream of bullshit that comes out of Chris's mumbling pie-hole, so I will offer what I do remember cobbling together from his half-coherent rants.

The game is supposed to track your performance in PVP, and give you a relative skill ranking. Of course exactly how this ranking is to be calculated has not been determined in any way. Never mind the part about developing a game; every PVP player will somehow have a ranking. Let's say 1 for a newbie with a few kills, up to 10 for a badass who kills thousands and never dies.

The concept of the PVP slider was pitched as you selecting a "difficulty settings" of sorts, so that a determination was made for any two players whether or not they would appear PVP to each other. In that way, a rank 10 player could not target a rank 1, or vice-versa. If the rank 1 player wanted to give it a shot anyway, they could up the slider to a higher setting, making more encounters possible.

This is as much as Chris figured out. There are countless facets of this that would have to be ironed out, but CIG hasn't yet reached the "design" phase of this game, so it might be a while before we read about the feature in PCGamer's post-mortem article.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i'll reiterate that the pvp slider isn't a terrible idea. just bad.

- must be offline to slide
- must wait 2 hours between slider changes

the difficulty really is on the dev side. having separate servers for pvp and non-pvp is the best idea. having to make sure everyone is easily capable of seeing who's PK and who's non-pvp, while managing external damage sources on non-pvpers and the like are all difficult on split pvp/not pvp areas. it's why i think it's impossible for this particular team, specially given their short promised lifespan with so many much more important requirements, like michael jackson

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think a PVP slider is a great idea. When I fire up the Carrack for family nights I won't have to explain to my nephew on chat the long pirate assault animation when the stimpire boards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
yes i know my slider has two positions, off and on. it's the reason it's bad, 3 or more positions on the slider just makes things complicated and stupid.

• Locked thread