Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

pepito sanchez posted:

i'll reiterate that the pvp slider isn't a terrible idea. just bad.

- must be offline to slide
- must wait 2 hours between slider changes

the difficulty really is on the dev side. having separate servers for pvp and non-pvp is the best idea. having to make sure everyone is easily capable of seeing who's PK and who's non-pvp, while managing external damage sources on non-pvpers and the like are all difficult on split pvp/not pvp areas. it's why i think it's impossible for this particular team, specially given their short promised lifespan with so many much more important requirements, like michael jackson

And birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
We need a bird slider and hopefully a pvp bird slider as well
I'd also like a sliding slider to help decide how much my character slides around in the T pose

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

pepito sanchez posted:

the difficulty really is on the dev side. having separate servers for pvp and non-pvp is the best idea. having to make sure everyone is easily capable of seeing who's PK and who's non-pvp, while managing external damage sources on non-pvpers and the like are all difficult on split pvp/not pvp areas. it's why i think it's impossible for this particular team, specially given their short promised lifespan with so many much more important requirements, like michael jackson

If Star Citizen had separate PvP and PvE servers, we might no longer get posts like this:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd also like the slider to take up 60% of my screen at all times

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Scruffpuff posted:

The very best solution would be to implement a PVP slider, but conspicuously leave out any 100% "safe" position. This would maximize tears and make for the most immersive goon gameplay.

Proposed slider settings, low to high:

4 - PVP flag is active and you are teleported directly into the crosshairs of the nearest goon

Setting 4 might prove difficult to implement.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
maybe a slider underneath the slider to change the size of the slider

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

pepito sanchez posted:

spoiler alert from my secret sources: gillian anderson marries ben in one of the cutscenes, living happily ever. literally the ending script of squadon420. a warm tale of a famous actress turned pirate falling in love with a whale from space

So Moby Dick but with Space-Fuckin?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

We need a bird slider and hopefully a pvp bird slider as well
I'd also like a sliding slider to help decide how much my character slides around in the T pose

PvP bird slider? As in whether or not you can throw your birds at some other player's birds? Or wether you can eat someone else's miniature chicken burger? Will you be able to role-play as the 'verse's most aggressive KFC spokesman?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

pepito sanchez posted:

having separate servers for pvp and non-pvp is the best idea. having to make sure everyone is easily capable of seeing who's PK and who's non-pvp, while managing external damage sources on non-pvpers and the like are all difficult on split pvp/not pvp areas. it's why i think it's impossible for this particular team, specially given their short promised lifespan with so many much more important requirements, like michael jackson

Would it even be possible to have a true non-PVP server though? In most MMOs it's fairly trivial to put a switch in each ability that says "user is a player, target is a player, so do nothing", but SC is supposed to be a simulation with "realistic" physics. You could stop PVP gun fire causing damage, but stopping PVP collisions causing damage is another thing altogether.

Imagine we're in PvE Space, and I decide I'm going to ram you, the system has to register the collision and cause our ships to bounce off of each other, that's non-negotiable since there's no other way to prevent our ships from moving through each other. You could still block the collision damaging the ships, but what if I ram you and knock you into an asteroid, or the side of a space station? The you vs asteroid collision will still do damage, so in principle I can still damage you if I'm clever enough. The only solution I can think of is disabling all damage to player ships from collisions with anything.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Tippis posted:

You need to buy more spaceships. That will encourage Chris to expand the scope further and thus be done sooner.
Scope is kind of like a barn: the bigger it is, the easier it is to hit your target.

Star Citizen: Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at two paces weeks.

fuzzknot fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 2, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

pepito sanchez posted:

From a long term economic perspective this is irrelevant. If miners and traders can go about their business everywhere in the universe unimpeded then it will always be more profitable to go around with PvP off, amass huge wealth, buy the biggest sperg chariot and then go hunting "griefers" AKA anyone that doesn't go around with PvP off all the time.

