Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Exioce posted:

That seemed kinda okay? I mean he was running around places, and then I think he got into a ship and flew it somewhere. Seems like the bare bones are there, or am I missing something really big?

3 years and 105 million = kinda ok.

anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

trucutru posted:

Does the completionist package include access to the game?

Yes until Feb 14th, at which point there will be a $15000 package for SC and a $15000 packaged for S42 with skippable cutscenes.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

They just moved probably the last 30 or so million into the UK. If you assume a burn rate of 3 million a month, that's still 10 months of cash left where they need to push out SQ42, which will be all but impossible if Chirs is still micro managing with his head up his rear end (he is). If you assume they have a line of credit, you might be able to add another several million. So maybe a year, year and a half left.

We've seen nothing of Squadron 42 and you don't simply go from in development to full launch without showing the press something, even a playable section. (And no Reddit, Fallout 4 doesn't count because it technically wasn't even announced until it was nearing the end of its development life and nobody saw it beforehand). This would be a difficult tasks to complete in a year or so for an experienced production team with comparable resources. To one that seems to be bleeding talent and has a higher turnover than a fast food restaurant with a micromanaging boss who is criticizing how you scrub the toilets, its basically impossible.

The greatest irony is that Chris is so narcissistic that he thinks people actually give a hot gently caress about Squadron 42. The Star Citizen name is already dogshit. The sea of diarrhea that he calls his fans are already starting to show dissent. Once they realize their 'Space Dreams' have been exploited for a vanity project, that's pretty much the end. There will still be die-hard idiots who are mentally retarded, deficient and insane, but not enough to finish this poo poo off.

EDIT:
I did just see 'The Big Short' and Derek is definitely Mark Baum.

AP posted:

30 million left without credit seems a lot to me, but if was true in ten months they could raise an additional 20 million fairly easily, based on last year. I think faith, hope and charity are going to run out this year but even if they don't, it's hard to see CIG in 2017 being in much better of a position that they are now, backers will just have seen more and there's always worse to come.

I had spoken to some people when this broke. They claim that wording is key.

quote:

The US based video game company is increasing its investment in Foundry 42, a UK games studio it set up with support from UKTI.

Cloud Imperium has invested around £15 million in its UK business so far. Having started out with one floor of an office building, in 2015 the company took on a second floor and is already planning to expand to a third.

They're saying that this press release was about two things:

1) UKTI promoting the allocation of tax credits to a UK company - for the public record. It happens here in the US as well, when States do the same thing. e.g. The Rhode Island $75M investment in 38 Studios

2) The total approx investment of CIG into the Foundry 42. The UKTI would have this number since they'd need to have all those records when CIG/F42 applied for those tax credits anyway

So, the notion that they had $30M on hand, to send to the UK, is inaccurate. They simply don't have that kind of money on hand; let alone to take out of the US and send over to the UK without causing serious financial problems for US operations.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
the sheer scope of the project at this point, thats not really bare bones at all

people backed, though stupidly, on the concept of a universe sim with wing commander and FPS level micro

walking around and getting on ships and flying is more like one cervical vertebrae

e: like the x-ray of said vertebrae, not the actual bone. And it's got osteoporosis something fierce.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

trucutru posted:

Does the completionist package include access to the game?

It's one of the "game packages" so I believe so

Not gonna buy one and find out

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Tahjir posted:

Been lurking in these threads since late September, so after seeing the free flight week I decided to try it out to see just how bad it could possibly be.

At first everything seemed... functional. Sure, I moved like I was several hundred pounds overweight and it seemed like my head was attached to my left shoulder, but I was able to move and interact with my environment, two essential parts of the gaming experience. After several minutes of wandering I discovered the ship-summoning terminals and excitedly chose the first ship listed, and was told that there weren't any available spaces, nor was I allowed to summon the remaining two ships. Five minutes later I summoned the RSI Aurora, and upon finding it on the landing pad, realized it was the ugliest loving ship I had ever seen. Regardless, I attempted to board and was kicked from the server, and then my computer hard-locked.

Second attempt: I summoned some sort of fighter. I climbed inside like an arthritic grandmother boarding a roller-coaster and batted soundlessly at the mess of buttons and toggles, nothing inside the cockpit animating in any way. The screen lit up, and I was kicked due to an authentication error.

