Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Collateral posted:

Is there a daughter called Elaine?

The daughter is Myra, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Collateral posted:

Is there a daughter called Elaine?

I have a feeling that if they go with that stuff they're going to put it on the lady cop.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

wormil posted:

Also if he turns mortal, I'm out, because there is nothing left at that point except buddy cop show.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the writers have in mind, and I doubt they will strip all the supernatural from the series, considering that people like Grimm(right?), which it's a police series with creatures and magic.

Like they say, this was an ok and fun pilot, let's see by episode 3 how things go.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Desperado Bones posted:

Like they say, this was an ok and fun pilot, let's see by episode 3 how things go.

Yeah, I just watched the pilot yesterday and I really liked it.

Pilots to me are weird, I've liked plenty of pilots and can't stand a show by episode 3, see: Revolution.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Kicked her in the no-no-touch-swear.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghosthotel posted:

Lucifer the comic is a fantasy epic about free will vs predestination that they turned into a procedural cop drama.

This is my problem. I couldn't care less if they make a different show as long as it is original, but really? Another smug intolerable early 30's white guy with special abilities/knowledge solves crimes with a more serious female/minority/female minority cop/detective/caretaker partner? We really need one more of those shows? Something felt odd from the start until I realized that it was interchangeable with any other similar show except the guy is the devil I guess but it works pretty much the same in practice

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 1, 2016

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
At least Sleepy Hollow had the Headless Horseman running around with machineguns and swords tearing poo poo up to keep it entertaining.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

This is my problem. I couldn't care less if they make a different show as long as it is original, but really? Another smug intolerable early 30's white guy with special abilities/knowledge solves crimes with a more serious female/minority/female minority cop/detective/caretaker partner? We really need one more of those shows? Something felt odd from the start until I realized that it was interchangeable with any other similar show except the guy is the devil I guess but it works pretty much the same in practice

Yeah, his partner should've been a white dude to make it fresh.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
As it happens, Bald White Dude does describe Solomon administering justice. Except he's closer to villain almost, and we can't have that in police procedural.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I just watched the pilot yesterday and I really liked it.

Pilots to me are weird, I've liked plenty of pilots and can't stand a show by episode 3, see: Revolution.
Yeah, I got off the Revolution bandwagon REAL fast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

At least Sleepy Hollow had the Headless Horseman running around with machineguns and swords tearing poo poo up to keep it entertaining.
The novelty of that is greatly overstated. The first season ran out of gas and the second was pretty much unwatchable.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The second was pretty good until the writers just went from 0 to "WHAT THE gently caress" as far as the plot went.

They had no idea what they wanted to do, so they just started lobbing poo poo at the wall and hoping something stuck, unaware that even if it sticks, it's still poo poo.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This show is kind of stupidly goofy fun and it's only like 15 minutes into the second episode.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

TMMadman posted:

This show is kind of stupidly goofy fun and it's only like 15 minutes into the second episode.

Yeah, it kept a lot of the momentum from the last one now that we know everyone. Decker's growing on me, too. Enough for me to remember her name, at least.

Edit: Oh my god, him using that angel's time bullshit as bullet-time was great.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 2, 2016

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, it kept a lot of the momentum from the last one now that we know everyone. Decker's growing on me, too. Enough for me to remember her name, at least.

Edit: Oh my god, him using that angel's time bullshit as bullet-time was great.

Using it to piss him off AND to pluck the bullet was hilarious.

Also trying to have A Special Moment(tm) with her daughter, only for her to admit to already knowing about it (and bitch that it isn't even in HD) is also pretty hilarious.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So the show is going to be Lucifer telling people "Well, yeah I am the Devil" and no matter what he does or says no one will believe him? That sounds fun as hell for little asides like the intro streey preacher and the therapist.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I enjoyed it. It's still not the comic, but then again they couldn't get David Bowie to play Lucifer so it'd never have been right anyway.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
While I didn't expect they would be faithful to the comics I wish they hadn't made it yet another police procedural. I'd rather have "Lucifer is bored, got out of hell and now has a bar, to pass the time he meddles in the life of his costumers and other humans around him". So they could have self contained episodes with some metaplot in between (just like police procedurals) and the liberty to focus on different stuff instead of just helping solve crimes.