So long as the money/assets gained with PvP off can be retained when you change to PvP on then anyone that isn't a carebear is hosed.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

PvP bird slider? As in whether or not you can throw your birds at some other player's birds? Or wether you can eat someone else's miniature chicken burger?

Think Mexican cock fights but this time the roosters are wearing space helmets

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

maybe a slider underneath the slider to change the size of the slider

And I want to be able to do contexual things with the sliders.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
*boards space ship casually for 5 hour flight to planet with special cute pink pony aliens*

hmm yes i will have a margarita pls

*watches sexy avatar walk away*

ahhhhh time to watch the latest space marinecast

*sees beautiful gillian anderson in all her glory nervously looking into the camera and following script*

good, good....

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

peter gabriel posted:

Set it to 7 and you run into barnacles

8 - PvP hits you with the worst kind of electricity imaginable, the pain of which doubles every two seconds, making that the worst kind of electricity imaginable, for two seconds, until...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Tippis posted:

PvP bird slider? As in whether or not you can throw your birds at some other player's birds? Or wether you can eat someone else's miniature chicken burger? Will you be able to role-play as the 'verse's most aggressive KFC spokesman?

it might be wise to have a slider for all of those imo

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

Think Mexican cock fights but this time the roosters are wearing space helmets

Ah, so they're licensing that Space Quest 3 arcade game and spicing it up a bit. I approve.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Son #1: Why is the chicken taking so long? It's been in the oven for 4 hours. And why does it smell so bad? Is it supposed to smell like that?
Son #2: Shut up, he forgot to turn the oven on so really it's like it's only been cooking for 15 minutes, and it's made a lot of progress for only 15 minutes.
Dad: I'm getting really sick of you shits asking me when the chicken is going to be done, so from now on I promise I will NEVER tell you when I think the chicken will be done.
Son #1: What makes you think this chicken is going to be so great? You haven't even cooked chicken for 15 years, what makes you think you have any clue you still know how to do it?
Dad: I'm getting really annoyed by you people asking me questions.
Son #1: Plus once you quit cooking chicken, and started cooking other stuff, all that other stuff was totally loving horrible and you got kicked out of the kitchen.
Mom: I've been the world's greatest chicken chef ever since I was a small girl.
Son #2: I really want to put some razor blades in your genitals.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

MeLKoR posted:

From a long term economic perspective this is irrelevant. If miners and traders can go about their business everywhere in the universe unimpeded then it will always be more profitable to go around with PvP off, amass huge wealth, buy the biggest sperg chariot and then go hunting "griefers" AKA anyone that doesn't go around with PvP off all the time.

a very good point and one reason why zero mmorpgs do split pvp/pve except in small "arena" style areas. i do forget how important loot would be in this kind of rpg. i'm really the terrible masterdebater trying my best to find the good in the argument. it's POSSIBLE and not terrible, but still bad.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mr Fronts posted:

8 - PvP hits you with the worst kind of electricity imaginable, the pain of which doubles every two seconds, making that the worst kind of electricity imaginable, for two seconds, until...

It blows a fuse, then I have to rummage through my inventory to replace it.

Roberts really is a genius.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

This is basically how I figure everyone who is a white knight is like. I just assume they're SUPER into anime and have creepy statues of schoolgirls all around their house.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

pepito sanchez posted:

a very good point and one reason why zero mmorpgs do split pvp/pve except in small "arena" style areas. i do forget how important loot would be in this kind of rpg. i'm really the terrible masterdebater trying my best to find the good in the argument. it's POSSIBLE and not terrible, but still bad.

I don't see how this is possible for a "first person immersion universe". Nobody will ever run around with PvP on.

Andronian
Feb 17, 2012

I'm posting from 600 pages back! I have no context of what is going on around me in the thread where this post ends up.