Third attempt: I ran as quickly as I could, summoned the Aurora again, and made it inside after waiting for my turn at the airlock. Once on board I noticed a small passage behind the cockpit and opened it. It turned out to be a tiny cot, which my character proceeded to loudly sleep upon. No combination of buttons would end the animation. Over the snoring, I could hear gunfire and explosions. Somewhere, someone was actually gaining some measurable amount of entertainment. Above me, the reflection in the ceiling split in two and began to vibrate. I mashed every button on my keyboard, inadvertently bringing up my mobiglass, which caused the game to crash.

Fourth attempt: I played Elite instead. Sure, it may not have the sheer fidelity, realism, and immersion, but at least I can get off the damned space station in less than an hour.

Fidelity.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Whatever happened with the whole F42 never filed their taxes debacle.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beexoffel posted:

I am not a native speaker, so I had to look up what the title of Derek's latest essay meant.

Errm, you meant that you are "shining a brilliant light on the uninformed", right?

It was either shafting or screwing.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Hav posted:

There are also NDA and defamation clauses in some contracts that make it close to impossible to go to outside arbitration, particularly in the US. In the UK, you can go hog wild because you'll be largely protected by employment law, but in the US the concept of someone not working in a town again, while hyperbole is much more realistic. You can be sued for giving a bad reference in the UK, so you look out for neutral recommendations as 'bad'.

That they decided to fight the refund in the UK courts is more an attempt to chill the conversation than to effectively fight it; and I can't help thinking that they completely misjudged it, to be honest. The UK courts don't have that tendency to come down in favour of the defendent.

Bootcha and I talked/argued a lot about that before he found out much of what he's disclosed in this thread. His thinking was that surely some employee would have come forward by now if there were anything that foul really going on. I've had several years of experience in retail and theatre, both industries where complaining gets you nowhere but for different reasons, and I pointed out that there are many reasons employees might not come forward, not the least of which is a lack of legal protection.

In my own bad experiences in retail, my reasons for not coming forward or reporting issues included not knowing my rights, not caring enough because it was a seemingly minor issue, not caring because I knew I wouldn't stay there much longer anyway, fearing retaliation (including firing), not being able to prove anything, not being able to afford a lawyer, etc.

The only times I actually did anything about it were filing a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission issuing a final demand for wages from an employer who casually decided not to give me my last paycheck, and the time a group of female stagehands (including me) complained to HR because the female assistant stage manager wasn't giving any of us calls for work. The former was successful; the latter was not (due to aforementioned failure to actually provide solid proof).

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
What happened with all the speculation that CIG had private investors that weren't crowdsourced? I heard rumor some months ago that investors were around that had pumped cash into SC? Did that get debunked?

fuzzknot posted:

Bootcha and I talked/argued a lot about that before he found out much of what he's disclosed in this thread. His thinking was that surely some employee would have come forward by now if there were anything that foul really going on. I've had several years of experience in retail and theatre, both industries where complaining gets you nowhere but for different reasons, and I pointed out that there are many reasons employees might not come forward, not the least of which is a lack of legal protection.

In my own bad experiences in retail, my reasons for not coming forward or reporting issues included not knowing my rights, not caring enough because it was a seemingly minor issue, not caring because I knew I wouldn't stay there much longer anyway, fearing retaliation (including firing), not being able to prove anything, not being able to afford a lawyer, etc.

The only times I actually did anything about it were filing a complaint with the Texas Workforce Commission issuing a final demand for wages from an employer who casually decided not to give me my last paycheck, and the time a group of female stagehands (including me) complained to HR because the female assistant stage manager wasn't giving any of us calls for work. The former was successful; the latter was not (due to aforementioned failure to actually provide solid proof).

For many people, if you leak or whistleblow in the games industry and your identity is found out, it's tantamount to career suicide. People might not like what is going on around them, but they also like to eat. A lot of industries are like this, whistleblower laws be damned. You're damaged goods in comparatively insular industry of developers and publishers. Or, for some people, it's just a paycheck and so long as you still get paid, why give a poo poo, or why sink the ship early that's allowing you to cash your checks.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 2, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

Fidelity.

