Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

aleksendr posted:

Its shorthand for "Universe" and come from the tv show Firefly, like a Cowboy would say "Ya'all" instead of "All of you"

And much like Firefly, star citizen will get canceled and people will go on and on about how great it was endlessly, while it lives on as a cosplay staple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

BMan posted:

Illfonic is using Star Citizen's business model for Revival, except with houses instead of ships. I say gently caress 'em.

That reminds me, did SotA collapse in on itself or what.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Beet Wagon posted:

I just spent the last three hours getting holes drilled in my teeth and it was more enjoyable than listening to this week's 10FTC.

I started to say "What's the difference?" but then realized that dental work accomplishes something, is good for you, and costs less.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Better be a nice single malt or GTFO

No it was a hot toddy because i'm sick and also gay

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Drone posted:

Can confirm is gay. Seriously tho never heard of a hot toddy before lel.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Drone posted:

Whiskey tea in the winter is cool and good.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dusty Lens posted:

Whiskey tea in the winter is cool and good.

Agreed, it's a wonderful "cold night" beverage.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

fuzzknot posted:

I started to say "What's the difference?" but then realized that dental work accomplishes something, is good for you, and costs less.

True. Today only cost me like six hundred bucks, which is basically a bargain compared to SC.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Good god they built a four R290x computer?

That thing might legitimately draw 1.5-2.0kW at load

Even Sandi has 4x290's in her PC, because why not when you are using other people's money?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fuzzknot posted:

Also known as coriander or Chinese parsley if you have trouble finding it.

Just be aware that a lot of places are confused about the drat thing so always taste it before buying, Cilantro flavor is extremely characteristic.

http://tsgcookingschool.com/2015/04/difference-between-chinese-parsley-coriander/

beware of culantro too! I guess you won't be able to find it in Germany but beware of that vile poo poo (I've seen idiots somehow confuse it with cilantro. Yes, the name is similar you dolts.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eryngium_foetidum

Finally, as long as the avocados are right, feel free to mess with the recipe to cater to your taste. For example the recipe posted calls for lemon and lime but you can use one or the other if you wish (Mexicans don't really like lemon that much, it's all about limes and key limes)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 2, 2016

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Drone posted:

Just spent the evening playing ED on the couch and drinking whiskey and it was great, I plan to do this more often.

Substitute "evening" with "end of lunch break" and "playing ED on the couch" with "in the restroom," and you'll have it.

Tragically, this is the only way my coworker and I can deal with our idiot boss's meetings.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Better be a nice single malt or GTFO

Agreed. I refuse to do blends.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

trucutru posted:

It's not that hard. Let me help:

1) Record the lines you were given while trying to sing.
2) Realize that your lines will be used in a dumb video that nobody is going to take seriously. (Sure, r/dereksmart will make fun at you)
3) Don't, I repeat, do not give a gently caress about the quality of your singing, it's probably better than "Friday" anyways
4) Give recording to bootcha.

OK then.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

fuzzknot posted:

Blends are perfectly good for cooking or mixed drinks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuzzknot posted:

This presumes he's not in the Stimpire

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

can someone explain to me what is 'goon culture'?

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
One picture of my catte looking cute.

The other of him looking like ben.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

trucutru posted:

Just be aware that a lot of places are confused about the drat thing so always taste it before buying, Cilantro flavor is extremely characteristic.

http://tsgcookingschool.com/2015/04/difference-between-chinese-parsley-coriander/

beware of culantro too! I guess you won't be able to find it in Germany but beware of that vile poo poo

Finally, as long as the avocados are right, feel free to mess with the recipe to cater to your taste. For example the recipe posted calls for lemon and lime but you can use one or the other if you wish (Mexicans don't really like lemon that much, it's all about limes and key limes)

Oh God culantro NO. I better make sure I explain this one to Bootcha.

Also, agreed on the lime > lemon; all my Mexican recipes call for lime, and I can't disagree. I think lime is much fresher and zestier. I only like lemon in about three things: lemon meringue pie, lemon pound cake, and the lemon in my sauce for trout a la creme.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

I've got to give it to Zealot, I think more people have read about the fourth stimpire than that have read the Martian.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Kakarot posted:

Wait..I just realized this isn't in the SC sub..

It's a good community of good people, who just want to sit back and enjoy talking about squadron 42. :)

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Ash1138 posted:

Because I don't know about business, does this just mean that CIG gets to deduct that amount when filing their taxes because they've spent that much to expand their UK operations because it means they're helping the UK economy by adding more jobs, renting office space, etc. and that all this has happened over the last year or two so it's not like it's a big infusion of cash to the UK studio all of a sudden?