Or do episodes/seasons focused on different groups of people and make Lucifer and Lux be a constant background for the different plot threads. I think he could work better as a secondary character, the constant to the show.

Well, I'll probably watch it for at least 4 eps to see where it goes.

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 2, 2016

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

ZZZorcerer posted:

While I didn't expect they would be faithful to the comics I wish they hadn't made it yet another police procedural. I'd rather have "Lucifer is bored, got out of hell and now has a bar, to pass the time he meddles in the life of his costumers and other humans around him". So they could have self contained episodes with some metaplot in between (just like police procedurals) and the liberty to focus on different stuff instead of just helping solve crimes.

Or do episodes/seasons focused on different groups of people and make Lucifer and Lux be a constant background for the different plot threads. I think he could work better as a secondary character, the constant to the show.

Well, I'll probably watch it for at least 4 eps to see where it goes.

If that were the show, I guarantee the general response would be "Why don't they make the super-charismatic Lucifer character the focal point of the show instead of these less-interesting regular people?'

I liked the pilot, and the second episode continued pretty much all the things I liked. Definitely going to keep watching.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I liked ep 2 better than the pilot. I'm a little disappointed, not because it doesn't follow the comics, which I liked but have no idea how anyone could translate to a tv show, but because what they did make is so formulaic. I liked The Mentalist, a lot. I liked D'Onofrio's law and order show. I thought Forever was okay, I liked most of the early seasons of Elementary, I don't mind the "charming-but-weird-wise-rear end and female straight-man" formula. But If you're going to make one of your main characters literally Satan, I would hope you could come up with something a little unique for him to do. So far? Not really.

But it's an okay show and honestly I have worse poo poo in my queue.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Gawain The Blind posted:

I liked ep 2 better than the pilot. I'm a little disappointed, not because it doesn't follow the comics, which I liked but have no idea how anyone could translate to a tv show, but because what they did make is so formulaic. I liked The Mentalist, a lot. I liked D'Onofrio's law and order show. I thought Forever was okay, I liked most of the early seasons of Elementary, I don't mind the "charming-but-weird-wise-rear end and female straight-man" formula. But If you're going to make one of your main characters literally Satan, I would hope you could come up with something a little unique for him to do. So far? Not really.

But it's an okay show and honestly I have worse poo poo in my queue.

The whole "drive people into gibbering mental asylum madness" bit is at least novel enough to be interesting, but i think they honestly might have made him dive into 'good guy' a bit too fast - the more 'human' he gets the less you get the more interesting moments like the last bit of episode 2 or kidnapping two suspects from police custody to try and make them kill each other. I honestly would have preferred him to be a bit less genuine about the pop star in the first episode and have his empathy be more of a gradual thing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda dig the empathy though. He could give a sweet gently caress all about humanity in general, but the people he's met and likes/interests him? Do not gently caress with them.

I'm thinking he sees the whole police involvement thing as a way to punish people (which he hasn't gotten to do since he left hell), and a way to punish sinners that might have escaped his punishment after death since apparently people in hell aren't being let in or tortured or whatever.

It's a win/win for him. He's not bored, he gets to still ~sort~ of do his job/calling, and he gets to irritate the poo poo out of black angel guy who's name I can't recall at the moment.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I don't give a watery poo poo about the comic, I think this is a Fun and Good tv show. Tom Ellis is great, who cares if its a procedural when there is a witty character as one of the leads? And the daughter is adorable :3: I'm eagerly awaiting more, and I hope this show goes on for a few good seasons.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

who cares if its a procedural when there is a witty character as one of the leads?

Literally the sales pitch of every single one of these shows.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They're going to run out of devil themed songs by the half-way point of the season...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Literally the sales pitch of every single one of these shows.
I liked Forever, I really liked Castle, and I loved House.

If I bothered to watch Elementary, I would probably watch it too.

Does that make me or the networks the problem?

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Random Stranger posted:

They're going to run out of devil themed songs by the half-way point of the season...

That's exactly what I thought. Wish there was a playlist somewhere. CW does it with its shows, but I'm not sure FOX does.