Did you know that goons are planning to use "let me loving finish" for the goon-de-yada project if you don't record something?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Did you know that goons are planning to use "let me loving finish" for the goon-de-yada project if you don't record something?

im glad

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

trucutru posted:

it's better that way

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff posted:

I meant to draw attention to this post yesterday so this comes a bit late. These quotes baffle me:

What in the hell is this guy on about? Not even taking into account his extremely confident cadence while describing the realities of a game that does not exist, this is ridiculous on every level. He uses the word tactile several times during his tirade, and he uses it wrong each time. I'm starting to think Star Citizen might not be a cult after all - it's more like a disease. Once you catch it, you slowly go insane until fantasy and reality merge entirely. In a tactile way, of course.
Yeah, I noticed that weird use of tactile too. It seemed slightly less notable than wanting trips to take 6-12 hours which is what I highlighted. I think I remember seeing some follow-up posts by other posters in that thread also using that term. At first I thought they had mistaken tactical for tactile but they really do mean tactile.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

That rear end in a top hat is blocked on Twitter. So what's this about then?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Kimsemus posted:

What happened with all the speculation that CIG had private investors that weren't crowdsourced? I heard rumor some months ago that investors were around that had pumped cash into SC? Did that get debunked?

Hmm? Yeah, Bootcha was an investor. Emphasis on WAS.

Kimsemus posted:

For many people, if you leak or whistleblow in the games industry and your identity is found out, it's tantamount to career suicide. People might not like what is going on around them, but they also like to eat. A lot of industries are like this, whistleblower laws be damned. You're damaged goods in comparatively insular industry of developers and publishers.

Retaliation, yeah. That's the main reason nobody wants to complain in any industry. It's the reason I insisted on maintaining anonymity when I filed a complaint with OSHA once in my stagehand days. It's the reason I don't bitch directly to my current bosses about what idiots they are; I'd like a reference down the road, and it's impossible to say tactfully that they just plain don't know what they're doing most of the time and are running their company into the ground. It's easier (and ultimately better for me) to just seek employment elsewhere.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

D_Smart posted:

That rear end in a top hat is blocked on Twitter. So what's this about then?

no clue but I took a screencap for you:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

nVidiaStar Citizen: The Way It's Meant To Be Played

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

Daztek posted:

poor guy needs help

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzknot posted:

Hmm? Yeah, Bootcha was an investor. Emphasis on WAS.

Retaliation, yeah. That's the main reason nobody wants to complain in any industry. It's the reason I insisted on maintaining anonymity when I filed a complaint with OSHA once in my stagehand days. It's the reason I don't bitch directly to my current bosses about what idiots they are; I'd like a reference down the road, and it's impossible to say tactfully that they just plain don't know what they're doing most of the time and are running their company into the ground. It's easier (and ultimately better for me) to just seek employment elsewhere.

Bootcha is one of my favorite people here because he had the money to invest in a dream project and he did it. If I had the money to do something like that, I would too. But then when things went obviously south he remained objective enough to get the gently caress out.

cool guy overall IMO

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

Well I recorded another one this weekend and I simply don't like it. So that was my second take.

I'm going to need to get together with Bootcha to figure it out.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Is that for real? We may have found a friend for Kurt_M.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Kimsemus posted:

For many people, if you leak or whistleblow in the games industry and your identity is found out, it's tantamount to career suicide. People might not like what is going on around them, but they also like to eat. A lot of industries are like this, whistleblower laws be damned. You're damaged goods in comparatively insular industry of developers and publishers. Or, for some people, it's just a paycheck and so long as you still get paid, why give a poo poo, or why sink the ship early that's allowing you to cash your checks.

Publishing is/used to be like that too.

16 years ago, I worked for a 'black' (as in unregistered) publishing company in Paris that was run by a cokehead. I was one of the only salaried people there, the rest being abused unpaid interns. She never paid her rent or printing bills, nor did she declare taxes. She treated her staff like slaves, yet nobody had the courage to complain for fear of destroying any future career in publishing.