The article about the US investment in the UK company is merely a hint at how much the US company has paid the UK company for services rendered. There is no capital investment.

The motion capture and other Foundry 42 Ltd operating costs will need to be actually paid. Foundry 42 Ltd has not shipped anything and does not sell anything so the actual cash has to come from somewhere. If Foundry 42 Ltd is incurring these costs, they have to pay these costs. If as the article notes Foundry 42 Ltd negotiated receiving payable tax credits based on their expenditure, it makes sense to put as many expenses through this company as possible to get as much tax credits as you can.

Assuming they filed the correct set of accounts then looking at the accounts for Foundry 42 Ltd for the period 24 September 2013 to 31 December 2014 shows that at that date, there was a ceiling of around £5m of non-capital expenses in Foundry 42 LTD and £6m invoiced. They spent £0.5m on fixed assets. Someone who has followed this closer could look at the UK team size and ponder burn rates for that period and hopefully come up with numbers lower than these.

If the article says US "investment" so far was £15m then you can start to assume that Foundry 42 Ltd's expenses/invoices to the US companies total a further £10m (15m less whatever the actual number was to December 2014) in 2015. However, things do start to become complicated here.

It is my understanding that at the end of January of 2015 the US company was no longer selling Star Citizen (but probably still had a pile of cash). All sales were now going through a UK subsidiary (Roberts Space Industries LTD) and presumably paying this money forward to CIG UK LTD which might now take up the position formerly held by the US company. But it is quite possible that the UK parent company had to transfer some/most/all the funds to the US company which still owned the IP and making the Star Citizen et al (and not making Squadron 42) and then the US company paid the UK subsidiary (Foundry 42 Ltd).

It seems unlikely that Foundry 42 Ltd only spent ~£12m in 2015 including the motion capture and continued burn rate and so I would suspect that CIG US and CIG UK (which both now have sources of income) both paid cash to Foundry 42 LTD in 2015.

The 2015 accounts are due at the end of September and we now know they are certain to be a full set of audited accounts after reaching audit level but we all know how deadlines work for Chris. Given they couldn't file non-trading company accounts on time, I wouldn't expect to ever really see these accounts.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:ohdear:

What's a skriddie? Should I be afraid of our skriddies? Is that an Eve thing?

I believe it's the modern parlance for 'script kiddie', meaning one who utilizes off the shelf 'sploits' to 'pwn' fools.

My mom won't let me near the PC since I killed the Printer drivers, though.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

EveOnlinePTSD.txt

loving word. I wonder if we blew up his jump freighter.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

A sacred bond of :tenbux: and agreeing to the Terms and Conditions of use.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Not swallowing the kool aid while still tasting it.

Also Catte.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

Even Sandi has 4x290's in her PC, because why not when you are using other people's money?

Star citizens deserve what they get

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

trucutru posted:

beware of culantro too! I guess you won't be able to find it in Germany but beware of that vile poo poo (I've seen idiots somehow confuse it with cilantro. Yes, the name is similar you dolts.).

I read somewhere that aversion to cilantro/coriander is actually an inherited genetic defect

I call it a defect because coriander is awesome

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Happy Sisyphus posted:

SerCypher posted:

One picture of my catte looking cute.

The other of him looking like ben.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

fuzzknot posted:

Substitute "evening" with "end of lunch break" and "playing ED on the couch" with "in the restroom," and you'll have it.

Tragically, this is the only way my coworker and I can deal with our idiot boss's meetings.

Pah, single malts. Give me a glass of Maker's Mark over most single malts any day.

I was told to get a bottle of Glen Livet and boy can i say i was disappointed. "One of the very best single malts available at under $150. You wont be disappointed!" :/

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iglocska posted:

I've got to give it to Zealot, I think more people have read about the fourth stimpire than that have read the Martian.

I sort of want to take all this unbridled stimpire love that goons in this thread have and see if we can get him to write a book.

It would be funny if he ended up on a list somewhere.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

just to be certain, did I read that they plan to have us manually fertilize our space crops in our space biodomes? like that's on the feature list?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://gfycat.com/ShorttermSereneGlassfrog

No way star Marine could ever recreate this.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I sort of want to take all this unbridled stimpire love that goons in this thread have and see if we can get him to write a book.

It would be funny if he ended up on a list somewhere.

You must mean the top of the best-seller lists, amirite?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I read somewhere that aversion to cilantro/coriander is actually an inherited genetic defect

This is correct, to some people cilantro tastes like soap. It is also obviously a defect and a source of deep personal shame.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Squadron 42 is most certainly going to be a console release. CIG hardly has a choice at this point. Sandi- even Sandi- is not foolish enough to think that they can continue to frack the sperm whales for more whale oil to power this monstrosity all the way into 2017.