I liked the second episode. There's a lot of complaints about procedurals, but they really do feel like easy puzzles your brain solves along with the characters and claps because it got it right in the end. I don't think this show has any grand twists in mind, but I like it and I lost Castle, so this'll do.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I kinda dig the empathy though. He could give a sweet gently caress all about humanity in general, but the people he's met and likes/interests him? Do not gently caress with them.

I'm thinking he sees the whole police involvement thing as a way to punish people (which he hasn't gotten to do since he left hell), and a way to punish sinners that might have escaped his punishment after death since apparently people in hell aren't being let in or tortured or whatever.

It's a win/win for him. He's not bored, he gets to still ~sort~ of do his job/calling, and he gets to irritate the poo poo out of black angel guy who's name I can't recall at the moment.
Why should the Devil be a one-dimensional lord of evil? Imagine if you were a banished angel.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Not if they dive into Death Metal or something.

Liked the second episode less than the first, if only because it started straining a bit under the pressure of having a character breaking so many laws and not being properly arrested. I mean, Lucifer just set up a duel to the death on an open street and took an arrested man out of custody , I am pretty sure that lands you some time in jail. I mean, not that they could hold him, he broke out of hell and all, but still, I don't think "helped us solve another murder, sort of, even though there's no real evidence to back up his claim" is enough for anyone not to press charges.

Still, the acting is good enough, though I agree his change to have more empathy came sort of quick. Even if there were hints of it in the first episode. What I don't exactly like is his sudden change in attitude towards sin and all that. He seemed less interested in being responsible for those in the last episode but now he's sort of owning it, but kind of for the wrong reasons? I still liked the episode though and I am hoping for more.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Seriously, if I was the actual Devil, I'd probably act much like him in the show. I wouldn't care about humanity in general, but I'd certainly have some sort of feelings for people who interest me in some way. Whether it's someone who is just evil and causes misery to those around them which would delight me or if it's someone 'innocent' who goes against the grain like the cop who doesn't like a person but still goes out of their way to prove they are innocent.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I totally would have done the praying thing to slow time AND annoy my brother.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Random Stranger posted:

I'm been enjoying the songs they had.

Enjoyed the 2nd episode. Ending was sweet and the dual was pretty awesome. I hope him and his brother eventually do fight.

I hope we get more therapy sessions.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 2, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm been enjoying the songs they had.

Enjoyed the 2nd episode. Ending was sweet and the dual was pretty awesome. I hope him and his brother eventually do fight.

I hope we get more therapy sessions.

If the promo is any indication, you will get those sessions.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
In regards to the law breaking, I imagine he just does what he did over the speeding ticket. "Here, take this bribe and forget about it. You know you want to."

Should that fail, he is the devil, so I bet he brought one hell of a lawyer minion with him to go along with his bar tender.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Why should the Devil be a one-dimensional lord of evil? Imagine if you were a banished angel.

I wasn't meaning that he should be a one dimensional lord of evil but just more detached and amoral. It just struck me how weirdly genuinely emotional he apparently was with a random druggie pop star he made a deal with a few years ago even before she died. After being the lord of hell for an eternity you'd think he'd not be so quick to get emotional about random humans.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

I wasn't meaning that he should be a one dimensional lord of evil but just more detached and amoral. It just struck me how weirdly genuinely emotional he apparently was with a random druggie pop star he made a deal with a few years ago even before she died. After being the lord of hell for an eternity you'd think he'd not be so quick to get emotional about random humans.
I always assumed that he'd been out of the Hell game for a while by the time of the pilot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Random Stranger posted:

I wonder how many episodes until they use Sympathy for the Devil.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

computer parts posted:

I wonder how many episodes until they use Sympathy for the Devil.

Finale, but it's a cover.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Zebulon posted:

Also trying to have A Special Moment(tm) with her daughter, only for her to admit to already knowing about it (and bitch that it isn't even in HD) is also pretty hilarious.

I also thought it was a sly way of mocking the "think about the children" morons. Unless the parents have made it a thing, kids don't care about nudity (or the devil being a kind of good guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I think that's the first time an Eiffel Tower has been referenced and/or described on network TV.

• Locked thread