Which is kind of like Croberts trying to make Wing Commander But Better only the games industry has moved a mile a minute and he no longer has any idea what is a good idea or even possible with today's tech. Except instead of telling all of you to expect a good post and to give me a million dollars for it, I just decided to do it for free. You're welcome Citizens :)

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

darkarchon posted:

I don't see how this is possible for a "first person immersion universe". Nobody will ever run around with PvP on.

it happens in a game i don't play but have a fondness of: dayz.

from the beginning since reading these threads i thought that was his initial dream: dayz in space.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Goobs posted:

This is basically how I figure everyone who is a white knight is like. I just assume they're SUPER into anime and have creepy statues of schoolgirls all around their house.
I picture Matilda2013 with a voodoo doll of Derek Smart and a shrine to Sandi.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

Andronian posted:

I'm posting from 600 pages back! I have no context of what is going on around me in the thread where this post ends up.

Which is kind of like Croberts trying to make Wing Commander But Better only the games industry has moved a mile a minute and he no longer has any idea what is a good idea or even possible with today's tech. Except instead of telling all of you to expect a good post and to give me a million dollars for it, I just decided to do it for free. You're welcome Citizens :)

crobberts lied. citizens died.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

…what if CRobber had opted for a sprite-based pixel-graphic arcade shooter in space instead of all this CryEngine nonsense?
Nostalgia is in, and he wouldn't be 20 years outside of his comfort zone.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Andronian posted:

it works cause chris is also making games from 10 years ago

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Tippis posted:

…what if CRobber had opted for a sprite-based pixel-graphic arcade shooter in space instead of all this CryEngine nonsense?
Nostalgia is in, and he wouldn't be 20 years outside of his comfort zone.

That wouldn't work for VR. which was a selling point for his game.

…which was canned a few days ago :smug:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Update on the e-reader front

after breaking my Kobo Aura's screen yesterday (by literally pressing my thumb on it) I got myself a Kindle Voyage

It's a pretty good catte no fur though

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

darkarchon posted:

That wouldn't work for VR. which was a selling point for his game.

…which was canned a few days ago :smug:

It would probably have worked better than what they're currently going with, cancelled or not.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

after breaking my Kobo Aura's screen yesterday (by literally pressing my thumb on it) I got myself a Kindle Voyage

Man, I really wish they would make e-readers with buttons to switch pages again. The Voyage is partially that, but I don't want no loving touchscreen on those things. I love to lay on my side and read one-handed :argh: this is working out perfectly with my Kindle 3. I really hope it won't break ever, because literally no good e-readers have buttons for switching pages. That's loving annoying.

Tippis posted:

It would probably have worked better than what they're currently going with, cancelled or not.

Well, the Cryengine can't do sprites like that very well, so that would have been hard to implement, because Chris would have had to do some actual programming then.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Set it to 7 and you run into barnacles

Sounds like the setting to use if you are a fan of the fourth stimpire!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tippis posted:

Ah, so they're licensing that Space Quest 3 arcade game and spicing it up a bit. I approve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt17LwmT7c but in the CryEngine with 4 degrees of freedom and realworld shading technology

Also this is way too close to how landing the Retaliator felt

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Voyage is a good e-reader!

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Goobs posted:

same, but goons

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Goobs posted:

https://twitter.com/Clifford_Miku/status/689636460153077760

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

alf_pogs posted:

hey welcome Mr Lethality! please dont feel obligated to post in here but by all means enjoy many other threads, all wonderful fruits on the awful vine

Space grapes, space tomatoes . . . OMG somebody ask in the next 10FTC if there will be space farming and space vineyards (with space wine for the drink mixing machines).

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

notoriousman posted:

same, but goons

goons ruin everything including they our selves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

darkarchon posted:

Man, I really wish they would make e-readers with buttons to switch pages again. The Voyage is partially that, but I don't want no loving touchscreen on those things. I love to lay on my side and read one-handed :argh: this is working out perfectly with my Kindle 3. I really hope it won't break ever, because literally no good e-readers have buttons for switching pages. That's loving annoying.

You can configure which parts of the screen page left/right though?

• Locked thread