I also worked for a really dodgy (yet relevant and important) medical journal which used blackmail and politics to select which medical journals to publish. Most important studies had to cite the owner's dead-for-30-year husband's very-outdated research before they'd get published, and it had a stupidly high and thoroughly fraudulent impact factor of 9.x at one time. I saw really important studies being binned just because x worked at such and such and y went to the wrong university. Again, nobody complained for fear of being blacklisted. I could write an entire thread about that job now that the owner is dead. lol

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Kimsemus posted:

no clue but I took a screencap for you:

OK so it looks like he went to visit them. Meanwhile, they're still hiding the fact that they've moved the Austin studio?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

It does say a lot about the game and what it's going to be

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

OK so it looks like he went to visit them. Meanwhile, they're still hiding the fact that they've moved the Austin studio?

He's a nazi is the thing

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I think it's really sweet that Bootcha hooked up with his publicist

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

fuctifino posted:

I could write an entire thread about that job now that the owner is dead. lol

yes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Some dubious paraphernalia there

also some nazi stuff I guess

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

I'm playing Ultima Online 2.0 in my head right now, that says a lot about the potential of the game

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Daztek posted:

Hook up some kind of device to interface with this guys brain...boom Star Citizen done.

I just saved Star Citizen.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

D_Smart posted:

I had spoken to some people when this broke. They claim that wording is key.

They're saying that this press release was about two things:

1) UKTI promoting the allocation of tax credits to a UK company - for the public record. It happens here in the US as well, when States do the same thing. e.g. The Rhode Island $75M investment in 38 Studios

2) The total approx investment of CIG into the Foundry 42. The UKTI would have this number since they'd need to have all those records when CIG/F42 applied for those tax credits anyway

So, the notion that they had $30M on hand, to send to the UK, is inaccurate. They simply don't have that kind of money on hand; let alone to take out of the US and send over to the UK without causing serious financial problems for US operations.
Because I don't know about business, does this just mean that CIG gets to deduct that amount when filing their taxes because they've spent that much to expand their UK operations because it means they're helping the UK economy by adding more jobs, renting office space, etc. and that all this has happened over the last year or two so it's not like it's a big infusion of cash to the UK studio all of a sudden?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

The pose with him and the anime pre-teen is just so loving cringeworthy. I can't even.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

D_Smart posted:

Well I recorded another one this weekend and I simply don't like it. So that was my second take.

Don't be a Roberts.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

I'm going to need to get together with Bootcha to figure it out.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i just noticed he's "aka Miku"

yeah sure a lot of people call you miku, you nazi creeper bastard

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

Bootcha is one of my favorite people here because he had the money to invest in a dream project and he did it. If I had the money to do something like that, I would too. But then when things went obviously south he remained objective enough to get the gently caress out.

cool guy overall IMO

Can someone fill me in on the Bootcha saga? This thread goes really fast and I'm sure I missed it.

fuctifino posted:

Publishing is/used to be like that too.

16 years ago, I worked for a 'black' (as in unregistered) publishing company in Paris that was run by a cokehead. I was one of the only salaried people there, the rest being abused unpaid interns. She never paid her rent or printing bills, nor did she declare taxes. She treated her staff like slaves, yet nobody had the courage to complain for fear of destroying any future career in publishing.

I also worked for a really dodgy (yet relevant and important) medical journal which used blackmail and politics to select which medical journals to publish. Most important studies had to cite the owner's dead-for-30-year husband's very-outdated research before they'd get published, and it had a stupidly high and thoroughly fraudulent impact factor of 9.x at one time. I saw really important studies being binned just because x worked at such and such and y went to the wrong university. Again, nobody complained for fear of being blacklisted. I could write an entire thread about that job now that the owner is dead. lol

I think corruption and nepotism is a part of most jobs and is expected to a degree, and smart people find ways to just work within that corruption (sounds like you did) but it can go way, way too far, and CIG is a really good example of that.

CIG is like a drug dealer in a drug ridden city -- the cops sort of turn a blind eye to most dealers because it's not worth the time and trouble and it's sort of just the way things are, but when one druglord (croberts) simply gets too big and draws too much attention, eventually he's going to have to go down for it. Too many waves and all that.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DigitalMocking posted:

The pose with him and the anime pre-teen is just so loving cringeworthy. I can't even.

You just know he's naked from the waist down

• Locked thread