She has spoken of "taking the pressure off existing backers" with some new campaigns intended to bring in younger (i.e. naive) pups so the older backers can have some relief. But whether she is having a brief bout of conscience or more likely acknowledging the upcoming shift, CIG knows the easy money (if its to be had) is now chasing dolphins in the Console waters (at least for SQ42, which is their pressing priority and on whose success the entire future of Star Citizen precariously rests.)

We all see the wicked calculus behind all this. Chris Roberts turbocharged the success of his crowdfunding campaign by appealing to the PC Master Race, telling them:

Chris Roberts posted:

"They said I was dead. They said the console was the future. Now they say mobile and tablets are the future. I say to you, the reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. I am a PC Game."

The early reaction to this false dichotomy bit of pandering was the rapturous response of PC enthusiasts (including us). Then by showing non-gameplay game footage, developed for them by the third party, they teased the hook and jerked hard when mouths closed around the bait.

It is hilarious in the bleakest way possible that after years of squeezing enormous funds out of that very audience with a bogus narrative ('fidelity' as a short hand for CPU/GPU intensive processing not available on consoles) and that dishonest formula (showing the backers non-gameplay game footage), CIG would be planning to pivot to the console market with Chris Roberts Personal Redemption Project (Squadron 42) WHILE LEAVING STAR CITIZEN / PTU DEVELOPMENT ON THE BACKBURNER.

Yet everything they've said recently quietly points towards this as the plan, with the exception of the Hotas development (which has been two years coming).

It probably should be noted that Squadron 42 doesn't have to be a homerun hit in order to keep the lights on. It could be a MetaCritic 50 game and still find some takers. Since CIG will keep selling ships all the while, even as development on the PTU crawls slowly due to lack of prioritization, this plan to muddle ahead just might financially work, even if the outcome is the development on Star Citizen flounders for all of 2016.

Chris and Sandi are nothing if not unrepentant. When Star Citizen backers figure out they've been used a Stage One booster rocket to get CIG off the ground and into the upper atmosphere just so they can be jettisoned as the rest of the rocket powers ahead, they're going to be pissed. As well they should be. Yet CIG has barred the exits at this point with the revised TOS, so good luck to them getting some financial relief. Chris and Sandi JDGAF.

Oh, and if PC Master Racer SC backers don't already have enough bile in their mouths from that, the worse news is that if this plan somehow does end up getting CIG's coffers filled enough to bring the PTU to a credible state of completion, it'll be time to buy new PCs.

Derek Smart posted:

I told you this already-- as you can see in my blog. This is not news. They are crooks and the hour of their judgment is at hand. I can not say more but something glorious is coming. Two weeks.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

just to be certain, did I read that they plan to have us manually fertilize our space crops in our space biodomes? like that's on the feature list?

Yup.

2014 Japan might have 98% percent automated vertical lettuce farms but in space, you spread poo poo by hand.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

grimcreaper posted:

Pah, single malts. Give me a glass of Maker's Mark over most single malts any day.

I was told to get a bottle of Glen Livet and boy can i say i was disappointed. "One of the very best single malts available at under $150. You wont be disappointed!" :/

Yeah I'm generally like this at single malts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVQET39hwsU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

I'm pretty sure AMD gives those away to developers

Not defending Sandi, just saying she probably found a stupider way of spending backer cash

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It's true. I'm a mutant, cilantro tastes like Dawn dish soap.

Iglocska posted:

You must mean the top of the best-seller lists, amirite?

Among others, yes. Maybe we could get this dude into Oprah's Book Club.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

I'm pretty sure AMD gives those away to developers

If they'll take them.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

fuctifino posted:

It's ok, they were remaindered.

\
:lesnick:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

trucutru posted:

3) Don't, I repeat, do not give a gently caress about the quality of your singing, it's probably better than "Friday" anyways

Ah, true. Now I feel better about mine. Everyone should. Just bear that in mind. "Still a better song than 'Friday.'"

aleksendr posted:

Blends are perfectly good for cooking or mixed drinks.

Yeah. A whiskey cake or something is the only way to get rid of a failed new whiskey. That, or taking it to a local hockey party since they'll drink anything. Seriously. I had this DISGUSTING bottle of homemade coffee liquor from an old stagehand friend that I had for years because I couldn't stand drinking it but didn't want to throw it away either. Finally, I took it to a hockey party with Bootcha, and they drank it all. They hated it, but they drank it. I'll bear that in mind next time I have a whiskey fail.

Nobody is.

Happy Sisyphus posted:

fuzzknot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

If they'll take them.

If nothing else they can give them to backers as first price in a lovely contest

...that the backer then fails to ebay away I guess

• Locked thread